1,141 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought and worked first time
Published on May 19, 2011 by Sincerely Yours

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend
I appear to be in the minority in my opinion but still feel obligated to report my experience with this product.

Published on January 2, 2012 by Phyrephox

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought and worked first time, May 19, 2011
This review is from: GreatShield Ultra Anti-Glare Screen Protector Film for Kindle, 3 Pack (Fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I have been leery of many screen protectors and from the reviews written by my fellow amazon reviewers. The beauty of the product is its simplicity of design and quality. There is a little blue cloth to wipe down your screen, then the screen protector is wedged between plastic sheet 1 and 2: peel and one side will have slight, ever so slight stickiness... Then roll slowly over the screen and use the little brown plastic tab to push the air bubbles out. Yep, there is a slight mm gap, but hell you are going to need that to peel it off eventually! It is part of the design and not a fault in the design! I am totally okay with the tiniest bubbles on a few of the corners as it does not affect the print. Yep, I am super glad that I got this screen protector (from dirt and not from too much pressure applying on it!). The anti glare factor, yes, noticed when led lights fall on it, it is much more matted, not that the kindle itself doesnt do a great job in the antiglare department. Well worth this non too expensive accessory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protector works, but beware of cloth, June 27, 2011
Nika (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
The actual product:
The screen protector arrived in a little package the size of the protectors themselves. They come, as usual, sandwiched between two sheets of plastic film. You peel off the first sheet (labeled "1"), apply the protector to the Kindle, and then peel off the outer sheet (labeled "2").
The screen protector is matte, as described, and looks virtually indistinguishable to the Kindle's bare screen. I'm very happy with the anti-glare properties.

Grievances and Tips:
The included cloth left nearly invisible little fibers all over my screen, which are now stuck under the protector. Don't use it; use any other clean microfiber cloth instead. Also, while applying the sticky side to the Kindle, flatten as you go because even little air bubbles are VERY difficult to get out. I'm not sure if this is a property of these matte type protectors, but watch out for those annoying bubbles because you'll never get rid of them.

Overall, a great product and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend, January 2, 2012
Phyrephox (Los Gatos, Ca USA) - See all my reviews

The point of the shield (for me) was to do two things: reduce glare and protect my Kindle screen from any inadvertent scratching. Note that I ordered this at the same time I ordered my Kindle Touch and had never seen a Kindle in operation prior to receiving mine.

The Kindle arrived within a couple of days but I didn't receive the screens for another 10 days or so. This was pretty much expected since I had 2-day free shipping from Amazon while the GreatShield came from an independent dealer and was shipped around Christmas time. I only bring this up because it game me a week or so of using my Kindle without the shield, allowing me to compare "with" and "without".

My complaints:

1. The shield is slightly smaller than the Kindle Touch screen.
This is not a huge deal but it leaves a gap of about 1/16 inch on one vertical and one horizontal side. This means that if you place the screen snugly into the upper left corner, you'll have a gap along the right and bottom sides. Not knowing it was too small, I lifted and tried to refit one shield several times until it became obvious my problem with trying to fit it correctly was the screen itself. By this time I had touched the sticky side of the screen and ended up tossing it because of a smudge from my fingers (my hands were clean, so I guess it was just natural oil). Maybe I'm too OBC but seeing the gap (and being able to feel it) ruined the aesthetics of the Kindle for me. How hard can it be to get the dimensions right?
2. In the week of using the Kindle without the shield, I was amazed at how glare free the screen is. Unless you have a strong source of light that is reflecting at your eyes, I don't see a need for a product that would reduce glare. I also use a lighted cover and have no issues with glare.
3. I use password protection on my Kindle and while turning pages worked fine with the screen, I would consistently get the wrong numbers when I tried typing my pass code.

Bottom line for me: I removed the screen and feel it was a waste of $10. My Kindle is protected by a lighted cover and has a great non-glare screen. I would rather have spent that $10 on a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Truly anti-glare, just a little small for the screen., May 11, 2011
I was excited that the item truly does leave the screen more or less anti-glare. I have read my Kindle outside in the sun and didn't notice any more glare than say sunlight off the pages of a book.

I wish the protector fit the screen better, it's about an 1/8 - 1/4 of inch too small on both the length and the width. I had to decide which part of my screen I wanted to leave unprotected.

Also, as with any screen protector, I'm glad there were 3 and I think I may need to order another pack. In trying to finagle the protector to lay sort of centered on the screen, I managed to get a piece of dust stuck each time. I do live with cats, and not in a hermetically sealed bubble, so dust is an eventuality, but I think next time I will just have to try moving slowly with the protector to not pick up dust in the air.

