Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Midas Touch (The New 52)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Of all the DC characters to get rebooted in the New 52, I kind of looked forward to seeing something new done with Green Arrow, especially with JT Krul at the helm. I've always liked Krul, regardless of whatever flack he's gotten over the past couple years, and I always dug his take on Green Arrow too. Sadly though, this new take on the character leaves a lot to be desired. It's just so unbelievably boring and banal. This new take on Ollie Queen finds him as not being a man of the people (yet) and instead as the head of Queen Industries. He takes on a group of sadistic, super-powered baddies, yadda-yadda-yadda. There just isn't a whole lot to admire here, ranging from the cruddy dialogue to the stiff looking artwork (that features George Perez on inks) to the new look of Green Arrow, which looks like the Justin Hartley-played version from Smallville. Call me old fashioned, but I kind of miss the Robin Hood look. Anyway, The Midas Touch is a disappointing new direction for Green Arrow, but hey, after this, there's really nowhere to really go but up...right? Let's hope so.
on June 25, 2012
I really enjoy Green Arrow. Mike Grell helped me learn all about Oliver Queen first in Long Bow Hunters and then in his 80 issue run on the title. Then, I enjoyed learning more about Oliver reading Green Arrow: Year One and then reading the Kevin Smith books. I next went back and got the Green Arrow/Green Lantern books from the 70's.

If you like ANY of these Green Arrow stories and the wonderful character of Oliver Queen that was developed in them, run run RUN away from Green Arrow: The Midas Touch as fast as you can.

The book has a younger Oliver Queen running around with a bunch of high-tech gadgets and his own li'l version of Oracle helping him out. In fact, he's got a whole team talking in his ear as he fights crime. And, he's fighting outlandish supervillians here.

Dinah/Black Canary is nowhere to be found. Green Arrow's facial hair is nowhere to be found. In fact, there's really nothing here that remotely resembles the Green Arrow that we all grew up with and enjoyed. Instead, we have a early 20's hip Green Arrow with a high-tech bow that folds up into a tiny little thing that fits in his hand. It's silly, it's goofy, and it's just not Green Arrow.

It makes me sad, because I really love most of the New 52 and I hate that this is the Oliver Queen that I have to deal with inhabitting the new DC Universe.

Honestly, if you've ever been a Green Arrow fan over the years, make sure to avoid this like the plague.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2012
The first half of this story had the potential to be really good stuff. The plot, poking as it does at celebutantes, and reality shows,, could have been relevant, intelligent, and action packed all in one. In practice, it shows little interest in anything but the action part of the equation, and it keeps the story fairly generic stuff. I mean seriously, we don't even have an old-fashioned moment of self doubt with Ollie realizing he might have something in common with these thrill-seeking rich kids(at least, I think they're supposed to be rich kids. The origins of these guys are really only mentioned in detail on the back cover description- another flaw in the writing).

Not that it really matters, because this set of bad guys is quickly wrapped up in favor of a mysterious pair of other crooks that have....well, some kind of connection to Ollie. Who knows? who cares? If the missed chances in the first half hadn't scared me off the book, the flat dud of the second would have.
on April 19, 2016
Not good at all. The writing is so "middle of the road", reading it is a chore. And the art is so dated and boring. Nothing about the story gets my attention, nothing about the art suits the character... both art and writing did each other a disservice by existing. If any of the two were any better, the book would have been easier to read but I am honestly so SHOCKED they made THIS comic along with the relaunch of the New 52. With other great books out there, it's a shame they treated Green Arrow like some terrible B-Lister not worthy of attention.

One of the biggest disappointments I've read in a long time.
on March 13, 2014
A hero is best defined by his villains. What would Batman be without the Joker? Or Superman with no Lex Luthor? So who are the villains that the Green Lantern takes on? Well, the first group is a super powered pack who biggest wish is to have the most views of their posted criminal videos. (They do criminal acts and record them, not pirate other people's videos.) Then he fights a robot and a walking toxic waste dump. Not the stuff of legends I am afraid. I get that Green Arrow is the "common man" of the superhero community. He deals with the bad guys that are "too small" for the likes of Superman. Still , he could have gone up against something better than wannabes with (maybe) superpowers.

