Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 17, 1998
As a certified elementary school teacher and practicing preschool teacher (3-year-olds), I highly recommend this book! There isn't a day when I don't hear "Ms. Molly, read 'Sam-I-Am!'" My poor copy of "Green Eggs and Ham" is tattered, torn, missing pages and is in the process of losing its cover! When I read it, the children follow along and are able to recall the rhyming words when I intentionally skip them (a skill which usually surfaces at a later age.)
When we have free time in the classroom, there is a mad dash to the bookshelf to fetch "Green Eggs and Ham." I sit out of sight while the children quietly sit down with "Green Eggs and Ham" and watch them turn the pages and "read" the story. They know what lines belong to which page by "reading" the pictures. This is one of the earliest and most positive signs of reading readiness. Of course the children aren't "reading" the words, but they are becoming aware of letters as symbols for sounds. I often hear them mimicking my many interpretations of the book (some of which get quite enthusiastic!) and other children gather round the "reader" to hear the story, sometimes helping out! The benefits they are reaping from this story alone marks the beginning of an enjoyable journey through the many facets of language development (reading, comprehension, phonics, rhyming, speaking, listening, and interpretation.)
Not only is the book full of fun phrases, fantasic illustrations, lively characters and poignant messages, but also is a great tool for learning about the initial processes of reading and recognizing written language. In later years, "Green Eggs and Ham" and other books as endearing (whether the children will realize it or not) may lead to a love of books and reading which may help them succeed in school.
I have no doubt that my students will forget who "Ms. Molly" is in their teenage years and beyond, but they will ALWAYS hold in their hea! rts a special memory that is "Green Eggs and Ham."
77 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I would not eat Green Eggs and Ham
I would though read it, oh yes maam
For in this tale of silly food
There is no doubt fulfilling good
Who wouldn't find it appetising?
Who could read it realising
That things aren't always what they seem
Life can sometimes be a dream
And in that dream a wonder starts
That really strives to touch our hearts
with such a simple verse and tale
One could hardly think to fail
The premise here is most absurd
Using the most simple word
And no complex sentence structure
No moralistic high brow lecture
Just a simple tale of love
Hidden low and up above
And permeates on every page
To reach the souls of every age
Happy birthday to you this day
May you have your eggs your way
In heaven as we read below
The pleasing tale of eggs aglow
With some weird dye, an Irish egg?
I've had green beer, was it a keg?
But this should be a family verse
and green beer does become too terse
So now, dear friend, go buy the book
Open it up and take a look
You'll never be sorry, you'll never frown
This short tale won't let you down
And may you be just who you are
We're all Sam, both near and far
But we're ourselves, and this is true
This book was meant for me and you.
If Dr. Seuss is best known as the author of 'The Cat in the Hat', this text is a very close second. Its simple rhyme scheme and vocabulary is a perfect exemplar of Seussian construction, making it delightful for both children and adults. The vocabulary expands from that of 'The Cat in the Hat', making this almost a stealth-educational tool -- stealth in that children don't realise they're learning, and often adults don't realise that the playful use of language is educational.
This is a must for every child's library. They needn't be named Sam.
on September 27, 2001
This book has been around for such a very long time and it is still going strong. I can remember reading this book to my eldest daughter when she was three or four years old, and the book was read to her so many times that she could eventually repeat back every word to me. My daughter is now 36 years old and her daughter is 12. Both can still recite all the words without the book. Over the years, the catchy words will forever remain with you.
