Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 28, 2014
This is my first electric mower. I have roughly 1/2 acre of grass to mow. I took it out today to mulch up some lingering leaves from last fall and it worked great, plenty of power, and I don't really mind pulling an extension cord.

One note though, it is not sealed, the motor gets very dirty during use. I suggest opening up and cleaning regularly with a blast of compressed air or a leaf blower. The screws don't come out easy - I'm going to replace them with quick release pins so I can throughly clean mine up after every use.
review image
77 comments| 477 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought my first electric lawn mower when I bought my first house in 2004. It was a Black and Decker MM675 with a flip-over handle. That lawn mower served me well for about 5 years and never let me down. Then, one day I used it when my lawn was too wet and the motor started to smoke as it bogged down on wet grass! I could no longer get the MM675 model, so I went to Home Depot and "upgraded" to the MM1800, the 18" corded mulching/bagging mower from Black and Decker. Immediately I was dissatisfied. It didn't feel as strong as my old mower, was more unwieldy, and had this awful plastic shroud that made it hard to maneuver. Everything on it felt cheap, and two years later, it died on me while mowing grass that was not that thick.

I decided to try to leave the Black and Decker world and see what else I could find.

Bear in mind, I did not consider gas because I don't have the room to keep fuel around and I have a modest size yard. I did not want cordless battery power because I didn't want to have to keep batteries alive (some require charge/discharge cycles all winter) or buy new batteries.

Corded lawn mowers are a fine solution. Many complain about "cord management", but here's the trick. Your lawn never changes. Unless you are a professional landscaper (and if you are, buy a gas mower), then you always mow the same lawn. So the trick is to come up with a mowing pattern where you mow away from the outlet and never trip over the cord. Once you have a pattern, stick with it and you can mow quickly.

Which brings me to the Greenworks 25022 20" electric bag/mulch/side discharge mower. It costs a bit more than the Black and Decker, but what a difference. First, the deck of the mower is metal, not plastic! That means it is thinner than the B&D. Also, with more metal the top is not covered in bulky plastic. I have a sewer cleanout stand-pipe in my yard. My Black and Decker MM1800 could never mow close to it so I always had to get out the weed whacker. I was amazed that the Greenworks 25022 could mow so close that there was no need to come back for cleanup. I did it all in 1 pass.

The amazing thing is that the mower is 20" instead of the 18" of the B&D, meaning I could mow my lawn faster with fewer passes, yet it could also get closer to things due to the smaller shroud over the blade.

Other nice features include very large rear tires, what might be the largest in the industry. They make it far easier to maneuver than models with 7" or 8" wheels. Cord management is a snap with a nice pig-tail cord that secures nicely. The B&D model didn't have a pigtail, just a plug on the device itself, and the cord was harder to keep in.

This mower also permits side-discharge. I normally just mulch, but it is nice to have that as an option in addition to bagging.

The mower activates with a simple bar that has a 1-button safety. The safety is easy enough to use to not be obtrusive and the bar is full length so you can grab it from either side.

The height adjustment of this mower is far higher quality than the B&D height adjust. Strong metal controls with positive stops made height adjustment a snap.

For the space limited, the handle folds very easily. The middle bar doesn't even need to be unscrewed as there are folding posts to "snap" it into place, and the screws on the bottom are retained in the unit when it folds so there are no parts to lose.

I am a happy convert from Black and Decker, and recommend you give this mower a try!

Update from November 2011:
When I first reviewed the mower, I commented that I was just mulching. This weekend I gave the bagging feature a try because I wanted to mow up the leaves all of my yard. If you mulch those you just make a mess, so I needed to bag. The bag installed easily - just lift the spring-loaded back door, remove the mulching plug, and the bag has 2 hooked to secure it. The bag filled up quickly which was to be expected given the large number of leaves I was mowing, but it was easy to empty. One thing I quickly noticed - the bag is narrow enough to fit between the handlebars. As a result, I could pick it straight up without bending over and pulling all the way back. I spilled less clippings and got it emptied far faster. The bag is obviously well thought out and rounds out a great tool that I recommend with no reservations.

Update from Spring 2013:
The mower is still going strong. Just another note - I abuse this thing. I leave it chained under my deck all year long since I don't have a garage or a tool shed. It sits in the rain, the snow, the heat, and the cold. Amazingly, every spring I plug it in, squeeze the handle, and it starts right up. Can't say that for even lots of gas mowers. Still gets my recommendation!

