5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lotta McGraw
Published on July 7, 2001 by Jim Bagley

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits?
Published on January 16, 2001 by Keith Gearlds

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lotta McGraw, July 7, 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The key to Tim McGraw's success is being able to select songs that the public likes - no make that LOVES. Sometimes its an irresistible beat that easily overrides an inane lyric like on "I Like It, I Love It" and "Down On The Farm." In other instances McGraw effectively takes on the role of everyday Joe that the public can identify with as on "Where The Green Grass Grows" and "Something Like That." Most of the time he aims for the heart, with "Don't Take The Girl," "Just To See You Smile," and "My Best Friend" among the tunes that press the right emotional buttons.
This Greatest Hits contains a whopping 15 recordings. So prolific is McGraw's hitmaking over the past seven years that there is eight more top ten charters that didn't even get included. Unfortunately, they include two of his best, most heartfelt recordings: "Everywhere" and "One Of These Days" (look for them on the EVERYWHERE CD).
There is no new material to entice the longtime McGraw listener. It's a great set though for the casual country fan who wants to capture on one CD some of the most popular recordings in recent country music.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good compilation, November 22, 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This album isn't as thorough as it could be. There are many key tracks missing that were also hits. "Everywhere", "Can't Be Really Gone", "One of These Days", "Not a Moment Too Soon", "Some Things Never Change", and "Refried Dreams" are all missing. Having said that, the 15 tracks that are present serve as a very good introduction to those who aren't familiar with Tim McGraw's music. I question putting "Let's Make Love" on there since that is more of a Faith Hill song and appears on her album "Breathe". The cd is just over 55 minutes so all those other tracks I mentioned could have been added. But I do like the album nonetheless and although there are no new tracks, it's a great collection for those who want most of McGraw's music on one collection. This is Tim McGraw's first greatest hits compilation and at the rate his songs climb the charts, I don't think this will be his last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim McGraw is Awesome, January 31, 2005
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Tim McGraws Greatest Hits is one of the best country cds there is. His songs are easy to identify with and apply to your own life. They include songs about love, life, and friendships. The songs include both fast and slow beats that will make you sing either way. His music is easy to understand and sing along with. You can listen to his music in any mood you are in. His music can reach more than just country fans. My favorite song on here is "My Best Friend" a song about two people who are more than lovers but also best friends and how their could never be another person to make you feel that way. "My Best Friend" is a slow song but "Where the Green Grass Grows" is an upbeat song. If you like variety and country music this cd is for you. If you like artists such as Kenny Chesney or Keith Urban you would definently like Tim McGraw.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Today's Best Male Artists, January 2, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is one of the best greatest hits albums out today. Tim McGraw is approaching the level of George Strait and Alan Jackson with this quality of work. I particularly like the fact that song selections are from each of the last four albums and lean toward country more than pop. Tim McGraw has a unique and pleasant voice, good material, and injects emotion in his work. This all adds up to enjoyable listening experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits?, January 16, 2001
Keith Gearlds (Louisville, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, Tim McGraw is one of my favorite artists of all times. I think he's one of the true country artists left AND he knows how to pick the songs, but I mean, come on Tim, this is supposed to your "GREATEST Hits." We the inclusion of tunes like "Maybe We Should Just Sleep On It" and "Let's Make Love," which technically isn't really Tim's song, and the baffling non-existence of his true greatest hits like "Not A Moment Too Soon," "Everywhere," and "Can't Be Really Gone," this album just doesn't live up to my definition of "Greatest Hits." Of course, since I am a huge Tim McGraw fan, I can't just bash the album because I did buy it. He does include some of his wonderful ballads like "Don't Take the Girl" and the #1 song of 1997, "It's Your Love." He also knows how to make a person tap his or feet with awesome hits such as his career booster "Indian Outlaw" and other uptempo songs such as "Down On the Farm" and "I Like It, I Love It." Tim's definitly gonna be around for a while, but I'm hoping "Greatest Hits Volume 2" lives up to its name.

5.0 out of 5 stars The songs that made Tim a star, August 31, 2005
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This compilation contains most of the hits that established Tim's reputation as a contemporary country hit-maker. Beginning as a traditional country singer, his debut album attracted little interest and he gradually changed his style with each of his next four albums sounding less country than the one before. Those four albums are the source of the hits featured here.

