Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on July 12, 2012
My nephew, a rising third-grader who is not a great reader, actually read the book and loved it. He is all about baseball, softball,etc. The stories are interesting, about names he has heard of in baseball history so he wanted to know more. Great summer reading.
on February 19, 2016
I grew up with a father who taught me to love baseball, and at 67 remember many of these players. This book brings back so many memories to share with my own grandchildren. I can sit and read this book for hours and never be bored by the stories of players who were so much a part of my life in Los Angeles. I recommend this book to anyone who loves the game.
on July 23, 2016
A FEAST, A VERITABLE FEAST! I received this book on the 23rd of July, and I've been having a ball with it. Some of the stories are familiar to me because I've seen them elsewhere, but others are new. One of my favorites is the one about Yogi Berra and his connection, or lack of it, with yoga---however, I must mention two glaring omissions. The first is when the Yankees hired Bill Dickey to teach Berra how to catch; he said "Bill Dickey is learning me all his experience." Strictly speaking, this is not really a Yogi-ism; this usage was very common in Shakespeare's day, and if you read any of the plays you'll find this and other such vagaries of the English language. Second, nothing was mentioned about the fact that Mr. Berra was renowned as one of the best handlers of pitching staffs in either league. He knew his moundsmen as no one else could; he knew when a pitcher just needed a steadying hand and which one needed a good goosing to get him going. In any event, a most entertaining and enlightening read.
on June 23, 2013
My baseball nerd of a grandson is enjoying this book as he adores all of any baseball material to learn more about the men who make baseball history. Their experiences fill this teenager's learning enjoyment. I wouldn't be surprised that someday he might be a baseball reporter himself.
on September 16, 2014
I recently purchased from Amazon, and now have read, three baseball anthologies: (1) Baseball, a hardbound Library of America Anthology, edited by Nicholas Dawidoff; 2) Baseball's Best Short Stories, a quality paperback edited by Paul Staudohar, and (3) The Greatest Baseball Stories Ever Told, a quality paperback edited by Jeff Silverman. One need not be an informed fan of baseball, past or present, to treasure these stories. Baseball is the framework here; within are Americans intently observing, playing, and cherishing, America`s Game.
¶ I reserve five stars for my tiptop favorites; the hardbound Library of America Anthology cited above I do especially applaud.
on June 4, 2016
I love nostalgia and as a diehard baseball fan I love to read stories that bring out the best in baseball history. Reading about legendary baseball heroes along with a touch of humor that makes me laugh besides learning about the serious side of baseball, I'm sure every sports reader will enjoy these stories. I strongly recommend this book, I give it five stars and I'm Marvin P. Ferguson, author of Boys On The Gold Coast.
on July 26, 2014
My bookshelves are full of books I've reread and will continue to read. This book instantly joins that select group of books. I know I will reread these stories many, many times. Thanks to this book, I will also track down other books from the authors featured here. There are a handful of typos scattered throughout, but nothing too distracting. On the plus side for editor Jeff Silverman, his brief introductions to each piece are informative. Silverman's account of his own encounter with Jackie Robinson, in his intro to Red Barber's 'On Jackie Robinson' is a beautiful little story in its own right.
on November 22, 2013
Lots of good informative stories in this book. My 12 year old grandson loved it and said he wished there were more stories.
on April 24, 2012
Finds great variety of stories, funny, inspirational and has a great insight into baseball history. Reminds us it is a kid's game and to be kept in perceptive. FUNNY several days later.
on February 28, 2013
Well documented, enthralling stories from our national pastime. From the beginning story about "Who's on First" to the end, you'll not be able to put it down.