5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Use of CGI
Published on November 7, 2011 by Neo Noircat

3.0 out of 5 stars Come for the interviews...
What we have here is ten hours of Tank History, dealing with mostly the World War Two period, but also touching on other tank battles of post-war period. Post-war of course being post-World War Two.
Published 20 months ago by Michael Valdivielso

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Use of CGI, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
When CGI came around, it was impressive to see space battles and giant alien robots, but what really thrilled me were movies that recreated history in a way not possible until this new technology. With grim scale, ENEMY AT THE GATE showed us the Battle of Stalingrad. Hokey as it may be, even Michael Bay's PEARL HARBOR delivered a view of World War II unimaginable to the epic filmmakers of the 1960, who had to shoot THE LONGEST DAY, THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN, THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, or A BRIDGE TOO FAR on a grand scale, with casts of thousands and every refurbished airplane, tank and half track they could gather together (and repaint) from Spain and Eastern Europe.

GREATEST TANK BATTLES, a Canadian production that mimics the DOGFIGHTS series, shows us another brilliant use for computer generated imagery. As informative and nearly as exciting as a video game, GREATEST TANK BATTLES delivers stories of armored combat told by the participants and recreated with amazingly impressive CGI. The First Gulf War is covered, along with the Arab-Israel conflict, but most of the action occurs during World War II and is told from both sides of the European front, by former US, Canadian, Russian, and German soldiers in their onw vivid words.

Highly recommended, and the best tank fighting you will ever see--until Michael Bay decides to remake THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, anyway.

2013 ADDENDEM: Why, oh why has Season Two of this tremendous show not been released on DVD??? That's a crime!

5.0 out of 5 stars CGI makes this documentary awesome, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
The first reviewer totally nails how CGI makes this documentary so good and I agree with him 100%. It takes info many of us WWII history buffs already know about tanks & battles and 'fills in the gaps' that exisisting film of the events can't provide. If you are a fan of Military History--you will love this DVD!

4.0 out of 5 stars solid look at great tank battles., January 29, 2012
Michael Dobey (colorado springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
I don't know what the one star reviewer is complaining about. In fact the battles depicted in this series are accurate. The complaints about the effects are a waste of time too. This is a canadian show that is also shown on the Military Channel and they don't have the budget for supergreat effects. One could complain about the bloodless nature of the show. The do show real pictures of dead bodies and burning tanks. But in the recreated scenes you don't see humans at all. Which wasn't the case mostly. So this is a cleaned up version of the battles. However it really does give you a idea of the terrible battles that people have gone through! It's engaging and awesome in spite of the fact that it's cgi. It also includes interviews from people who were actually at these battles. I would say that anyone interested in tanks or military history should be pleased with this series. I hope they make a series 3 , at this point there is only 20 episodes. If you don't expect top notch cgi and know what you are getting this one is well worth your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some flaws, but good series, April 4, 2012
Olddesertguy "DesertCop" (Imperial, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
First off, I'm glad someone made this series, but they could have made it better. The most glaring thing is the music is way too loud. They are trying to have music, battle sounds and interviews with veterans all going at the same time, and the music drowns out everything. In my opinion they shouldn't even have music while the guy is talking. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, it's kind of weird with no humans at all in the recreated scenes. Third, sometimes their scale is way off, with what should be 300 yards seeming more like 25. One other thing, it gets kind of irritating when they repeat things as if you forgot what they just said five minutes ago. This may have to do with my watching it on the Military Channel. They repeat what they just showed you after every commercial break. I don't know if this is present in the DVD series, but it seems like they are trying to stretch an extra fifteen minutes into the program. That said, they did a good job with the graphics and I found the interviews with the veterans very interesting. I am also pleased that someone can somewhat bring to life battles that I had to envision in my head before, without knowing exactly what the terrain looked like, etc. I highly recommend this series, but it does have its faults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and entertaining, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
I love this series and can't wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD as well. The battles give map views, units involved and numbers, and brief summary of what led up to the battle. Yes there are some errors in the CGI films in terms of the tanks' details but they are still entertaining and give a good sense of what took place during the battles. The many veteran clips from all the different armies are a huge plus to give the individual soldier and personal perspective. After watching clips I found on youtube, I was sold on getting the DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the battles from inside the turret!, July 7, 2013
Dr. Glenn W. Briggs "MusicDr" (KSC, Florida & Chengdu, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
For collectors of war films, and especially for those who study military history and strategy, this collection is a "must have." While it is interesting and often exciting to watch war films that sometimes include an overabundance of fictitious drama, such is not the case here. The animation of these tragic and incredibly destructive events is extraordinary, and often shows the "tragedy and destruction" through the eyes of those who participated in the battles. I am sure that many members of "Our Greatest Generation" who actually participated in the conflicts own the series. This is definitely a good investment for those viewers who like both the drama and reality of "how battle really is."

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Only Season I On DVD?, August 4, 2014
Ricardo (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
Superb use of CGI. Historically accurate with excellent commentary and interviews.

Why, oh why, are seasons 2 and 3 not available as DVD's???

I (and several other people I've spoken with) would much prefer to watch these videos via their HT systems which are not set up for streaming. Yeah, I know that's a personal choice, but watching these via a PC instead of a 60" HD television with mega-watt amps and sub-woofers simply isn't the same.

Makes me wonder how much money the producers and Amazon are losing by not making these additional seasons available as DVDs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Come for the interviews..., April 15, 2013
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
While there are a lot of veterans and first person accounts, which is awesome, we have to remember that their memories are flawed by time and their own age. Also, the show is known for its inaccuracies. For example, I agree that the Battle of Kursk should have two episodes about it, as it is likely one of the biggest and most important battle on the Eastern Front, if not the whole war in Europe. And as a American my military history books on World War Two barely cover it. But we have to understand we getting two view points of the same events, both from the German and the Russian troops and histories, which were than crushed together for entertainment. So you have to take it with a pinch of salt.
Also some people would look at the Battle of Alamein as a battle, mostly, between units of artillery and infantry, with armor in minor roles. If I remember right, a lot of the battles in Africa were decided by supply issues and air power. That does not decrease the importance of tanks, their speed and firepower in a mostly flat terrain, but many times they were not as major a factor as we would like to think.
The show also repeats itself, a lot, and of course being made for TV it has those blank moments where the commercials were meant to go. So a lot of that ten hours is repeating the same information and the same computer effects. Seems to have been made for the Military Channel and a tad on the cheap side. Kind of like watching a tank game for the Play Station Two. On one hand it seems to work and I would got really into the battle scenes. Other times I noticed the lack of any ground troops and I felt a tad cheated, thinking how weird it was to see guns aim themselves, and instead of enjoying the show I felt disbelief. Still, at the price it is not that bad and should join your DVD library. May I also suggest The Panzers if you have a interest in the development of the German Tank during World War Two? It uses film footage taken at the time by German military and film crews and, if feeling a tad bare boned, is well researched. Enjoy with popcorn!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good historical background, June 28, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
Good historical background. Anyone who thinks going to combat in a tank is some sort of picnic had better think again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Tank Battles DVD set, June 6, 2014
This review is from: Greatest Tank Battles (DVD)
Looking for reference material and this is a great source. I like the computerized images used with the colorful paint schemes properly depicted. I am looking forward to the availability of more volumes when available.

Greatest Tank Battles
Greatest Tank Battles by Discovery (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $11.99