4.0 out of 5 stars A fine Foo retrospective, but is missing a few key tracks
Published on November 3, 2009 by Greg

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just skin and bones
While diehard fans often grumble about compilations, they're usually not the target demographic anyway. It's for casual fans, or those who want a nice introductory overview of a band's history (as such, I never like it when the songs are out of chronological order, as it is here). In that regard, it delivers, and if it brings in a whole new set of fans, all the better. So...
Published on November 11, 2009 by km

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine Foo retrospective, but is missing a few key tracks, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you ask me, the Foo Fighters are long overdue for a hits album, in fact they should've put one out at least 3 years ago. They've been one of the most significant and consistant rock artists over the last 14 years. If you're a casual Foo Fighters fan, the odds are that this CD has most if not all the songs you're looking for. But to those who have payed closer attention to the band over the years will notice that some significant songs are missing, which is pretty much the case with any "greatest hits" album. In the liner notes, frontman Dave Grohl writes, "These 16 songs are what we're calling our 'Greatest Hits,' not to be confused with 'Our Best Songs' or 'Our Favorite Songs,' it is a collection of the songs that have defined our band's identity to most people over the years." I think that's a pretty acurate statement, but even still, I would've fought for a few more songs to make this compilation. For example, where is "I'll Stick Around"? It was one of the band's first major hits, and it's even included on the DVD for the deluxe version of this package. "Stacked Actors" and "Next Year" also could've been included, they weren't huge hits but they were released as singles and the former has become a staple at their live shows. Also, "D.O.A." and "Let It Die" are nowhere to be found, and these songs got tons of radio play. There's also a long list of less popular singles, but I didn't really expect them to make it on here. There's only so much room on a CD, but I think we could've cut out "Skin and Bones" since it wasn't really a hit, probably just a favorite of Grohl's. The acoustic version of "Everlong" wasn't entirely necessary, although it is cool to have since I'm a collector and I'm sure a lot of the female fans will dig it. Then there's 2 new songs; "Wheels" is a pretty strong track and it makes a great close to this chapter in the band's career, but "Word Forward" is kind of a throwaway song and was probably just left over from a previous album session.

But I'm not here to complain, we still get 12 other classic songs from one of this decade's best rock bands! "Everlong", "My Hero", "Monkey Wrench", "Learn To Fly", "All My Life", "Times Like These", "Best of You", "The Pretender", "Long Road To Ruin", "Breakout"...It was also nice to see the first album represented with "This Is A Call" and "Big Me" since it seems to be overlooked in recent years. All the songs seem to have been remastered, they sound as loud and rich as ever!

If you're a real Foo fan, I highly recommend the deluxe edition that comes with the DVD. For just a few dollars more you can have the band's music video collection. Who could forget hilarious videos like "Big Me" and "Learn To Fly" or the cool visuals in "Times Like These" and "Everlong"? I'm pretty sure every one of their music videos is here with the exception of "Breakout" and "The One." These were probably left off because they aren't owned by the label due to their use of images from the films Orange County and Me, Myself & Irene. But to make up for it they give you 4 live performances! This package will make an excellent Christmas gift this season for any longtime Foo Fighters fans or just about anyone who digs mainstream rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of or Greatest Hits - the Foo Fighters at their very best, November 3, 2009
Kenny A (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
Many think a Greatest Hits release is just the record company cashing in on music that fans already own or that the Greatest Hits omits what they consider to be the best tracks and for some the Foo Fighters Greatest Hits may be looked on in this way. You will never please everyone!

For me, if most of the tracks are ones I would include in a playlist taken from the band's many albums, then the Greatest Hits is probably just that and with this release that is certainly the case.

The good thing about the Foo Fighters music is that whether released as a single or not their "Hits" ar really the best of their album tracks, some happen to have achieved commercial succcess, other great songs getting no air play at all but all are great examples of the band's music.

From hit tracks like the 'Pretender from Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace through to This is a Call and Big Me from their debut release, Foo Fightes, this is the band at their best, a great representation of the Foo Fighter's first 15 years and a great cd for those that want a first taste of the band, are casual fans or already have the music but want a listen to the best without changing from CD to CD.

To top it off, and selling in Australia at the same price as a normal new release CD, comes a second DVD disc containing all the Greatest Hits Videos so you can listen while watching your heros and enjoying the warped humour that has become a trademark of the bands releases over the years.

