5.0 out of 5 stars JUST LIKE MOM
AS A GREEK AMERICAN, I GREW UP WITH TRADITIONAL GREEK MEALS. VEFA'S COOKBOOKS ARE LIKE MY MOTHER OR GRANDMOTHER SITTING NEXT TO ME GIVING ME THE RECIPES. EVERY SINGLE RECIPE IS EXPLAINED IN SUCH A MATTER THAT IT IS VERY HARD TO MAKE A MISTAKE. IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUY ONE COOKBOOK, MAKE IT ONE OF VEFA'S.
Published on February 4, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars What I expected
A classical book for anyone who wants to learn a lot of things regarding greek cuisine. Vefa is quite famous in Greece for her recipes.
Published 14 months ago by Anastasios

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST LIKE MOM, February 4, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars This is *real* Greek food, December 26, 2000
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
I'm a Greek born and bred, and a keen foodie. Now I live in London, and I always recommend this book to my English friends. Let me tell you, not only do these recipes represent authentic Greek food, but they work, too! Vefa has a degree in chemistry and that comes across in her methodical instructions. The photos are also quite appetising! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars vefa's cookbooks, May 7, 2000
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
I am a Greek who recently moved to the US, and Vefa's books show the very best of today's Grrek cuisine. My mother in Greece has all her books, they're just the most authentic ones on the market. I hope the rest of them become available soon. Anna Tsirka, MD

5.0 out of 5 stars As a Greek American, this book is authentic., March 13, 1999
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
Vefa is the Maria Callas of Greek food. I use her recipes during Greek holidays like Easter and Christmas. Try her Pastichio and Moussaka recipes. She gives simple explanations to difficult recipes and they come out delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book!, July 6, 2002
"lzografos" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
I found this book to be easy to cook with and have used it for many receipes. The food tastes just like it is from Greece. The pictures are inspirational and make your mouth water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yiayia Vasiliki would have approved of Vefa!!!, January 5, 2006
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
I received this gift from my Husband's Aunt. They are both American Bred and Born. I am 100% Greek. I have always cooked Greek, but never had recipes, I cook by smell (wierd, I know). BUT this cook books is the BEST! I have heard of Vefa and saw her shows while in Greece. She is very informative in a simple sort of way. She does NOT keeping you guessing about what to do. She is precise and has extended my menu list greatly. Thank You Vefa for bringing my Yiayia into my kitchen as I do feel her presence even more with your help. You are just what I needed to start off my New year 2006. Chronnia Polla!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Greek cooking with modern style., December 19, 1998
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
Vefa Alexiadou brings you authentic traditional recipes with the ability to use modern kitchen accessories in preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Best Thing To Being There !!, July 10, 2009
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
I am a Greek American and this cookbook has authentic Greek recipes that anyone can prepare. The photos may look a bit strange but try the recipes...it's comfort food that feeds the soul and it's also "wallet friendly." Preparation is basic, no fancy equipment needed. I can feel my Yaya and Nouna smiling down at me each time I prepare one of the meals.
My husband and daughter agree - it's the next best thing to being in Greece !!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Julia Child of Greek Cooking, June 20, 2010
G. McFarland (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
After reading the comment above in a description of this cookbook, I took Vefa Alexiadou's name to my favorite local Greek restaurant and sent it into the kitchen asking if this would be a good cookbook to buy. The chef responded that she used a number of Alexiadou's cookbooks herself. And now we have just completed our second Greek dinner party and both were greeted with the types of smiles and comments that hosts love to see and hear from their guests.
The author's approach is direct; "no nonsense" is the phrase that comes to mind. In two pages she explains a number of Greek traditions and their links to Greek cuisine. The table of contents is logically divided into eight food groupings, and the book is well indexed. Each chapter begins with a narrative focused on that particular food grouping, and it leaves the reader feeling as if the author had just paid a visit and spent a few moments talking about her beloved country and its romance with food. The "general instructions" heading each chapter are like receiving loving instructions from one's Greek aunt or grandma and clearly point the reader in the direction of success.
Wasting no words, Alexiadou leads the reader through each step of preparation, and the estimates of preparation time are accurate. Excellent alternate ingredients and preparation techniques are included to give the reader a choice of traditional or updated approaches. Finally, the beautiful illustrations make presentation a breeze. We are completely satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, October 6, 2010
This review is from: Greek Cuisine (Hardcover)
This is a must have for both beginners and experienced cooks.
Vefa's recipes tend to never fail. Everything is described with clarity.No mystifications. I highly recommend it.

Greek Cuisine
Greek Cuisine by Vefa Alexiadou (Hardcover - May 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $12.25