1,002 Reviews

1,011 of 1,028 people found the following review helpful
Published on August 24, 2011 by Joel Avrunin

We purchased this mower in an attempt to be more eco-friendly, and for the first couple of uses, the mower worked just fine. However, after a few uses (we mow bi-weekly), the mower died in the middle of cutting the lawn. I checked the breaker switch, the outlet, the cord, and everything else I could think of, but the mower was definitely broken.

I consulted the...
Published 16 months ago by M. Lapin

1,011 of 1,028 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied former Black and Decker owner - Greenworks gets it right!, August 24, 2011
This review is from: GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower (Lawn & Patio)
I bought my first electric lawn mower when I bought my first house in 2004. It was a Black and Decker MM675 with a flip-over handle. That lawn mower served me well for about 5 years and never let me down. Then, one day I used it when my lawn was too wet and the motor started to smoke as it bogged down on wet grass! I could no longer get the MM675 model, so I went to Home Depot and "upgraded" to the MM1800, the 18" corded mulching/bagging mower from Black and Decker. Immediately I was dissatisfied. It didn't feel as strong as my old mower, was more unwieldy, and had this awful plastic shroud that made it hard to maneuver. Everything on it felt cheap, and two years later, it died on me while mowing grass that was not that thick.

I decided to try to leave the Black and Decker world and see what else I could find.

Bear in mind, I did not consider gas because I don't have the room to keep fuel around and I have a modest size yard. I did not want cordless battery power because I didn't want to have to keep batteries alive (some require charge/discharge cycles all winter) or buy new batteries.

Corded lawn mowers are a fine solution. Many complain about "cord management", but here's the trick. Your lawn never changes. Unless you are a professional landscaper (and if you are, buy a gas mower), then you always mow the same lawn. So the trick is to come up with a mowing pattern where you mow away from the outlet and never trip over the cord. Once you have a pattern, stick with it and you can mow quickly.

Which brings me to the Greenworks 25022 20" electric bag/mulch/side discharge mower. It costs a bit more than the Black and Decker, but what a difference. First, the deck of the mower is metal, not plastic! That means it is thinner than the B&D. Also, with more metal the top is not covered in bulky plastic. I have a sewer cleanout stand-pipe in my yard. My Black and Decker MM1800 could never mow close to it so I always had to get out the weed whacker. I was amazed that the Greenworks 25022 could mow so close that there was no need to come back for cleanup. I did it all in 1 pass.

The amazing thing is that the mower is 20" instead of the 18" of the B&D, meaning I could mow my lawn faster with fewer passes, yet it could also get closer to things due to the smaller shroud over the blade.

Other nice features include very large rear tires, what might be the largest in the industry. They make it far easier to maneuver than models with 7" or 8" wheels. Cord management is a snap with a nice pig-tail cord that secures nicely. The B&D model didn't have a pigtail, just a plug on the device itself, and the cord was harder to keep in.

This mower also permits side-discharge. I normally just mulch, but it is nice to have that as an option in addition to bagging.

The mower activates with a simple bar that has a 1-button safety. The safety is easy enough to use to not be obtrusive and the bar is full length so you can grab it from either side.

The height adjustment of this mower is far higher quality than the B&D height adjust. Strong metal controls with positive stops made height adjustment a snap.

For the space limited, the handle folds very easily. The middle bar doesn't even need to be unscrewed as there are folding posts to "snap" it into place, and the screws on the bottom are retained in the unit when it folds so there are no parts to lose.

I am a happy convert from Black and Decker, and recommend you give this mower a try!

Update from November 2011:
When I first reviewed the mower, I commented that I was just mulching. This weekend I gave the bagging feature a try because I wanted to mow up the leaves all of my yard. If you mulch those you just make a mess, so I needed to bag. The bag installed easily - just lift the spring-loaded back door, remove the mulching plug, and the bag has 2 hooked to secure it. The bag filled up quickly which was to be expected given the large number of leaves I was mowing, but it was easy to empty. One thing I quickly noticed - the bag is narrow enough to fit between the handlebars. As a result, I could pick it straight up without bending over and pulling all the way back. I spilled less clippings and got it emptied far faster. The bag is obviously well thought out and rounds out a great tool that I recommend with no reservations.

