5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Lodges ... amazing book, November 29, 1999
bishoff@gomontana.com (Yellowstone National Park, WY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
Wonderful content and photos ... I've lived and worked in Yellowstone for 20 years and had never seen the "once approved, never built" drawing of the Old Faithful Inn. have been to many of the "lodges" featured, and will use the book as inspiration to visit a few more! I've scooped up several for gift giving this holiday season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historians' Love "Great Lodges", August 10, 1997
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
From Lee Whittlesey, Park Historian Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Old Faithful Inn is the first lodge featured in Great Lodges of the West. The Inn is as much a part of Yellowstone National Park as the geyser it is named after. The author covers its history and architecture and brings to life a much loved landmark. From Deirdre Shaw, Curator Glacier National Park, Montana: Christine Barnes has pulled together some little known history about the historic lodges of Glacier National Park and the region, then spun a story history buffs and park visitors will truly enjoy. Historic photos from the park archives along with architectural drawings and color photography makes Great Lodges of the West both informative to read and beautiful to look at. From David Wark, Historic Architect Crater Lake Lodge rehabilitation project: Great Lodges of the West tells the important story of Oregon¹s Crater Lake Lodge. Christine Barnes informs the reader of a Lodge built on naive optimism, its deterioration, and the real threat of demolition. She then illustrates how the Lodge¹s rebirth is evidence of what citizens can accomplish when they value their architectural heritage

5.0 out of 5 stars The most appreciated book I have ever given, August 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
Give this one with a pair of airline tickets

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserve these beauties., December 22, 2013
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
Beautiful Pictures that will inspire one to get out and see these wonderful places. It is an effort to preserve these beauties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visit all of these historic architectural treasures., July 19, 2013
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
The story each of these national park lodges captures the dreamers,hustlers and geniuses who helped create our scenic playgrounds. At age 87 The Ahwahnee at Christmas has finally got to be affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that drew me in., August 16, 2012
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
This book is in a coffee shop down the street from where I live. I picked it up to look at as I relaxed over a cup of coffee. I was soon drawn in. Each lodge has its own story . . . the author, Christina Barnes' way of presenting facts & information about how each happened, the landscape, the architect, the architecture & all makes me want to personally visit them all. The only one I've been to is The Ahwahnee of Yosemitie Nationial Park. Not as an overnight guest, but after an outdoors photo class I stopped in to have a cup of coffee in the dining room. That was 15 years ago & the memory of the outside & inside, relaxing over a cup of coffee in the dining room, are still strong in my memory. A grand lodge that somehow fits perfectly inside a park with awsome, powerful natural beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our goal: stay at each of the great lodges, May 3, 2012
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
When we first got this book, we began a quest to stay at each of these lodges. We just finished our stay at El Tovar on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and we've only one left. This book has provided a worthy goal: to experience each of these extraordinary lodges. It's beautifully written, and the historical information is fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Western US Lodges, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Great Lodges of the West (Hardcover)
I love this book! It is beautiful, great photos, lots of intereting information and history. This is a great coffee table book.

Great Lodges of the West
Great Lodges of the West by Christine Barnes (Hardcover - Sept. 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01