Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

87%
13%

on March 30, 2005
I bought a different remaster than this version, but same music, so I feel free to review it for you here.

With the exception of Curtis Fuller, Jay Jay Johnson was probaly the most swinging, lyrical, and well respected trombonist to come out of the 1950's and 1960's. His friend Kai Winding is here for the ride. This was one of many albums the talented trombone two made together, as leaders, sharing the spotlight.

This album has many 1950's show tune influences, and some nice bebop moments. The overall disk swings. Complimenting J.J. and Kai is Bill Evans, on piano, Paul Chambers and Tommy Williams, (not Tony Williams on drums, which is what I thought at first) on bass, Roy Haynes and Art Taylor on drums.

From the opening track, This Could Be The Start Of Something Big, you know this is going to be a killer cut! This is real jazz! The two battle it out, but the friendly collaboration feeling is still there.

If you dig 1960's trombone, or just 1960's jazz, you'll love this disk. An enjoyable listen from start to finish.
on May 12, 2004
Is there any better trombone bop from the 60's than these two chasing each other around the studio? Bill Evans on the 88's throughout, Paul Chambers and "newcomer" Tommy Williams sharing the bass duty, and Roy Haynes and Arthur Taylor on skins; talent exceptionale. "Blue Monk" is my favorite track on the disk, JJ wrote the arrangement and it stands solid as a driving home from a long day standard. "I Concentrate on You" floats and lilts, has me singing along through the opening duet and dancing in my seat with the solos. "This could be the Start of Something Big", "Georgia on My Mind", and "Side By Side" all are great fun popular standards while "Trixie" and "Going, Going, Gong!" were composed for this album and are quite a hoot.
on January 26, 2001
Of all their albums together, this is my favorite. First, Impulse has done an out of this world job of remastering the recording, so that it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Second, both Kai and JJ are in tip-top shape doing some really great tunes. The solos are just wonderful and blend so well. Finally, who can beat the sidemen on this album, C'mon, Bill Evans? Paul Chambers? Roy Haynes? A spectacular album...
on October 2, 1999
Both these musicians are masters of the horn, and are great sidemen. That is, they work at blending as a group. And they picked some of the best tunes around. This sounds like two old friends jammin' in the basement. And its not as far out as some of J.J.'s other works.
on October 5, 1999
This is a great buy for any Trombone player who is interested in Jazz. JJ is widely considered the greatest jazz trombone player of all time, and uses soe magnificent slide work. Kai on the other hand is great in his own right. His sweet, smooth style souds great and I personally enjoy his playing more than JJ's because I like to listen to the smoother style. All in all this is a great cd and the only thing that could make it better would be the addition of a supporting brass section in addition to the rythym which is already there.
on April 2, 2013
I baught this for my son who just started playing the trombone this year. We heard at a seminar that it might be useful to him to hear some professional players. I wasn't sure what I was looking for and a friend suggested JJ - my 13 year old son loves this CD.
on August 24, 2011
Those of us who started listening to jazz in the 1950's will remember the unique sound produced by this legendary teaming of trombonists J.J.Johnson and Kai Winding, a combination of great technical ability and excellent taste. Neither Johnson nor Winding seeks the limelight and often it is difficult to tell where one leaves off and the other takes over. Add to this combination the artistry of Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers and Tommy Wiliams, alternating on double bass, and Roy Haynes and Arthur Taylor alternating on drums, and you have a classic recording. One that has been unavailable for many years, but now, thankfully, available at last on CD, with the original sleeve design and liner notes included.
on April 21, 2015
If you like the sweet golden oldies masterly performed by J.J. Johnson and Kai Winding, then this recording is for you. The interpretations are smooth and mellow, and reflect the sheer genius and talents of these two trombonists. The recording reflects their absolute synchronization, harmony, and the smooth blending of their trombones. A first-rate job of remastering this recording, which captures the clarity and dynamic range of JJ&K.
on April 25, 2012
I first heard the "Jay & Kay" duo trombone sound when I was growing up in the 50s. They made a number of albums with a unique sound. You always knew it was J.J. & Kai, just as you knew the Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond sound. If you are a jazz fan, you've got to hear these guys. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great Bill Evans on piano.
The CD gets off to a rousing start with "This Could Be the Start of something big." The harmonic structure is unique, & the
point-counterpoint interplay is understandable & astounding at the same time. It reminds me of the Joe Pass/Herb Ellis guitar stuff & the Brubeck/Desmond interplay as well.
I'm not going to bore you with accounts of each & every tune except to say that my favorite is T. Monk's "Blue Monk."
Just get this CD. You'll be glad you did.
on November 20, 2005
I have a couple other CDs of the two of them but this is just fabulous!!! Can't believe I haven't heard it before. They also do a couple of numbers with "Dave Brubeck at Newport"........this is toooo much!!!