Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Swanson Green Tea 500 mg 100 Caps
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: one bottle|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 4, 2013
Anyone who has done research on Green Tea knows that EGCG is one of the main benefits of taking a Green Tea supplement. Sure, if you're DRINKING Green Tea (such as Matcha), you're also getting chlorophyll. But a normal Green Tea supplement, you want 40-50% EGCG. I love Swanson (amazing company), but they sometimes put out supplements that are dirt cheap, just to appease the people on a shoestring budget.

What you should be looking for in a Green Tea supplement is for it to be standardized with AT LEAST 40% EGCG, if not 50%. Find a product with 50% EGCG, take 2-4 capsules/tablets a day, and you have a supplement that's more effective against the Flu than the Flu Shot. Sadly, this Green Tea supplement doesn't contain any EGCG whatsoever. If it does, it's probably 1-2% or less.

I know this is cheap and looks attractive, but you're better off paying an extra $8-10 or so, and getting a REAL formula. I'm all about maximizing your supplement intake, and this product is one that should be in the trash bin.

My recommendations: either drink Matcha Green Tea (preferably organic), or get a supplement that reveals the EGCG content of the formula. A quality supplement will be 50% EGCG and is usually 200mg of EGCG, which is the equivalent of 2 cups of green tea. If you're drinking a good quality Matcha, EGCG content is about 61% and a cup of Matcha Green Tea has about 180-240mg of EGCG.
1111 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2006
I have been taking the green tea supplement for 4 weeks, twice the dose that the bottle recommends, walking 20 minutes daily and have lost 21 lbs. without any change in my diet. (I still enjoy the occasional cheeseburger and fries). I have yet to found another supplement that yielded that kind of result. I don't know if the weight loss was due to the walking or the green tea, or the combination, but I do suggest trying this routine. Swanson Vitamins is the most inexpensive source I have found (with fast mail delivery) and walking is really kind of addictive. I had a hard time at first going out to walk, but wanted to see if the plan would work and I can easily say, it did. Good luck to you! One thing I can say with certainty, is that the supplements I have purchased from Swanson have been cheaper than most and still effective.
88 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
Have been taking Green Tea 500 mg caps (4 per day) for 6 mos. and have lost a total of 42 lbs. They greatly increased my metabolism that was quite low due to hypothyroidism.
on July 19, 2007
These are very potent. I get a little "buzzed" when I take two at a time. They do speed up my metablolism and have helped me to lose weight without any change in diet.
on January 2, 2014
I take one of these in the morning with my breakfast and 2 CLA supplements. I been losing belly fat that I have gained from my pregnancy and thought I couldn't get rid of.
on April 17, 2009
Would not recommend doubling the suggested dosage. One of the side effects include heart arrhythmias. I have only been taking it for about 5 days and started having irregular heart beats and skipped beats. Other than that the product seems great.
on March 11, 2015
I decided to try this product because I have elevated cortisol levels and green tea can sometimes be a natural balancer of cortisol. I have been taking one 500mg capsule daily for two months now, and I am amazed at how well it is working for me. Unless I forget to take it, I have almost no anxiety (one major symptom of elevated cortisol). This, in combination with a healthy diet and exercise program, is helping me to very gradually lose weight, something that was not happening with diet and exercise alone. Please, please, please don't take this as a lose weight fast diet pill. You will be disappointed, and you could do a lot of harm to your body. I would encourage any potential buyer to do as much research as possible before taking. There are certain drugs such as that found in cold and sinus medication that is not compatible with green tea suppliments. It has diuretic effects, so it is important to drink lots of water throughout the day to reduce kidney stress. There are many great websites that describe potential side effects and drug interactions. Even though this is a naturally derived suppliment, it can be very potent and should be treated as any other type of medication. It does have natural caffeine from the green tea leaves, but no added caffeine. For me, it has done a remarkable job of bringing my cortisol levels back within a normal range, and I am so thankful someone told me about it.
on January 13, 2008
I don't drink a lot of green tea, so this is great! Thanks! Great price for this many capsules.
on October 1, 2008
These green tea tablets are very potent and make you feel really energized. Boosted my metabolism and now I have a lot more energy and feel great.
on June 7, 2012
I, like others, have noticed 10 lbs weight loss after taking these supplements for 3 months without much of a change in lifestyle or diet. I definitely feel a nice boost in energy. I tend to be skeptical, but if my weight loss continues for the next 3 months, I'll be convinced.