The good. Plenty of action, decent artwork, and a good mix of gadget arrows to regular arrows. I liked the message that we need to put down our gadgets and do more.

The bad. It is really hard to show much action when fighting with a bow. It is either him drawing the bow or the results pretty much. Even worse was the bad guys fighting. It seemed all they could do was throw punches for the most part. Did they have powers, and what were they? More focus would have been nice. The whole playbook slacker in charge of a major corporation is getting to the point of being overdone. I know it has always been his cover, but do we really to focus on it so much? While I liked his message about doing more and that if it is trash, just turn it off, it also seemed a little preachy and hypocritical. I mean we are reading a comic book that focuses on a lot of fighting (and in my case on a kindle).

This was a nice collection to serve as a new starting point for Green Arrow or for long time fans. Could be better if he got a decent villain base.
on February 23, 2016
Let me start off by saying I'm brand new to reading comics. Reading this was my second experience in the new 52 line. I enjoy watching the arrow on the cw and have loved the green arrow in the justice league cartoons.
Reading this comic i like more the gadgets he has. I won't say anything about those cuz spoilers. This is a collection and I found the reading to be good. I liked the second half better and hope it can used in the show.
I finish by saying I'm going to look into the other heroes before getting another green arrow. It wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing
Even though I enjoy the character of Green Arrow, I can't say I've really been a big fan of Oliver Queen and his Green Arrow disguise. A lot of what I originally know and read of Green Lantern came from the 1970s team up of Green Arrow and Green Lantern as they traversed the good ole' U.S.A. bringing down criminals and starting a personal war on drugs. Despite not being as familiar with the character as I am with Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and Flash, I have always liked Green Arrow.

Like all of the DC characters, Green Arrow has gotten a complete reboot with the New 52. GREEN ARROW, VOL. 1: THE MIDAS TOUCH collects the first six issues of the new Green Arrow. At the start of the series, Green Arrow is already established as Oliver Queen's night time vigilante alter-ego. Stealing a page from the Christopher Nolan Batman movies, he's been fighting crime for a long time now and uses a division of his own company to research and fund his crime fighting. The first part of THE MIDAS TOUCH storyline has Queen facing off against a gang of street thugs who record all of their criminal activities and post them to cyberspace. They aren't all that difficult to fight, but the general premise is an interesting one. What begins as a subplot but then becomes the main focus of this volume is Green Arrow's confrontation between a decomposing monster of rotting flesh that calls himself Midas and his lady love, an assassin named Blood Rose who has a personal vendetta against Oliver Queen.

As far as comic stories go, GREEN ARROW, VOL. 1: THE MIDAS TOUCH is average. Queen/Green Arrow are likeable enough, but too much of his character seems copied from more updated versions of Batman. Green Arrow and Batman share somewhat similar backgrounds, but the characters are not alike. The similarities between Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Bruce Wayne/Batman are too many in this volume and take away from the overall character of Green Arrow. For instance, Green Arrow operates with his own version of Batman's Oracle. Oracle works for Batman because Batman is a detective. It really doesn't for Green Arrow because he's not first and foremost a detective.

The other thing I disliked about the storyline is that it really doesn't conclude. For example, it's never explained why Blood Rose wants revenge on Oliver Queen. There is no sense of resolution. I realize that monthly comics have usually been written that way, but it doesn't seem much sense to drag out a storyline beyond 6-8 issues anymore; readers (particularly younger readers) just don't have the patience for it.

I did like the new look of Queen in this series and I liked the hints of the Justice League, which Queen just learns of for the first time.

Longtime fans of Green Arrow will probably be disappointed by GREEN ARROW, VOL. 1: THE MIDAS TOUCH. New readers might enjoy it and even though there isn't anything all that extraordinary about the collection, there are enough tidbits to keep those newer readers interested in the further adventures of Green Arrow.
on June 19, 2016
Based on the negative reviews, I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised. I actually liked it. Maybe it's because I haven't read any other Green Arrow comics, so I'm not comparing it to the past. I enjoyed this for what it is.
on October 6, 2014
Green Arrow has exploded into the pop culture scene with as just much ferocity as Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye in 2012’s The Avengers. With the CW’s Arrow focusing on DC’s Emerald Archer and ebbing into its third season with the grace of a more seasoned series, fans are beginning to flock to conventions, charity events, and the comics in order to provide them with insight on one of DC Comics’ most in depth and rich characters.

