Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greater Than One
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 11, 2012
Dwele, as an artist, is exceptional. And in the music business, you should be exceptional. That should be the rule. Dwele and this album not only add standards to that rule, but redefine it. Not only should you be exceptional, but you should be unique, subtle, soulful, artistic, fun, sexy, charming, and oh, make me want to love, dance, reflect, sway, and take a ride in my car with no destination in mind ... just a chance to hear your music in my speakers. Yes, that's what this album does for me. And probably many of you as well. I've always been a fan of Dwele since his first album made a 3 month international business trip far away from home ... feel a little more like home. And I've bought each album thereafter and they've all been remarkable. But this one -- shows more than I thought was possible. It displays Dwele's growth as an artist and probably personally as well. Each song is different, and can stand strong on its own, but combines well to create a soulful synergy. This album sounds ... complete. Whole. Honest. Nostalgic, even. It takes me back to when I used to go to brick-and-mortar record stores and browse the aisles for hours looking for new music. And then I'd find that one new song, new album, new artist. And I'd listen and I'd buy it. But there were terms. It had to move me, appeal to my love of musicianship, beautiful lyrics, strong rhythms and make me want to dance in the aisles. It had to make me eager to get home and play it on my stereo with my love, or introduce it to my friends at a house party or listen to it on my iPod 33,000 feet in the air on my way to my next journey.

Dwele's "Greatest Than One" is THAT album. It does all of that for me and more. And I am once again, grateful. Thank you, Dwele. Your musical integrity is appreciated. And celebrated. Listening to this album feels me with joy.

That's my rule for buying music these days. No Exceptions.
on August 28, 2012
Detroit native Andwele Gardner has done a lot within the last ten years of his career. After his self-released album made the rounds, it landed in the hands of J Dilla- who invited him to sing on the cover of Donald Byrd's "Think Twice" from his 2001 album "Welcome To Detroit". From there, he made his first appearance on the radio on Slum Village's "Tainted". He started work on his major label debut and in 2003, "Subject" landed in stores. Anchored by the song about rekindling lost love "Find A Way", the song united him with DJ Quik's right hand man George "G-One" Archie. 2005 saw the release of his sophomore effort "Some Kinda...", where he got help from producer Mike City (Sunshine Anderson, Carl Thomas) on the first single "I Think I Love U". The next couple of years saw Dwele make a couple of notable appearances: Specifically on J Dilla's posthumous LP "The Shining" and the biggest guest spot of his career- singing the hook on Kanye West's "Flashing Lights" from his multi-platinum album "Graduation". For as much success Dwele had on the radio, his albums never quite got the push they needed at Virgin Records. So in 2008, he moved to Koch Records for the Dilla tribute "Sketches Of A Man". Two years later, he followed it up with the politically themed concept album "W.ants W.orld W.omen" and appeared on "Power"- the first single from Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy".