Update from Spring 2014:
I tried a Black and Decker mower this year that was battery operated. It lasted 2 weeks and died when the blade hit a root and bent 90 degrees. I went back over to my Greenworks 25022. It's started to rust a bit (yes, I still keep it outside), but I plugged it in and cut my lawn in a snap. Still a happy customer!
6060 comments| 1,579 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2012
This is a review for the Greenworks 25022 12 amp electric mower with dual-column gas chromatograph. If you swallowed the last part of that first sentence, then be forewarned about the rest of my review...you'll get a lot of that. So pay attention.

First of all, this thing is cool. I don't usually jump right to `coolness' as a major criteria, but let's face it - mowing your lawn with an electric mower is about as manly as shopping for curtains. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But if you ARE going to use one of these, it should at least look cool.

By cool I mean it's low and sleek and aerodynamic. You may not think this is important, but when most of your neighbors have shrines to Dale Earnhardt in their man caves, every little bit helps. Even the green finish is race-car quality. And yes, I put some "3" stickers on it as soon as I unpacked it.

It also appears kinda jacked up, with those larger rear wheels. But seriously, these make a lot of sense, and they make maneuvering a lot easier. Which is huge if you are a clumsy dolt like me. Add in a trailing power cord and you've got all the makings for an amusing video.

OK, let's get down to brass tacks - do I like it? Um, duh...did you not see the five stars? If all you want is the bottom-line, then yes, I own several Greenworks products and this is by far my favorite. The folks ate Greenworks may love me for this, but beware guys...if I get around to reviewing your electric trimmer you may not like me so much.

Unpacking...there was none. I mean really...outta the box, fold up the handle bar, attach cord, cut grass. I could still smell the exhaust fumes from the UPS truck that dropped it off when I first started mowing. Press the control handle down, press the start button, start mowing. I admit I get a cheap thrill out of the simplicity of button-start. It took a while for me to get used to the fact that if I ever have to pause mowing, I didn't have to do the one-hand-on-the-control-handle dance, also known in some cases as the "just moments later I ended up in the ER" move. It's where you have to pause to pick up an obstacle, and with a GAS mower, you are loathe to let go because you know that means pulling the cable to get it going again.

Now, if I have to stop and start again, I often wait for a car to go by so I can grin at them while I press the button. Granted, most of my neighbors pay to have their lawn cut, so my feeble attempt at showing off is most likely a complete waste of time.

Back to the details...using the mower is a breeze and it has handled everything I have thrown at it just fine. I live in Florida, and my lawn is a mix of St Augustine and some other stuff that I am pretty sure are weeds. I'm sure the good people who write all the neighborhood "appearance" laws will let me know soon enough if I am right. Point is they are thick. But behold the power of electric torque (whatever that means). I think it means that when push comes to shove, electric power can be pretty awesome. So I have never had any issues, even with wet grass.

Let's talk about the height adjustment thingy. My first reaction when I read about this in the reviews was "who cares...set it to the proper height for your lawn and forget it". If you're popping this thing up and down I am betting your lawn hates you. But when I got it in person and tried it out, it was almost orgasmic. If you have ever struggled with those individual spring adjusters on each wheel, you will love this. I raise and lower it with ease. I have no reason to do so, but again I just love doing this when I am out front by the road. I look like Vanna out there smiling as I use ONE hand to change the height of the entire mower. Just have to remember to set it back to the right height. Coupla times I was so caught up in showing off that I left it on low, and sure enough the electric motor happily chewed a bald spot in my lawn as soon as I hit the start button.

OK let's talk about mulching. Hmmmm...well, I don't have much to mulch, but I rarely use the catcher. And I never see clumps of grass or anything like that. When I do use the catcher, it works just fine, and the grass I see in there looks pretty well chopped up. By the way, I only use the catcher when I need new clippings for our outdoor composter, which gets pretty darn disgusting here in sunny FLA. I mean, when you open the lid and you see a whole lotta creepy things squirming around your banana peels and coffee grinds, ain't no way I'm gonna reach in and scoop ANYTHING outta there. So I add more grass to cover them up. Point is I mulch all the time, and no problems.

I guess at this point I am done talking about the mower itself. Which brings us to the subject of what it takes to mow a lawn with a power cord. I admit it took me a bit to come up with a method that didn't involve me tripping over the cord multiple times and landing on my face. Power cords can be remarkably potent weapons in the hands of someone who is clueless. And let's get one thing out of the way right now...yes, I have run over the cord by accident. Luckily it wasn't at the same time that I forgot to set the height back to high after showing off. Otherwise I might not be here writing this review.