Update from Spring 2013:
The mower is still going strong. Just another note - I abuse this thing. I leave it chained under my deck all year long since I don't have a garage or a tool shed. It sits in the rain, the snow, the heat, and the cold. Amazingly, every spring I plug it in, squeeze the handle, and it starts right up. Can't say that for even lots of gas mowers. Still gets my recommendation!

Update from Spring 2014:
I tried a Black and Decker mower this year that was battery operated. It lasted 2 weeks and died when the blade hit a root and bent 90 degrees. I went back over to my Greenworks 25022. It's started to rust a bit (yes, I still keep it outside), but I plugged it in and cut my lawn in a snap. Still a happy customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm..., December 30, 2012
This is a review for the Greenworks 25022 12 amp electric mower with dual-column gas chromatograph. If you swallowed the last part of that first sentence, then be forewarned about the rest of my review...you'll get a lot of that. So pay attention.

First of all, this thing is cool. I don't usually jump right to `coolness' as a major criteria, but let's face it - mowing your lawn with an electric mower is about as manly as shopping for curtains. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But if you ARE going to use one of these, it should at least look cool.

By cool I mean it's low and sleek and aerodynamic. You may not think this is important, but when most of your neighbors have shrines to Dale Earnhardt in their man caves, every little bit helps. Even the green finish is race-car quality. And yes, I put some "3" stickers on it as soon as I unpacked it.

It also appears kinda jacked up, with those larger rear wheels. But seriously, these make a lot of sense, and they make maneuvering a lot easier. Which is huge if you are a clumsy dolt like me. Add in a trailing power cord and you've got all the makings for an amusing video.

OK, let's get down to brass tacks - do I like it? Um, duh...did you not see the five stars? If all you want is the bottom-line, then yes, I own several Greenworks products and this is by far my favorite. The folks ate Greenworks may love me for this, but beware guys...if I get around to reviewing your electric trimmer you may not like me so much.

Unpacking...there was none. I mean really...outta the box, fold up the handle bar, attach cord, cut grass. I could still smell the exhaust fumes from the UPS truck that dropped it off when I first started mowing. Press the control handle down, press the start button, start mowing. I admit I get a cheap thrill out of the simplicity of button-start. It took a while for me to get used to the fact that if I ever have to pause mowing, I didn't have to do the one-hand-on-the-control-handle dance, also known in some cases as the "just moments later I ended up in the ER" move. It's where you have to pause to pick up an obstacle, and with a GAS mower, you are loathe to let go because you know that means pulling the cable to get it going again.

Now, if I have to stop and start again, I often wait for a car to go by so I can grin at them while I press the button. Granted, most of my neighbors pay to have their lawn cut, so my feeble attempt at showing off is most likely a complete waste of time.

Back to the details...using the mower is a breeze and it has handled everything I have thrown at it just fine. I live in Florida, and my lawn is a mix of St Augustine and some other stuff that I am pretty sure are weeds. I'm sure the good people who write all the neighborhood "appearance" laws will let me know soon enough if I am right. Point is they are thick. But behold the power of electric torque (whatever that means). I think it means that when push comes to shove, electric power can be pretty awesome. So I have never had any issues, even with wet grass.

Let's talk about the height adjustment thingy. My first reaction when I read about this in the reviews was "who cares...set it to the proper height for your lawn and forget it". If you're popping this thing up and down I am betting your lawn hates you. But when I got it in person and tried it out, it was almost orgasmic. If you have ever struggled with those individual spring adjusters on each wheel, you will love this. I raise and lower it with ease. I have no reason to do so, but again I just love doing this when I am out front by the road. I look like Vanna out there smiling as I use ONE hand to change the height of the entire mower. Just have to remember to set it back to the right height. Coupla times I was so caught up in showing off that I left it on low, and sure enough the electric motor happily chewed a bald spot in my lawn as soon as I hit the start button.