In 2012, Dwele released his fifth recording entitled "Greater Than One". On this album, it's pretty much business as usual for Dwele as he does what he does best. Unlike most of his albums, "Greater Than One" is rather short- even by Dwele's standards. He starts the album with the brief title track, the minute long "Greater Than One Less Than Three". On "Going Leaving", he tells the true story of a woman he lost who wanted to start a family despite him not being ready. He sings of dancing seductive on "Takes 22 Tango" and reunites with Raheem DeVaughn on the duet "What You Gotta Do". He collaborates with producer Mike City yet again on the first single "What Profit" and "Special" as well as G-One on "Love Triangle". On the song "Must Be" he is joined by his artists J. Tait and L'Renee with rapper/producer Black Milk on the only R&B song he appears on to date. He also reunites with fellow Detroit singer Monica Blaire on the song about sophisitcation "Swank". On "PATrick RONald", Dwele sings and raps about his refusal to share his expensive bottle of Patron. He closes the album with the mellow ballad "Frankly My Dear (I'm Bennett I Ain't Innnit)" in which he unknowingly gets involved with a married woman. Overall, Dwele's "Greater Than One" is another outstanding effort from the singer, songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalist. While he hasn't done anything ground breaking, he still made a great album that has become his trademark of melodic sounds and mellow vocals.
on October 6, 2012
Wow! I've liked Dwele for a while but sometimes the additional tracks on his albums would be to abstract too follow and enjoy. This album erases all of that. From the first track to the last one, I enjoyed each one. There was much thought given to the music to fit each song. It was a beautiful marriage of literary and musical artistry. Music to dance to, drive to, chill to, and more. Looking forward to his next, but in the meantime I'm turning up "Special".
on August 28, 2012
You know what you're going to get when you listen to a Dwele album; breezy soul reminiscent of Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and co, tight harmonies and intricate real instrumentation. Opening track proper "Going Leaving" (after the "Greater Than One Less Than three" intro with lovely layered harmonies) perfectly epitomizes this, a groovy mid-tempo affair with cascading sweet harmonies. "Takes22Tango" is slinky Soul with a touch of Tango, while Raheem DeVaughn guests on the groovy ballad "What You Gotta Do" with snaky-sounding bass. The up-tempo groove "What Profit" reminds me of Musiq Soulchild.

Most of the song segue into the next. The ballad "Obey" builds from synth strings, adding lilting percussion and jazzy piano along the way, different and definitely a highlight. "This Love" is a synth-driven upbeat groovy number, and continuing the party groove is the gently stomping minimal "Must Be" featuring Black Milk, L'Renee and J. Tait.

The jazzy ballad "Swank" features a lengthy musical intro, a nice horn section, and Monica Blair who also appears on the upbeat "Patrick Ronald" where Dwele blames his drink as he tells says "That girl, she lookin' good/ she came up on me talmbout `whassup' I said `my wood,/ sorry, that's Patrick talkin.'". Closing is the spare piano with light guitar and percussion touches intermittedly. ballad "Frankly My Dear (I'm Bennett I Ain't Innit)" which finds him flitting from falsetto to lower register. Looking for some sensual silky soul? Look no further.
on August 28, 2012
I love the heck out of this album!!! This album is straight fire from start to finish. So jazzy yet funky with a big splash of hip hop. The perfect combo! This album fits the grown and sexy so well..another classic from the one and only Dwele.
on November 8, 2012
I don't understand why mainstream continues to sleep on this dude! His quality of work would muffle that of most "radio" artists today. Real music lives thru Dwele. Another classic flawless album from the Detroit native!
on October 4, 2012
This has to be Dwele's best...No Wait...finest release. Unbelievably grooves from beginning to end. If you're a fan of Dwele, then you know what I'm saying. If you're not, then this release will make you a fan. This is talent for real...the D's finest. Thank you Dwele for great music.

KGtheDub
on October 23, 2012
To whom it may concern,

I've loved Dwele ever since his first CD, "Shye." I have everything he's ever done and I'm 53 years old. I've never missed one of his concerts when he's come to both YOSHI'S, Oakland or San Francisco.

I'm a musician too, so I know an "EXCELLENT" musician when I hear one! I consider him Neo Soul/R&B/Rap! As far as the quality of the CD....it was in good condition. I'm satisfied with the quality of ALL the CD's I've purchased from you so far. I BUY CD's for the support of my fellow artists, but yall need to come down a little bit more on your prices, as people are downloading music all the time!!! I don't, but people do ALL the time! Food for thought! :-)

on December 9, 2013
A very fine work with many songs I enjoyed. You can tell he puts a lot of himself in his work. The lyrics are thoughtful and even the fun songs have meaning, while keeping the production values high, If you like Dwele, you can't miss with this. Wow. Let me stop talking about and put it on now.
on January 29, 2013
I listened to this for several months before I got into it, but when I did, it became a real "go-too" when I was in the Jazzy/Hip-Hop mood. This was suggested on a free music service, and I'm so glad it was. I would compare Dwele to Musiq Soulchild and Raheem DeVaughn. If you love those two, then you can't go wrong here! :)