5.0 out of 5 stars Explores the Many Meanings of the Word, Up
Published on February 24, 2001 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars good day
I think this book was a good book. I would recamend it to everyone. it was a fun book. it was a favorite of mine.
Published on December 8, 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Explores the Many Meanings of the Word, Up, February 24, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
Children are normally confused by the multiplicity of meanings that a simple word can have when they start reading. Dr. Seuss has written a book here to can allow you to help your child understand that problem by looking at what "up" can mean in different contexts. The beautiful watercolor and inked outline illustrations by Quentin Blake provide great context for these meanings.
"Up! Up! The sun is getting up.
The sun gets up
so UP with you!"
Thus, this book begins. You can see that Dr. Seuss has already connected the idea of the sun rising above the horizon in the east with your rising from your bed. The book goes on to explore all the things that can rise. These includes ears on a rabbit, hands, whiskers, and eyes.
Once he goes into eyes, he then points out that many living creatures have eyes (including worms, frogs, butterflies, whales, and insects).
Then, Dr. Seuss returns to "up" and gives new meanings. These include taking something from a lower position to a higher one (like putting your feet up by walking on your hands), throwing things into the air (like balls), guiding things into the air (like kites), climbing (like going up a mountain -- Mt. Dill-ma-dilts in this case), and building mechanisms that can go up (like an elevator or a ferris wheel).
Then, he returns ingeniously to the original concept of arising from bed:
"Wake ever person,
pig and pup,
till EVERYONE
on Earth is up!"
Then comes the surprise ending that will keep you and your child chuckling for years.
At first, you may just think the ending is there simply for humor, but it actually extends your child's understanding of what saying "up" means in terms of cause and effect.
The book has all of the qualities I look for in an early reader. The language is simple. There is a limited vocabulary of short words. The illustrations tie in clearly to the words. The story is interesting, humorous, and upbeat. A child can learn to recognize the key word, up, in just a few readings.
After your child has mastered this wonderful story, I suggest that you encourage your child to use this book to identify synonyms for "up" which will extend the value of the book. For example, you can use "arise" or "rise" in many of the contexts. Then you can discuss how a speaker or a writer chooses which word version of a concept to use.
May all of your child's learning experiences be UP to the ones available in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighful!, October 8, 1998
By A Customer
An understated, masterful progression building steadily from the simple to the complex, finally culimating in a classic punch-line. The draw of this book is so great that even though my three children have, almost, outgrown it, while browsing for more "mature" titles, I just had to see if it was available since our copy is in such a tattered state that it will never survive the next generation of children to hopefully invade my home. Though almost fifteen years have past since I last read this book to a toddler, so lingering and delightful is the text that I find I can still recite the story verbatim; when requested by my cool teenagers! And as always, "Dr. Suess's illustrations only add to the pleasure. Having children is a wonderful excuse to enjoy such juvenile masterpieces!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss let's somebody else draw his book on "Up", June 21, 2004
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
"Great Day for Up" is a unique Dr. Seuss book and you can tell this just by looking at the cover. That is because while the book is written by Dr. Seuss it features the jolly drawings of the English artist Quentin Blake. Until this point every time I have read a book written by Dr. Seuss it was also illustrated by Dr. Seuss and when somebody else did the drawings Dr. Seuss used the name Theo. LeSieg (which is "Geisel" backwards). So the fact that this is a real "Dr. Seuss" book drawn by somebody else is pretty special.
This Bright and Early Book provides rhymed text and illustrations introducing the many meanings of the word "up" as Seuss and Blake show beginning readers that this is a "Great day for up!" You get the point half way through the book but little kids should be able to hand on longer, especially when they are reading the book for themselves. Besides, by the end of "Great Day for Up" we get to the point where "EVERYONE on Earth is up!" (with one very important and rather ironic exception).