OK let's talk about mulching. Hmmmm...well, I don't have much to mulch, but I rarely use the catcher. And I never see clumps of grass or anything like that. When I do use the catcher, it works just fine, and the grass I see in there looks pretty well chopped up. By the way, I only use the catcher when I need new clippings for our outdoor composter, which gets pretty darn disgusting here in sunny FLA. I mean, when you open the lid and you see a whole lotta creepy things squirming around your banana peels and coffee grinds, ain't no way I'm gonna reach in and scoop ANYTHING outta there. So I add more grass to cover them up. Point is I mulch all the time, and no problems.

I guess at this point I am done talking about the mower itself. Which brings us to the subject of what it takes to mow a lawn with a power cord. I admit it took me a bit to come up with a method that didn't involve me tripping over the cord multiple times and landing on my face. Power cords can be remarkably potent weapons in the hands of someone who is clueless. And let's get one thing out of the way right now...yes, I have run over the cord by accident. Luckily it wasn't at the same time that I forgot to set the height back to high after showing off. Otherwise I might not be here writing this review.

I am pretty sure I own one of the biggest lawns of anyone who currently uses an electric mower. I stopped caring about lot sizes at some point in my life, perhaps right around the time I realized I was more excited by the Home Depot catalog than I was with the one from Victoria's Secret. But I am told by my other neighbors that we have the biggest one. I dunno, maybe 40,000 sq ft? No more than an acre for sure. So the first rule I learned is to work in small sections. I was worried this would be a bad thing when I started a new section...how would they line up? Would the Lawn Police cite me for uneven lines? Luckily it doesn't seem to matter.

You also have to work OUT from the cord source. Yes, I know this sounds obvious, but if you knew me like my wife knows me, this is an important point to make clear. Kind of like the time I was cutting a tree down that was near our house, and I managed to notch it on the wrong side. Given a fifty/fifty chance of screwing something up, I have a unique ability of not choosing wisely.

So what I do is work perpendicular to wherever the cord is plugged in at the house. I know that's a big word for some people, so think of it this way...it looks like a big T...the cord comes straight out from the house forming the base of the T, and then you start mowing side-to-side forming the top of the T as you go along.

Here's my big tip...ignore the fixed cord holder on the mower. Why? Because I found that as I am mowing my way out, it's easier for me to just grab the cord in one hand, and I simply shift which hand I use as I go back and forth. This way I always keep the trailing end of the cord on the house side. Believe you me...this greatly reduces the trip-and-fall-on-your-face factor. Not that that ever happened to me. Really.

Here's another tidbit...when I shopped for power cords, I ended up with a 100' and a 50'. The 100' is a royal pain in the patooie. Not only is it heavy and cumbersome, but the outer sheathing is `sticky', and when you start trolling along a hundred feet of cord, it can be remarkably hard to do if it clings to the grass like bratty kid that doesn't want to go to the dentist. The fifty footer is yellow and the surface is smooth. Get yourself a smooth cord. Trust me on this.

OK this is really long and Amazon probably won't even approve it. If you need or would like an electric lawn mower, this puppy rocks. I really really like it, and no, Greenworks is not giving me a free t-shirt for doing this review. Although that would be kinda cool. I figured I'd better drop this hint now just in case I do ever get around to talking about their trimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent electric mower!, September 10, 2011
Mitchel Lidowsky (New Hyde Park, NY) - See all my reviews
I waited until I had a full season of use before submitting this review. My prior mower was an electric corded BD Lawn Hog that I had for six years. I'm used to being tethered to an electric cord for mowing the lawn. My property is 60' x 100' on Long Island and relatively flat. This Greenworks mower is way better than the BD I used to have. It's a bit bigger, 20" vs 19", but it's lighter, more manuverable and even though both are 12 amp, the Greenworks mower seeems to be more powerful. I always bag the clippings so I can't comment on how well it mulches. The bag mechanism is great. The spring loaded flap closes securely. The deck is metal not plastic as in the BD. The blade design is different too and I think it cuts better. I did the lawn today after not cutting for two weeks. The Greenworks cut through the high grass with ease. The price is great. It's a "green" product that doesn't pollute the air. It's quiet compared to a gas mower. The light weight makes it very easy to use. I have no complaints am I am very pleased with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor--Mower Broke in 2 Months & Horrible Customer Service, August 6, 2013
M. Lapin (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews

I consulted the Greenworks service manual, and, when the mower will not run, it advises you to check the extension cord. Seriously, that's it.

