Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:27 Mins
This is my review and game play video of Green Day : Rock Band.

The video quality will be a bit low due to it having to fit in the 100Mb requirements here.

Background:
Published on June 11, 2010 by Geekdomo

First off, let me say that I'm a big fan of Harmonix, Rock Band, and Green Day. But I can't help but be miffed about this.

Published on August 12, 2010 by M. A. Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock Band 2, now with Green Day sanitized for YOUR protection!, August 12, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

As another reviewer has already said, where Beatles Rock Band was big, beautiful, and lovingly crafted, Green Day Rock Band feels slapdash and rushed out. I understand being locked into the real band characters, instruments, and venues...but do there have to be only three venues? There's even only one loading screen background for each transition, for heaven sakes! Lazy lazy lazy.

I love Green Day, which means I love the music on the disk, which is why I'm giving this four stars for fun. After all, it's cheaper than if they'd sold it as DLC, right? Might as well just pay the extra $10, add it to your RB2 library, and pretend the disk never existed.

But there's one other thing that really, REALLY sticks in my craw. You've made a real band Rockband title - an homage to the look and music of Green Day, and then you CENSOR the songs?!? That's outrageous! Take the mature rating already! At the very least, put some sort of parent controllable feature to switch between "clean" and "original" modes. Yes, I know this isn't the first time we've been stuck with clean versions, but those were single tracks, and sometimes they were clean versions put out by the band (i.e. Creep) rather than blanked out.

The early Green Day catalogue in particular is now full of mysterious blank spaces in the lyrics that damage the rhythm and vocal play experience. I'm not a "go profanity in music!" person, but I don't mind at all if it fits the music's theme and other lyrics rather than simply being used for shock value. I am very annoyed that I am being forced to play the FCC approved versions of the band's music in a product that's supposedly built from the ground up for the fans.

I'm an adult! Let ME make that choice...and if I wasn't an adult, my PARENTS should be making that choice.

Thanks for protecting me from those bad four letter words Harmonix...you really, really shouldn't have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game! Punks NOT dead ;) Full song game play video and review., June 11, 2010
Length:: 8:27 Mins

This is my review and game play video of Green Day : Rock Band.

Background:
I was into the punk scene back in the late 70's early 80's. The bands I grew up listening to all had a very tough time making any real money. Even the big ones like Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, Black Flag, all did pretty well but never were able to achieve any sort of real fame. Move ahead to the 90's and bands like Nirvana took some of the punk sound and changed it enough to become what we called Grunge. Those bands did well to get enough popularity to make it big on the college radios and eventually made it mainstream. It was not until Green Day came around did I hear what I enjoyed so much as a kid. By then I was an adult serving in the military over in the Gulf. It was really cool to hear those 3 chord progression riffs and wickedly fast drum beats that got my blood pumping.

Now I am a dad with 2 kids. I missed out on the real punk years and I guess I could be called a sell out poser or something. Instead, I think that I moved on, but my taste in music still has its roots in the old days of the Sx Pistols. Green Day adeptly captures this sound and because so many of us are now in our 40's we hear this sound on the radio.

As I was playing this game my mother was visiting for my daughters birthday. She watched me play it and commented on the fact she liked 4 of the songs. Thats pretty incredible considering when I was a kid, more mild music she said was awful and wouldn't listen at all...

About the game:

This game is very similar to what you saw (if you had it) of Playstation 3 The Beatles: Rock Band . You play different periods of time. You start in the early successful years of Green Day. About the time of Dookie. You can jump in each concert and play a few different songs from a couple of their early albums. Or you can jump ahead to their most recent release 21st Century Breakdown and play a 2009 concert. Each concert has a set list that you play through. As you get at least 3 stars you earn a sticker and can move on. The more songs you finish the more fan songs open up. What is cool is if you just like Green Day as a passing interest and know just 1 or 2 of their songs, you will probably find enough to play as a rental. If you are a deep fan, loving every song they have ever made, you can unlock almost all of them by finishing all sets and challenges.

Trophies:
The better you do the more stickers you can stick on Billy Joe's guitar. Also for hard core Rockband people you can do some really tough challenges to achieve trophies. Some are pretty easy like playing 10 songs at 3 stars or more, or, you can go and play left handed and score 100% on 5 songs in a row. There are like 300 different trophies from what I have seen and I have only unlocked 2 of them. So there is a bunch of replay-ability.

