5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise
Published on March 28, 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't whole season
This set has only like a half part of the first season.........it's a shame because it's a very nice show
Published on September 17, 2008 by C. Yadira Castro

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, March 28, 2008
Amazon Customer (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
A little Animal House, some Van Wilder, a dash of American Pie, and a pinch of Gilmore Girls-esque drama, Greek is the kind of premise that could have easily gone cheesy and overdone. Fortunately, it doesn't; whether it's depictions of life in the Greek system are accurate or exaggerated, it manages to find a happy medium between alcohol-drenched party scenes and actual character-driven drama.
It's the characters, while mildly stereotypical, that really make the show; anyone who was awkward as a college freshman, whether they were in the Greek system or not, will identify with Rusty, the dorky physics major who longs to be in a fraternity; his older sister Casey may at first glance play the perfect blonde sorority princess, but she has plenty of flaws and problems to work through. Her current high-society boyfriend Evan, while definitely arrogant and a little flaky, also seems to have a sensitive side; but it's Casey's ex, ringleader of the Animal House-esque Kappa Taus, aptly-nicknamed Cappie, who steals the show. A funny, fast-talking, goofball with a heart of gold (which gets broken entirely too often), he's the kind of character you can't help but love (unless your Evan Chambers, anyway). The supporting characters, too, are surprisingly well-developed (Dale, Rusty's Bible-thumping, physics nerd roommate is hysterical, and Casey's archenemy Rebecca is the girl everyone loves to hate), and the show even tackles such issues as gays in the Greek system. However, the main theme of the show seems to be the importance of brotherhood, family and friendship. All in all, a great show, definitely worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Show Currently on TV, March 25, 2008
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
Greek is by far the best show on television right now. The ABC Family original comedy is probably more suited for people in their teens and 20's, but my mom also loves the show. It's smart, funny and sometimes painfully true. As somebody who experienced Greek life, this show really brings back a lot of memories. The DVD is a bit skimpy on extras, but the episodes themselves are enough to keep me buying Greek on DVD for future seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing Comedy, March 3, 2008
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
This is a cheeky comedy with heart. Greek is filled with fraternity antics, parties and pranks, but at the same time you find yourself truly caring about the characters and their relationships. I highly recommend the show to anyone looking for a fun mix of comedy and drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice surprise, April 15, 2008
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
It's about time! a show about teenagers which isn't only about a boy and a girl being together and talking about how they feel for each other over and over (we have some but it's not only about them).So we follow the freshmen year of several characters when they arrive to college.Of course we have all the cliches of the genre (betrayal,love,friends,ect...)but in a light and not too soapy way.It's like American Pie became a TV show without the horny geeks (we still have some though,but they're not the main characters).Plus,there's a big change compared to the shows of my youth,the gay guy (who isn't a crazy queen or a depressed kid who feel cursed) is as important and developped as the rest of the characters of the show,and it's a nice and modern way to put it.And of course,the soundtrack is huge! Hope it will be released in France,where I'm from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch "Greek", people. It's not their fault their on ABC Family., May 24, 2008
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
I've only recently gotten into the show "Greek", but I'm so glad I found it. When I first saw promos for the show I dismissed it, because, um...it's on ABC Family. I thought it would be a lame - heavy on the PG side of things - comedy series that wouldn't even be close to the college life I've experienced. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I finally caught an episode a few weeks ago, and then promptly ordered the DVD set.

"Greek" is such a witty, fun show. It doesn't sidestep the racier elements of college, but it also doesn't make it it's primary focus either. The characters are awesome (I heart Dale. Outside of infomercials, you don't see many Christian rock loving characters on TV) and the relationships are complex, realistic, and inspire many a chant of 'OMG. Just get back together already!'. Cappie and Casey, I'm looking at you. And I look menacing.

As for the DVD set, there isn't a whole lot on there. But I enjoyed finding out what roles certain actors tried out for in the beginning (Scott Michael Foster/'Cappie' was originally going to be Calvin? What?), only later to get another role instead. Also, some of the guys in the cast do commentary for one episode and much hilarity ensues.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS A GREAT TV SHOW !!!, March 24, 2008
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
I downloaded the first episode on xbox live and after about five minutes of watching I was hooked, great cast and script. I bought the dvd and I'm gonna enjoy watching the rest of season one. The best way to descibe this show is that its like a college soap opera and is very fun for all ages... get it... watch it... you won't be disapointed & you will love it... THIS SHOW IS THE BOMB!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets 'Em Up and Knocks 'Em Down, December 28, 2008
Rekidk (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
Greek is unique in that it begins by setting up a series of stereotypical characters--the nerdy freshman, the southern fundamentalist, the sorority girl, the jerk boyfriend, the closeted gay guy--and then, over the course of the season's run, destroys each and every stereotype.