With DC’s reboot of their entire universe in September of 2012 it marked an all-new start to most of the DC family, however, along with Batman and Green Lantern, Green Arrow was spared the agonizing growing pains and retained much of his prior continuity in spite of being rebranded as a jumping on point for new readers.

Instead of being a blessing, it was a misstep in disguise— Unlike Batman and Green Lantern, Green Arrow was just starting to gain traction and notoriety in the pop culture community, but his fan base was not (yet) strong enough to support a reboot without context. This misread of the market, unfortunately led to shaky steps for Green Arrow’s serial, resulting in a fledgling series from the get-go.

Green Arrow’s origin isn’t even touched upon in the opening pages of Dan Jurgens, J.T. Krul, and Keith Giffen's first ‘NEW 52’ volume of Green Arrow (subtitled, The Midas Touch), and many readers were left in the lurch because it relied too much on prior continuity. The transition was jarring, because the setting, supporting cast, and plot were all based upon older incarnations of the Emerald Archer, which provided confusion for potential fans.

Jurgens, Krul, and Giffen present Green Arrow in his ‘home-away-from-home’ in Seattle, WA, and continue his adventure by focusing on some of the offbeat, smaller villains of his past. The stereotypical, irresponsible, playboy attitude of Oliver Queen is ever-present, and this normally wouldn’t be an issue (no pun intended) because it plays into Green Arrow’s alter ego which of course draws public attention away from him. However, the character is never set on a path of growth or change which can make or break a character.

The character itself doesn’t have to go through a dramatic transformation, but the audience does need to believe that the character is chasing down some facet of himself to improve. If this omitted, oftentimes you get a disjointed tale (or series of tales) that are too shallow to hold an audience. Even if Green Arrow is the only one to change and Oliver Queen remains the ever present cliche, it doesn’t really matter, because at least the audience was privy to the change even when the rest of the cast wasn’t.

As a personal aside, I almost wish that the narrative would find its way back to Star City. Originally the purpose of moving to Seattle was to ground the book in a harsher, more-realistic reality in order to make the Green Arrow book grittier and darker, thus universal appealing. However, the current iteration of the book is nearly as light as it can be which forces the setting. If the narrative took a more macabre turn akin to Grell’s, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunter (which was the original causality for bringing Green Arrow to Seattle), or if the current creative team would consider moving the character back to Star City to help reestablish the lighter tone, it would strengthen the bonds of the book. In turn, I think that the art direction would aid tremendously in either fashion, because they would be able to link the plot to the art more effectively.

Art-wise, Dan Jurgens, Ignacio Calero, George Perez, Ray McCarthy do their best to mimic Jim Lee’s style (which is currently the DC Comics’ standard), but it comes off as forced because they are not adhering to their own. It makes for choppy artwork at times, which is disappointing, because all three of the aforementioned artists are stellar in their own right. That being said, the colors used for the setting are apropos. As a native Washingtonian, I was pleased with how Seattle was presented— It was believable and eye-catching.

Other than some mild disjointedness and the lack of cohesion, Green Arrow, Vol. 1: The Midas Touch is not the worst of the bunch, but nor is it the best. I would recommend borrowing this one or getting a digital copy on the cheap if you are a Green Arrow completionist, but for everyone else I would recommend holding off. For more coverage on DC’s NEW 52, the Emerald Archer, and all things comic book related check back here for more #ArrowWeek.

#ArrowWeek is a celebration of Green Arrow and DC Comics in all its numerous forms. Running from October 1st to the 8th of 2014, ARSchultz.com, The Martian, and their respective Tumblrs will be posting all things Green Arrow related for #ArrowWeek culminating with the season three premier of CW’s Arrow. Join us in our celebration by commenting and sharing as we post.
on September 16, 2015
Don't give up on Green Arrow because of this comic. It's not anything to write home about (although not as bad as many claim it to be - the next creative team is much worse). If you feel the need to not read this trade, skip ahead to "The Kill Machine" when Jeff Lemire starts writing and Andrea Sorrentino does the art. Those issues are masterful. It becomes VERY GOOD VERY FAST.