Rockband:
Like other real band titles you cannot change the look of your character. Instead you play as one of the real members of the band. They are stylized and pretty accurate models of the members of the band. If you have ever played a rock band game you will feel right at home here with this title. I do recommend doing the calibration right off the bat. I thought I would be ok and it took only 2 songs of me missing 95% of the buttons for me to see it needed to be calibrated. Manual calibration was pretty easy and there is an auto mode if you have a controller equipped with that.

Overall:
I really like this release from Harmonix. I was in a punk garage band with my friends back in the 1980s. We wanted to be big time. Alas it never worked out, but, with games like this I can at least pretend. That is what gaming is all about. Its a way to leave reality and be something you are not, and probably will never be. Thats cool.

Recommendations.
Hook your PS3 output up to a large amp receiver or system and turn it up to 11.

Thanks for reading / watching my review.e shredding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing when compared to RB2 or Beatles RB, June 18, 2010
Amazon Customer (Friendswood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Green Day Rockband is great as a track pack for Green Day fans. As a standalone game, it is mediocre when compared to any of the other Rock Band games.

There is no customization for costumes, instruments, or venues like in RB1-2 or L:RB. Beatles RB didn't have this either, but compensated with the absolutely beautiful music video style visuals and variety of venues. Here you get neither. There are only three venues which show the standard Rock Band style visuals with a Green Day skin. The new motion capture technique used in the game looks awesome and authentic... until you notice that they use the same animations for every other song.

Completing songs unlocks photos, but there is no way to zoom-in and pan around them, nor is there any form of caption. There are also challenges that unlock music videos and rare footage, but only the biggest fans are going to sit and watch it. Anyone else would be better off getting a copy of Bullet in a Bible on DVD.

It really is NOTHING compared to what they did for the Beatles, which is both understandable and sad. If they were charging $40 for this, that would be OK. But it seems as if they rushed it out the door because they didn't want to have an RB2 engine game on the shelf with RB3.

If you're a HUGE Green Day fan, you've already got your copy. If not... pick it up in a bargain bin in a few months so you can export it into RB3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Do Justice to Green Day, October 1, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Owing all other installments to the Rock Band series, I was really not sure why Harmonix was releasing a Rock Band solely dedicated to Green Day. Having played the game, I can say that I completely understand now why there is a Green Day Rock Band, but the game itself isn't what I would have expected from Harmonix.

Pros:
1. Green Day music. If you weren't a fan before or weren't familiar enough with their music to call yourself a fan, this game gives you a greater appreciation and respect for a well-deserving band.
2. Gameplay: The difficulty doesn't appear to be modified to be easier like in the Beatles Rock Band so you'll have a more authentic Rock Band experience.
3. Three-part harmonies: Always fun to include more people in the vocal gameplay.

Cons:
1. The graphics and overall appearance: The characters seems a bit awkward in appearance. Even the Rock Band characters look more well put together than the graphical members of Green Day. The game itself isn't very visually appealing at all. Every "dreamscape" is 1 of 3 or 4 Green Day concerts. It's hardly creative or interesting to look at.
2. Three-part harmony set-up: I understand that the game is meant to be darker, but the three part harmony vocals especially are really difficult to see. Because all the colors are so similar (with the exception of lead being in blue), it's hard to tell whether harmony 2 is singing alone or with harmony 3. Also, the icons are so dark in color and look very similar so it's difficult to tell if you are hitting your harmony or someone else's.
3. Scenes: As mentioned before, the game takes place in basically 3 or 4 places and they are all concerts. There are very few videos that stand out as being visually interesting. Otherwise, the band is pretty much doing the same thing in every song.

Perhaps it is unfair to expect that Green Day Rock Band would have been anything like The Beatles Rock Band, but I certainly think this game could have been much better. The one thing I took away from this game is how great a band Green Day really is and Green Day does deserve a better game. The game looks like it was rushed into production and release and the fact that it actually LOOKS that way isn't a good thing.

