Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate Beef, Kosher, 16 oz.
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on February 2, 2013
I love this stuff. I stir it into my morning coffee, my afternoon yogurt, and sometimes my evening tea. It mixes well, it's flavorless, and you can't tell it's in there. It digests easily, and aches and pains are fading. There are TONS of reasons why gelatin is a superfood. And this particular one is made from grass-fed, grass-finished beef, a serious plus in my book.

But...

What happened to the price?! At this moment you can get SIX cans of this stuff for less than $100 on the Great Lakes website -- that's $16.16 per can, INCLUDING shipping, as opposed to the current $37.89 per can, or $34.45 if you buy two. I can't bring myself to fault this wonderful product because of price gouging, so I'm giving it its fully deserved 5 stars. But I'm going elsewhere to buy it until the price comes back down.

Update:
I bought my first can of this product last November. As of this writing, the price per can is $21.98, which is a tad less than I paid on Amazon back then. It's still cheaper per pound on the company website, but if you're looking for a smaller quantity this is a good price.

And I still love it! Aches and pains have gone away and stayed away. I am feeding it to my arthritic cat (obviously in much smaller quantities) and it seems to be helping her quite a bit. Still a 5-star product.
106106 comments| 899 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2016
Great product,it dissolves easily in my iced tea.

Let me tell you a little about what I have been dealing with first for anyone else that this might help...
-I have 120 lbs to lose
-I have had 3 severe knee injuries(ironically from working out)
-because of the knee injuries I also developed a calcified cyst on the back of my heel as well as Plantar fascitis
-battle with low thyroid, insulin resistance and PCOS
-incredible joint pain when going up and down the steps and walking any distance

After 2 weeks on GL Collagen I have noticed the following changes
-first I began sleeping all the way through the night which NEVER happened before, and this was after two days of taking it.
-after a week and 3 days on it I was able to get right out of the bed without any pain and walked down the stairs like a normal person...you don't even know what a huge thing this is!!
- I have been able to exercise everyday without needing to take 3-4 Advil EVERY night due to knee pain.
-I have had increased energy, not the crazy kind but the steady kind that you are supposed to have
-I have been able to kick the sugar habit and have the energy to learn and cook healthy food.

So, to sum it up, this has been a huge blessing to me. I will never not take this product. It has allowed me to be on an even playing field to fight the battle against obesity. I will do a follow up after a month on the product. Hope this helps those that struggle with the same issues I battle.
1313 comments| 393 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2013
Let me begin by saying that I have multiple food allergies and intolerances which makes my selection of all consumable products very limited. My journey with Great Lakes products began with a very knowledgable and helpful company representative who answered all my questions professionally and precisely. When I received the product I was initially pleased by its quality, ease of use plus it is easy to dissolve and consume. After using it twice a day for a week I noticed a marked improvement in my arthritic joints, after two weeks my arthritis has improved 95%. Now it has been a month and as a bonus, my hair seems better — less fine and more strong — and even my skin seems better. The fact that it decreases my appetite and seems to calm me down is another advantage I wasn't expecting, though the bedtime portion does relax me enough to be able to go right to sleep. Do I recommend this product from Great Lakes? You bet I do!
1616 comments| 710 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
I've been taking this for almost four months now and besides skin, hair, and nail improvement I've seen menstrual cycle improvement that I had no idea would take place (collagen helps balance hormones). Ladies of the world, I am convinced that this stuff is the remedy for many women's biological issues. I began using this product because of a soft tissue (PCL) knee injury that would not heal over a period of six months with physical therapy. In one month I saw dramatic improvement in the injury, and after four months of twice-daily doses of this collagen I have full function in the knee. It is now part of my daily routine. After reading the studies, here's what I do to protect my investment. First, do not take this product while taking NSAID pain relievers (Advil) because they apparently inhibit the body's ability to absorb collagen. Next, you may consider taking extra vitamin C if you take more than one dose per day because collagen apparently binds with vitamin C and depletes what you take in. I added 1000 mg's to my day in 500 mg doses with the collagen (morning and evening). Finally, do not put this in milk. Milk is already saturated and the collagen does not dissolve well. I recommend drinking it in hot tea or coffee (my favorite) because you don't even know it's there!
22 comments| 355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2013
First, be sure to buy the GREEN Label and not the RED label. Collagen is the green, gelatin is the red which won't dissolve. The Green label collagen dissolves, no tastes and you can put it in anything! I love that! I put it in my 'healthy coffee' Gano Cafe 3-in-1 by Gano Excel USA Inc. - 20 Sachetsevery morning and again in the afternoon. One to two tablespoons a day as recommended. I ordered other collagen Doctor's Best Best Collagen Types 1 and 3, 7.1 Ounce (200-grams) and compared the labels. It is the VERY same. This is the cheapest and great quality.

Price: Holy crap on this site! What is $22.19 and UP I found else where for $9.81. If you go to the Great Lakes website you can get several cans much cheaper and for one can go to Supplement Warehouse.

Health benefits: My ND recommended this product and sold this product. I have had low bone density, I would forever have tendentious. For this reason I took this product. The hurting went away!! I could tell my tendons were getting stronger. I stopped getting injured so much. ( I was laid up for about three years)

What I didn't see coming was how strong my nails became. I never had nails. And did I mention STRONG nails. When I stop taking the collagen my nails got weaker. Kind of a nice barometer to knowing what's happening on the inside.

My hair started growing like crazy and was in much better condition. Being a survivor of a bad hair cut I was rather grateful! At times my hair would be dry besides how I torcher my hair. It seemed nothing that I did would improve my hair which says something internal is happening. Well within the first week my hair started growing fast and was no longer dry. Hmmmm.

