5.0 out of 5 stars An easy first step toward better health
Published on September 9, 2009 by Jamie

1.0 out of 5 stars Blendtec infomercial disguised as a smoothie book
Published on August 29, 2009 by Nicola

1.0 out of 5 stars Blendtec infomercial disguised as a smoothie book, August 29, 2009
This review is from: Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health (Paperback)
I was very much looking forward to receiving what I thought would be a comprehensive book of green smoothie recipes. Imagine my disappointment to find all of 30 pages of recipes in what amounts to a 226 page Blendtec blender informercial. Do I feel duped. There are two blenders on the market powerful enough to handle these types of smoothies on a regular basis. Both are described in the following Cooks Illustrated Review and are both up to the task of making these smoothies. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each. ([...]). This book, however, is little more than an informercial for one of the two blenders - the Blendtech Total Blender, while devoting a page to how terrible she considers the other blender (a Vita-Mix) to be. This author throws in the word Blendtech on page after page after page, sometimes throwing in Blendtech Total Blender just in case you forget the full name, singing its praises throughout, and even including a testimonial on the very last page that just happens to praise the Blendtech blender. I lost count of how many times she says Blendtech and stopped counting after a while. Oh, and she nonchalantly mentions that if you purchase the blender on the link through her website, you'll get a free gift. Does she get a commission from Blendtech if the blenders are purchased through her website, by any chance? I'd like to know. If you want to sell a book on green smoothies, fabulous, we can all use more greens in our diet. But if you're trying to hawk a product (in this case a blender) on the unwitting consumer, then have the decency to be upfront about it. I have never seen such egregious product placement ever, much less in a book. I just spent [...] on a 226 page commercial. Save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great especially in comparison to Victoria Boutenko, October 14, 2010
I purchased three books as suggested by Amazon, the two books "Green Smoothie Revolution" and "Green For Life" by Victoria Boutenko and this book "The Green Smoothie Diet". While the author has a great understanding of the importance of green smoothies and a balanced raw diet, she lacks credibility as far as scientific research and knowledge goes. She seems to get most of her knowledge from personal experience and self-exploration as opposed to credible outside sources. Victoria Boutenko, on the other hand, backs up all of her claims and studies with valied evidence and research from many outside sources as well as her own studying and experimentation. For some reason, it really annoyed me that Robyn felt qualified enough to actually publish a book that was a failed attempt to compete with Victoria Boutenko. Her (Robyn) recipes actually have way too many ingredients and many of them contradict what the truly-qualified Victoria suggests (with valid evidence and research). After finishing the "Green Smoothie Diet" I felt overwhelmed with all of the ingredients that I would have to buy and how much my grocery bills would sky-rocket. Not only does she have you putting in tons of produce, but then you have your superfoods, seeds, coconut oil, etc. to include. Victoria is very clear that it is best to keep it very simple--no oils or seeds or any starchy vegetables; only water, fruit and greens with only 1-3 greens at a time. Victoria's recipes are far superiour to those of Robyn as far as taste goes, as well as convenience, cost and ease. I am much more motivated by Victoria's books than by Robyn's. Furthermore, I am much more prone to following Victoria's advice as I am to Robyn's simply due to the credibility factor. Robyn seems to have done her research on Victoria prior to writing this book and possibly even regurgitated Victoria's substantiated findings and claims. To me, "The Green Smoothie Diet" was a huge waste. I am so glad that I purchased the two Victoria Boutenko's books along with it so I was able to see for myself the superiority and quality of her books. In short, buy "Green for Life" and "The Green Smoothie Revolution" by Victoria Boutenko. I promise you will be ecstatic about green smoothies and the ingredients won't put a dent in your wallet. For those that love this book "The Green Smoothie Diet", I assume you have not read the other two books I have mentioned because if you have, you will change your mind regarding Robyn's "genius" book and recipes. I read Robyn's book first and thought it was alright but as soon as I read the other two books and tried Victoria's recipes after Robyn's, I was shocked that Robyn had any positive reviews. Also, I have a blendtec and love it. I had a vitamix before and the motor was smoking. I saw the blendtec at costco and purhcased it and I love it way more than I ever did the vitamix. One day when my husband is out of medical school, I plan on owning both the vitamix and the blendtec, but for now, I prefer the blendtec.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy first step toward better health, September 9, 2009
I so appreciated the author's approach. She isn't a fanatic who insists that you must follow an instant 12 step program. Miss one and you are toast. Her approach promotes a simple first step, which is so easy, anyone can do it. Most people don't stick to any health regime for long, because the plan is too spartan, or too difficult and time consuming to manage. The simple and easy Green Smoothie habit is not only extremely healthful, but so easy and time efficient. And doing that one good thing for your body opens the door to wanting to do other good things. That is the real beauty of this book for me. I find the book to be full of useful information which she has shared with easy links to other internet sites for more detailed information. ( I did watch the video on colon health!) And for those wanting more.... her website is full of specific topics which are thoroughly researched and easy to understand. As to the complaint in one review about the book seeming like a blender advertisement...... I don't have the top brand blender, but I know exactly what Robyn is talking about. I suffered and finally gave up on Smoothies before I had a good blender. She is only being honest about the quality of most blenders out there and realistic about Smoothie success. If Robyn didn't make the blender issue so prominent, most people would be totally frustrated at home, trying to use the wrong tool for the job and finally giving up. I just hope that all will try it, regardless of the type of blender they have, and realize the benefits first. The blender recommendations will then be much appreciated. The only part of the book I haven't delved into is the recipes section. I like the simple, and have my own Smoothie recipe that works for me. I wouldn't want anyone to thumb through the recipe section and get scared away by the vast array of possible ingredients. That is a plus, but could be overwhelming to a new-comer. Bottom line, Robyn doesn't make you feel like a loser, with all your bad habits. She encourages progress by this one amazing step, and knows that it will lead to good things.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cult of Personality, November 24, 2009
C. Evans (San Clemente, CA) - See all my reviews
Although this book does contain some useful information, it has a constant underlying thread of salesmanship. It constantly hints that you should go to Robyn Openshaw's website and buy a Blendtec blender(after a lot of research I went with the VitaMix 5200 myself).

