1,020 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier so far!
So I ordered this model even though it had no reviews at the time. I was looking at the comparable Toro and Snowjoe models, but couldn't bring myself to buy either since there were so many negative reviews in addition to the positive ones.

I went with the Greenworks for two reasons:

3.0 out of 5 stars Scraper wear problem
Published on January 11, 2011 by Bruce Wilkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier so far!, December 15, 2010
Russ Logic (Canton, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GreenWorks 26032 12 Amp 20" Corded Snow Thrower (Lawn & Patio)

I went with the Greenworks for two reasons:
1) The 4-year Warranty
2) The 20" width

Well, let me say that so far I feel I absolutely made the right choice.
The unit looks great, and seems to be built with very high quality parts.
How it was packaged was also excellent. There's no way this baby's going to get damaged in delivery like I heard about with the competitors.
The only negative was that Greenworks actually went overboard with their packing... They actually put the unit together by screwing directly through the plastic covers that go on the parts so I couldn't get all the plastic off the pieces without taking some pieces apart.
I see this as no big deal as again it is their effort to make sure everything is protected for delivery but just letting everyone know about it.

Once built (very easy to do I might add), the machine is very easy to maneuver since it has quite large rubber wheels. I know there have been negative reviews about the Toro due to the cheap tiny wheels. No issue here!
The handle is adjustable to 3 levels (I'm 6'2") and I was able to make it comfortable for my height.

Well I had to wait a week until the snow came, but come it sure did! I live in northeast Ohio, so the last few days have been a downpouring of the white stuff.
I had purchased 2 50-foot outdoor cords rated at 13 amp (this unit is 12 so we're fine).
I also purchased some Snow Jet non-stick coating spray and used it per the directions prior to the first use. I had read about it as a way to avoid the snow clogging in the thrower or chute while working.
The first time I used this thrower, I noticed how easily it moved the snow. The chute is very easy to adjust in direction, and it easily shoots at leat 6-10 feet so you're able to make sure you don't shoot snow over an area you've already worked on.
Once I got used to it, I was able to do the whole driveway and walk in 15 minutes the second time. Piece of cake!
The snow was soft the first time but a mixture of wet snow and ice the second time. This made no difference it worked just as well. It also worked perfectly on the slush at the bottom of the driveway where the street plows make that big mess all the time.

The blades are steel covered with rubber, and it really hugs the ground and pulls the snow off.
I'm not going to say it will get you to bare ground in all spots, but it sure tries and it's more than good enough to get your vehicles in and out which is the main purpose right?
I mean if you want to get the bottom layer of ice completely off you'll need rock salt and a shovel anyway.
This thing did get some of the ice off, but I didn't want to push too hard to get it to do that and possibly damage the blades.

Bottom line is that I got this for $200 on Amazon and I already feel it's my top purchase of the year. I had a Snowjoe 12" snowbroom last year and it broke, then I had to do the old shovel routine. It would take me at least 2 hours to do my driveway and walk last year.
Now, with twice having at least 6 inches of snow on the driveway, I was done in 15 minutes and back in the warm house.
As long as the wind was in my favor, I didn't get too much snow on me and certainly saved my back.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with this one. I only hope its longevity matches its performance so far, but with a 4-year warranty, I can afford to take that chance.

It didn't hurt that Amazon gave me free shipping and it showed up the NEXT DAY!
I did not pay for overnight and I got this the next day after I ordered it. I still don't know how that was possible but I'm not complaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful in SD, February 26, 2011
Heidi Jenkins (Rapid City, SD United States) - See all my reviews
I had ordered the Greenworks 16inch Snow Thrower and overnighted it. We're in South Dakota in the middle of a three day blizzard and I was sick and tired of snowing. It came 2 hours ago. I had it put together and outside working within 15 minutes. It actually took me longer to put my snow pants on. I have a 2 1/2 car driveway and I live on a corner lot so I have a lot of pavement to clear. We (my niece and I) got the entire area cleaned in an hour. We are talking around 15 inches of snow, and 10 inches of it was 3 days old. The snowthrower had no problem clearning anything and didn't catch on the pavement and did everything I wanted it to do! The best part was it started every single time with no problems at all. I used to have a huge gas powered snow blower that had all kinds of gears and reverse, and I have to say I prefer the Greenworks handsdown!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 11, 2010
D. Anderson (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
We ordered this on a Saturday and it arrived the following Wednesday. Two days later we are in the midst of a 20inch snowfall/blizzard. This machine works like a charm. We chose it for the 4 year warranty. We see now that it's a very capable machine and perfect for an old-fashioned Minnesota blizzard. It took less than 5 minutes to assemble and can be used even by someone with severe back and neck limitations. Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great Works Green, GreenWorks, December 9, 2012
Length:: 1:13 Mins

