5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Fan now
Published on January 27, 2001 by nachtnoir

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth It
I'm generally not a fan of Greatest Hits packages--especially when they are padded out with "new classics," a cynical marketing ploy that Kravitz has fallen for here--but this one is worth it.
Published on December 12, 2000 by David Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Fan now, January 27, 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I was never huge fan of Lenny Kravitz. Not so say that I didn't like him, but I never waited at the record store to pick up any of his CD's. This is the only one of his disks that I own. This is the only one you need to own. All of the songs of his you hear on the radio are here, and all of them are excellent. The reason I bought this CD was the new song Again included on the disk that is getting alot of air time. After listening to the disk in it's entirety, I'm glad I didn't just buy the single.
There are songs on here that I've heard before, but after hearing them now, I can't seem to think why I didn't buy any of the other CD's he's put out. Fly away, last years big hit, Beleive, Let love rule, Are you gonna go my way, all of them are here. But my favorites are Again, and the beatiful Heaven Help. I think Heaven Help is the best track here, but you will make your own mind up there.
No matter what, you will at least find 2 or 3 favorites on this disk. I have decided to go out and by the rest of his catalogue too, I may have just found what I have been missing. I'm a Fan now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Talented Man, December 28, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Lenny Kravitz writes a great song... only problem is he can't write 6 or 8 good ones at once. That's why this album is very good. It takes the best of the bunch and puts them on a single disc. George & Weezie Jefferson would have been proud to hear this kind of music coming out of their high-rise apartment way back when on TV. Much of Kravitz's music seems retrospective of the 1970's - which is where I grew up and got into rock music... so I like it a great deal. Kravitz credits many influences - Hendrix for one... but Lenny is his own man with his own style. Lenny plays drums, lead, rhythm and bass guitars, keyboards and sings... he is the complete musician. He has in the past and is capable of giving us an album - all by himself. I also want to thank him for producing Cree Summer's "Street Faerie" disc - which is just awesome. Cree is a unique black & soulful artist with a huge future in front of her... thank you Mr. Kravitz for finally bringing her to light. If you want one Kravitz studio album, go with "Are You Gonna Go My Way". If you want a nice package covering the career & recent hits - this "Greatest Hits" is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STUFF..., October 25, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Thank goodness Lenny Kravitz put out a greatest hits CD, although we all know that this is just one of many to come since he still has a lot of rock left in him. BUT, for those of us who can't afford to spend all of our hard earned dough, cheese, 'benjamins' (take your pick) collecting his body of work since the late 80s, this is the perfect retrospective.
Lenny has evolved throughout the years, and getting this CD is a great way to discover which sides of his musical expression you're into - since he's very much into what he's feeling at the time when he makes his music...I know I personally liked his early work a lot, but he won me back with the last album.
Especially if you're a casual fan, this is one of the best buys (in music period) that you'll come across in a long time. Definitely quality, with no filler. Good stuff...
Knyte (Trust Me)
My favorites? "It Ain't Over Till It's Over", "Always On The Run" (so funky...), and "I Belong To You"...
Yeah!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been a fan since the beginning, and I love the album!, November 25, 2000
V. Messner (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Lenny Kravitz since the first time I saw the "Let Love Rule" video on Mtv, about ten years ago. Unlike some other greatest hits packages, where the artists pick THEIR favorite songs to put on the record, this album contains all of Lenny's well known releases. Personally, I added a few songs to the album when I transferred the cd to cassette("Does Anybody Out There Even Care","Flower Child", and "Tunnel Vision"), but I still can't complain about this albums content, because almost everything is here! Lenny's versatility and variety are showcased very nicely. There are fast songs that rock, there are great slow songs, and a mix that falls right in between. I was especially pleased to see the song "Believe" on the album, because for me, it's Lenny's most inspirational song. The message of 'believe in yourself' can never be heard too often in this society, with it's constant emphasis on "achieving and succeeding" to prove one's self worth. People vary, some apparently successful, some apparently unsuccessful, but at the core, we all need simple belief to carry on and grow in our everyday lives. That applies to CEO's and garbage men, and that's why I love the song. Lenny Kravitz and his insistence on staying true to himself, regardless of what the critics had to say, is something that I greatly admire. In the beginning, he was often told to make his music "blacker", or it would never sell. Now, ten years later, Lenny is still growing and proving that remaining faithfull to yourself is the way to go, despite what the 'critics' think. I'd recommend this album highly to those familiar, or unfamiliar with Lenny Kravitz, just for the passion, musicianship, and talent that's contained within this cd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, December 12, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It works in this case because Kravitz makes hot singles but has yet to put together a solid LP. "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is a blast, but it comes off an LP so full of holes I can't often bring myself to sit through it. By buying this repackage, you get the gems and avoid the filler that takes up so much space on the other LPs.
As for critics of Kravitz, who say he "sounds too much like Prince/Beatles/Hendrix/whatever," I don't get it. In the first place, he sounds nothing like the artists he's compared to. He's never tried to ape another artist, unlike Oasis, who have said flat-out that they are trying to remake Beatles LPs. In the second place, who would have ever thought that sounding like the Beatles or Hendrix would be considered a liability?
The insertion of "Again" is annoying, but that seems to be the only way record companies are willing to release this type of package anymore. The whole "instant classic" marketing theme is cynical and stupid.

