Customer Discussions > Kind of Blue forum

The Greatest Jazz album of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 18, 2010 3:06:11 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
Being a big jazz fan i always come back to Kind of Blue as the best album ever but I would like to know other peoples opinions as well. Jazz may have the richest history out of any genre of music so along with that are many other classics such as A Love Supreme, Time Out, Brilliant Corners, Ellington at Newport and the list goes on. So please express your views and opinions on the greatest jazz album ever or a list of your opinion of what the 5 or 10 best best jazz albums are

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 11:20:21 AM PDT
Igor says:
I know it would be a bit of overestimation to say "the greatest" but i think a very very very good one is "Wave" by A.C. Jobim.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 2:15:33 PM PST
For myself it's very hard to pick the "greatest jazz album of all time" but I can definitely try. Well I'm with the many many people who think Kind of Blue is one of the greatest jazz albums of all time but here's a list of my other greats.

1.Miles Davis: Someday My Prince Will Come
2.Bill Evans: At the Montreaux Jazz Festival (Dig)
3.Wayne Shorter:Speak No Evil
4.Sonny Rollins:Bridge
5.Charles Mingus:Blues & Roots
6.Wes Montgomery& Wynton Kelly Trio:Smokin at the Half Note
Of coarse there're many more albums I could list but these are some of what I think are the greatest.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 12:35:56 AM PST
If you limit the exercise to the best album ever by a sextet, then KIND OF BLUE has to be high on the list (and for me at the top) followed by BLUE TRANE. Coltrane was in my estimation at the top of his form in both of these outings and sparked wonderful efforts from the other artists. Best ever by a piano trio? Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson trios get my nod, the specific albums depending on my mood at the time. Best pianoless quartet? Gerry Mulligan in several beautiful efforts. This is an impossible task!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 12:46:20 PM PST
Lil Rook says:
Nice list Jonathon, I agree with your list and I like the Sonny Rollins album you named. Many people would choose Saxophone Colussus and Tenor Madness which are high on my list as well but The Bridge is a great classic album as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 12:49:35 PM PST
Lil Rook says:
I agree with the Bill Evans trio but I have to disagree with the Gerry Mulligan pianoless quartet. Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus would be in my opinion the best pianoless quartet album. I am HUGE fan of John Coltrane and have pretty much all of his albums from all periods and I do enjoy Blue Train. Its one of my favorite albums but I do prefer Giant Steps, Crescent, and Coltrane's Sound over it.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 7:10:30 PM PDT
SWboy says:
"Greatest album of all time" is a very bad way to
define music. Art exists on its own merits.
Comparing it to other art is a useless exercise.
Kind of Blue is a classic Jazz album.
Is it better than Giant Steps?
No. Someone might like it better though.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:41:24 AM PDT
Cain Knobel says:
"Underground" by Monk
"Money Jungle" by Duke
"Ah Um" by Mingus

Are the classics that I end up going back to year after year. Don't know if that makes the best, or just the ones that suit my taste the best.

The "newer" releases I keep going back to are:

"Wish" by Joshua Redman
"Songs: The Art of the Trio, Vol. 3" by Brad Mehldau
"23 Constellations of Joan Miro" by Bobby Previte

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 3:26:32 AM PDT
Les's top 20 says:
Louis Armstrong "Louis and the Good Book". Amazing!

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 6:03:03 AM PDT
ukcolin says:
I don't know much but I know what I like, Time Out by Dave Brubeck gets my vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 9:52:35 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I don't know much"

Sounds like the usual place to begin learning. There are some excellent books out there. I liked this one a lot AND here's another link to find it cheap. Enjoy.

Jazz Styles: History and Analysis (9th Edition)

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/3418457/used/Jazz%20Styles%3A%20History%20and%20Analysis

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 12:07:30 PM PDT
MrJay58 says:
Kind Of Blue (still the greatest); Giant Steps; Saxaphone Colossus; Ella In Berlin; Go (Dexter Gordon); Straight, No Chaser

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 9:27:50 AM PST
D. Pollock says:
Try Bill Evans and Jim Hall. Two albums without drums, bass, or any other instruments at all.
Undercurrent
Intermodulation

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 6:08:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 6:10:25 AM PST
Some worthy candidates IMHO:

Jazz at Massey Hall
Miles Davis - Kind of blue
Sonny Rollins - Way out west
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Thelonious Monk - Underground
Art tatum and Ben Webster (The Tatum group masterpieces vol. 8)
Charles Mingus - The black saint and the sinner lady
Masterpieces by Ellington

Saludos!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 12:20:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2013 12:21:35 PM PDT
Best? Impossible to say, but here are a few I've learned from in the way of opening my taste to new worlds.

"Kind of Blue." Of course. This album contains bits from some of the most important players of all time, just having fun and creating deathless art at the same time.

"Africa/Brass." The title cut is a jaw-dropper, even after half a century. Eric Dolphy's horn arrangement adds the right touch of breathtaking emotional power, and Elvin Jones' solo is truly psychedelic. Just as important, this represents a truly successful attempt to free jazz from confining changes, and move it toward riffing as a compositional device. In that respect, it was one of the first "fusion" albums.

"74 Miles Away." The Adderleys and Zawinul live, at their rockin' best, and their most musically witty. Zawinul's blues/gospel/rock/boogie sensibility was never grittier, and the "prepared piano" solo is a trip, as is Nat's "solo" for trumpet mouthpiece -- and no trumpet.

Since I'm a guitar guy:

"Reinventions." Sandy Bull's musical experiments paved the way for a lot of what later came to be called "jazz/rock." I review this album. Click my name with your mouse.

"Birds of Fire." The ultimate brain-damage guitar album of all time. Warning: do NOT listen to this on LSD, or you might spend time in a mental institution.

"Offramp." Pat Metheny's "mid-west farm-boy jazz" sensibility here reached its ultimate level of creativity. This is THE record to play when you're driving on the interstate at sunset.

"Upside/Downside." Mike Stern's style, halfway between Jim Hall and blues great Roy Buchanan, goes off into street-fight territory here. With help from Jaco, this SHREDS. Forget Clapton, let alone SRV.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kind of Blue forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 18, 2010
Latest post:  May 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kind of Blue
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (MiniDisc)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,061)