Tim's main strength lies in his unerring ability to select exactly the right songs to appeal to the public and which also suit his voice. He made his major breakthrough with the controversial novelty song Indian outlaw, but none of his other hits here contain controversial lyrics. What you will find are a couple of duets with his wife (It's your love, Let's make love), some up-tempo songs (most notably I like it I love it) and a lot of ballads, among my favorites being Don't take the girl, Just to see you smile, My best friend and the amusing My next thirty years.

While some country fans objected to Tim's move away from traditional country music, album sales and singles chart placings justify Tim's decision. This compilation is a reminder that Tim was one of the most successful country singers of the nineties. He didn't stop there, as his inevitable second volume of hits will eventually confirm.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Tim?, April 18, 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I'm a hard core Tim McGraw fan, but know what it's like to like a few songs from one artist, and really not know any of their other songs. If you're just getting into Tim and you want to buy an album, this is the one to start with. It contains all of Tim's Super smash hits and is really a fun collection of songs. Even if you don't recognize the titles to some of the songs, when you listen to them, you'll most likely be saying to yourself, "Oh yeah, I know this song...I didn't know it was Tim."
If you like this album, then I'd buy more of his albums--maybe starting with "Place in the Sun" or "Everywhere"--both contain several of the songs on his greatest hits album including:
Everywhere: "Just to see you smile", "Where the green grass grows", "It's your love", "For a little while";
Place in the Sun: "My Next Thirty Years", "Please Remember Me", "My Best Friend", and my all-time favorite Tim song "Something Like that".
If I could give this album more than 5 stars, I would. One of contemporary country's FINEST Greatest hits collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Career Retrospective - Artistic Growth, October 19, 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Normally, greatest hits packages include a few new tracks as bait for longtime fans who already own every CD by the artist. Tim McGraw's GREATEST HITS collection isn't one of those, but it is the perfect place to start for the casual fan who's heard and enjoyed McGraw's songs on the radio. GREATEST HITS does an admirable job of collecting McGraw's biggest successes since his 1994 breakthrough with the very politically incorrect single "Indian Outlaw."
The artist's hits usually fall into two categories--rockin' country rave-ups, and tender ballads. The best are collected here: the reach-for-the-Kleenex weeper "Don't Take the Girl," the goofy Mexicana of "Refried Dreams," the rowdy live favorites "Down on the Farm" and "I Like It, I Love It," and the sensuous, slow-burning "It's Your Love," one of two duets with McGraw's wife, Faith Hill. McGraw's later singles show a marked artistic growth, as evidenced by the sweeping, majestic "Please Remember Me," and the introspective "My Next Thirty Years." Two of McGraw's finest singles--"Everywhere" and "One of These Days"--are inexplicably missing, but GREATEST HITS is still a fine purchase for the fan who wants to beef up his or her country music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim McGraw's Greatest Hits, September 17, 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Tim McGraw's Greatest Hits cd is a must have for your cd collection. You will never get tired of listening to these country hits over and over again. Beginning with the controversial, yet career starting hit, "Indian Outlaw," this cd is full of wonderful songs that will make you want to join in and sing along. He follows up the first song with other great songs like, "Don't Take the Girl," "I Like it I Love it," and "Down on the Farm."

It has been four years since this cd came out and I still keep it in my cd player at home. I think it is about time for a new greatest hits cd to come out for Tim McGraw. There needs to be a cd with the current hits, such as "Real Good Man", "Red Ragtop", and "Live Like You Were Dying", along with the older songs that were overlooked on the first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Tim McGraw Classics", July 4, 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
"Greatest Hits" by Tim McGraw is a strong country compilation of great musical tracks. I concur with the reviewer that stated that this song is a great blend of songs that symbolize various emotional feelings. I enjoy this cd because it has an overall optimistic tone to it (even the more dramatic songs). In addition, many of these musical tunes symbolize the heart, creativity, and effort that Tim put forth. This cd is definitely worth owning because of the high-quality of the songs that have stood the test of time (and continue to do so) since its original release. The other great feature is that many of the songs are about relationships, and touch on themes of uplifting love for many couples. For example, "It's Your Love" is my husband's favorite song and symbolizes how he feels about me. "My Best Friend" is my favorite song, and is one that expresses the love that I feel for my spouse. "It's Your Love" is a great melodic gem about the healing powers of someone's love. "My Best Friend" is a fantastic music tune about loving someone that happens to be a close friend, and cares for you through both good times and challenging times. "Tim McGraw-Greatest Hits" is good to obtain if you enjoy collecting greatest hits of the country genre and/or you enjoy listening to all types of music (including love songs).

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Tim McGraw (Audio CD - 2000)