Yes, I finally got to test this on heavy snowfall and it works great. Cord is a minor hassle. Be sure to buy a LONG cord rated for cold weather. The video shows it plowing through 8.5" snowfall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scraper wear problem, January 11, 2011
I have used this item twice since purchase--a 2 inch and a 4 inch snowfall. It does an excellent job of throwing loose snow from my driveway. The only problem I have noticed is that the plastic scraper (also known as the snow spade) wears down rapidly. I am using the thrower on a concrete drive and pushing it across the concrete is like grinding the plastic away. Replacement scrapers are $20 so I hope I don't have to replace it several times a year. It seems to me that the scraper should have a metal wear surface that would hold up better than the plastic. I am in the process of trying to design aluminum "skid" for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to old Toro 1800: just as powerful, heavier, better built, January 8, 2011
I've used a similar Toro 1800 for 8 years to clear a driveway in NH. It's been great, but I just did a side-by-side test with this, and it powered through dense snow I piled up for testing with no problem, and actually threw the snow further (GreenWorks 19 feet; Toro 14 feet). And the features and build quality seem better than my old Toro. I thought that meant that, together with the 4-year warranty and the lower price compared to the Toro, this was a clear winner. But now I see that Toro has upped the ante--they have just this year improved their electric model 1800, and now both units have some of the same advantages compared to my old Toro. The right decision might be different for different people, but the Greenworks is very attractive at this price.

The two Toro 1800s are the old Toro 1800 18-Inch 12 Amp Electric Curve Snow Thrower #38025 and the new Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower. The main advantage of the Toros over the Greenworks is that they are lighter--25 lbs for the new Toro 1800 vs. 37 lbs for the Greenworks. For smaller, weaker people the Toro could be easier to handle. Or, for things like clearing steps or decks, you can easily lift the Toro to do that. You can lift the Greenworks too, but I think I'd opt to just use a shovel before I'd bother with lifting the Greenworks.

Since I got the Greenworks, we've only gotten a light snow , but to test the GreenWorks side-by-side with the (old) Toro, I pushed all the snow in the top 1/3 of my driveway into a pile as high as their front openings (both about a foot), and tried powering through with each. Both went through easily. The Greenworks threw most of the snow about 19 feet; the Toro about 14.5 feet.

Since that hadn't been a challenge for either, I then used the Greenworks to collect lots of snow into one area, and then shoveled that into a deeper pile. At that point, the snow was getting extremely dense, from going through the snowblower once or twice and being piled up. That pile was harder to get through with either machine. The motors were both powerful enough that the rotors didn't get bogged down. However, pushing the machines into the dense pile is hard work--unlike big gas machines, these aren't self propelled. And jamming the GreenWorks into the dense pile was harder. Not to the point where there was any question that it was up to the job--just that I had to back out and roll in again more times, and each of those was more work with a heavier machine. At the time, I assumed that it was harder to push the Greenworks in mainly because it's wider. But upon looking at the Toro website, I see that they explain that their funny "powercurve" blade shape is intended to help pull the machine into the snow. I think that works to help make it easier to get through really dense snow.

