Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 13, 1999
An upbeat, amusing collection of songs you'll enjoy. Call it fluff, but it's fluff at its best! These energetic songs will soon have you dancing, and the pleasant lyrics are a reminder of a more innocent time.
on November 16, 2000
I love this collection, it sounds better than before, it has all the great songs. Reminds me of when I was in Nursing School, with Martha and Cindy just us girls, talking about who was cuter. I always liked Frankie. The tape is great, it has many of the great hits of their hayday. I remember driving in my `65 mustang just thrashing to, Don't go away and definitely Sherry!! Its a great greatest hits collection for anyone else who is lost in the `60s!
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon December 28, 2005
Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 is a collection of the Four Seasons' hits from the first stage of their career. The songs have a Jersey street corner feel and the group's harmonies are stellar. Songs like the number one hits "Sherry", "Walk Like A Man" & "Big Girls Don't Cry" are classics as are other gems like "Bye, Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye)", "Big Man In Town" and great Bob Dylan cover "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" recorded under the name The Wonder Who with Frankie Valli singing in a register that is just beneath a dog whistle.
on October 24, 2009
Of the few things questionable about the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons 1991 D.V.D.s GREATEST HITS VOLUME ONE and GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO, most dubious is the decision not to package them as a single double disc collection, despite this being a compilation by music appreciation-centered Rhino Records. Who would want to buy one but not the other?

Perhaps more knowledgeable fans will correct me, but GREATEST HITS VOLUME ONE and GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO include every hit song in the career of not only the Four Seasons but also Frankie Valli's solo recordings. Stretching it, you could ask why "Silence is Golden," the flip side of the "Rag Doll" 45 that would be a smash cover version by the Tremeloes, did not make it to this collection. Also, why does the GREATEST HITS mix of "Girl, Come Running" lack the "Come home, baby" refrain in its opening? I had never heard this instrumental opening version. And if you know both mixes of "Dawn," the version here starts with Valli's vocal intro, not the drums-only opening of the other mix.

The package's credits do not mention Patti Austin is the female singer who contributes lead vocals to Frankie Valli's solo hit "Swearin' to God."

If you have a mono switch on your stereo, you may want to use it when playing the 1960s songs on these C.D.s, which are the fake stereo common with reissues of recordings made before the 1970s.

An informative essay by rock and roll journalist Gene Sculatti spreads across GREATEST HITS VOLUME ONE and GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO. As Rhino cared enough to have Sculatti treat us to this educational overview of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons' career, you know you're buying this collection from a company that likes good music as much as you do. Funny enough, Sculatti even alludes to "Silence is Golden" even though the song didn't make the cut!

When you read Gene Sculatti's GREATEST HITS VOLUME ONE and GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO remarks, please note this is a 1991 collection as he says, "[the song `Grease'] effectively capped the recording career of The 4 Seasons and Frankie Valli. Last, though, is a word we ought to be wary of using in connection with The 4 Seasons."

Gene Sculatti was right, of course. JERSEY BOYS, the Broadway show about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, would open in 2005. As I write this in October 2009, JERSEY BOYS continues on Broadway.

Oh, and don't forget Frankie Valli's role as mobster Rusty Millio in seven episodes of television's THE SOPRANOS between 2004 and 2006.
on November 2, 2004
I lived in three distinctly different areas of the country during the first four years of the Four Seasons' popularity. Frankie Valli, certainly the linchpin of the group, did not get separate billing then as there were only 4 total of them. The songs evoke different memories as there was a lot of change in the Sixties, as we quickly went from "Sherry" and "Big Girls Don't Cry" in 1962 (The American Graffiti year as in last of the innocence) to years of civil unrest, war, etc. Wherever you were in those years, the Four Seasons always delivered quality material. I can't recommend this CD enough. My favorite tune is still the romantic if schmaltzy "Candy Girl" from 1963.
on April 29, 2010
Took my wife to see Jersey Boys twice while they were in Charlotte, and though she is younger than I, she instantly became a major fan of FV4S and understands what I have said for years, how music used to be magic to hear and plain FUN to play.... I purchased the volume 1 & 2 of this set.

I also had the earlier 2 tape cassette FV4S set (volume 1 & 2) years ago as well as double albumn set released in 70's of these songs (both those had Silence is Golden and a couple other songs not in this cd set), but hearing them on these cd's today is even so much better just like being in a live concert.

My younegst son cannot believe the "vibe" of the songs and enjoys listening to these regularly too saying "Dad, why doesn't music today sound like this music?".... That sums it up for everyone.
on December 1, 2013
This cd has only two or three "filler" or not very well known songs, which arent that good. BUT the rest of it is delivers this sound with a punch. I only own one cd by the group and im glad its this one. worth every penny.
on September 1, 2009
I love oldies. I was able to listen to portions of the CD before I ordered. This allowed me to know what I was getting. I was very impressed with the ordering process and prices. It was very easy to order and the shipping time was extremely quick. The product arrived in top quality.
on April 26, 2015
Love Frankie Valli but this is just not a good quality CD. Sound level goes from low to high constantly and has background hiss. I have vinyl that sounds better. "Walk Like a Man" has a skip in the middle of the recording.
on April 14, 2008
This is a great CD! Loved it so much I had to buy Vol 2. You can listen to
all the songs before you purchase and they are fantastic. I'd highly
recommend this to anyone who loves these songs.