I am pretty sure I own one of the biggest lawns of anyone who currently uses an electric mower. I stopped caring about lot sizes at some point in my life, perhaps right around the time I realized I was more excited by the Home Depot catalog than I was with the one from Victoria's Secret. But I am told by my other neighbors that we have the biggest one. I dunno, maybe 40,000 sq ft? No more than an acre for sure. So the first rule I learned is to work in small sections. I was worried this would be a bad thing when I started a new section...how would they line up? Would the Lawn Police cite me for uneven lines? Luckily it doesn't seem to matter.

You also have to work OUT from the cord source. Yes, I know this sounds obvious, but if you knew me like my wife knows me, this is an important point to make clear. Kind of like the time I was cutting a tree down that was near our house, and I managed to notch it on the wrong side. Given a fifty/fifty chance of screwing something up, I have a unique ability of not choosing wisely.

So what I do is work perpendicular to wherever the cord is plugged in at the house. I know that's a big word for some people, so think of it this way...it looks like a big T...the cord comes straight out from the house forming the base of the T, and then you start mowing side-to-side forming the top of the T as you go along.

Here's my big tip...ignore the fixed cord holder on the mower. Why? Because I found that as I am mowing my way out, it's easier for me to just grab the cord in one hand, and I simply shift which hand I use as I go back and forth. This way I always keep the trailing end of the cord on the house side. Believe you me...this greatly reduces the trip-and-fall-on-your-face factor. Not that that ever happened to me. Really.

Here's another tidbit...when I shopped for power cords, I ended up with a 100' and a 50'. The 100' is a royal pain in the patooie. Not only is it heavy and cumbersome, but the outer sheathing is `sticky', and when you start trolling along a hundred feet of cord, it can be remarkably hard to do if it clings to the grass like bratty kid that doesn't want to go to the dentist. The fifty footer is yellow and the surface is smooth. Get yourself a smooth cord. Trust me on this.

OK this is really long and Amazon probably won't even approve it. If you need or would like an electric lawn mower, this puppy rocks. I really really like it, and no, Greenworks is not giving me a free t-shirt for doing this review. Although that would be kinda cool. I figured I'd better drop this hint now just in case I do ever get around to talking about their trimmer.
1616 comments| 798 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2011
I waited until I had a full season of use before submitting this review. My prior mower was an electric corded BD Lawn Hog that I had for six years. I'm used to being tethered to an electric cord for mowing the lawn. My property is 60' x 100' on Long Island and relatively flat. This Greenworks mower is way better than the BD I used to have. It's a bit bigger, 20" vs 19", but it's lighter, more manuverable and even though both are 12 amp, the Greenworks mower seeems to be more powerful. I always bag the clippings so I can't comment on how well it mulches. The bag mechanism is great. The spring loaded flap closes securely. The deck is metal not plastic as in the BD. The blade design is different too and I think it cuts better. I did the lawn today after not cutting for two weeks. The Greenworks cut through the high grass with ease. The price is great. It's a "green" product that doesn't pollute the air. It's quiet compared to a gas mower. The light weight makes it very easy to use. I have no complaints am I am very pleased with this product.
0Comment| 345 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
We purchased this mower in an attempt to be more eco-friendly, and for the first couple of uses, the mower worked just fine. However, after a few uses (we mow bi-weekly), the mower died in the middle of cutting the lawn. I checked the breaker switch, the outlet, the cord, and everything else I could think of, but the mower was definitely broken.

I consulted the Greenworks service manual, and, when the mower will not run, it advises you to check the extension cord. Seriously, that's it.

So, I called Greenworks, and, after 30 minutes on hold, I spoke to a gruff customer service representative/technician. He was pretty rude, but that's really beside the point. He took my name and address and said he would have some parts sent to me that would fix the mower.

A week later, two parts show up in the mail with no description or explanation, but I'm a handy enough guy all things considered, so I opened up the mower and found the parts easy enough to replace. But--even after replacing the parts--the mower still wouldn't start. (Because of course it wouldn't.) I should also mention that these two parts are the only two replaceable parts in the mower besides the motor itself. So, to me, that means that I have a defective motor and that, really, the whole mower should be replaced, considering it is only a couple of months old and broke during my fourth use.