All in all, I expect that clearing a large driveway with a heavy snow would be about as much work with either. With the Greenworks, you can make fewer passes since it does a little wider swath each time, but you are handling a heavier piece of equipment so it's more work. So I consider them equal on performance. But that's with the old Toro--the new one is rated to draw 15 A instead of 12 A, so presumably it's a little more powerful, although the current rating doesn't prove anything.

So next consider features and quality. Comparing them side-by-side, I thought the Greenworks had better build quality and features..but then I looked at the new Toro and some of the improvements in the Greenworks are also in the new Toro! For example:
-Wheels: Greenworks has the biggest wheels, but the new Toro has wheels almost as big, vs. the dinky ones on the old Toro.
-Both have a handle that is easy to take off or fold for summer storage, unlike the old Toro.
And the new Toro has some other nice improvments like better chute adjustment mechanisms.

But the Greenworks has some nice advantages too:
-Better quality safety switch system on the GreenWorks. It's both easier to hold on, and harder to accidentally activate. It's actually quite possible to accidentally activate the Toro if you carry it by the handle that has the switch. The Toro has a plastic key that is a good way to prevent kids from playing with it, but that only helps if you bother to take the key out, and are you really going to do that?
-Metal blade (with rubber bumpers) on the Greenworks vs. all plastic on the Toro.
-Adjustable handle height--slightly taller than the Toro at the tallest setting and has two steps lower available.
-Circuit breaker built in--probably makes it less likely to burn out the motor.
-Sturdier handle with more steel and less plastic, compared to the Toro.
The Greenworks also has a better anchor point for the cord to prevent it pulling out of the plug, compared to the old Toro, but I can't really tell how that's set up on the new one. In any case, it's nice on the Greenworks.

Both of them require minor assembly. I can't remember much about assembling the Toro, but I was very impressed by the way the GreenWorks was packaged, with the parts you need for each thing attached right where you need them, and most of them requiring no tools. I'm used to getting a bag of parts with a confusing diagram, making asembly a puzzle. None of that here--very clear how it goes together and very quick.

Durability might be an issue to consider. I know that the Toro held up well, though not indefinitely. After 7 winters it needed the switch replaced--inexpensive but a pain to take apart. The Greenworks is somewhat unproven...but the fact that it comes with a steel blade and a 4 year warranty means it might be considerably better than the Toro.

Comparing them side-by-side makes them both seem impressive: the Toro for packing so much power in a small, light unit (and the new one might be even more powerful), but the GreenWorks is impressive for being more solidly built, having lots of details done nicely and being an amazing bargain at 2/3 the price with double the warranty.

I uploaded some pictures of them side-by-side--you can see them below the main picture on the product page.

Update: After a few years, none of my assessment above has changed, but I find myself choosing the Toro most of the time, just because it's lighter. The decision probably comes down to the tradeoff between weight and cost--the Greenworks is a real bargain if you don't mind the weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little machine!, December 13, 2010
I will start by saying I am a female and the primary user of this snow blower. I had an OLD Toro that I always fought with to start because either my arm isn't long enough or I just don't have the upper body strength to start the thing. I wanted something easy for me to start and that would help me through a Cleveland (Ohio) winter. After looking at several models - the price, size of the deck and warranty sold me on this machine.

When the machine arrived, I was able to carry it into my house to assemble it (so the machine is pretty light). I think it took me longer to unpack the machine than it did to put it together. After assembling, I was able to lift the machine back up and move it to it's spot in the garage.

When we got our first snow, I thought to put this machine into action. It took some getting used to on not to trip/unplug the cord, but I think I finally got that part down (I knew it had a cord when I ordered it, so I'm not rating this snow thrower any less because my clumsy behavior). As promised, it chewed through the snow easily! It's about as loud as a shop vac, so I don't feel TOO terrible using it at 6:00am because I doubt it'll wake my neighbors. It's easy to push and maneuver. I am overall very happy with the machine!!

