4.0 out of 5 stars Strange collection still works pretty well
Published on May 21, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Clancy's are better live
My grandfather had an eight track of the Clancy Brothers performing a live concert. It made this hillbilly wish he was Irish. I have to say that the studio recordings on Greatest Hits loose a lot of the ebergy from that eight track.
Published on November 13, 2006 by D. White

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange collection still works pretty well, May 21, 1999
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a strange, package -- songs mostly made famous by the Clancys with their former partner (Tommy Makem), yet re-done in a one-off recording session for Vanguard. That said, this still works pretty well. At that time (circa 1973) the boys still had enough vim and vigor to carry off the old bravado of tunes like Rosin The Bow and Jug of Punch. The instrumentation is only average -- sometimes it's so simple that you miss it -- but that's hardly a major complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST!!, December 17, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is by far the best Clancy Brothers CD I have listened to. Not only is the price right but there are 24 songs on here with a wide range of appeal. Many are upbeat arrangements by the Clancy Brothers but there is also traditional fare here as well. BUY THIS AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mixture of mostly fun songs..., October 19, 2002
William E. Adams (Midland, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Without Tommy Makem, Clancy Brothers' albums lose a bit of their Irishness, both in vocals and in playing, but it is definitely not a fatal blow. Lou Killen is a skilled singer and musician, and this 1973 double-LP has much that is worthily done. In fact, it would be my recommendation as an introduction to the Clancys for anyone who might find their bitter anti--Brit renditions, or mournful (and bitter as well) anti-World War I songs a bit much. This collection strikes a nice balance...the humorous songs are not as silly as some the Brothers have recorded, and the serious tunes are not as grim as others in their repertoire available on other CD's. For the beginner in Clancy lore, this should hook 'em. I've been a fan since 1962 or so. The ones I like best on this disc include "Gallant Forty-twa"; "Whistling Gypsy"; "Roddy McCaulay"; "Irish Rover;" "Old Woman From Wexford" and "Holy Ground." For the price, I don't think there is a better or larger collection available. (Just as an aside, I want to thank the original Kingston Trio for putting out several of these songs on their albums between 1958 and 1962. They led me to not only the Clancy Brothers, but to Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Cisco Houston as well...and probably others, and those artists led me to investigate their own inspirations, role models and favorite writers. Such is the connective power of good music.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Clancy Brothers- the way they should be heard., March 12, 2002
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite Irish ballad CDs.The tunes are well chosen for sadness, Patriot Game to the funny Old Maid In The Garrett.There is humor and rebellion and history here, all to be enjoyed by the Irish where ever they maybe,and as my father used to say, those that wish they were Irish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection of Irish songs, October 20, 1999
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Some of the songs are little known, but all are wonderful to listen to. They're easy to sing with, and lots of fun. It's one of my favorite irish albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clancy Brothers Greatest Hits, June 7, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The group was very popular in the 1970s and 1980s. They here sing 24 traditional Irish songs, recorded in 1973. They harmonise beautifully, with a fine background of banjo and guitar. All cheerful songs. For fans of Irish pub music, this is one of the best. For me, very pleasant memories of their songs that I enjoyed 40 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still great after all these years, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (MP3 Music)
Loved them way back when and now they are just as much fun to listen to. Will probably look for some others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to Have Two!, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
After my first Clancy Brothers purchase... I just had to have another. They are such a refreshing quartet of energy and talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Clancys', January 17, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is my first Clancy Brothers CD and I love it. Brings me back to my Irish roots. Cheers... All.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found at last!, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Greatest Hits (MP3 Music)
I bought this album as an audio cassette titled 'Golden Hour of the Clancy Brothers with Lou Killen' in New York in the 1970's and have loved it ever since. As the tape will not last forever I have been searching for a CD version - I managed to find most of the songs but not 'the Mermaid' which is one of my favourites - and now I've found the whole lot under a different name! I think this is possibly their best album. I can't recommend it too highly.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by The Clancy Brothers (Audio CD - 1990)