Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greenlee GT-11 Non-Contact Low Voltage Detector
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on September 22, 2008
I have used several types of these non-contact voltage detectors. They are an essential safety tool for anyone who works around live wires, or wires that may be live, not just electricians.

Along with similar products in this price range, what I like about this product is: it's compact size which allows it to be easily carried and accessible; the inclusion of a light indicator (useful in dark places like attics and basements) AND an audible indicator (useful outdoors and in bright lights). Note that some competitive products only glow when current is present.

Features that I like specifically about the Greenlee GT-11 include: the positive On-Off switch that eliminates the need to constantly squeeze a contact point on some other models; and the use of common AAA batteries. Another brand of detector I owned used small watch/button batteries that are harder to find and cost almost as much as the purchase price of the whole unit to replace.

The GT-11 will identify individual hot wires, but may not detect current when the hot wire is buried in a bundle of wires or cables, or when it is encased in conduit or other shielding. As noted in another review, it will only indicate when inserted in the 'hot' opening of an outlet, not in the neutral opening (no current). Some users will find this to be a helpful diagnostic advantage. Others may want a detector that lights up anywhere near a live wire, without needing to identify individual conductors. This is a sensitivity issue.

Greenlee also makes a Model GT-16 with adjustable sensitivity down to 5 volts if that is better suited to the user's needs.
on May 10, 2010
I've used this and the Fluke one. I prefer the Fluke, although this one is somewhat cheaper. They both do the job of detecting low voltage A/C currents in receptacles as well as from the outer jacket of wires, but this one seems less durable and is prone to damage when dropping. Both have lights and audible alarm when an electrical current is present. The biggest negative to this is that the on/off switch is also the cap to load/unload the batteries. On is one side, off is the middle, and battery removal is the other side. If you turn the cap the wrong way, you run the risk of dropping and losing the cap which makes the entire tester unusable.

If you just need something to do the job, this works fine. If you will be using this often, better off spending the extra money and getting the Fluke.
on June 6, 2014
But the company discontinued it, so buy them while you can still find them. I am a professional electrician and have tried every Detector out there. This is the Best Voltage Detector on the market today!
on August 14, 2011
A compact testing device that I use on a daily basis. Very reliable (as are just about all Greenlee Products)
I especially like the audiable signal in addtion to the blinking led light for quickly finding a cable or device that is energized.
I've had several home inspectors comment of what a great tool for their toolboxes.
Everyone seems to want to borrow mine, so I bought two!
on November 4, 2009
While the Greenlee GT-11 works reasonably well it breaks easily if dropped. The on/off switch breaks and the product is useless. I carry a tester at all times in my shirt pocket and sooner or later it will take a fall. After buying two of these at Home Depot I finally made to a supply house and bought the much superior Fluke product. More resistant to breakage and sweat.
on May 14, 2014
I've had it in my pouch for a couple of years now, and it's held up fine. Would probably go with a model with adjustable sensitivity next time, but this one does what I ask it to do, so no complaints.
on November 23, 2013
Works fine. But, the cap, which holds the batteries in place, is very thin plastic and apparently can't take any impacts at all. First time I dropped it, maybe three feet onto concrete, the cap broke and now it's useless. I regret buying it.
on July 9, 2010
ive owned two of these. i lost the first one, then tried a friends Fluke volt sniffer and didnt care for the on/off button (it was hard to tell if it was on or not, therefor annoying). i think the greenlee is better.
on July 12, 2010
This tool is my first grab, after dropping a breaker, to test for voltage prescience. If I don't get the alarm, then I move on to the DMM, to verify completely. This tool makes me feel a lot safer when working on any wiring project, and gives peace of mind. The tester could be more durable, but I also keep it in my main pouch on my tool pouch with dikes, pliers, nut drivers and other moving parts. It looks beat to heck, but still keeps ticking. It'll last you a long time, but the clip won't, that's for sure.

I'll probably go with a Fluke if this ever dies, but I don't think it will. Others complain about dropping it, but I've done it many a time, and it still keeps on ticking. I've owned this tester for at least 5 years now, but do not use it on a daily basis.
on February 15, 2010
My husband uses this quite often. Would recommend.