As with all of the Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners what you have here is a brief and funny story, where the words are few and easy, there is a catchy rhythm, and the pictures are happy and colorful clues to the text. These are designed for an even lower age group than the Bright and Early Books that followed "The Cat in the Hat," which was the "Harry Potter" of its day when it came to encouraging even pre-schoolers to discover the delights of reading for themselves. This is not one of the most interesting volumes in the series, but overall these books were a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, October 13, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
An understated, masterful progression building steadily from the simple to the complex, finally culimating in a classic punch-line. The draw of this book is so great that even though my three children have, almost, outgrown it, while browsing for more "mature" titles, I just had to see if it was available since our copy is in such a tattered condition that it will never survive the next generation of children to hopefully invade my home. Though more than 15 years have past since I last read this book to a toddler, so lingering and delightful is the text that I find I can still recite the story verbatim- when requested by one of my cool teenagers! And as always, "Dr. Suess's" illustrations only add to the pleasure. Having children is a wonderful excuse to enjoy such juvenile masterpieces!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it's tough getting out of bed on a school day, but it's a "Great Day for UP"!, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
What a positive book this is! From the beautiful, watercolor illustrations of Quentin Blake, to happy rhymes and rhythms of Dr. Seuss, I don't know how someone could read this book to a child and not have both reader and "read-ee" feeling happy to be alive! This neat little book tells the story of earth's creatures - both human and non-human, but without Seuss's usual nonsensical creatures - awaking to a new day, and teaches various meanings of the word, "UP". It's funny, because the illustrations get brighter, busier and full of activity... right up until the last page, showing a child snug in his bed and saying, "Except for me. Please go away. No up. I'm sleeping in today." Reminds me of trying to wake up my own two grown sons on school days! (Never seemed to have that same challenge on the weekends, until they became teenagers!) I'm not sure why Theodor Geisel retained his usual pen name of "Dr. Seuss" for this book, since he typically wrote under the pen name of Theo. LeSieg (Geisel spelled backward) for books that he authored but didn't illustrate. Whatever the reason, the illustrations and simple words, rhymes and rhythms work so well together - such a happy book!

I've been fortunate these past almost six years to have the opportunity to babysit our two grandsons, and fortunately, they're already awake when they get here, so now my son has that job (what's that they say about paybacks?) Both grandsons mirror their dad's "slow-to-wake-up" tendencies even when it comes to naps, though. I've read this book enough to them that I (and they!) have some of the words memorized, so sometimes when I hear the younger one stirring (the older grandson is now in all-day kindergarten), I'll start whispering words from the book... "Up! Up! You! Open up your eyes! You worms! You frogs! You butterflies!", to which his little voice will respond softly from his baby bed with, "Up whales! Up snails!" Very cute and funny. We sure have gotten our money's worth out of these Seuss books. When it came time for our younger grandson's first Christmas, he was just 9 months old. Grandpa & I thought it would be a better idea - since we already had an overabundance of toddler toys in the house that our older grandson no longer played with - to have his gifts that year be the beginning of a complete collection of Dr. Seuss books. The older one (4 year age difference) was able to start enjoying the "Beginner Books" series (age 4-8) immediately, and the (now 22 month old) younger one has graduated from board books to this "Bright and Early Books" series, with the clever tag line of being "for Beginning Beginners" (age 3 & under).

"Great Day for UP" is the ninth of a dozen books in the "Bright and Early Books" series. In case you're interested, the other books in the series are: "The Foot Book", "The Eye Book", "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?", "In A People House", "Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!", "The Shape of Me and Other Stuff", "The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice", "There's a Wocket in My Pocket!", "Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?", "Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!", and "The Tooth Book".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
What A Fun Book for the Grandkids. I'm adding to their Dr. Suess library. A big help for the ones who are learning to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Dr. Seuss!, September 6, 2013
This is such a great book about all things that go up! I love the illustrations & the rhythm of the rhymes, and so does my two-year-old. It's not too long, either, so she actually pays attention all the way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
Not as great as I remembered it. It doesn't keep my 2 year old's attention. Maybe when he is older he will like it more,.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
Another great choice for young children! I have always loved this book! It is a great story and easy to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) (Hardcover)
How can it be anything but great?! We all love Dr. Seuss books. They make great gifts for anyone you know!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R))
Great Day for Up (Bright & Early Books(R)) by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - August 12, 1974)
$8.99 $7.22