EDIT 2/6/2014: My machine still runs as good as the day I got it! Several of my neighbors have been inquiring about my little snow thrower after they've been having problems with theirs. Several of my friends and family have also purchased this machine knowing how much I like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm having to edit my review. Stupid crap., January 7, 2011
New Review:
The first day I got my snow thrower it worked fine, it had been warm inside while being built and all was good. I went outside, blew some snow and it worked great, see old review below for how nicely that went. I put it in the garage and a few days later we got a few inches of snow and I just went out to remove it. I immediately tried moving the shoot and didn't even crank the handle hard and the damn thing popped off. Now the snow thrower shoot can't be moved. The handle is metal, but forks to thin tongs, that easily bent, which connect to a plastic block that kinda looks like a lego. The shoot has a tiny bit of ice on it, but not much at all. If you don't have a heated garage this things probably going to keep breaking on you. If you do have a heated garage it's a crap shoot. This machine is surprisingly well built for the price, but the few design flaws it has are going to kill it.

Old Review:

This snow thrower is great. I'll start with two points though: It is now a 2 stage 600 dollar snow blower. It won't cut through 2 feet of snow like it's not there. It has a 3 prong (grounded) power system. Anyone who's bought a power cable in the last 10 years won't care, but I had to buy a new cable (30 dollars at Walmart). I didn't care but if your tight on money this could be a problem. I bought a medium weight 13 amp cable and it works fine. What it is:

This little guy is light, I assembled it upstairs and carried it outside with ease. I'd say around 35-40 lbs. Assembly was fairly easy and straight forward. Putting the shoot hood on takes working with a few small parts so if you have shaky hands that one step may take you a little longer.

This machine is quiet. I'm post concussion and noise really bothers me, this is not as noisy as a vacuum cleaner.

This works brilliantly on concrete. My sidwalk/driveway has about a half inch of caked on ice/snow and it went over that and blew the extra 1.5 inch off that was above the caked on. Wheels move easily, the machine has a great center of balance, and you'll hardly notice it's not self propelled. Off of concrete it's a bit harder, since the wheels will sink into snow a bit, but this should come as no supprise.

Since blowing an inch of snow off concrete just wasn't a good enough test for me, I decided to try it against the banks in the yard to clear a spot for my garbage can. Test Conditions: Fargo, ND. 45 inches of snow so far this year. Snow: 2 feet, semi-compacted. Had rained a few weeks ago so some good portions of ice are mixed in. Snow thrower: I slide it against the bank, it went in about 3 inches and then would stop. I'd wait till snow stopped coming out, back up, go in again. I cleared a 4ft by 4ft hole in about 5 minutes with little trouble. Moving the iced snow from that spot with a shovel would have hurt.

End result: I can't believe this thing works, but it does, and it seems sturdy. I love that it's not 600 dollars like a full on snowblower and I really love that I don't have to crank on the thing to get it started.

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel better already, February 5, 2011
Purchase the Greenworks 26022 and received in 5 days with free shipping - even with inclement weather holding it back. The snow thrower came in excellent shape and was very easy to assemble. The whole lower unit was ready out of the box only had to assemble the handles and the directional vane control. We have a lot of left over snow outside (8 inches) from our last snow fall so I went out this morning and made the paths wider. No problem at all even with wet snow and a little ice. Found the thrower easy to move around and is very well balanced. I was even able to tilt it up and make a couple of passes with the 8 inches still on the ground. This should really help my back out. This model will work out perfectly for our needs. It seems to have very good power. I will make quick work of 6 inches of fresh snow. Very well built. We are scheduled for another snow storm in 4 days so now no big deal for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Snow Joe 622U1, January 9, 2011
I bought this unit to replace my Snow Joe 622U1 that blew apart and would not be warrantied by Snow Joe. Turns out the 2 year warranty doesn't cover the main plastic housing. I just used it to remove 6" of snow this past weekend so I will do a first impression review.

Some people were complaining that the factory wrapped the handles in plastic and then assembled everything. This makes it impossible to remove the plastic unless you unscrew everything. This isn't really a big deal and is merely an aesthetic complaint. I tend to be picky so I loosened a few nuts and screws so I could remove all the plastic wrap.

Others complained about the smell of the snow blower. The smell is actually coming from the rubber wheels and is not unusual. It dissipates after a while and within a few minutes our cats were playfully jumping in and out of the empty box.

