5.0 out of 5 stars Android Version

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Logic and Poor Play
Published 20 months ago by Winderlust

5.0 out of 5 stars Android Version, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
Upon getting my new Samsung Galaxsy S2, one of the first apps I looked for was Bridge Baron. For the Android, it had recently come out (November 2011). It has much more flexibility than I expected. You can choose from a wide array of convention card settings, duplicate or rubber scoring, skill level, game speed, etc. You can choose deals according to if they are part score, game, slam or no trump. The choices of how you want to play go on. I haven't had any trouble with the program. I thought the settings would be more limited. Glad I was wrong. For comparison, I use Bridge Baron 16 on my laptop (yes, its time to upgrade). I also recommend a touch screen pen if you have clumsy fingers. I don't find it necessary, but if I'm in a moving vehicle, it helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably Good, December 26, 2011
BLS (Rye Brook, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
The app seems to run fairly well on the Kindle Fire and is similar to the PC version of Bridge Baron, but there are a few quirks. As far as I can tell, there is no way to fine tune convention card settings or even see a listing of all of the conventions associated with a given card. Also, the "hint" function does not work for bidding. Instead of providing a hint for the next bid it simply provides an interpretation of prior bids (the hint function does work for declarer play). Hopefully these couple of glitches will be fixed in the near future with a patch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Logic and Poor Play, April 13, 2013
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
I totally respect Richard Pavlicek's system for learning Bridge, but his high rating of this weak Bridge software was wrong. Bridge is a complex game with infinite game variations, but the "American 5 Card Major" convention and sub-conventions should not be that hard to codify in a computer game. Bridge Baron does a poor job of doing it. Also, as South seat your North partner rarely gets a supporting hand yet alone an opener. They call them random deals but they are not. Why the developers would stack the deck against the Bridge learner is anyone's guess. The problem I believe is there is lagging interest in Bridge and no competition for a good Bridge game. So Bridge Baron put together a quick and dirty computer game for a shrinking market. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy this game. I hate to say I have yet to find a good replacement. I'm still looking. Still it's a poor effort from Bridge Baron.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good bridge game for my Kindle Fire, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
When you want a good app for the card game bridge, you always look for Bridge Baron first. It wasn't available when the Kindle Fire first came out, but thankfully, now it is. Lots of options for my convention card, duplicate bridge and rubber bridge, and the robots seem to be as strong as the ones on my PC - unfortunately, I think that means I need to improve my own bridge game!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
I saw the Bridge Baron app and thought it would be convenient for practice while I was away from my laptop, which has Bridge Baron installed. I had expected to be able to do many of the same things that were possible on the laptop version, such as setting common conventions. I was disappointed to find that the Android app was very restricted in that area. It would have been helpful to have found about about those differences in the app write-up, before I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge on Fire Bridge on Fire !, March 2, 2012
Soft W are (North America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
Bought this for the Kindle Fire. Runs well, stable, reliable, quick. Touch of the cards is a little tricky, or maybe my fingers a too big. Has some good flexibility with conventions, replay hands, skip hands, etc. Can definitely play bridge as much as your heart's desire in a variety of forms.

I'm a fairly new bridge player so I was hoping that the game would help me learn how to properly play the game. It does that but it doesn't necessarily make it easy to learn. Better AI in terms of explaining what should have been done and why in both bidding and play would be very helpful. Instead of telling me to play the 8 of clubs next, it would be more helpful to know why the computer thinks playing the 8 of clubs next is the right way to go (example - team doesn't have enough trump cards to make the bid, you need to finesse an off-suit, clubs seems to be your best chance because ...). For the price of this application, I was kind of expecting that type of capability/assistance/knowledge transfer.

Overall, I'm happy to have the application, happy that I spent the money on it, like playing it, and have become a better player because of it (having fun and learning too - such a deal). So, I do love it (5 stars) but a few knowledge-based self help improvements could turn it into a "must have" for most bridge players.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridge Baron bought for Kindle Fire, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
This is a very limited game. I have been playing Bridge Baron for years and this version is not worth the $19.95.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT like the PC version, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
quick score less than POOR.
play is about average, maybe a little better than average.
this not anywhere near the quality of a $20.00 game

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridge Baron, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
this version of BB is not worth the money. There are no instructions .It seems impossible to go back and change the screen. I have used this on other computers and it is excellent but the version for android on a tablet is a complete waste of money.But now that they have my $20 -do they cars?

1.0 out of 5 stars what is my opinion of bridge baran on kindle?, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Bridge Baron (App)
It is missing a vital element as there is no indication of vulnerability.It provides levels of play (beginner,intermediate and advanced) but does not detail what systems other than 2/1 are included at that level. Does it include Jacoby transfers,1430 key card,and dopi just to name a few very basic systems. Until more user friendly answers are provided, it is not much of a program.

Bridge Baron
Bridge Baron by Great Game Products Inc.
$19.99