Great value and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 50 and made a HUGE discovery!, December 24, 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Thanks to Amazon's snippets of albums, I listened to this album and decided I would buy it. The first time I heard it I was completely impressed. I thought to myself, "how could I have missed this one?" This is music that I never knew existed because I just thought the name "Foo Fighters" sounded like it was out of my generation. Boy, what a mistake! Every song on this I think is some of the best music of any generation. I started listening to their stuff in March and now it's December and my 5th album just came in. "Stacked Actors" and "M.I.A" are excellent, but unfortunately didn't make it on to this one. Dave's music reminds me a little of the classic stuff with a heavier mixture of fresh and new. The man is a musical genius, no doubt. Playing drums seems to have been an important experience because I could swear that he's taken the drum and molded it into a guitar, a masterful one, at that. I recently told my son in law about my discovery and the first thing I said was, "Dave Grohl is a guitar God!" "I have re rated all I ever knew about musicians and I put "The Beatles at #1 (I don't see how anyone could ever touch them), Led Zeppelin at #2 and Dave Grohl at #3". "He's that good"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skin and Bones, November 6, 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Even though many people say Skin and Bones should not be on this album, I think it serves its purpose. I've seen the Foo's 4 times now and the last time I saw them they absolutely ROCKED that song. It was probably one of the best performances they did that night. Hands down, great song. Obviously there were going to be songs that were missed because they have way too many great songs for one cd unless they made it a double.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the dvd, December 13, 2009
rhenom (Poulsbo, WA) - See all my reviews
If you are new to the Foo Fighters this is a great way to get familiar with them. For people like me who already have all of these songs the dvd makes this a good deal for the price. The CD is stocked with your standard hits and singles, with the additions of 2 new songs and an acoustic version of Everlong.

I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with the new songs Wheels and Word Forward. To me they sounded almost like country-rock, which is not a sound I look for from the Foo Fighters. (I detest country music in general) The acoustic version of Everlong is just Dave by himself with his guitar, judging by his voice it sounds like it was recorded a while ago. Not my favorite version of Everlong but it's ok.

The package comes with several pages of random pictures of the band, it's all in black and white and is mildly interesting.

The dvd contains lots of music videos from band presented in chronological order, which is interesting to see the band as they mature sort of. I wish it was organized video by video instead, it plays them all together, although you can select the individual videos like bookmarks from the menu. It was the first time I'd seen any of the videos (I'm not an MTV person...) the highlights for me...

The Everlong video is...odd, not exactly what one would imagine from listening to the song.
The Low video is Dave and Jack Black in a motel room, and is funny in a disturbing kind of way.

I only gave this package 4 stars instead of 5 because they should have filled the CD to capacity instead of leaving blanks space (as others have noted there are plenty of good songs that could have fit in. And more importantly I wish the dvd had more than just videos on it. If it had behind the scenes stuff and band interviews (like the red hot chili peppers dvd) it would have been better.

Overall, you really can't go wrong with the Amazon price though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock 'n Roll Ain't for Whiners, November 9, 2009
Mikie (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (MP3 Music)
Greatest hits? Yeah, I'd have to say this is an excellent cherry-pickin' of FF songs. It is, in my opinion, a damn fine selection of Rock 'n Roll.

So a few reviewers choose to whine about what they always whine about--what they DIDN'T like: "You didn't include this, and you didn't include that..." There's no Greatest Hits collection on the planet--ever--that doesn't leave out a few fan favorites. Instead of whining about what you don't like, suck it up and acknowledge all the good (and great): Dave and the Foos gave us a stellar collection of Rock PLUS a comprehensive DVD of their music videos for a price other artists would charge for a Greatest Hits CD alone. What's not to be happy about?

Nice job, Foos, NICE! Thanks for the great music and the video collection. Too bad the DVD didn't include your VH1 Rock Honors performance of The Who's "Young Man Blues." Outstanding performance! Wait, I'm whinin'... No, I'm not, because I rated this Five Stars! Maybe next video collection, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, December 6, 2009
I bought this for my boyfriend because I already have almost every Foo Fighter song there is. It is a really great introduction and I especially love the DVD with all the videos because they are hilarious!! You know what you're getting with this CD, and you already know it's great. I would recommend this for new fans of the Foos, as an introduction, or just something for a casual fan to listen to. Not one bad song on this CD/DVD. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether Best of or Greatest Hits, this is the Foo Fighters at their very best, November 4, 2009
Kenny A (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

Great value and highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits....the great ones., February 28, 2011
H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As a casual fan this collection was made for me. I did have the first two albums, but you know, you can't stick with every band album after album. Like any hits disc I wish this was in chronological order. Not sure why bands feel the need to shuffle their songs up. My music players have a shuffle button. As far as what's included here it's pretty much what should be. I'd add "I'll Stick Around", but otherwise not bad. Like the cover art too. This is also available with a DVD of videos if you want. I'll just hit youtube.

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff. for a price., February 25, 2011
bichonandon (WICHITA, KS, US) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this after not being able to listen to a foo fighters song on You Tube without annoying commercials invading my peaceful existence, and the last straw was when I finally accepted that itunes would likely never lower the $1.29 price tag for the good tracks. You have won, foo fighters. I have paid for an album, and I don't have to deal with a bunch of crappy songs. It's a good deal.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Foo Fighters (Audio CD - 2009)