5.0 out of 5 stars Ah-mazing!
Published on February 9, 2012 by Amanda Welling

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what to say
Published 7 months ago by S. Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah-mazing!, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Green Heart (Paperback)
First Impressions: Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite writers out today. Her books are always so simple, yet extremely beautiful on so many levels. I usually hate short novels, so I was a little hesitant to pick up Green Heart since it is under 300 pages long and includes two previously published novels, Green Angel and Green Witch. Since this was written by Alice, I had to get it to review. I'm actually surprised I didn't already own these two books already since I am pretty sure I have all of the other novels this author has written.

First 50 Pages: I'm going to do this review a little differently than my other reviews because the book is broken up into two separate stories. I'll post some of my thoughts about each. However, I want to take this space and say that I love how the author writes. Her style of writing is so lyrical, simple, and heart-wrenching. She has an amazing gift with words and Green Heart is especially poetic. This may turn some people off, but I devour it up. It's very unique and different in a good kind of way.

Green Angel: This story follows Green, a girl out to turn sixteen, who is very shy and very close to her family. They live outside of a big city in a cottage far into the woods and are surrounded by their lush gardens, which also double as their livelihood. Green's family sells what they grow in their garden in the city, and one fateful day while Green is at home while the rest of the family is selling their goods, disaster strikes. Green's entire family is consumed in the wild fires and everything Green knows and loves is almost completely destroyed, along with her entire village. So many people lost their lives, their homes, just everything. Green feels the loss of her sister the most since they were especially close to one another, and she becomes consumed with guilt, regret, and falls into a state of despair.

Green Angel follows Green as she goes through her own stages of loss and begins to find herself again. I loved this character! She changes and grows so much throughout the story and she is a very likable character. As she learns how to survive with everything destroyed, including her gardens, she meets people along the way to help her out, and she even falls in love with another survivor, Diamond. There is very little romance between these two characters, but it is special in its own way. Unfortunately, Diamond has to leave to search for his mother, and Green is once again left alone but so much stronger then she was before. Diamond left Green a parting gift: he showed Green that her garden can indeed grow again, that it can heal, and so can her heart.

This book ended rather abruptly and I was so glad that I had Green Witch to go through next. It felt like half of the story was missing and I had a lot of unanswered questions.

Green Witch: This story picks up not too long after where Green Angel left off. In this book we get to see a completely transformed Green who isn't as consumed with grief and is really becoming whole in spirit. She is strong and capable and learns to take risks for the people she loves and cares about.

Green Witch answers the questions I was dying to find out. In the first book, it is never explained exactly what the big disaster was that ruined everything. It was hinted around that it was some kind of terrorist attack, but it didn't go into any detail. In Green Witch, we find out that everything had been destroyed by people called Horde, a group that hates everything to do with modern inventions and would like to see things brought back to older times. They really do not like how women are no longer forced into being simple house wives. Ugh!

All of the confusion, loss, and devastation lead some people to believe in witches and track down people who are perceived as such, kind of like what happened back in the Middle Ages. As Green tries to reconnect with people in her town and other survivors, she speaks to four neighbors at other people believe are witches. These four people push the story along and lead Green on her quest for self-fulfillment and give her answers to her most burning questions. This then leads Green to try to help free prisoners who are being held captive in the Horde's prison and in her search for Diamond, the boy who carries the other half of her heart.

Final Thoughts: I hated when I read the last few pages of this because I didn't want the story to end. I highly recommend reading Green Heart! I wasn't disappointed with either story at all. It included everything I have come to expect from Alice Hoffman and so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never disappointed, February 21, 2013
Gagariffec (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
Alice Hoffman was introduced to me by my daughter. I have loved her since. This book spoke to me through unimaginable circumstances about grief, recovery, joy in simplicity, and living the future in the present. This was imaginative and Alice has always been a master of language tale weaving. Another great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice Hoffman is the best, May 4, 2012
Sorrel (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
This is my new favorite by Alice Hoffman. Although she deals with themes that are familiar if you have read her other work, she really is a master at depicting love, loss, and moving on. A note to those who are Hoffmann fans: there is much more magic in this magical realism and it reads more like an old fable or fairytale than anything else by her. The fairytale structure however, does not leave it feeling "old" or trite, it is more like comfort food for your brain. To me, it seemed like a story about 9/11 and the aftermath if 9/11 had happened "once upon a time." Despite the magic nature of the characters, they all seemed so real that I feel like I want to check back on them in a while to see what they have been up to. I hope this review makes some sense; it's hard to characterize something so profoundly beautiful. All I can really say is Green Heart gave me a happy heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
Alice Hoffman is a master storyteller with interesting, unique narrative lines designed to capture the imagination. She takes on difficult topics, such as in Green Heart, which deals with children's stories that seem to grow out of 9-11. Her beautiful language and imagery bring up painful memories as well as empowering approaches for healing. Art of any type helps in healing. Thank you to Alice Hoffman for more remarkable books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, NO GREAT BOOK, June 7, 2013
This review is from: Green Heart (Paperback)
I love this series. I am a grown woman who loves Alice Hoffmans writing style.. and these books are a great series I highly recommend them to any age woman!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful story of loss, love, and hope! I recommend it without any reservations! Green is a strong and caring woman that perseveres when the worst has happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars a thought provoking read, May 10, 2013
Lisa (Canton, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors in the magic realism genre. This book has excellent character development. The descriptions are beautiful, the situation thought-provoking. I love that in a difficult time every can band together. Thank you for a beautiful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is classic alice hoffman!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, a clever wander through humanity and loss with touch of humor throughout.It resonates with sentiments and events of 9/11 without saying so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoffman spins her magic again, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Green Heart (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed all of Alice Hoffman's books, but this is the most recent one I read. I loved it. It was all at once touching, sad, magical, and endearing. I recently saw it at the library in the teen section. I had no idea that it wasn't written for adults, but the knowledge makes me want to encourage every teenager I know to read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what to say, June 8, 2014
This review is from: Green Heart (Paperback)
If you're looking for a read like Hoffman's Practical Magic, The Red Garden or Blackbird House - keep on looking. I thought I enjoyed this author and decided to venture into more reads -- "Green Heart" left me shaking my head and wondering what happened to her!! Hidden deep within the elementary prose was a very good thought that was truly boring to read. I don't know what to say, I was bored with it.

Green Heart
Green Heart by Alice Hoffman (Paperback - January 1, 2012)
$9.99 $8.16