So, I called Greenworks, and, after 30 minutes on hold, I spoke to a gruff customer service representative/technician. He was pretty rude, but that's really beside the point. He took my name and address and said he would have some parts sent to me that would fix the mower.

A week later, two parts show up in the mail with no description or explanation, but I'm a handy enough guy all things considered, so I opened up the mower and found the parts easy enough to replace. But--even after replacing the parts--the mower still wouldn't start. (Because of course it wouldn't.) I should also mention that these two parts are the only two replaceable parts in the mower besides the motor itself. So, to me, that means that I have a defective motor and that, really, the whole mower should be replaced, considering it is only a couple of months old and broke during my fourth use.

Well, I called the customer service line again, and was given the complete runaround. They refused to honor their warranty and return the mower because it had been purchased online (there's no such restriction in the written warranty), but did give me the address of a service center that could allegedly fix the mower. Of course, this service center is over an hour away from my house and is only open during business hours on weekdays. Fun.

Thankfully, Amazon customer service has agreed to return the mower. I cannot warn others away from GreenWorks products in strong enough terms, though. DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY OTHER GREENWORKS LAWN PRODUCTS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed... (UPDATE: Do not buy this mower), July 9, 2011
Shane G. (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
I don't have a small lawn, but it's not huge. I had previously been using a reel lawn mower, but because there's a lot of weeds right now (until I replant) it just wasn't cutting it (pun intended). When I got the Greenworks in, it had rained so the grass was wet. It also hadn't been cut in almost a month. Despite such adversity, the mower made short work of the grass. I am deeply impressed. So long as it holds up in the long haul, I would definitely recommend this product.

UPDATE: A couple years later and I've encountered a major issue with the mower. I was chopping along one day and it shorted out, kicked the breaker in my house, and fried my GFI outlet. Turns out it is probably a bad bridge rectifier, but I'll never know for sure because the COMPANY WILL NOT RESPOND TO CUSTOMER SERVICE INQUIRIES. I emailed and called the company several times and they have not responded. The product is supposed to be covered by a 4 year warranty, so I contacted Amazon.com and they've given me a full refund. I shipped the unit back yesterday and replaced it with the EARTHWISE brand mower that is very similar. Their customer service is known to be better, and I really like their mower better so far. It is quieter and cuts long grass better.

1.0 out of 5 stars First mow: Awesome! Second mow: Dead! And it cannot be returned!!!, May 7, 2013
DS (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I read the rave reviews and didn't think I could go wrong. I totally and completely regret this purchase. I bought it in late February and only took it out of the box for the first time in late April. It was easy to put together and mowed the lawn for the first time of the season without an issue. This evening was the mower's second time out. Half way through the lawn, it died! Deader than a door nail. It had tripped the circuit breaker. We checked out any and everything that could have been on the circuit (besides the mower) then switched the circuit breaker back on. Attempted to turn on the mower again. Mower didn't go, and the circuit tripped again. Mind you, nothing else was on that circuit. So, moved the mower to the garage to try it with a different extension cord and on another circuit. Plugged in the mower and attempted to turn it on. The garage lights dimmed and buzzed, and the mower did not turn on. Scary! I am very, very disappointed. Because it has been more than 30 days since it was purchased, it cannot be returned. I will not buy a large item like this online again. Not happy in the least. Steer clear of this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long, June 18, 2013
This mower was great for a while. It broke on the 5th mow. Blew circuit breaker and will not come back on again. Read the rest of the bad reviews, its a pretty common problem.

Im sad because I liked it so much when it worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just starting out, am liking this., April 13, 2013
I have gone from gasoline push mowers for many years to a battery-powered electric mower for 4 years to this corded electric. My yard is approximately 1/3 acre corner lot.

My issue with a gasoline mower has been that the exhaust has caused coughing spells. Besides that I was getting tired of handling gasoline, oil, and dirty air filters, and the odors of gasoline. The battery-powered mower was fine with new lead-acid batteries but after over-wintering, the batteries lost their capacity. This became non-cost-effective due to the high cost of the batteries.

So I decided to try a corded electric mower. From shopping, I noticed the Greenworks 25022 had a lot of high reviews which trumped the Black and Decker and other brands. Ordered it from Amazon and Amazon provided its usual impeccable service.

From the box, I only had to assemble the handle and to attach the handle to the mower. It was an easy task.

The deck and handle are metal and appear well-built.

Height adjustment is a snap - a single lever controls the height. One thing I like is that its maximum height is 3.75 inches which is fairly tall which I prefer to keep my grass.

The first time I ran it last week was just over the front yard which was the only part needing immediate mowing. I found the mower to be light and easy to push - in fact so easy that I can easily push and pull it one-handed. I did struggle a bit with the cord and had to learn some cord management.

Today I ran it again over the front yard. This time, taking tips from others, I exercised more cord management, starting near the outlet and moving back and forth while moving away from the outlet in a perpendicular direction. I found that cord management was much easier and it was actually a pleasure to mow.

The grass in some areas was several inches long and fairly thick and the mower sliced through it easily.

For those who are technical geeks, I measured its current draw using a clamp-on ammeter while mowing a few laps to see what it was according to load and thickness of grass. If it is not cutting grass, it draws about 4.5 amps (no-load). Running it over moderate grass will bring the current up to 7-8 amps and the thicker grass took it up to 11 amps. I have not seen 12 amps yet.

For the cord, I recommend a contractor-grade extension cord, at least 14 gauge for 100 feet and 12 gauge for longer. Do not use 16 gauge for 100 feet, it will drop the voltage down by 6 or 7 volts. Contractor-grade cord is extremely rugged and flexible at all temperatures, it does not get stiff, and resists tangling. This is the kind of cord you want while mowing.

I will post updates later in the season.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product, June 6, 2013
I was excited to order this mower after positive experiences with Black & Decker electric lawn mowers, and the positive reviews on this product. My excitement was destroyed upon trying to mow my lawn one time. The mower stopped working after about 20 minutes, and I could never get it restarted. Forget about calling customer service for Greenworks, no one ever answers their 1-888 number. I recommend avoiding these no-name products and staying with a brand name and a local store where you can take it back for repair or replacement much more easily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quit working a little over a year later, January 7, 2012
Ms. T (Houston, Tx) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Update:
Naturally, not long after writing my review this mower started misbehaving. It would only start up intermittently. I called customer service and they pointed me to a warranty service company who I took the mower to. They didn't seem to be very competent or knowledgeable, and naturally they gave me the mower back and said the problem was fixed by replacing the rectifier. So I took it home, fired it up and I was happily mowing again. However, next week I went to mow, and again, it would not start up. Same problem as before I took it in for service, so obviously replacing the rectifier did nothing and I wasted my time and gas money for warranty service. It basically will only start up after sitting unused for several weeks. To this day, it still behaves like that. Very frustrating and makes no sense to me why it would act this way. I was unwilling to keep playing along with warranty service and so I just gave up on this very frustrating mower and bought the Earthwise 20" electric mower. So far it has been rock solid with zero issues. I would be reluctant to purchase this brand again, because I feel like they probably have reliability issues.

Original Review:
I waited a year to write this review, because I had a black and decker electric mower before that only lasted 6 mos. before the motor died, and I wanted to be sure this one would last at least that long - and it did. It's still going strong a year later and works as great as the day I got it. I am a petite woman, and this mower is the perfect balance of power and ease of use - I love this mower - it mows everything perfectly, even small branches and doesn't choke on thicker grass. And it's lightweight enough that I can push it around easily. Also, changing the mowing height could not be easier - just move the lever up or down a notch and you're ready to go. I primarily use this as a mulching mower and it does a great job mulching grass clippings and even leaves in the fall. I wouldn't hesitate to this purchase this mower again if it ever wears out.

GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower