Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Great Expectations: Becoming a Dad: The First Three Years
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 2, 2011
Like many new fathers, I've read a lot of books on pregnancy and parenting. Most of these book run the gamut from poor attempts at humor and unverified "brian boosting" exercises, to helpful, pragmatic, and enjoyable. Carr's book falls deep in the latter category. An outstanding read brimming with real advice and compassion, presented in a logical, easy to follow format. I find myself going back to his book time and time again, and expect it to be a great source of reference and inspiration over this incredible Odyssey. A "must have" for all expecting / new fathers out there.
on June 7, 2013
I got this book for my husband as we are preparing to have our first baby. He loves the "voice" and pacing of the book. I looked at a lot of different "dad" books, and found many of them to be condescending or just using humor as a way of portraying minimal information. This book is well organized, informative, positive and concise.
on December 19, 2010
This book is a great tool for new dads. It's written from a "been there, done that" perspective so that you will be prepared for anything life, or your wife, throws at you. It really does a good job of preparing you for the auxiliary changes that come along with pregnancy and fatherhood. I love all the sidebars and nuggets of info, it's really organized well. Great book!
on December 8, 2011
My husband loved reading this book (in the bathroom) as I was pouring over multiple volumes of baby and birthing books. Of course, most first-time moms are going to read a lot. But this was a great book that covered the same topics in "man speak" so that my husband and I could have good conversations. I also just felt encouraged that he was learning the basics about caring for a newborn, a post-partum wife, and even learning to anticipate how fatherhood would change his life. Great book for any man, but especially the non-reader or give-me-the-bottom-line type.
on March 14, 2012
We borrowed several "preparing for fatherhood" style books at the library, and this one seemed the most helpful to my husband. He didn't get the chance to finish it before it was due, and we were impressed enough to buy it. It's something you can refer to for several years.
on June 28, 2014
IF YOUR HUSBAND DOES NOT HAVE IDEA WHAT TO DO ,A AND HOW TO SUPPORT YOU IN THIS PROCESS.. THIS IS A BIBLE FOR HIM! YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO GET INVOLVED THE FATHER IN THE PROCESS, BECAUSE BOTH MADE THE BABY, AND BOTH HAVE TO BE IN THE SAME PAGE. SO..IT IS A MOST BUY!
on July 24, 2014
First-time father here (also a first-time reviewer on Amazon). I'm not interested in being a "cool dad"--I want to be a loving, fair, strong, and supportive father--and so, to date, I've successfully resisted registering for all the "Dude to Dad" workshops (will other attendees be arriving on skateboards?) and have so far refused to read any articles in that vein.

I want to be parenting with my wife every step of the way, during and after her pregnancy, to help my child understand and thrive in the world--and this book is the first resource I've found that was specifically written to help men achieve that goal.

During the first two trimesters of my wife's pregnancy, I've been feeling my way along, trying to help with chores and being supportive, but this book is helping me to answer deeper questions. What kind of father was my Dad? What do I want to emulate in him? In what ways can I explore opportunities to be my own kind of father? What has changed in the world since I was a kid? How can I be ready to respond to that? The author talks about his own experiences as a father of three and presents helpful quotes and short case studies of other men who are working to be the best father and husband they can be.

Though I've always expected parenting to be fun, exhausting, and a lot of work, Becoming a Dad is showing me how to better understand and address my anxieties about becoming a provider, and to more fully appreciate my role in this family (and in history). It's also encouraging me to ask for advice from male friends who've already gone through this, and to make my relationship with my wife even stronger as we prepare for our daughter's birth in a few weeks. I also like the many surprising but common-sense ways we can be useful ("Don't take a bumpy road to the hospital").
on February 14, 2014
My husband has read almost the entire book already and actually enjoys reading it! After sharing with me a few of the things he has read, I wanted to read it too! As a Psych major I really appreciate that the author is an LCSW. The author focuses on developmental stages and how to appropriately and lovingly respond to these different stages and behaviors. I also appreciate how the author speaks to soon-to-be-fathers in a realistic and non-judgmental tone. Many other books that I looked into spoke as though being a father was a chore and that men have to "deal" with their wives as they go through pregnancy. However, this book approaches pregnancy and fatherhood as a loving partnership between two parents raising their child.
on October 22, 2013
I purchased this book for my husband and so far he seems to not mind it. Its pretty straight forward and from the sections I've read, as well as what my husband has said, the book offers some fairly reasonable suggestions on "becoming a dad", or parent in general. I like how simple many of the sections are, compared to many of the "for mom" books out there. I would recommend this book to other readers.
on January 28, 2012
The first couple of chapters that are specifically for guiding new fathers through the realities/emotions of parenthood and pregnancy. As a first time mom, I used this book as a reference for baby products and nomenclature, developmental milestones and what your baby will respond to. It may be too succinct on these points though my attention span and time available was too short for other books. It was also helpful for me to read the first chapters along with my husband and use them as a starting point for baby/parenting discussions. The best part is that it is short, succinct, and matter of fact without being dry. It is not one of the comedic dad books for for light reading, but it is easy to go through 50 short pages before baby arrives to gain a boost in confidence. Perfect for the non-micromanager and not condescending for a husband.