4.0 out of 5 stars Good Unit, but Important Error in Instructions...
Published 19 months ago by Peter Meyers

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance
Published 15 months ago by Maeonides

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Unit, but Important Error in Instructions..., May 23, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
On first use, I put in a full cup of popcorn, which is what the printed instructions said (it seemed like a lot) only to have the popper start smoking. I shut it off, took the popcorn out, and noticed that the rim of the popper said not to use more than 1/2 C. I took out 1/2 the popcorn, and it was fine. Basically a full 1 Cup was just too much weight. That's fine, but for those of us who read the manual first, it's a pretty major misprint.

Once we fixed that issue, though, the popper was fast, the popcorn is good, and there were very few unpopped kernels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great popper, but all popcorn isn't created equally!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
I love this popper. It's my 2nd in 2 years and I will continue to buy them for as long as needed. The last one had to be replaced because our moving company was not so graceful in packing... different story for another time. This popper is quick and efficient and never fails to produce awesome popcorn ever time!

Like like some have said in their negative reviews, kernels may go flying all over the place if you're not careful. This situation is actually *very* avoidable. Please pay attention to the -size- of the kernels you purchase. Cheap, generic brands generally yield a cheap, generic kernel that is rather small and very light. These undersized kernels will ride around in the air designed to push the popped corn out of the chute and fly right out because they don't have enough heft to fall back down. Once the kernels pop, the heavier kernels have more surface volume and can then easily ride the air out of the chute.

Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. Grab a generic bag of kernels and a bag of more quality kernels and compare the two. You'll be able to see a difference in the size and uniformity between the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why only four stars?, May 7, 2013
D. E. Camp (Philadelphia, Pa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
I really like this popper. We had one years ago but it eventually burned out after several years of use. Since we wanted a healthy movie watching snack this popper fills the bill. It's quick and fully pops most of the kernels I'm left with one complaint; when adding the kernels to the running machine kernels fly out of the popper. When it's running they fly out of the back, when I turn it off to add the kernels, they fly out of the front.

I've solved the problem as it's the same problem that we had with the one we had a few decades ago. Solution: Tilt the popper back. It's still a little difficult to pour the kernels into the the machine while it's running but it can be done. I put a wedge under the front that lifts it about an inch and a half. I then wait until the popping corn fills the barrel but is not coming out of the spout. I then remove the wedge and allow the popped corn to fill the waiting bowl. I'm surprised that the same problem exists after so many years of manufacturing this product. But hey, it works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, September 30, 2013
Maeonides (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
This popper, while appearing identical to the Presto PopLite Air Popper, is not nearly as good a performer. It ejects the un-popped kernels and the popped kernels with so much force that they bounce out of the collecting bowl and onto the counter and floor, causing me to spend time locating and picking them up. In one instance, the popped corn clogged the ejection port and caused the force of the hot air to blow the butter tray in the air and several feet away. I would not recommend this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy--poorly made and doesn't last, December 7, 2013
Boston Kelly (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
Had this thing for just over a year and probably used it 5-7 times total--The motor just burned out, filling the house with nasty smoke. Not worth the $28 bucks...spend $40 and get the Cuisinart version, which comes with a 3 year warranty, vs. the 30 day warranty for this cheapo version. If I could give it 0 stars, I would. Don't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect. Very Fast. No ON/OFF Switch., April 15, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
This popper works great. It takes about the same time to pop a bowl of FRESH corn with NO CHEMICALS as it takes to nuke a bag of microwave popcorn. I bought it for my son who loves popcorn as a healthy alternative. My ONLY negative is that this machine does NOT have an on/off switch. That was kind of a bummer. Other than that, it works great and is good looking enough to leave out on my kitchen counter (we use it every day). It's on the noisy side - like a hair dryer, but that was expected and it's not really annoying because it only takes about 2 minutes to pop a big bowl. Very happy with the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, otherwise total junk, November 9, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
I purchased this popper on Sept. 12, 2013. On November 9, 2013 I started a batch to popping and after about 30 seconds it burned out completely. Gave up the ghost and started smoking.

I was mildly annoyed with this popper already because it has no on/off switch. The only way to turn it on and off is to push the plug in to the socket, then pull it out when finished. Which of course arcs every time when you do that, and it can't be good for the unit, much less the wiring.

It popped OK until it didn't, although it would consistently throw at least half a dozen kernels out of the shoot before popping began. I'm not sure if that is common to all air poppers though.

I like the bright red with black trim. Makes it look festive and more like a popcorn machine than the more commonly offered white. But what good are looks if it stops popping after two months?

Amazon would have stood behind the product if it proved defective within 30 days, but at this point I've long since thrown out the box, and for a $20 product, I'm not going to hassle with a warranty. Yeah, maybe I got a bad one in the batch. It happens. But a company who doesn't care to spend another $1 to install a power switch probably economized on other components as well. I'll get another brand thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted, July 27, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
I have used this popper maybe once a week for three months, then it started smoking and burned out (just past the 90-day period).

1.0 out of 5 stars product blew fuse, November 24, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
The first time I plugged this in it blew the circuit breaker. And it was in an outlet we use often and nothing else has ever done that. There is no on/off switch - you have to plug it in and out of the wall socket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious fire hazard BEWARE!!!!!!, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red (Kitchen)
I purchased this popcorn maker for my wife and the first two times it worked fine. But from then on it was a serious fire hazard. The screen at the bottom would catch kernels and burn them. It burned them so bad and so quickly that they would start smoking and start to smolder before we could even turn the popper off. If you do not watch this very carefully it could easily start a fire.

Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red