5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my NAS
Published on July 27, 2011 by Lawrence

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: A bad model packed in a in a "right" labeled box
I have the same problem with Amazon. Probably it is not Amzon's fault. It looks like errors of WD hard drive labeling.

I bought this model:
2TB WD SATA II hard drive with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty, Model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN.

Amazon sent me:
2TB WD SATA III hard drive with 64MB Cash and 2 year warranty, Model WD20EARX...
Published 23 months ago by Leonid Quoshek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my NAS, July 27, 2011
This review is from: WD Green Desktop 3TB SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive Retail Kit (Personal Computers)
I purchased two of these Green 3TB drives for my NAS device, which is a 6-slot ReadyNAS Pro from Netgear. I removed two 1TB Seagate ES drives and just inserted these 3TB new drives. Automatically recognized and provisioned, everything was smooth. My volume was expanded and I didn't notice any problem. Drive temperature is lower than Seagate ES series by 5 to 7° average. Great drives, outstanding price point. I recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: A bad model packed in a in a "right" labeled box, November 15, 2012

I bought this model:

Amazon sent me:
2TB WD SATA III hard drive with 64MB Cash and 2 year warranty, Model WD20EARX.

Although it looks better than my order, in reality the model WD20EARX has a very bad rate. For instance - look at newegg.com

BTW: UPS Code and S/N on the box label and on the hard drive are the same but model numbers are different and the label looks like a fake. I asked Amazon to replace HD but I am not sure if they have the model I bought.

Updated 11/28/2012:

As I wrote in my initial post, I asked Amazon to replace HD. A few days ago I received the same wrong model WD20EARX in the same right box WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN. I send all detailed info to Amazon and believe they will do something. Sorry, I don't have time to fight with Amazon and/or WD.

After some online investigation I found that WD canceled the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN aka WD20EADS (2TB WD SATA II with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty), probably because they payed a lot of warranty money by reason of: their drives rarely worked for 3 years.

A few people write that the model WD20EARX can be used instead of the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN, but it is not my case. SATA III WD20EARX model does not work with my SATA II controller. Any WD recommendations about speed decreasing and any jumper settings don't work too. I bough an eSATA enclosure which works with the model WD20EARX I received, and began to use HD with the enclosure. I hope it will work at least 2 years...

5.0 out of 5 stars "Retail" vs. OEM, June 5, 2011
This was a "retail" packaged hard drive purchased for a new computer build. It was shipped in a timely fashion and arrived on regular UPS schedule. It has been a long time since I bought a "retail" hard drive and find it to be no different than an OEM, that is, no cables, no accessories, no utilities. The price was good so nothing lost, just surprised that "retail" apparently is no different than OEM, except possibly the wrapper. The drive itself is quiet and works. Can't ask for more. Ownership less than one month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Your Drivers for the 3 TB Size, January 5, 2013
JA (Southest USA) - See all my reviews
The 3TB hard drive has proven to be very adequate as a back up drive but I initially almost sent it back because it showed only 746 GBytes capacity in a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I called the manufacturer on 3 January 2013 to ask what was going on but Western Digital first told no-one else had reported such a problem and then, after persisting, that changing the format from MBR to GPT would fix it. But changing format made practically no difference by itself - it actually reduced the drive size by a couple hundred KB. So much for WD's help desk. But a quick internet search showed many instances of the same problem - some reported even on WD's own website. But WD's website never came out with a specific solution. As the computer (Dell E6510 Latitude notebook) had an Intel chipset, a quick visit to the Intel website and a quick scan of its diagnostic tool showed me a new driver available to accommodate hard drives over 2 TB. Installation of the new driver and then a reboot fixed the problem. Note that was the Intel web site, not the Dell web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive, May 8, 2011
I got this and installed it into a 6 year old Dell 8400 running XP SP3. I already had the latest BIOS. This drive was recognized just fine by the BIOS and by XP. It has been running just fine as my primary; quiet and fast. I didn't read the label before putting it in, but can state that SiSoft Sandra, my benchmarking utility, reads it as a 7200 rpm drive with a 32 MB cache. Perhaps the previous reviewer received a mis-labeled drive. Excellent value for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Performance and Value in hard drives, September 10, 2011
We build computers from the components up, and have done this since the old 286 processor. There has never been a better time to buy computer parts. We have purchased and installed several of these 500 gb Western Digital Green hard drives. Retail at Best Buy we found them at $44.95, with the average price around $50. At that price, you can forget 250gb. If you go up to the terabyte hard drives you will find that they run slow, and often are loaded with long term life issues. The green Western Digital is quick, safe, stable. At under $50 we don't think you could do better. You can pay a little more and get a 750gb version. But for computer builds putting two green 500gb hard drives has an advantage of giving you a place to put your data on a D:\ drive while the operating system and windows files reside on the C:\ hard drive. If you ever have to rebuild, or reformat, your data will be safe on the second drive from the reformat, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive!, December 9, 2011
These drives are excellent. For those having difficulty recognizing more than 2TB of the drive, you need to set the drive up with a GUID(GPT) partition instead of a MBR partition in system administrator. The rest is simple. Drive is fast, quiet and reliable. I have 6 of them. All are being run in Win 7 Ultimate without any issues!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed With Green Drives, January 6, 2013
I will not buy any other brand of hard drive. I have in excess of 20 hard drives that I have bought over the past 15 years. All of them are Western Digital. Even the 10.1gb drive that was my first, 15 years ago, is still working.

