5.0 out of 5 stars "All You Need to Know" About Early Kenny...
The title of this album seems pretty obvious: a collection of Kenny Chesney's greatest hits. Interestingly, most of his

biggest hits came after this album. So what gives? Well, Chesney was a fixture in the country world for the better part of the 90s, an artist who made a presence at radio but not so much outside of that world. That's not to say this album...
Published on July 10, 2006 by tomdewcon

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Songs
Kenny Chesney and the entire beach cowboy attitude is a bit funny and has so many aspects of Jimmy Buffet, but I feel right at home listening to both Chesney and Buffet.

Love the beach, ocean, girls in bikinis, a Corona with lime, sitting under the shade in a hammock, getting some sun on a boat deck, sport fishing, or strumming a guitar while looking at the...
Published on May 23, 2009 by D. Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars "All You Need to Know" About Early Kenny..., July 10, 2006

doesn't represent great work, because it does: even before Kenny began his ascent, he still picked good material. This

disc contains seventeen songs, a few more than the standard hits package in country. And like most modern hits collections, it contains new material, here in the form of four songs which are all pretty darn good. The first two new songs, "I Lost It" and "Don't Happen Twice", open the album. They were also the album's big hits, with the latter hitting #1. Both songs exemplify Chesney's style of telling stories in song, whether about love-against-the-odds or young love (a common theme of his). This is followed by "The Tin Man", which is actually a re-recording of a song Chesney recorded on his first (and second) album. There's an underated quality about this song, which is essential Kenny. It alludes to "The Wizard of Oz", and how Chesney wishes he were the Tin Man, since "I wouldn't have a heart, and I wouldn't miss you". Great stuff. The older songs occur after this in mostly-chronological order. "Fall in Love" (a remix?), and "All I Need to Know", are memorable hits from his first BNA album "All I Need to Know". They are followed by "For the First Time", another new track that remembers young love. Next up is "Me and You", a sweet song that was Kenny's first #1. A surprise pops up amongst all of these tracks: a live verson of "Back Where I Come From", which wasn't a single but pays tribute to Kenny's roots. It's fun to hear the crowd scream, and the quality of the recording is great (at the beginning of the song he says "Okay Dallas...", but the album says it says recorded in Tennessee; maybe it's some bizarre hybrid). The next few songs continued his run of hits: "When I Close My Eyes" and "She's Got It All" helped Kenny hone his

craft, while "That's Why I'm Here", a song about alcoholsim, is probably the heaviest song Kenny has released as a single. Kenny's 1999 release, "Everywhere We Go", saw his career kick into high gear; subsequently, it is represented here with no less than 5 tracks. The first single,"How Forever Feels", became Kenny's biggest hit upon it release, and is a radio staple today. The next single, "You Had Me From Hello", is a beautiful love song that become another #1 for Chesney. The song also took on unintentional hilarity when its inspiration briefly became his wife. "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" is a fun, sexy novelty that quickly became a fan favorite. The last two selections are pretty amazing in their own right. "Whar I Need To Do" is a classic song of lost love and inaction, and "Baptism" (a duet with the great Randy Travis) adds some religious flavor to Kenny's catalog. The album closes with the last new track "Because of Your Love", which is pretty great too-shame it wasn't a single.

So there you have it: a seventeen-song guide to Kenny before he was one of the most bankable concert draws around. Of course, his career REALLY hit the stratosphere his with first album after this one, "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems". But that's a story for another day. Looking at the back cover of this album, we see Kenny on the beach, looking out to the future; these photos have become an album staple, and with the success of this album, it's easy to see why. The future looks bright for Kenny; can Greatest Hits, Volume 2 be far behind?

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent First Chapter of Chesney's Music Career, January 8, 2003
In 1993, Kenny Chesney put out his first album My Wildest Dreams (on Capricorn Records) which sold poorly and generated no radio hits. Each subsequent Chesney release, however, has done better than its predecessor, culminating in 1999's platinum-selling Everywhere We Go. The momentum continued with this, his first hits collection.
For starters, the ten previous hits are truly great. The wedding anthem "Me and You" and the alcoholic saga "That's Why I'm Here" are incredibly moving, whereas the foot stompin' "How Forever Feels," "She's Got It All," and "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" generate loads of excitement. Those latter uptempo tunes are where Chesney really shines, with his twangy vocals at their most distinctive and full of personality.
None of the seven new recordings on Greatest Hits (two of which are remakes) are remotely as rowdy. The Randy Travis duet "Baptism" aims for inspiration, but gets mired in a lumbering melody, while the mid-tempo tales "Don't Happen Twice" and "For The First Time" are thematically and musically repetitive. A live version of "Back Where I Come From" offers a stronger vocal than the original, however, and "I Lost It" is one of his best ballads to date.
Ultimately, the success of "Don't Happen Twice" and "I Lost It" at country radio helped make this set a mega best-seller. Still, Chesney needed to pick up the pace with some high-octane new material next time around. He did just that with the strong followup album No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem and its toetapping leadoff hit "Young."