Well, I called the customer service line again, and was given the complete runaround. They refused to honor their warranty and return the mower because it had been purchased online (there's no such restriction in the written warranty), but did give me the address of a service center that could allegedly fix the mower. Of course, this service center is over an hour away from my house and is only open during business hours on weekdays. Fun.

Thankfully, Amazon customer service has agreed to return the mower. I cannot warn others away from GreenWorks products in strong enough terms, though. DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY OTHER GREENWORKS LAWN PRODUCTS.
1313 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2013
This mower worked very well for light usage for around a year. Then a little brittle piece of plastic in the mechanism that turns it on broke. Since it was attached to a lever that must be pulled many times over the life of this mower, it should have been engineered to be more durable. I had to take the lever mechanism apart and clamp the on switch to get it working again.
review image
on September 7, 2013
This mower is heavy duty enough that I'm not worried about shoving it through low-hanging branches, and light enough that I have no problem pushing it through thick grass and up inclines.

It took no more than five minutes to set-up. The handle is adjustable and it folds down over the main body of the mower for storage.

My favorite thing about it is that I don't have to strain my back or throw-out my shoulder to get it started. It's very satisfying to hear it whir into action by just pushing a button.

I use the bag. It's made of a good, slick material so that most of the trimmings slide-out even when wet.

I highly recommend this mower. With a little planning you can get a good mowing route set-up so that the cord doesn't get in the way.
review image review image
on June 18, 2013
This mower was great for a while. It broke on the 5th mow. Blew circuit breaker and will not come back on again. Read the rest of the bad reviews, its a pretty common problem.

Im sad because I liked it so much when it worked.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2011
I don't have a small lawn, but it's not huge. I had previously been using a reel lawn mower, but because there's a lot of weeds right now (until I replant) it just wasn't cutting it (pun intended). When I got the Greenworks in, it had rained so the grass was wet. It also hadn't been cut in almost a month. Despite such adversity, the mower made short work of the grass. I am deeply impressed. So long as it holds up in the long haul, I would definitely recommend this product.

UPDATE: A couple years later and I've encountered a major issue with the mower. I was chopping along one day and it shorted out, kicked the breaker in my house, and fried my GFI outlet. Turns out it is probably a bad bridge rectifier, but I'll never know for sure because the COMPANY WILL NOT RESPOND TO CUSTOMER SERVICE INQUIRIES. I emailed and called the company several times and they have not responded. The product is supposed to be covered by a 4 year warranty, so I contacted Amazon.com and they've given me a full refund. I shipped the unit back yesterday and replaced it with the EARTHWISE brand mower that is very similar. Their customer service is known to be better, and I really like their mower better so far. It is quieter and cuts long grass better.
1818 comments| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2013
I always use an electric mower, no fumes/noise/pulling a darn cord to start etc., but for years I thought B & D were the only manufacturers serious about providing a credible machine. However their plastic housing deteriorates long before the motor wears out and the first rock you accidentally run over will likely punch a hole in the underside; at least that's what happened to the last three I bought! So this year when a wire disconnected somewhere inside the housing of my B & D and the authorized dealer refused to look at it because the housing was hole-ridden, I decided it was time for a change.

The reviews for the Greenworks 25022 were good, being manufactured in China appeared to be the only complaint. There were also a few gripes about having to put it together, but that did not concern me. I placed my order on Amazon and the mower arrived (no mailing charge) a few days later. The only blemish was a few tears in the fabric grip which covers the handle but nothing to get upset about. The "assembly" entailed tightening two screws to connect the upper handle to the lower one. It took approximately three minutes!

The machine looked good and the metal sheeting of the body appears to be as thick as my neighbor's Toro gas mower. The blade, which one reviewer (B & D employee?) stated was paper-like thin, is similar in every way to the one on my old B & D. Features I also liked were the large rear tires and the pig-tail to attach your cord to. With the B & D you have only a socket.

I live in the Seattle area and lately it had been raining, and raining. My old B & D hated the rain and would quickly seize up when the wet grass began to gather in the holes on the underside of the bodywork and clog the blade. I decided this would be a good test for the 25022. Rain boots and plastic poncho on I pulled it onto the saturated lawn, where the grass was a good four inches long. I plugged it in and was delighted to hear the quiet whirl of the blade mowing down the wet grass. As I continued mowing my wife came out to complain about the noise! It was not the noise from the mower that bothered her, it was my singing.

Goodbye B&D and good riddance, cut your prices in half and I may buy one as a back-up but probably not.