By gradually adding depth to the characters and then letting them run loose in the college setting, the show's creators have managed to create believable and interesting situations that balance drama and comedy. The snappy writing is supported by strong ensemble acting. Ultimately, the show succeeds at what it sets out to do: to create a group of interesting characters that interact with one another in interesting ways.

[Buyer beware: this contains only the first ten episodes of Season One, which is to be expected for the low price.]

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't whole season, September 17, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the New Animal House, August 8, 2009
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
Like many reviewers I was shocked upon my first visit to Cyprus Rhodes University. Having been almost attacked with promos all spring in 2007 the series just seemed over the top, stereotypical and bland so I passed when the series initially aired. But then a friend insisted that I watched the series. And to my pleasant surprise I discovered a wonderfully entertaining and funny story of a group of kids just trying to survive the college experience.

In the pilot many of the characters are presented as 2-Dimensional stereotypes. You have the preppy boys, the hot/only-mildly-smart girl, the religious Texan, the nerd with the insane GPA and on and on. But not thirty minutes into the series the writers start to peal back the layers of the characters showing the audience their true aspirations, fears, and heartache. Within several episodes the characters have evolved from archetypes to people you very well could have gone to college with. The people who you ate with in the dinning hall, the people you crammed with before finals, your friends.

But I don't want to give the wrong impression of the show. First and foremost this is a quirky soap-comedy. Straying away from territory put forth by the perma-depressing "Felicity" or the too literal realm of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Dawson's Creek," the college presented in "Greek" is a understandably a fantasy college. Money is never an issue, while the characters are seen in class they seem to have as much free time in the world (especially since not one of them have a part-time job). But it is in the characters that you feel hooked into the series.

Put into a satirical almost fantasy-like world of the ultimate view of college (complete with 300 sq ft dorm rooms), these characters are the heart of the show. I know that for myself while I was entertained immensely from the amusing weekly shenanigans (which range from a depression-era speak-easy party, to a quest to make it rain beer, and having to run from an escaped mental patient) but it was the dynamic between the characters, the relationships, that brought me back episode after episode.

"Greek" is not a perfect show. It is cheaply made and obviously first-and-foremost aimed at those not yet in college. But for those who enjoy great character structure there is enough poignancy in this return trip to college to definitely make up for the price of admission. Highly Recommended.

The Special Features on the DVD include: a selection of deleted scenes, a sneak peak at "Chapter 2" (which is already available on DVD with `Chapter 3' as well), the featurette "Greek: The Initiation" (which is a behind-the-scenes look at the conception of the show, casting, and the initial several days of filming, and three commentaries (Creator Shawn Piller and cast talk over the "Pilot," while members of the cast discuss "Friday Night Frights" and "Separation Anxiety."

5.0 out of 5 stars I Fell in Love, August 17, 2009
This review is from: Greek: Chapter One (DVD)
I don't remember how I came across Greek but I started watching it online about a year ago. I started off with one episode and couldn't seem to stop. Soon enough I was finished the entire Chapter and craving more.

The show follows Casey, Cappie, and Evan (who are all in their third year) and the trials and tribulations that they face in their respected sororities and fraternities.

What gets interesting is when Rusty (Casey's awkward and nerdy brother) shows up. He adds a different perspective to the show. He's out of his element yet he pledges anyways in order to get the full "college experience". I like Rusty so much because his character allows for great diversity (among the already diverse cast) as he shakes things up. The characters are likable and they develop wonderfully as the show goes on. The plot always keeps you wanting more. I can't even describe how lovely the show is.

I would also like to point out that this show is age friendly! I loved it so much that after I purchased it I got my mom, dad, and grandma into it (plus a few friends my own age).

Definitely looking forward to the next season and I recommend this show to anyone and everyone!

Greek: Chapter One
Greek: Chapter One by Spencer Grammer (DVD - 2008)
$23.99 $4.08