5.0 out of 5 stars Can it get any better than this?, October 3, 2000
This CD is awesome! I am a huge KC fan and he just keeps getting better with every release. The new songs have wonderful lyrics and are the best kind of country, songs about love. The live version of "Back where I come from" is the best live recording I've found by any artist. Also, "Fall in Love" is the new version he's been singing at his shows. The new song, "When I close my eyes" is a beautiful love song that I can see being played at weddings very shortly. I recommend this CD for any country music fan and of course, for any Kenny Chesney fan. Even though it is a Greatest Hits CD, he spreads the new material throughout, balancing old favorites with future ones. Also, for everyone who thinks that not only his tractor is sexy, the picture behind the CD is gorgeous as he is soaking wet in the pool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now THIS is a true "Greatest Hits" package!, January 13, 2001
Keith Gearlds (Louisville, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
Kenny Chesney has done something not many artists do these days, put together a "Greatest Hits" package. Nowadays, artists tend to pick out their favorites of their songs, leaving off some of their true hits, and put them on what is incorrectly named a "Greatest Hits" album. Kenny Chesney does just the opposite. He has loaded this album with all, and I do mean ALL of his greatest hits. Kenny even included some songs that, although great songs, did not even reach the level of greatness. For instance, "The Tin Man" was one of his first singles and failed miserably. Yet, he included it. "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" did not even make Billboard's Top 10; however, it's no doubt a fan-pleaser, so it was included. Along with some excellent new material including his top 5 hit "I Lost It" and what I believe will be his next #1 song, "Don't Happen Twice," Kenny Chesney has also included his 6 week #1 song, "How Forever Feels," and some of his beautiful ballads like "You Had Me From Hello" and "Me and You". This CD no doubt ranks as one of the best of 2000. I have a feeling he's made a pretty good mark and may be offering us "Greatest Hits Volume 2" in the near future. We can only hope it's as great as his first one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A country singer who sneaked up on me, June 28, 2002
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'll admit that I didn't much notice Kenny Chesney at first. I was listening to an Oklahoma City country station and noticed the name many times, but it wasn't until I looked over this Greatest Hits package that I realized he was responsible for many of my favorites.
For instance, "That's Why I'm Here". This is one that has to be considered one of the most meaningful country songs ever. I was a bit scornful the first few times I heard "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", and even made fun of it in conversations with friends. However, I'll admit that it grew on me in time.
I get the feeling that my experience of feeling that he kinda sneaked up on me is common. A number of country fans have suddenly realized that hey, he's here and he's good. I've heard the comment, "I didn't realize Kenny Chesney sang that" a lot more than once.
This is a good and satisfying set. It's not the most pretentious country CD around. It's a kinda quiet one that sits around and suddenly you notice it and decide you want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Generous Offering, May 4, 2002
Kenny Chesney's GREATEST HITS is a generous offering for the fans. 12 hits, and 5 new songs (including one remake of a past hit). While it may seem absurd to have a GH after only 4 albums, there is enough material to constitute a GH album. You get all the good songs, on one CD. "The Tin Man", "Fall In Love", "All I Need To Know", from his 1995 album ALL I NEED TO KNOW, "Me And You", "Back Where I Come From", and "When I Close My Eyes" from his 1996 album ME AND YOU, "She's Got It All" and "That's Why I'm Here" from his 1997 album I WILL STAND, and "How Forever Feels", "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", "You Had Me From Hello", "What I Need To Do" and the duet with Randy Travis "Baptism", from his 1999 album EVERYWHERE WE GO. The only hits missing are "A Chance", and a few others, but its not too much of a difference to make you miss them, the new songs more than make up for the missing ones. The new songs include the ballad "I Lost It", the summer time anthem "Don't Happen Twice", as well as "For The First Time" and "Because of Your Love", as well as a reworked version of "The Tin Man". Overall this is an excellent collection for the hardcore KC fan, or a new fan just trying to get into his work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing Some Hits, October 8, 2000
Steve Beck (Melbourne, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Kenny Chesney is a country artist that worked hard for his success, so to have an album like this must be huge. Great Selection of songs, but who decided to put Baptisim(horrible choice) on this album and leave off Grandpa Told Me So.. The new songs are really good , but the Tin Man is not a new song, this will make the third time it is on a KC album...Overall a good selection of Kenny's Hits to tie you over till his next new album. Leaving one great song off is the reason i gave it four stars instead of five...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 18, 2006
I love the old Kenny Chesney, but no so much the new stuff. I think he's gone downhill since No Shoes, No Shirt. For an old fan or a new fan, this is a must have CD. It has all of the songs that really highlight his voice and the types of songs that he sings well. It is also just catchy enough that fans of his new stuff will like it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my Gosh!, April 28, 2001
I bought this CD after hearing Kenny's newest single "Don't Happen Twice". Only after listening did I realize that I had heard his awesome voice before. All the favorites go by on this CD like: "You Had Me From Hello", "What I Need To Do", "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", and "How Forever Feels". There are also some new favorites (of mine) like "I Lost It", "Baptism", and "The Tin Man".
Kenny is a very talented performer and the way he brings these songs to life is phenomenal. I you are a Kenny Chesney fan, this is a great way to have all your faves on one disc. If you are not a KC fan, you will be after listening to this CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collection of Kenny's Earlier Work, June 21, 2008
This cd is old; it came out in 2000 before "No Shoes, No Shirt ..." and "When the Sun Goes Down" were released. Both of those cds have propelled Kenny into pop-country stardom and some fans many be unaware of the songs on Kenny's first few albums.

Since this cd highlights Kenny's earlier work, many of his newer fans may be unfamiliar with the songs on the "Greatest Hits." This cd is great for the fans who want a sample of pre-2000 Kenny without having to buy all of his early albums. My favorite songs are "Back Where I Come From" and "She Think's My Tractor's Sexy."

Greatest Hits