Aside from the simple words, the book portrays a very important message - do not be afraid to try new things. As a parent and counsellor, I can attest to the fact that message can be one of life's greatest learning experiences not only for children but for adults as well. We never know what we can accomplish or what we can achieve until we try. In addition, some things are not always what they seem. If you have never read a Dr. Seuss book, you have no idea of what you or your children are missing. Of all the Seuss books, this is an all-time favourite.
on September 11, 1998
We all crave simplicity. And as a book, "Green Eggs and Ham" is about as simple as you can get. But oh, the things we can learn from it. Obviously, keeping an open mind and not dismissing without trying is a lesson. But also, there's imagination, and fun while learning. Who can read aloud, "Would you? Could you? In a car? Eat them! Eat them! Here they are." and not enjoy it? And how many adult readers can look at this, and say it made no impression in my life whatsoever? Don't forget, childrens books are important literature too!
on November 23, 1999
This book isn't just for kids, l bought it to relive childhood memories and they came flooding back. This is my all time favourite book, it went everywhere with me as a little girl and now l can share it with my Grandchildren. Dr.Seuss introduced me to the world of books, a love that has grown throughout my life thanks to his books.
on February 23, 2016
I've been reading Dr Seuss books since I was a small child. Here I am at 29 reading the very same books to my own child, now 5. She loves them as much as I did... still do lol
They are fun to read, fun to hear and they really bring out a lot of imagination! Kids love reading and listening to these silly "tongue-twisting" books! I'm not alone in my high recommendation!
Green Eggs & Ham I'd simply delightful :) This book came as a specific request from my 5 yr old girl, who has been awaiting it's arrival anxiously.... a whole 2 days is like a year to kids lol and today it came... we opened it and read it immediately... four times lol
These books make kids WANT to read! & thst, in my opinion, is the best part!

This book was delivered through prime and cost was low. Thumbs up all around, and a must-have for any kids bookcase :)
Ps... 2 pics posted... 2nd is blurry, but the book is not lol just a bad shot
review image review image
on April 27, 2016
This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book- it's a classic not only about trying new things but also about persistence. "Sam I Am" works hard to persuade the unnamed narrator to step out of his comfort zone and try 'green eggs and ham'. In the end, after being offered the dish in any and all situations and resisting every time, he finally gives in to Sam's suggestion and loves the dish! To drive the point home even more, the narrator is actually appreciative of Sam I Am's harassment to get him to try green eggs and ham, and thanks him profusely. I purchased this book for a friend's baby shower whose theme is "Baby, Bows, & Books", and the objective is to help build the baby's library and encourage reading from birth. A child's library just is not complete without some Dr. Seuss, and this classic fits the bill perfectly. I can remember reading this book over and over again, well into elementary school and I actually performed a reading of it for a talent show once. My order arrived promptly and was packaged appropriately.
on October 8, 2009
We love this classic story. This particular edition of it, though, was not produced very well. Many of the flaps were glued down during production, so when we first read through it, lifting the flaps would cause a lot of tearing. We can't read many of the words because of that. Also, the story was changed from the original. Some parts were cut out so that the text would fit within the design of the flaps and pictures. Our kids seem to like it despite these shortcomings. I would recommend getting the normal edition.
on March 5, 2016
Green Eggs and Ham has always been one of my all time favorite books. My copy was getting worn since it was mine as child. I am a cerfified elementary school teacher that is right now teaching preschool with a great class of three year olds. We were celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday and we could not have a celebration without having Green Eggs and Ham. The children absolutely loved the book. They learned the phrases that were repeated and would start repeating them with me. I loved watching them learn thru reading. It is amazing what 3 year olds can learn if you give them the opportunity. The Cd was great as well. I have it playing during play time and they will stop and listen and repeat the parts they know while playing. You know you have a great book when they stop playing to interact with it. I am very pleased I bought this book. I will be able to use it yaear after year.
on September 18, 2005
Growing up this was my favorite book not only because my name is sam and I have always been called Sam-I-Am, but because of the enjoyment I have always gotten from this book. Sam-I-Am only wanted his freind to try some green eggs and ham, but because of the way they looked he wouldn't eat them anywhere or with anything. Once he finally tried them he realized that Sam was right, they were great and he would now eat them anywhere and with anything or anyone. Dr. Seuss is a great author and I have enjoyed all of his books, but Green eggs and ham is by far my favorite one to read. I have read it to my nephew several times and he enjoys it also.

Dr. Seuss like many authors had some ups and downs with his books, but in the end has many books out there that both young and old get to enjoy and I appreciate all the work he has done.