Published 16 months ago by LASeoulGuy

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the green smoothie trend
Published 13 months ago by Deb Atwood, author of Moonligh...

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Information and a Great Price For the Amount of Important Content Written, November 5, 2013
LASeoulGuy "Scott" (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
The book is an excellent resource for anyone who would like to learn more about the benefits of including green smoothies into their diet. The book discusses important health issues such as cleansing and detoxification, weight loss, increased energy, anti-aging therapy, blood pressure, and diabetes, with smoothie recipes that are tailored for each of these. It was well written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoothie Bible, November 4, 2013
Jan (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The information you'll find in this book is amazing. The author has definitely over-delivered (very good price quality ratio). Moreover, he crafted this book into a easy to read, practical book.
To me this is the Smoothie Bible !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information and tons of recipes, November 2, 2013
This books is different from the usual juice diet books out there. I tried juicing and didn't like it because I felt so much valuable nutrient was being thrown away. Smoothie Cravings fixes that problem - making these smoothies is easy, and since they are blended drinks, I am getting all of the fiber and nutrients of the vegetables and fruits.

The author not only explains all about the nutrition factor of making green smoothies, but there are extensive recipes to choose from. This is an excellent book, one I can see using almost every day.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the green smoothie trend, January 22, 2014
I was surprised to find no introduction from the author. I wanted to know the author's background for expertise. Is he a dietician? A scientist? A famiiy cook? All of these could be legitimate backgrounds for an authoritative text, but usually authors will introduce themselves and give a reason for writing a book. I also wanted more science to back up the claims. The author cites some medical and scientific authorities but doesn't always clearly link the quotes to the conclusions in the text. By the end of the book, following much information about food properties and chemical interactions, I wondered if the author had a biochemical or nutrition background, but it would be helpful to know that. (And I found no indications on his author page.)

This book is inspiring and made me want to try a green smoothie. (This is the second health book I've read promoting green smoothies, and it's starting to take effect.) I also liked the author explaining the role of fiber in the smoothies. My husband recently bought a new juicer (the Magic Bullet) that easily grinds the fiber so that there is no throwaway sediment. I decided to give a recipe or two a try. The results were satisfying and tasty.

What's most impressive about this book are the many recipes, the detailed information about nutritional content, and specific recommendations for medical conditions such as diabetes. The author has clearly put a tremendous amount of time into his research.

The author provides many good tips about diverse topics such as the properties of lemon rind and the calcium-binding problems with spinach. As a complete newbie to this process, i appreciate the recipes and am anxious to try even more. And since the book contains 70 recipes, that won't be a problem.

What didn't work. Though the content is impressive, the writing is well...not good. Garbled syntax, muddied grammar, misused homophones abound. In the beginning, the text was repetitive, stating the same benefits of green smoothies multiple times. Also, particularly in the beginning, the sentence structure/syntax was unwieldy, often confusing the author's meaning. After about a fourth of the way through the book, the writing clarity improved. Still, you can almost hear this book bleating "Help me!" A competent editor, even a talented high school student, could bring this book to a higher level and augment the author's credibility.

I recommend buying this book if you are interested in joining the green smoothie revolution. You will find a plethora of tips and recipes for newbie and pro alike. That being said, I wasn't thrilled with the lack of established credentials (even if the experience comes from a home kitchen, I'd consider that legitimate provided there is sufficient biochemical knowledge), but I think readers should know. One reviewer has pointed out possible inconsistencies in calorie calculations, for example, which may indicate less than stellar credentials. At times the muddled writing may set your teeth on edge, but the tasty treats will smooth it all away.

3.0 out of 5 stars good recipes, March 29, 2014
Interesting book with good recipes. I enjoyed understanding the power and the benefits of green smoothies. I will be making many of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value - Tons of great recipes, January 15, 2014
This book has recipes for great tasting smoothies both for pure enjoyment and for assisting with a wide range of medical conditions, detoxing and weight loss.

I could not believe the variety of smoothies that are offered in the book. I can't wait to start trying these recipes out!

The book as well written and the recipes are diverse enough that anybody can find multiple new smoothie recipes that appeal to them. Buy the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely recipes I'd love to try, January 17, 2014
This book is a combination of nutritional advice, recipes and motivational discourse on how you can achieve good health.

The recipes look really good and I'd love to try a fair few of them - though some of the ingredients will be hard to obtain in Australia, and many of the measurements are in imperial units.

The nutritional advice is relevant and not too technical - giving enough information for the smoothie-maker to be truly making an informed decision about their health.

The only reason I don't give this book five stars is because I HATE motivational speeches about my health and this book starts every chapter with a short one. This is personal and not a reflection on the author - in fact, Kishore's arguments for the what and why of good health are as good as that of some of the highly successful personal trainers I've worked with. It's not Kishore's fault that something in my mind snaps at such speeches and they have the opposite effect, making me want the TV, couch and a lot of chocolate.

All in all, well worth it if you need convincing of the benefits of blended smoothies for your health kick...and the kick in the nether regions to get you to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, May 10, 2014
Recipes are simple with easy to find ingredients. Every recipe that I have tried is very tasty, of course, I guess that you have to be in to the green smoothie craze!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should drink a healthy drinnnk to boost your body, March 27, 2014
I just love this book. I now make a green drink everyday. I now have my roommate drinking a green drink also. She says at work its just the pick up she needs. When I feel a little sluggish I know what I'm missing. When I went to the doctor my blood counts changed from to high to regular. I told her about the green drink every day. I feel healthy and now understand that what we eat has such an effect on the body. I didn't think I would like it, but after a month now I have it daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource For Smoothie Recipes And Nutritional Information, April 29, 2014
I like the variety of ingredients, the volume of recipes, the way the recipes are organized by health categories (weight loss, detox, cancer, diabetes, etc) and the wealth of nutritional information. It explains the purpose of this vitamin or that mineral and identifies the fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts and spices that provide the element. A great addition to my healthy recipes library.