Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - Playstation 3
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Change
Price:$9.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 9, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
"Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters" can best be described as an amalgamation of aspects from "God of War" (regarding combat) and aspects from "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" (regarding how powers are mapped and utilized, as well as combat). Players take control of Hal Jordan (a second player can take control of Sinestro in local co-op--there is no online co-op or multiplayer) on levels that either take place on land or in the air. The flying levels are mercifully short (I don't care for flying levels in general) and the ground levels (many of which lack detail and all of which lack the ability to roam freely) have multiple parts and hidden items to uncover. The powers/constructs at your disposal are fun to use and new upgrades/constructs are available each time a player gains a level. The game is not particularly long (there are only 10 levels), though some levels will likely need to be replayed to uncover every available item/upgrade. The 3-D option makes the colors quite vivid and does contribute to the visual presentation, though the graphics are fine without 3-D augmentation. I recommend the game to action game fans and individuals who enjoy superhero games, though I suspect many people will likely derive all of the pleasure they desire during a standard rental period from their local video store.

My pen name is indicative of my bias, which I freely admit, though I must state that this game is much more enjoyable than I thought it would be, especially considering how horrendous previous superhero movies have been.

The "Green Lantern" movie opens next week--hopefully it will make a great deal of money because I would appreciate a sequel to this game, perhaps one with a bit more depth and perhaps some interesting multiplayer components.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
We pre-ordered Green Lantern months ago, so we were excited when it arrived. The game is certainly fun, but it's not excellent and I would advise potential buyers to wait until the price is more reasonable.

Pros:

1. Excellent graphics. The game looks really good, and the different worlds you visit are detailed.
2. The fighting is really fun. There are many combos and "constructs," which are new moves you earn along the way. I was a little afraid that all of these different moves would make fighting confusing, but it works well. Fighting enemies with a baseball bat, large hammer, machine gun, and fighter jet (among others!) is extremely satisfying. Every time you upgrade your fighting, the moves actually look different and more impressive.
3. There are a limited number of puzzles. None are extremely challenging, but they take some time and add some dimension to the game.

Cons:

1. This game is really short. I will add the caveat that I was playing with 2 players , so I'm sure it would take longer with only one player. But with 2 players, we easily beat this in about 5 hours.
2. You can only have one saved game at a time.
3. Ryan Reynolds' voice acting is pretty bad. His Hal Jordan sounds very flat throughout, to the point where I almost found it distracting.
4. This game is filled with hints. There is no exploring and never any confusion about what you're supposed to do next. Whenever you're supposed to move an object or open a door, it lights up. Makes things too easy in my opinion.
5. We had a few technical glitches. One was minor: in one area, the two characters and the ground suddenly disappeared, then reappeared. The second glitch was far more annoying. During the second to last big battle (the Manhunter with Kilowog inside), you are in a circular room. The camera circles around as you move, and every couple of seconds your view gets completely blocked by the wall. Irritating!
6. You cannot fly in most of the game. There are a few flight levels, which I found to be annoying. It was tricky to aim and fire your weapons accurately, so we mostly just flew around shooting at random until the levels were over. Thankfully, the flight levels are very short.

Overall, I enjoyed playing this game. The fighting in particular was very fun, which is good: 90% of this game is fighting. But the game was too easy and much too short. I wish I hadn't paid full price for this game!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
I purchased this game as a huge Green Lantern fan, my expactations were moderate considering its a game based on a movie, usually those type of games are not the best, so.... been said that, i have to say the game is pretty fun, the combat gameplay is entertaing enough to keep you playing more than two or three hours, the problem is that you wont be avaible to play more than 4 hours because you will finish the game by then, the game is really really short, the trophies are not hard to get so i guess after 10 hours you will have the game completely finished with all the trophies unlocked, after that there is nothing left to do because it doesnt have any online mode.
So, if you are a Green Lanter fan, you should give this game a try, is pretty fun as i said, but if you are just a casual gamer this game is not what you will expect.
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Comic book movie adaptations are notorious for having awful tie-in video games, and I had pretty much figured Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters would fall into that category. Instead, the game is surprisingly not horrible, which in itself is pretty surprising. Borrowing elements from games like God of War and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Green Lantern lets you play as the titular hero and take down hordes and hordes of murderous Manhunters in an effort to save the universe. Film star Ryan Reynolds is here to provide the voice of Hal Jordan, and familiar Lanterns like Sinestro and Kilowog are also along for the ride as well. For the most part, Green Lantern is straight forward, mindless action and button mashing, which is typical for this kind of comic book movie tie-in game. Eventually you'll get bored with it, but it does have a few things going for it. The game looks good and controls well enough, but it is extremely short. With all that being said, Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters isn't a bad endeavor one bit, and you'll certainly play worse comic book movie tie-in games.
on March 18, 2012
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
This game is good. It took 5 days to platinum playing a few hours a night. I found it very repetitive though...one map to the next fighting the same old villains.