The game is still worth having as part of your Rock Band library but not for $60. I highly suggest waiting for a price drop before purchasing the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
If you like Green Day and Rock Band, you'll love this game. It has all the favorites and full albums. I played it obsessively!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GAME, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I`D LIKE TO PLAY WITH GREEN DAY, AND THIS GAME IS GREAT TO FEEL THAT YOU ARE IN THE BAND, GOOD SONGS CAN YOU PLAY WITH BJ, TRE, AND MIKE. IS YOU ARE A FAN OF GREEN DAY, YOU MUST ENJOY A LOT THIS GREAT GAME

4.0 out of 5 stars Green Day fun for Green Day fans, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I am a huge fan of Green Day, and when I found out they were making a Green Day: Rock Band, I went out and pre-ordered it. It features all the music of American Idiot, Dookie, and 21st Century Breakdown (excluding dlc). It also features select songs from Nimrod, Insomniac, and Warning.

PROS:
>All the songs from Green Day's major records
>Ability to export the disc's songs to Rock Band 1 and 2
>Singing is really fun to play, especially if you know the lyrics, then you can play guitar or whatnot
>Includes three-part vocal harmonies, meaning up to three people can sing
>Drums are also really fun to play, Tre is an amazing drummer
>Drum trainer to help you through all the crazy drum patterns
>Collect photos and never released footage of the band
>You can follow through the career of Green Day to date

CONS:
>Green Day is a punk rock band, and as with most punk rock bands, the main way to play guitar is to down-strum really fast, so there isn't much variety for guitar, besides playing chords over and over again
>Most of the bass guitar is also down-strumming, single notes. This also makes bass lack variety. The saving feature is the bass from Dookie, a lot of variety there
>Only 47 songs are on the disc, which is actually 44, because some songs are combined (Brainstew/Jaded, Are We The Waiting/St. Jimmy, Give Me Novacaine/She's A Rebel.) This wouldn't be so bad, but now to play "St. Jimmy", you have to play through the very slow/boring "Are We The Waiting." Why couldn't they have combined "Song Of The Century" with 21st Century Breakdown? Now you have "Song Of The Century" by itself, which features no instrumental play at all
>Only three venues, so there's not much variety in the background animation video
>You've probably seen most of the collectible pictures
>No one plays online
>Each background animation video is supposed to be unique, but there are a few repeated scenes for different songs
>Sometimes the music is not timed perfectly with the background animation, thus, Billie Joe/Mike Dirnt/Tre Cool is sometimes strumming/drumming out of time
>It charges you [...] to export the songs

Despite the flaws, this is a great game. If you like Green Day, and Rock Band, you'll like Green Day: Rock Band. Besides if you don't want to get Green Day: Rock Band, there's Rock Band 3 right around the corner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Paradise, January 8, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Green Day Rockband comes from those folks over there at Harmonix studios, the dudes behind all music games really... The game stands as a solid entry in the series. It plays like most other rock band games, and to be honest there isnt much new from a gaming perspective. However if you are a Green Day loving punk freak like me, you will get a solid kick out of this game. The charcter models and the stage set ups look and feel very awesome as we track Green Day's quick rise from the underground to the dizzying hieghts of mainstream greatness. The song list is pretty good covering from Dookie to their latest album 21st Century Breakdown. That said I would have liked to have seen a little more Nimrod... The game feature the complete albums for both Dookie and American Idiot which was awesome to atempt to play through the whole album in one sitting. Sadly there isnt a great deal I feel I can write about a rythem game. If you like Green Day and play games, get it. If you are not a big Green Day fan, but just want more songs to play, get it. If you hate Green Day, then get lost!

Gameplay- 3 out of 5
Songs List- 4 out of 5
Fun Factor- 3 out of 5
Overall- 4 out of 5 (Green Day Fan) 3 out of 5(non fan)

5.0 out of 5 stars rock band rocks, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
i started playing music games with harmonix's "guitar hero" i stuck around with hero until the release of rock band. years later, skills are high, shred level extreme, and green day has its own game. this game is everything you love about rock band with the focus on this bay area band. i bought the beatles rock band only for the novelty, but this one is about the music.

listen, if you like rock band, and you like green day this one will please both worlds

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT GAME!, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The game is really great as well as the band! I just knew the newer stuff before I bought the game but now I have heard the Dookie material I like the group even better. i ordered the beatles premium edition with the drums and everything but it hasn't arrived so i just had the microphone and even just with the singing the game is really fun i can't wait to play the game with the full band!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3
Green Day: Rock Band - Playstation 3 by MTV Games (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $16.49