5.0 out of 5 stars KRAVITZ GREATEST HITS IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET TO KNOW HIM, May 26, 2001
Jay Siekierski (STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits (Virgin) collects 15 of the bad boy's best recordings from his 5 Virgin albums. The only exception is the new self penned song "Again" which is a great rock/r&b styled tune and is a hit and another classic for Kravitz. Those who have been unsure how to take Kravitz, should get this CD. Not only is he a good jack of all trades (writer, singer, producer & multi instrumentalist) he style is not easy to pin down as he is soulful, rootsy and rockin' all in one. If there is only one or two songs you may have liked by him and not an entire album, those songs are probably here and this CD will convince you of the man's worth. Highlights included are "American Woman (a great remake!)," "It Ain't Over Til It's Over," "Fly Away," "Let Love Rule" and of course the new hit "Again". If "Again" predicts the future of Kravitz... The road is wide open.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fly Away, Rocker Soul Brother!, October 24, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
There doesn't seem to be an end to the musical dexterity of Mr. Lenny Kravitz. He blends heavy guitar rock with traditional black soul so well, that sometimes it becomes difficult to classify his work. He always manages to silence his critics with one above-par album after the other. This best of...collection is just what a lot of his fans have been waiting for. You simply cannot beat the guitar work in songs like, "Are you gonna go my way", "American woman", and "Fly away". "It ain't over till its over", "Let love rule", and "Again", are also some of the songs constantly under the "Repeat" command on my CD player. This rocker soul brother is definitely gonna be up there for a long time. A definite must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid collection of a good artist's best songs, April 5, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Most other reviewers have hit this cd dead-on. It is a collection of very good songs from Lenny that show a broad range of styles that he has adopted over the years. The harder rocking songs - Are You Going to Go My Way, Fly Away, American Woman, Rock and Roll is Dead - are the better of the mid level songs in this collection. The two best songs, Let Love Rule and Mr. Cab Driver, are simply awesome. Let Love Rule has one of the best sax solos to ever be featured on a rock album and Kravitz really belts out the tunes. Mr. Cab Driver does have, as several others have criticized, a very primitive sound to the first 3/4 of the song, but that is intentional; there is something great about making a really poignant social statement that really packs a wallup and has a good beat on equipment that sounds like it was picked up at Wal-Mart for under $100.
The rest of the slower songs vary quite a bit. It Ain't Over Till It's Over is pretty heartfelt. Again, is about as deep as and sounds like, a made for vh-1 heavy metal ballad, without significant guitars.
Several others have remarked on Kravitz's major weakness: his lyrics. I liked them on Mr. Cab Driver, but on nothing else. They are sophomoric and incredibly repetitive on some songs (esp. Fly Away and Black Velveteen). I'd like to ask Lenny why he doesn't try writing a few different lyrics rather than just repeating the chorus 15-20 times (literally).
Finally, I would just like to comment a bit tangentially on one point. I have not seen Kravitz live, but I bet he would be excellent. This is based on his performance of Are You Going To Go My Way on Saturday Night Live a few years back. I have seen at least 150 SNL episodes over the years, and the acoustics and sound system are just awful. I have seen only four acts that actually sounded decent on that show, and Kravitz was one of them. The other three were James Brown, Neill Young, and surprisingly, the Bangles.
If you probably don't want to buy all of Kravitz's albums, get this one. If you might want to start a collection, get this one (it's handy to have all of the songs together) and get his first and best cd, Let Love Rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as a Greatest Hits Collection Gets, December 11, 2005
L.A. Scene (Indian Trail, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
In the mid 1990s, I heard a concert promotion radio ad that was basically introducing the performer to be "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Star". When they announced that star to be Lenny Kravitz, I must admit, I nearly drove off the road when I heard that. I had realized Kravitz had some commercial success and had a nice following, but "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Star"? - Come On! However, now about a decade later, as I have begun to get a deeper appreciation for what Rock music has to offer, I now realize that perhaps there is some real merit to that radio ad. I'm still not ready to put Kravitz up there with the upper echelon of Rock with the Paul McCartneys, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteens, or even Billy Joels - however, it is safe to say that Kravitz could easily be one of the great revelations of the 1990s and has lived completely up to expectations as he has entered the 2000s. In 2000, Kravitz amassed enough material and success to release his first Greatest Hits album. This collection, "Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits" provides some a great cross-section into Kravitz's musical career and is a great place to start if you are interested in checking out Kravtiz's material.

"Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits" hits focuses on the first decade of Kravitz's career (1989-2000). During this time, Kravtiz would release five solo albums for an average of 1 album every 2 years. These albums (and the associated tracks included from these albums) are: 1989's "Let Love Rule" ("Mr Cab Driver", "Let Love Rule"); 1991's "Mama Said" ("It Ain't Over Til It's Over", "Stand By My Woman", "Always On the Run"); 1993's "Are You Gonna Go My Way" ("Are You Gonna Go My Way", "Heaven Help", "Believe"); 1995's "Circus" ("Rock and Roll is Dead", "Can't Get You Off My Mind"); "5" ("Fly Away", "I Belong to You", "Black Velveteen"). As with the case of most greatest hits albums, there is one new song to stimulate album sales among the deep fan base - a very solid song called, "Again". It is worth noting that Kravitz's cover of the Guess Who's "American Woman" is also included on this collection. This song was part of the soundtrack of "Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me", but was eventually included on the re-issue of "5". One thing that is very nice about this collection is that it is split among the 5 albums just about evenly. I'm pleased that there are even two songs from his first album which was really not commercially successful.

I think that Kravitz hits the three main dimensions that I expect from a successful solo artist: Vocals, Instrumentation, and Songwriting. On top of these three dimensions, Kravitz cross all of these dimensions by providing a variety of different music styles. Whether it is hard Rock, R&B, or Funk - Kravitz finds ways to incorporate these styles and more into his music. Kravitz was influenced by Prince who also incorporated similar styles into his music. "Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits" will show examples of this wide range of diversity. You can hear Kravitz's Hard Rock style on "Are You Gonna Go My Way", "American Woman", "Fly Away", "Rock and Roll is Dead" and "Always on the Run". Songs such as "Mr Cab Driver" have a definite Funk influence in it - especially on the Bass. Still songs such as "Heaven Help" , "It Ain't Over Til its Over", and "I Belong to You" show Kravitz' R&B side. Despite these obvious influences, it is not easy to pigeon-hole Kravtiz's music into one musical genre. There are many of his songs that definitely cross several of these genres and also break new ground. Perhaps the best example of this is "Black Velveteen". "Black Velveteen" has been a song that Kravitz has been criticized for, but I happen to think it's the best song he has done. The song does have a "Euro Pop" feel, but it you will hear parts of Hard Rock and even R&B overlaid on top of this. I like how Kravitz tries to do something "out of the box" and "different" to his music. Kravitz's ability to innovate didn't happen late in his career - listen to his early song "Let Love Rule". Kravitz uses combines some R&B with some Jimi Hendrix-like sounds to give a unique sound.

As mentioned I think it comes down to the three dimensions I list above. Kravitz shows incredible range on his vocals - whether it's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over", "Let Love Rule" or his new track "Again", Kravitz will show he is not one dimensional as a vocalist. From an instrumentation standpoint, Kravitz is well-known for his incredible guitar, but also listen to his Bass work as well. You'll hear Kravitz incorporate other instruments as well - such as piano on "Heaven Help" or horns on "Let Love Rule" and "Always on the Run". Lost in this whole picture is some of Kravitz's songwriting - this is perhaps one of the most overlooked dimensions of his talent. Once again, this can even be traced early to his career - on 1989's "Mr Cab Driver", he describes the experiences of racism and discrimination.

There is one negative on this collection. I normally like when an artist puts tracks in chronological order because this allows me to hear how the artist progressed over time. Unfortunately, this collection does not do so. It would have been a great strength if this had been done on this collection.

The liner notes include the lyrics to the new song - "Again". The songwriting credits as well as what album the song is included on are also included in the liner notes. Overall, this is as solid a Greatest Hits album as it gets. The only other negative may be as Kravitz continues to have success, this album might someday be eclipsed by a more current Greatest Hits portfolio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT,COHESIVE COLLECTION, June 16, 2002
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
A retro man and a flamboyant rock chameleon,Lenny Kravitz is the defintion of evolution in the music buisness.
From the ambitious days of "Let Love Rule" when the press had fun calling him Mr. Lisa Bonet to the more nitty-gritty,modern
feel of his more recent work("5" and "Lenny"),Lenny's grown
and this excellent greatest hits collection-which gathers together his most well-known and/or best singles-documents it consistenly.
Spanning from '89's aforementioned "Let Love Rule" to '98's
"5","Greatest Hits" features many inspired(yet not-that-original) numbers that span from confident,Hendrix moves
(the once-ubiqtious opener "Are You Gonna Go My Way") to
smooth,soulful tracks like "It Ain't Over Till It's Over","Heaven Help",and "I Belong To You"(shame on R&B radio for ignoring these singles!),"Greatest Hits" captures Lenny's high points well.Can't fail to mention "Can't Get You Off My Mind","Stand By My Woman",and the joyus "Let Love Rule"-all noteworthy.
(And of course,the funky remake of "American Woman" and the Sly Stone inspired "Always on The Run")
The only misteps is the painfully bad,new wave homage "Black
Velveteen" and the well-intended yet tepid "Fly Away" and "Believe".
Other than that,my only complaint would be of the exclusion of a few songs.As an ardent Lenny fan,I'm surprised that "Let Love Rule"'s "I Build This Garden For Us","Mama Said"'s "Flowers For Zoe",and "5"'s "Thinking Of You" and "If You Can't Say No" were omitted.But no love is lost because they only can include so many songs.
This is a perfect set for casual Lenny Kravitz fans(Altough for the casual fans,I recommend "Mama Said" and "5").It also features a lone new track in "Again",a ballad which became Lenny's biggest hit at pop radio in years.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Lenny Kravitz (Audio CD - 2000)