A lot of people complain about the farming at the end...I didn't have that problem. My solution to make this enjoyable is play on normal through chapter 3 or 4. I was then comfortable with the controls and constructs. I switched to Emerald Knight difficulty and completed with no problem and over 200,000 points ($) to spare. I played the entire 10 missions and missed one collectible (green meteorite) on chapter 9. Went back and got the plat. Done. For a movie/super hero game this is a very enjoyable game. It was just very repetitive to me.

Two bosses gave me a problem in the beginning but after I upgraded everything this game was a cake-walk.

For $10-$20 this is a no brainer. 6-10 hours of fun with an easy plat to add to the collection.

Overall B-.
on April 15, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
This is a great game by leaps and bounds, especially the co-op. Now there are probs with co-op, the main one being that player 2 is ALWAYS Sinerstro, no way to change that (other than trading controllers lol).

It has a nice level up through buying with the points that the player had earned.
The game continues on even in death (may restart the level, but better than starting all over). In co-op, just keep one player alive until the dead player re-spawns and all is good!

Would recommend this highly.

NOTE: In case need more clarification, this is a 2 player max and sitting side by side to play.
on August 27, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
This has the "Star Wars" space-epic feel that Geoff Johns & Ryan Reynolds were talking about. I really wish the movie would have been more like the game than it was. I enjoyed the movie, but this feels more Green Lantern-y.The gameplay can get repetitive, but I love all the constructs that you get throughout (LOVE the mechsuit!) which keeps it entertaining. I put about 15-20 hours into the game. If you're a hardcore GL fan (like me), buy it. If not, I suggest renting it or waiting for a price drop.
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
As others have said, the game is pretty to look at and the controls are excellent.

I played on the easiest level and it was a very short game. There are 10 chapters. I think 3 of the chapters were flying and they are very short. It would not be a bad $20 play, but it is certainly not a $60 game. I am a huge GL comic fan so I did not want to wait. I enjoyed the game and it was better than I expected. But by no means is it a good game.

There are LOTS of enemies, but very little variety. You will fight the same things over and over and over and over. You kill everything on one screen and then go to the next and repeat.

I guess I was most disappointed with the inability to roam and explore. Basiclly there is 0% roaming. Everything in the game is so obvious and linear.

On the flip side, when you are mashing buttons repeatedly you seem to enjoy it no matter what. Honestly, it could be any generic button mashing game. Nothing stands out.

Another think to be noted is how the game saves progress. It will automatically save as you play. It shows a little disc while it is doing this, but it also seems to show the same disc while things are loading as you play. There is no save option or way to verify that it is saved before you quit the game. It will only save one game at a time and you cannot do a back save in case you want to start from a previous point if you are trying not to miss things without starting over. Luckily, there is nothing really to miss.
on July 21, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
I actually liked this game. I didnt exspect much from this game at all;but because I liked the movie and it i cheap now I would. I was wrong, it is a very fun game. I dont know why buy I just enjoyed this game a lot. Plus it is 2 players(whisch I did not knnow about.) A nice space for upgrades/replay value .
on February 20, 2015
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
A very cool game that is much more fun when played with a friend. It was very repetitive at times, but the game-play was fun and the graphics were good. When playing solo, some areas are very difficult to get in time (before a battery explodes, etc.) and you find yourself having to play it several times, so it seems as if the game was made more for two players than for solo game play.

See 1 answered question