Skin: So will you look younger? Yes you will! Seriously. I always look at what's happening with my face BUT if you google 'Chinese face reading' lines on your face are more about your health internally. Face lines can come and go (unless you are a smoker). Where I really noticed the difference was under my eyes, neck and the seller for me was my arms! That's an all over thing goin' on! I look much younger than my age. (59) That is some lucky genes and watch eating sugar and take collagen!

This is too simple to take for all that it does. As you age, yeah, we need this!!!
5555 comments| 654 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
One thing to note: if you've never had this before, you may need to start out as low as 1/4 tsp once a day and work your way up. If you're having gas pains or diarrhea you likely need to lower your amount.
33 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2015
Great Stuff, I'm a retired RN, so read labels very carefully. This is wonderful, mix it in my coffee in the morning an later in the day in my tea. I'm an active 84 year old--very few wrinkles which I think is because of the good things I eat and supplements I take. I juice fresh greens and add the collagen hydrolysate in last---even my foot doctor remarked I didn't need the bottoms of my feet trimmed at all--they were soft, smooth--I mentioned the collagen from Great Lakes--he remarked-"well it works"-my allergist said my skin looks like a 60 year old---I find my knees feeling better and I have been sleeping better too. Today I'm planting a bush I bought---then riding my bike------my Golden who is 13 has arthritis--I'm now adding a little to her water---she's walking much better every since. I worked till I was 79 then decided it was stupid I was caring for patients younger than me
so now doing all the things I put off--listen to an 84 plus gal---do something for you---take care of yourself now-it pays off!!!! Bonnie
44 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2015
This stuff is awesome. I didn't realize until I tried another brand how good I had it (you can find my review of the other brand through my profile). Yes, it is pricey, but you're getting a specialty product that you can't find in other places. If you want cheap gelatin, buy Knox. Ew, right?

I have moderate degenerative arthritis in my hand and take gelatin to help manage it (along with a topical ointment) instead of prescription anti-inflammatory pills with nasty side effects. This stuff keeps the pain to a minimum despite working on the computer all day and doing all sorts of regular daily tasks.

It *immediately* dissolves in hot or cold liquid. This is a big plus if you've tried other brands that are lumpy, gluey, and nasty. It gives my coffee a slightly foamy, latte-like froth that I enjoy. I mix in coconut oil and milk, and boom - morning bliss. It is essentially tasteless in coffee or tea. If you put it in water or a very light-tasting beverage, yes, you will taste the gelatin. Mix it with juice or something else, and you might not know it is there.

It's great for hair, nails, and skin - all of those claims are true. It just works.

The only *small* negative I have is that you lose some product with the container top - it's rough to get it all out near the end. I might have my husband McGyver a way to get it open and put it in a glass container. If that happens I'll post an update. For now, I'll sign off with - try the other products if you like and good luck to you. I will never be without Great Lakes again!

**Update - 09/09/2015** I still love it and it still works. I did, in fact, figure out a way to get every little bit out. Yay! If you are a child of the 80s like me, you might remember Peach Hi-C in a huge can. Mom would open that thing on 2 sides with a church key (for you youngsters and non-Southerners, that's a bottle opener with a curved end :)). I digress. I used a church key to open the top - it pretty much peeled away after I got it open (wearing gloves couldn't hurt! I used a towel). Then I poured every speck into a resealable glass container. Problem solved - hope this helps someone :)

**Updated - 11/13/2015** Hallelujah! Great Lakes heard the complaints about the container and fixed it! I bought the 2-pack and made the happy discovery...you just take off the top plastic lid and there is a pull tab. Once you discard the pull tab cover, you can either keep in the container with the plastic lid or put it in another container of your choice (I use a glass container with a gasket in the lid to keep it fresh). This is now a 6-star product!
review image review image
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2016
My hair has been thinning and I started taking this daily for about 3 weeks and I can already see the difference.
I take 2 TBSP with 1 TBSP of Metamucil fiber. You are suppose to take it twice a day but I've only been taking it once.
It's tolerable to drink since it works.
review image
on May 15, 2014
Hi everyone. I've been using this product since May 2nd, 2014.
Some background information:
I'm 22 with multiple knee and back injuries and a very busy schedule. For nearly one year after a traumatic event and in the midst of a full-time school and work schedule, I ate erratically, exhibited anorexic tendencies, forgot to eat, and hardly consumed any protein. My body started sagging, I lost weight like crazy, and developed deep crow's feet, lines at the corners of my mouth, and bags under my eyes. I started taking this supplement because I screwed up my digestive tract so badly that I could hardly take anything by mouth and I figured, since my body started to consume itself because I was so negligent regarding protein intake, this would be good for a transition into a more normalized diet. This has certainly delivered. I take one tablespoon morning and evening in my smoothie (made with almond milk without carageenan) and I've started to put on weight in lean muscle, the premature lines around my eyes are starting to vanish, and the ones at the corners of my mouth are totally gone. I feel SO much better, I am no longer sore all the time, nor am I hungry and irritable like I was when I neglected my nutrition. I tried jumping straight into a diet heavy in grass-fed meats, eggs, and non-homogenized/ raw/fermented dairy, but as I've said, my digestive tract was so off-kilter that my body totally rejected the food. This has been such a wonderful supplement because, only two weeks after starting to take it, I've begun reintroducing organ meat into my diet along with egg whites with great success (as long as it's in small quantities) and I am feeling absolutely incredible. Soon, I'm hoping to cut the dose and continue healing with a diet of whole foods. Thank you so much for helping me get better :)
0Comment| 303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse