5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art
Published on April 13, 2012 by Kyle Shultz

3.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year old son likes it.
It's pretty well made and acted. Not cheesy at all. From what I can tell, it has a lot of the original storylines & characters. I think there are a lot better comic book hero cartoons out there but, like I said, my son likes it quite a bit.
Published 19 months ago by Bob Loblaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for young kids but pretty good for us big kids, April 21, 2012
While I am not a huge fan of the computer-generated animated (I have heard it called clunky and I agree - reminds me of claymation), the writing is pretty good. Hal Jordan is a jerk, but that is what he is in the comics. The only thing is, and this regards marketing of GL animated, there is death and a lot of violence. Not for kids 5 years old and younger, probably ok for a 7 or 8 year old. But some episodes have lots and lots of fighting and shooting and usually death is alluded to or mentioned if not shown outright (like in the pilot).

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art, April 13, 2012
Don't be driven away from this show by the botched 2011 adaptation of Green Lantern to the silver screen - the two entities are worlds apart. What we have in "Green Lantern: TAS" is a beautifully realized space adventure story which is deftly meshing over time with the engaging mythology found in the original GL comic books. The producers have made the smart decision of distancing Hal Jordan and his right-hand man Kilowog from Earth and placing them in combat with an enemy less familiar than the villainous Sinestro. The show follows their gradually expanding war against the Red Lanterns alongside new, intriguing characters with well-developed personalities and motivations. The animation deserves applause as well, aiming for the crisp and pleasing style of Pixar's "The Incredibles" without appearing completely cartoonish. Both long-time Green Lantern fans and newcomers to the Corps will easily find something they like in this series. Viewer age makes no difference as well - the show is family-friendly without being juvenile or overly violent. I believe "Green Lantern" will one day be remembered alongside classics such as "Batman: The Animated Series" (which, like "Green Lantern", was produced by Bruce Timm).

5.0 out of 5 stars Let There Be Light!, March 8, 2012
When I heard that Bruce Timm was going to be producing a Green Lantern animated show I just about died I was so happy. After the announcements and eventual release of the live-action film that let so many fans and moviegoers down, I was ready for the dose of superhero storytelling that only Timm can deliver. That all came to a screeching halt when I found out the show was done with CGI. I kept telling myself that there was no way it would be as good as other shows in the Warner Bros. animation arsenal.

I was wrong.

This show is everything I could want in a Green Lantern television series. It has an original premise and rewrites some of the continuity of the comic book, but all of Timm's series took an original direction. I'm welcome to rewriting some of the history in order to make it fit better on another medium. I just think that the movie turned many fans away from it. I'm welcome to the changes that were made because the story was incredibly fun and really engaging.

The basic premise is that Hal Jordan and fellow Green Lantern Kilowog hijack a prototype spaceship in order to patrol the deep frontier zone of space. A group of Lantern killers are on the loose and might be more of a threat than the Guardians of the Universe are leading on. As Jordan and Kilowog investigate the mystery, they find a new enemy that no one was expecting -- the Red Lanterns!

This show does everything extremely well, and it gets the characters, tone, and energy right off the bat. I felt like I was watching a Green Lantern story that had deep thought put into it and a thorough understanding of what it means to be a Green Lantern and a hero. In fact I was surprised at how dark and mature the pilot was. Within the first episode we have deaths, strong motivation, and not once does the show play to the lowest common denominator. We skip the origin story and get straight to the action with Hal Jordan and the other Corps members. It also helps that the voice cast, led by Josh Keaton (Hal Jordan), all seemed like they had done their research and really knew how to speak through these iconic characters.

I'm a huge traditionalist when it comes to animation. I'm usually 2D or nothing. But this 3D animation really made the ring constructs pop and gave the designs that 1950's and 60's feel that fits the science fiction aspect of Green Lantern perfectly. I'm giving the pilot a strong 4.5/5 for really impressing me. You can bet that I'll continue to watch it and see how they develop these characters in a new environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgy, dark, smart, and fun. Perfect for kids and adults, March 19, 2012
I am a big GL fan, from comics to TV to the film. Justice League animated series gave my generation John Stewart, a man who was brought up in a poor and unsafe environment who was chosen to wield the power of the Green Lantern Corps ring. He was a dark and serious role, like Batman, in the series. In my opinion, he was the most human out of the League. He was stern and always trying to do everything he could to end any threat to the team or wherever was threatened. Unlike Batman, who fights for justice, and Superman, who loses his ideals many times throughout the series, Joh Stewart focused on thinking smart and for the light. Even though John Stewart was a darker character, he always fought for the people.
Now on to this series, we have Hal Jordan and Kilowog. Two members of the Green Lantern Corps. Now the difference in Hal and John are that Hal is very playful and was the man who had a lot going for him (ie. a fighter pilot with the beautiful girl and was thrilled to be a member of GL Corps, not because of it being an honor, but because he knows it is cool), and John, whom like I mentioned before, had a dark past and fought for everyone to make sure they didn't have to deal with evil and pain.
This show is very funny and light-hearted in story as a whole and humor than Just League, however in the 3 episodes that have aired, they have addressed some really dark issues. These issues include: death, torture, pain, revenge, and hate. These things in kids television are hard to come across these past couple of years. This show addresses them in a very serious way, but not too serious for young kids. It is brilliantly targeted to older children to adults, so your toddlers are ok to watch this show. There are a lot of bright colors, Hal and Kilowog do cool things with the rings, and it is really cartoonish. But when these kids grow, they can view this show and plot in a different way and see how brilliant it is.
It has only been 3 episodes and I am hooked. Just like "Young Justice" and the soon to air "Korra" series, GL is a fun show and it is quality TV. I can not wait till next week to watch the next episode.

4.0 out of 5 stars Razer's Epiphany, October 17, 2012
This is my favorite episode with my favorite character. From his introduction, I liked Razer. He seemed to have
the right amount of cynicism and anger to seem real. He also has an ability to care and point out the obvious that
the Green Lanterns don't always see.

In Razer's Edge, Razer has an epiphany that he doesn't want the Green Lanterns to put themselves in danger. He will
deal with Atrocitus himself. But the Green's will not allow a fellow crew member face this alone. Even though Razor
leaves the ship without permission (he is really a prisoner), Aya and Hal have to argue with Kilowog to go and help or
rescue Razer from the clutches of the leader of the Red Lanterns.

It is while in the clutches of Atrocitus that Razer learns of how we was recruited for the Red Lanterns. It is this new
found rage that helps him gain power. But there is a sensitive side to Razer as we see how much he cares for the Artificial
Intelligent being called Aya. The ending though leaves you wondering if he cares for her or despises her!

All in all it is an episode I would recommend for any GL fan. And I am not one that likes my comic book heroes to have their
story lines changed from the comic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Bruce Timm!, April 23, 2012
This is a fine cartoon. The animation is really great. It reminds me a lot of the Incredibles.

The stories are really well written.

I'm not a Green Lantern fan, but I am a fan of this show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal series, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Green Lantern: The Animated Series: The Complete First Season (Amazon Instant Video)
I'm not a big reviewer, but I have to put in my praise for this series.

It is designed for a younger audience, but it is gripping and compelling comic-book science fiction. It uses the source material very well...respecting the rich Green Lantern universe that exists in the comic while still open and accessible to new viewers. The original characters that are introduced are interesting and their story arcs will drag you in.

It can be dark and gritty at times (within the limits of a younger audiences show) but also witty and humourous. This is a show that has no problem poking fun at itself and comics in general (Kilowog's explanation of why Hal Jordan always wears his mask when away from Earth made me laugh long and hard.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Show!, March 17, 2013
I was introduced to this show back near the beginning and was instantly hooked. I know next to nothing about the comic series, so this show wasn't too hard to follow at all yet, simultaneously, it had plenty of nods to the original source material that I found out later.

The characters are amazing. Hal Jordan and Kilowog, obviously, are characters from the comics and are just a joy to have on screen at any given moment. The original characters Razer and Aya blend seamlessly in with the rest of the universe, creating a cast that is entertaining and downright fascinating to watch. The story arcs were filled with brilliant writing that made it so I hated missing an episode due to being away from the TV at the necessary time. I was very invested in the characters and their lives and the crises they faced.

For a more comic-slanted review, I'd suggest Blog of Oa, but as someone completely green to the overall series, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who, like me, had not once picked up a comic for Green Lantern.

3.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year old son likes it., March 14, 2013
Bob Loblaw "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog" (Oklahoma City, OK United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best things on television on the planet Earth!, February 28, 2013
I say that as a tv fan, as a comic book fan, as a painter and as a human. Unlike all the loud mindless "entertainment" out there this show makes you think and feel...like a human. Sure it is set in a comic book setting but GET OVER it. Listen to the story and maybe even learn something from it. I have yet to figure out why a song about a thrift shop gets 130,000,000.00 views while this show is being taken off the air. Who let's things like that happen?

Love,