5.0 out of 5 stars plastic would have been better than cardboard, BUT....
we still absolutely LOVE this glow-in-the-dark planets and stars kit, along with the Glow Moon and Stars that we also purchased from Amazon. We put the moon and stars on the ceiling, and the planets along the wall.

For a child who was very afraid of the dark, this made bedtime go MUCH smoother, and way more fun.

A couple tips:
1) When you...
Published on April 28, 2010 by Elizabeth Mack

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed.....
Published on June 16, 2009 by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars plastic would have been better than cardboard, BUT...., April 28, 2010
This review is from: Great Explorations Glow In The Dark Planets & Stars, quantity 30 (Misc.)

A couple tips:
1) When you start getting the kids ready for bed, put their bedroom light on so you can get the planets, moon, and stars "charged up" with the light. 5-10 minutes is all they need.

2) After lights, we sit on the bed together and enjoy the beautiful night sky.
We keep a flashlight (the kind that plugs into the wall to charge) Dorcy 41-1045 5MM LED Rechargeable Flashlight with Built-In AC Adaptor in the kids bedroom, and when the stars start to fade out, we use the flashlight to brighten a few of them up. (you can do this while still sitting on the bed). It's a fun way to wrap up the night. This helped them learn the planets because we'd brighten one up with the flashlight so it would glow, and then talk about which planet it was, what made it different from the other planets, etc.

We've also given these as gifts to other kids, and they've been a real hit.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed....., June 16, 2009
Rachel (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
These Planets & Stars were bought to entice my preschooler into his room at night.There were 9 planets and 21 stars, both in different sizes. I thought that the planets would be plastic like the stars, but they were not - they were cardboard with the colored planet coated in areas with the glow in the dark substance. This was not what I was looking for. Also, the kit came with adhesive putty to stick the planets and stars to the wall - not what I was expecting, I was anticipating more of a plastic, stick on star/planet. The positives of this product is that it is cheap for the number of pieces you receive. This kit wasn't bad (especially for the price) but just was not what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, nice and easy to install, July 6, 2009
Alfa Villa (Guadalajara, Mexico) - See all my reviews
As expected stars and planets were well received by my child, he did complain and it is a minor issue, that the planets were not glowing, they actually do, but the starts glow so much more that they blind out the planet's glow. Don't place stars too close to the planets, this will help a bit. It'd be good if the company checks if they can make the planets glow a bit more.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but..., January 10, 2013
I bought this for my 5 year old son who's very into planets right now. We already had some glow in the dark stars and wanted to add the planets. This kit included both, which seemed great. Now here' s the disappointing part. While the stars are a sturdy plastic and glow for a reasonable amount of time, the planets are a very thin cardboard that doesn't glow well. The planets have a fuzzy kind of coating which has the faintest glow, but really not enough to be seen well. They are detailed enough to look good when the lights are on, but to not glow in the dark is very disappointing, especially for an excited kid. If the planets were made out of the same plastic as the stars, this would probably be a great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh My Stars - What Junk!, August 25, 2011
This was a huge disappointment. The planets are just pieces of cardboard that do not glow at all. The stars are OK but the material they give you to stick them on the ceiling or wall is useless. I went to craft store to find something better to hold them on the ceiling and found a better set with better material for sticking them on the ceiling and the set was only $1 compared to the $8 I spent on this.

I do not blame this on Amazon and out of the 100+ items I have bought from Amazon, this is the only one that I was unhappy with.

Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, October 5, 2008
I accidently brought two (2) of these, BUT U know what, it worked out great, as they are very easy to work with and great effects... Glows great and gives the effect I was looking for. Used them in my new born's room for the theme we chosed (mOon & Stars), the extra one is being used in my own bedroom.

Amir (T'dad)

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 years old and still love these on my ceiling :), May 14, 2013
I had these since I was a little kid and kept them on my ceiling forever. I have missed them since I moved, and I am glad I found these again (its actually the same set that I got about 15 years ago!). I REALLY wish these came with the Sun so the solar system could be set up. It does come with all of the planets though!

- They arent overly bright, so they dont strain your eyes when the lights go out
- They are relaxing to look at before falling asleep
- May want to get an extra pack of stars to fill the room a bit more. (i got a pack of 150 on amazon, and that was plenty)

**I recommend getting different tack to put these up with. The tack that come with wont stick as long, and it take the paint off when it falls off (Elmer's Tac 'N Stik Reusable Adhesive works great though)

5.0 out of 5 stars The stars, they glow...., January 3, 2014
These stars and planets have made lots of people happy, since I have them in my car, affixed to the headliner.

Surprisingly, the sticky putty that is included in this even works on my car's headliner, where not even heavy duty tape will.

The planets glow very well and very long, so do the planets. The stars come in different shapes and sizes, which is great!

You get a full galaxy for a small price, what's not to love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars for my 2 year old, February 9, 2013
My son loves these on his ceiling. They fall off the ceiling quite a bit, but every pack I have ever bought has, so I think its just the tack that comes with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars stars glow but planets not so much, March 21, 2010
Rachael P. "mom of 2" (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews
The planets are colorful but don't really glow much. The stars work better for that purpose. The planets are "pretty" but it's thin cardboard material and they aren't really big (think softball size down to golf ball). The sticky stuff that comes w/ it is in short supply but I found that you can use a teeny amount and it sticks well enough.

Great Explorations Glow In The Dark Planets & Stars, quantity 30
$6.32
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.