The unit appeared to be packaged very well and nothing was damaged during shipping. It was shipped to me in the factory packaging.

Out of the box the entire unit appears to be very sturdy for what it is.

The handle assembly on the GreenWorks is MUCH beefier than the Snow Joe 622U1. It also feels like it is just a tad bit longer which is good for someone 6ft like me. There is a foam grip and time will tell how long this will last. The thing I love most about the handle on the GreenWorks is that all I need to do is loosen the handle bolts and un-clip the auger rod and the entire assembly can be folded forward for transportation. I take the snow blower to my Mother's house in the trunk of my car so this is a big feature to me.

The on/off controls are pretty simple. Someone complained that they wouldn't be able to easily manipulate the handle when wearing gloves. I tried it with winter gloves and didn't have an issue whatsoever. Basically, the way it works is that you slide a switch left and it pushes the handle out of the switch housing so you can squeeze it and activate the auger. When using the blower I tend to keep the handle halfway depressed to save time. My electric lawn mower uses the same type of switch.

The auger is a bit smaller than the 622U1 but it is also combination of steel and rubber so it should be very strong. Like the 622U1 the GreenWorks uses nylock nuts to hold everything together so I would STRONGLY suggest you check them before each and EVERY use. If those bolts let loose the auger will surely punch a hole through the case of the unit. Nylock nuts are notorious for loosening when exposed to freezing temps.

The discharge chute on the GreenWorks isn't quite as good as the 622U1 but seems to be a bit stronger. On the 622U1 you can adjust the angle that snow leaves the chute. The GreenWorks has this ability as well but as soon as snow hits the deflector it goes to the fully upright position. The 622U1 was a little bit better at not doing this. The 622U1 would eventually deflect but not as easy as the GreenWorks. Also out of the box it was very difficult to turn the rod that rotates the discharge chute. I put some petroleum jelly on the mechanism and now it rotates very smoothly. GreenWorks could stand to do a little further R&D on their discharge chute. With the chute facing forward I was easily throwing snow 30ft. However, when turned to either the left or right a lot of the distance is lost. Turned full left or right snow was only throwing about 12ft or so. This is still plenty to clear a driveway.

The GreenWorks has a pigtail for the electrical connection which is critical when you're dealing with heavy gauge extension cords and vibration. On one occasion my extension cord caught fire while using the Snow Joe because the plug is molded into the handle. Combine a heavy cord, cold temps, and vibration and the cord is guaranteed to vibrate itself loose. This causes a voltage drop/current increase which makes things get really hot. The pigtail helps negate the vibration. As long as the cord is tied around the handle you shouldn't have any problems. Also on the handle is the reset button. If the unit overheats you can push the button to reset it.

The wheels on the GreenWorks are very sturdy and much larger than the 622U1. This makes the unit quite a bit more stable and lets me not worry about breaking a wheel. The 622U1 wheels are only about 4" tall and are made of pretty thin plastic. Due to their size as soon as I would run them through heavy snow it would build up on the wheels and keep them from spinning. This makes it more difficult to push the unit. The GreenWorks wheels are a combination of plastic and rubber. I don't expect them to give me any problems.

I find the scraper on the GreenWorks to be a bit better than the 622U1. The GreenWorks unit does a much better job of scraping down to the pavement. Use this thing on rocks or dirt and you will certainly suck a lot of it up.

I took off the access panel and the auger drive pulley is built a lot thicker than on the 622U1. On my 622U1 this pulley shattered into dozens of pieces when the auger blade let loose. Also, the belt tensioner pulley is steel unlike the 622U1 which uses plastic.

The GreenWorks is definitely heavier than the 622U1. Some people might not like this fact but I am of the opposite opinion. The heavier weight is due to the more robust construction. It also has a 4 year warranty vs the standard 2 year.

After my experience with the Snow Joe I will definitely not be buying another one of their products. The GreenWorks 26032 is just a much better built product.

GreenWorks 26032 12 Amp 20" Corded Snow Thrower