She also seems to have an almost catty dislike of Victoria Boutenko the author of Green For Life. After reading Ms Boutenko's book I have to say she has far more quoted and referenced scientific research, and has obviously spent a lot of time backing up her conclusions with fact.

Although both books say essentially the same things. I personally can do without the sales pitch, evangelical bylines, and resentful snipes that appear in Ms Openshaw's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pumped and Empowered!, August 10, 2009
I just read this book and highly recommend it, have lent my copy to a friend
already. You will finish it so pumped and empowered to start eating
healthier--Openshaw shows how it doesn't have to be expensive, or time
consuming, or hard.

I was engrossed from the first page of the introduction, which is funny
because you wouldn't think a nutrition book would be so interesting. The
author has a nurturing voice and helps you feel YOU CAN DO THIS.

She covers everything, right as I had the question, like 10 tips to get my
kids to buy into the ideas, what's good about all the different greens
available, how to buy and store them, 10 reasons to start doing green
smoothies, what exactly to eat to detox or to lose weight. I've always
wanted to try the superfoods you read about, and now I know how to use them
all. I love Openshaw's review of her research on what happens to people who
drink green smoothies regularly--no one could read that and not want to
start taking her suggestions TODAY. The book is very well written, too.
Love the frequently asked questions and all the testimonials at the end.
Her website [...] is amazing.

Can't wait to try all the recipes. I have my blender cranked up! Usually I think of eating right as a drag, but today I'm feeling totally excited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew going Green could be so Easy, August 14, 2009
Wow! I've been struggling for years to find a way as a mother of 5 to
eat a healthy diet on a consistent basis, and I beleive The Green
Smoothies Diet just showed me the way.

I'm a consumer of health books, I read everything, but have found it
hard to be consistent with all the chopping and dicing, especially
during any sports season --The Green Smoothies Diet showed me how easy
it is to consistently include the healthies ingredients in my
childrens diet on a daily basis with little fuss.

The book is entertaining, fun to read, full of valuable information
and research. It has just replaced several similar books in my recipe
cupboard.

This is a must read for mothers struggling in the jungle of junk foot
that can't see the green for the twinkies!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Word: AWESOME!!, October 7, 2009
My wife and I embarked on a journey into the world of "Green" to help overcome her breast cancer and various nagging issues related to our overall health. "Green" means organic, raw, unprocessed, real food. We now juice organic veggies every day and this book has helped us have a variety of healthy choices.

This "Green" campaign has increased our stamina, provided an overall incredible level of clear thinking, remarkable sex and has done some amazing things for my wife's breast cancer. The light at the end of the tunnel is becoming a blinding blast from the sun.

I highly recommend this book for the health aspects and also to give a variety so the "Green" in your life will not be such minimal choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, cant wait for more, August 31, 2009
I am not the type of person who spends a great deal of time crowing about books I read but I have to tell the world what this book has done for me.

I am a business owner and I must admit, I was over weight. My busy lifestyle made it difficult to eat right and I was paying the price. My friend told me about the [...] site and got me reading the blog there. I purchased this book back the first week of August and I have already lost 18 pounds by just following the teachings of this book.

I have to admit I hated eating salad and all that green stuff as I never could choke down all the salad and veggies my Dr. was telling me I needed to eat. With The Green Smoothies Diet, it's a fast and easy way for me to "eat" (actually drink) the servings I need. I love the recipes and Robyn's writing style. If you want to be healthy and take the headache out of eating green, this book is a must for your kitchen! Thanks to Robyn, I can now see a new lifestyle and not some silly diet to follow. Green Smoothies Diet is easy and tasty!

I just downloaded more recipes off her website today!

Thanks Robyn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wake Up Call For Good Health, August 14, 2009
As a recent convert to vegetarianism, I found this book very enlightening. It backed up with facts and scientific studies some of the thoughts I have been mulling over in my mind for some time. I have already discovered the health benefits of a plant-based diet, and the information in the book added to my convictions. I was especially impressed with the statement by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. that "We now have more evidence that meat and dairy cause disease than we have evidence that smoking causes lung cancer."
I found the book to be very well written, easy to read, and filled with personal anecdotes that bring the book to life.
My husband, who suffers from veggie-phobia, finds the concept of drinking his greens very appetizing.
I wish this book would have been written when my sons were small. It would have eliminated the daily "eat-your-vegetables" war!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in one sitting and am off to change my life!, August 14, 2009
Hazel Rose (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm stunned at how simple, straightforward and reasonable this book is. I was looking for a way to turn my family's diet from a typical American's to something more healthful and 'green', but struggled with how complicated making the switch to veganism or raw-foods would be. Then I stumbled onto the Green Smoothies Diet and realized how simple but impactful this one change could be.

The book itself is remarkably well written (I don't think I've ever been compelled to read a 'diet' book in one sitting) and so reasonable, reassuring and accessible. But it's also full of detailed, comprehensive nutritional information. Openshaw is proof of the theory that you have to understand a subject incredibly well in order to explain it in a simple & clear manner.

I especially appreciated the recipes, lists, and 10-steps to make the changes that seem so obviously right and doable. Openshaw offers dozens of delicious-sounding recipes, organized by the primary green involved. I'm recommending this book to so many of my friends who also struggle with these issues, and I know they'll love it!

ARRAY(0x9868fbf4)

Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health
Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health by Robyn Openshaw (Paperback - August 25, 2009)
$14.95 $12.70