Greatest Zombie Novel Ever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2009 1:03:19 PM PST
ARK says:
What is your favorite zombie novel?

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 6:47:29 AM PST
Alan Ralph says:
Has to be 'The Breathing Dead' although it's more of a novelette. However it's like pasta, very filling but an hour later you want more. Great read for a journey.

Posted on Aug 15, 2009 9:08:32 PM PDT
Cube says:
These novels are at the top of my zombie novel list

Dying to Live (1st book) by Kim Paffenroth
World War Z by Max Brooks
Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne
Eden by Tony Monchinski
The Rising by Brian Keene

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 11:50:54 AM PDT
Mstrplnr says:
You should check out Rhiannon Frater and her trilogy "As the World Dies".. just amazing work!

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 6:37:05 PM PDT
Started reading "As the World Dies" but then got side tracked with "Dead End" by Anthony Giangregorio, this is such a good book, shish.it's even kind of sad.I mean ia person really gets to know the characters.
But your know another day,another mouth to feed....
Life goes on.

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 7:53:12 PM PDT
The Morning star strain books are really good by Z.A. Recht he has 2 books out so far. Day By Day Armageddon by J.L Bourne is really good as well, cant wait for the upcoming books for both series.

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 9:33:16 AM PDT
I heard that DBDA vol. 2 will be out in Febuary 2010.
Can't hardly wait for that, so in the mean time,I'v been reading A. Giangregoria.
Man, I wish there would have been books like these for my parents to read bedtime stories,instead of Mother goose!

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 12:41:44 AM PDT
If you want to read a zombie novel that is absolutely nothing like any of the aforementioned, check out "Every Sigh, The End."

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 3:45:31 AM PDT
Willie B says:
The Walking Dead graphic novel series

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 3:26:01 PM PDT
Try to focus on scary books like after life, Barren Earth, Barren Earth, Dead City, Z day is here, The Dead Walk Diaries: Night by Joe Young

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 7:52:07 PM PST
T. J. Young says:
I haven't found my favorite yet. I'm still searching (one of the better ones was Eden but it had a ton of grammar and spelling issues). Since this is the Day by Day forum, here's what I thought about this one:

Ok, let's be real here. I read some of these reviews and wonder if they're reading the same book as I am. Let's be straight forward and honest from the beginning, this is NOT a book. It's not a novel or traditional story, it's a journal. As such the writing is done in such a way that requires the author to go day by day and explain what he's doing. Unfortunately most of that is so far fetched it set me back from the tale.

I was in the military (much like this author is), and I can honestly say that I never knew a single person that lived near a military installation and did the types of preparations this story character did. Things like putting up solar panels, and having stacks of ammunition and food supplies. It just doesn't happen. A normal service member wont be able to take home MRE's or ammo cans filled to the brim. He wont have lighting to set up on a perimeter at his house, or the means (or need) to put up solar panels for electricity.

I ended up stepping back from this book and going, "This is just too far fetched. There's far too much preparation going on for someone like this" (a pilot mind you). Had it been some off the wall Special Forces soldier or Infantryman, I could almost believe half of what occurred. Unfortunately it seemed like everything was just working out in his favor throughout the whole story. There were very few foul ups and it didn't seem "real" to me.

Now I would love to rate this story higher. It was compelling for the average fan of the genre... but having the knowledge and experience I do, I couldn't connect with the character at all. I wanted to enjoy this thing more than I had and it was a shame. If I could put an accurate scoring on this book it would be a 3.5. Unfortunately this website doesn't allow half stars so I'm stuck with underscoring or overscoring, so I went with the higher one.

Most people will enjoy the book for what it is. There's obvious spelling and grammar errors throughout... but that's been written off as being a journal and therefore accepted by the people I've talked to. I'm not going to argue that one. I was however disappointed with the lack of information in each journal entry. I really wanted to connect with this character and I just couldn't. He didn't give me enough to work with.

As I recall this is the authors first novel. It's definitely a good start but he needs to go further with the next one. I had heard he planned to release a sequel to this and I might give it a go to see what's been improved upon. But I just can't say this was the greatest Zombie novel I've read. I'm still searching for that winner. I think most people will enjoy this book for what it is.

Posted on May 5, 2010 12:25:25 PM PDT
W. Darling says:
i mean i love plague of the dead and day by day armageddon, although patient zero had alot of action and beyod the zombie story which was a great read and had a great main character that you want to know more about and look forward to more books about him that jonathan maberry is writing

Posted on May 28, 2010 11:19:04 AM PDT
Having only read five zombie novels, I'd have to say I'm a novice when it comes to the genre. I know what I do like: the classic Romero "brainless" zombie. I started off with The Zombie Survival Guide, and anyone reading this who's a fan of the zombie "post-apocalyptic" genre more than likely has read this book. I especially liked the anecdotes at the end of the book. The guide was nice, and funny most of the time, but I loved the stories at the tail-end about zombie encounters and how some of the survival elements in the guide where actually implemented into each narrative. I then moved on to World War Z which expanded on the end of the Zombie Survival Guide with many short story zombie encounters to round out the book. Dying to Live was the next novel I had read which I really liked. I especially liked the beginning and earlier part of the book. Kim Paffenroth does a great job of introducing you to the character and growing with him as the book progresses. You really feel for the character and his state of despair in feeling that he is the last person on earth. Day by Day Armageddon and White Flag of the Dead I'd have to say are my two favorites. They are very similar to one another, but manage to be distinct in their own ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 4:40:38 PM PDT
I've got to say...I loved these two books. They are definitely up there on my favorites! I just checked the status of my own horror novel and it came in one after "Day by day armageddon"!!!!! I am honored!!!
The Family Bones

We want more Zombies...oh, and I can't wait until Sunday when "The Walking Dead" starts on AMC..
Happy Halloween!

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 3:01:40 PM PST
Some good ones I reccomend
Monster Island, Nation and Planet by David Wellington, Cell by Stephen King, The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene, The Walking by Bentley Little, World War Z by Max Brooks and Empire by David Dunwoody. On a side note, AMC's The Walking Dead is the best basic cable show ever.

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 1:04:18 AM PST
New Yorker says:
I just read a fun Zombie novel - "Rise Again" by Ben Tripp. He's promising a sequel, thank goodness, because the ending will give you chills, but it seems to be way down the pike. I hope we don't have to wait as long as we did for the DBD sequel. Rise Again has a great woman protagonist, a sheriff with PTSD.

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 7:31:21 PM PDT
jac says:
I read a new indie writer's zombie book and liked it. It had a different take on zombies... it was written in the Caribbean. I really liked the whole voodoo spin.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/324126

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 7:25:33 AM PDT
Suzanne says:
You should try Into the Darkness: An Apocalyptic Zombie Novel (The Legend of Shadow and Light). Has almost all 5-star reviews. Extremely fast-paced thriller, with a new spin on zombies created by the Dark Lord. Excellent characters and a well-written manuscript. Has a heavy metal feel to the tone of the book. I read the whole thing 320pp in two sittings.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:43:23 AM PDT
william bebb says:
It's probably not the best but my favorite would probably be Valley of Death Zombie Trailer Park, and NOT because it's free or even because I wrote it. I'd say its my favorite because a pervert gets his face peeled off and eaten while still alive, then things get worse for him.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2009
Latest post:  May 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Day by Day Armageddon (A Zombie Novel)
Day by Day Armageddon (A Zombie Novel) by J. L. Bourne (Paperback - November 1, 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (819)