This review would have been 5 stars if the protector was cut closer to the actual screen size. I think that would have also helped my application of the protector and I wouldn't have ended up getting dust trapped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Strikes Your OUT, September 21, 2011
Not a bad product, just a tricky one. First, let me say, I'm an artist. I am not clumsy and I know I'm a precise person when it comes to dealing with stuff like this. Even so, my first attempt was an utter failure. The protectors are about 1/16" too short on all four sides so it's very probable that you'll do like me, you'll get it on just slightly crooked and end up with a corner sticking out at bottom. When I tried to remove and reapply, it wouldn't line up properly again AND stick. "But so what, I've got two more," I thought. My second attempt was much better but so bubbly that it really wasn't readable. I applied it as slowly as possible, carefully using the squeegie-thing provided but the bubbles seemed firm. It was as if once the pocket was formed, it was impossible to remove. I tried lifting the protector off again and once again, it didn't stick properly. So, I used my third one, this time starting against a long side (rather than the top/bottom). I was MUCH more successful. I ended up with only two small bubbles that, while annoying, aren't in places that provide too much distraction. All said, for the price, this was rather what I expected. I'm just disappointed that it took 3 tries to get it right! Now that the protector is on, I'm happy with it's coverage except along that exposed 1/16" edge on all four sides. I've got a short-haired pooch and I've discovered that this little indention around the sides is just large enough to accept one or two doggie hairs that are impossible to remove as they have found their way under the adhesive. bleh. I have a feeling that by the end of the month all four edges will look like they are protected with blond eyelashes...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, October 25, 2011
Just what I wanted to protect my Kindle screen. A word of warning: I installed the cover and was appalled at how glossy it was; nothing like the anti-glare surface the description and reviews mentioned. After a few days of frustration I looked again and realized that the screen protector is sandwiched between TWO protective plastic covers, one on each side. I'd removed the cover from the sticky side, but not from the anti-glare side. Once I did that, it was great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, Need Precision for Installation, November 17, 2011
Overall, this cover does what it is supposed to do: it protects your Kindle's screen and reduces the glare - in my case, it helps stop a lot of the smudgy fingerprints as well as the glare / reflection of the overhead lights in my office.

Before you install it on your Kindle, let me point out a couple of things:

1. Clean your Kindle's screen with the soft cloth that comes with the screen protector. DO NOT use water to assist you, but use a gentle wiping motion with the cloth. Why? You don't want to put the cover over a bunch of fingerprints and have your fingerprints memorialized on your Kindle!

2. Make sure you have a straight-edge like a credit card to help smooth out the bubbles.

3. Be patient, line it up, and go slow! This cover doesn't have much wiggle-room to be slightly off - if you go just a fraction at an angle to one side, you will start covering the Kindle case vs. the Kindle cover. If that happens, slowly back it up and start again. Maybe that's why they included three to the package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, April 5, 2011
This product is very good. It doesn't like most of the screen protectors sold on Amazon which are clear. It's matte, thus no glare at all even in bright sunshine. Hope the seller can sell the screen protector by piece in stead of a pack of 3.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Fit, as advertised, Kindle's new Paperwhite., October 25, 2012
I recently purchased this product for use on my new Kindle Paperwhite. The reason I chose this product was for its advertised ability to fit the new Paperwhite perfectly and also because it comes in a pack of three (I needed another one for my wife's new Kindle too). Unfortunately after following the easy instruction and trying to apply the "Greatsheild Ultra" I noticed two things. not only is the width of the product slightly too wide but it's length is also rather short. Leaving a good millimeter unprotected at the bottom. Usually a slight sizing error would be something I could deal with and apply the protector film as usual but this is sturdy stuff that does not bend well. Which usually would make it easy to take off and reapply but in this case it works against the product. Which leads me into the second issue I noticed. Due to it's rigidity, and the depth of the paperwhite's screen, unless you cut the protective film yourself there is no way you can use this product with the new Kindle Paperwhite at all.

So no, I would not recommend this product to others because it not only does't work as advertised, it just doesn't work.... Well, on the new Paperwite anyway. But seeing as the screen dimensions are supposedly the same as previous models I don't understand how this could have been engineered incorrectly.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:53:18 AM PDT
Dear matthew stelzer,

We are very sorry about your experience. We have designed our screen shields to be a near perfect fit to closely align with the edges of the Kindle Fire screen so as to protect and cover nearly the entire screen. Please contact our customer service department for additional help with installation or in regards to a replacement to ensure you have a positive experience.

Please contact us at Support@GreatShield.com

GreatShield Support Team

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary thing, January 5, 2013
Just so everyone knows, when you but the KINDLE, it arrives with a screen protector already on it.
Just buy these if you think you are going to be rough enough on it to need replacement. So far, the one on it, is holding up fine.

ARRAY(0x9c52bdb0)