I have bought 4 of these "green" drives over the last two years and one of them is already dead. I didn't even use it regularly. It was just used for backup and to store files to be moved from one drive to another.

These 5400rpm drives are worse than going out and buying a black and white TV. And worse than that, my 12-15 year old 5200rpm drives still work, even after using them constantly to run my computer over the years. These green drives are slow to access and move data but are fast to go to "sleep", even in the middle of trying to defrag them. I had to leave an audio file playing over and over in a loop just to keep it from going to sleep in the middle of a defrag.

Sure they run cooler but at a very high price. Life expectancy is much more important than cool to me. I would much rather suck up a whole 5 watts of power and have my computer working properly than to be "green" and have worthless machine. The day I cannot afford to spend 20 cents a month to run a decent hard drive, I will throw my computer away. I don't live in 1999 anymore and I don't want a computer that functions like I do. If you do, this is the drive for you.

I will not buy anymore of these at any price. The 7200rpm drives are only a few dollars more than these anyway. No more data loss for me. I am sticking with the better drives from now on.

By the way I do have and highly recommend the My Book Studio II drives. They are also called green drives but they are 7200rpm. They work great and function exactly like any other 7200rpm Western Digital drive. None of the problems that I have had with these 5200rpm drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with HP x310 after tedious initial setup, December 3, 2011
The intel Raid drivers has to be intalled to get this working on my windows home server(HP x310). So far no issues. I get an average 80MB/s read and 40MB/s write and I am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Caviar Green 2 TB Retail Kit ---GREAT HDD-BUY IT, April 8, 2012
I bought this 2TB drive from the WD Online Store to replace a WD 1.5 TB Green that was in my Gateway DX4350 UR21P. I bought this as a primary drive replacement while the 1.5 was in for exchange. Used the Acronis software provided by Western Digital (support-download section)to clone and copy to the new drive (flawless transfer). I guess it depends when your new WD 2TB was made, but mine came with a 64mb cache. All-in-all, I love it. Quiet. plenty fast, lots of room. Very well packed from WD. And a Plus--delivered by UPS free.
My 1.5 came back from Gateway, which I now use as a second logical drive for data(photos, doc's, music etc...)Resulting in 3.5 TB total storage. So..I ordered a WD 2TB My Book (due in 2 days) to run automatic backups on. Set for life? Probably. Oh yes..WD gave me 20% off on the "MY Book" because it was my second order :)
Highly reccommended WD for all your HD needs.

$219.99 $119.99