Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on January 11, 2011
I have used this item twice since purchase--a 2 inch and a 4 inch snowfall. It does an excellent job of throwing loose snow from my driveway. The only problem I have noticed is that the plastic scraper (also known as the snow spade) wears down rapidly. I am using the thrower on a concrete drive and pushing it across the concrete is like grinding the plastic away. Replacement scrapers are $20 so I hope I don't have to replace it several times a year. It seems to me that the scraper should have a metal wear surface that would hold up better than the plastic. I am in the process of trying to design aluminum "skid" for that purpose.
33 comments110 of 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
I bought this for my husband for Christmas 2010. I was tired of seeing him shoveling snow with a regular shovel. I waited to put a review here until he was actually using it which is happening now. He has now begun doing neighbor's sidewalks just to see how high the snow is thrown which is considerable.

This arrived well packed from Greenworks and well constructed, easy to move around and obviously fun to use! My husband is 61, strong and healthy..........I'd like to see this continue just as much as the inside 'kid' who loves to play also continues!

This is a great product, worth the price and I know I can even use it too (I'm older than my husband)!
0Comment48 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2011
Well I was having a good time really shooting the snow as this seemed really powerful, until I hit a small patch of ice on my deck. It was under the snow so invisible until I was right on it, and wham, the auger just disintegrated. I will never get a snowblower with a plastic auger again. It needs some type of hard rubber that gives a bit before it breaks!
0Comment60 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2011
This snow thrower is a terrific value. It has a couple of minor flaws, but on the whole I am extremely pleased.

I live in an older house, and so the 7-amp motor (what some might see as a disadvantage, was a real benefit to me) because it doesn't easily trip the household breakers. (It hasn't tripped them yet, in fact, after about 4 hours of usage moving substantial snow.) It also has a built in circuit protector which I have not yet tripped either. The reset button is convenient and well-designed. It throws the snow with enough force that it can make it from one side of the double driveway to the piles beyond the other. It's trigger system and dead man's switch work well, and don't require a lot of fussing to operate. Also, unlike several other electric yard tools I own, it has a clever looping system for the cord near the plug which makes it all but impossible to disconnect it by accident. It comes pre-assembled and ready to use out of the box. It is a bit heavy to move around, but certainly lighter than a big full gas-powered one.

I wish it had a handle that was 8 to 12 inches longer. It can be adjusted (which is nice) but its longest setting is a bit short. I am only 5'10", but I have to bend way over to get the shovel at the optimum angle for throwing snow over the considerable banks around the driveway. It wants to be used at an angle relatively close to the ground in any case, which a few extra inches of handle would make more comfortable. It also much prefers light and fluffy snow to the stuff that builds up at the end of the driveway from the snow plow. In a perfect world, its deflector would be adjustable to give at least a bit of an angle to the toss. But those are mostly quibbles over an $80 snow thrower.

The big snow last week, I spent three hours shoveling the driveway, with help some of the time from my son and some from my wife. This morning, I did the whole thing myself in just over an hour, and I'm not nearly as wiped out from the hour. The handle length is really the only design flaw that I feel could be fixed at this price point, but it's a real issue. If they fix that, I'll happily revise to 5 stars, and start giving them out as presents to all my friends!
11 comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2011
I live in a row home in a major city on the East Coast. I bought this thinking that it would peed up the clearing of my sidewalk and to dig out my cars on the street. The shovel works very in deep snow and is light enough not kill your back. The biggest drawback is that there is no way to control the speed of the blade. As a result, the shovel creates a 25 foot plum snow, which makes maneuvering the shovel very difficult. I spent a lot of my time ensuring that I didn't pepper my neighbor's house with snow or shooting the snow into the street.
0Comment37 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2011
This product performed above and beyond what was stated. I had 7 inches of snow and it moved it all! I think i'm in love! it is not too heavy so you can do steps and different levels without difficulty.
on December 30, 2010
we live in sw colorado, so this was a great purchase. my husband LOVES it, we got dumped on with snow this morning...so it came just in time
looking to purchase some added items from this company later on,
added bonus that they are a green friendly company
best buy of the year
33 comments19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2011
I am a widow women going on five years now. I use to shovel my deck but thanks to the Greenworks Electric Snow Thrower it is a breeze shoveling the deck. Great price and FREE SHIPPING ALSO.

Greenworks 26012 12-Inch 7 Amp Electric Snow Thrower
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
lighter and easier to use than I expected, very nice and a welcome and affordable change from the shoveling required in Minnesota
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2011
WARNING: THIS REVIEW WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE WHO IS LAZY, HATES TO SHOVEL, KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MACHINERY AND WAS HOPING FOR A MIRACLE

After several big storms and hearing a co-worker rave about his Turo Snow Shovel, I decided that would be my next purchase. At the time, the Turo model was selling for 80% more than this Greenworks model. The differences on paper seemed minor...after all, what's 2 pounds and .5 Amps? I kind of discounted the 4 versus 6 inch claim given people said they were able to push through slightly deeper snowfalls. (Yes, I am one of those who can justify just about any purchase and I wanted one of these things NOW).

As Murphy's law would have it, the last major snowfall was the day before my snow thrower arrived and the weather is now warming. But last night, several inches did fall providing the perfect condition to give my new Greenworks Snow Thrower it's maiden run. To set the conditions: Several inches of wet/heavy snow. We have a larger front deck...with wide granite steps and a flagstone walkway the size of a small driveway leading up to it. (Our driveway that goes around the house can park 6 cars in the back - my husband does that with snow blower and I usually end up doing the deck/walkway by hand..hence the purchase).

Porch - 3 stars - the porch is surrounded by a 3 foot high stone wall. While it did a reasonable job clearing parts of porch, it required a lot of maneuvering and throwing the snow over the wall presented a challenge. As I got closer to the wall, I would try to angle the snow higher but when I did this, the snow wouldn't go forward enough and would just land back on areas of the porch already cleared. In the end, I decided it was as clear as it was going to get and used a manual shovel for cleanup. Verdict: The snow thrower was helpful but not enough to make it worthwhile.

Steps - 2 stars - our steps are long and wide enough where using the snow shovel would make sense. The problem is that the snow thrower doesn't do well when the snow is packed down from standing on it. It worked to a fair degree but not clear enough where you wouldn't have to go over the entire thing with a shovel after. Verdict: Not much savings in terms of effort.

Walkway - 5 stars - the wide walkway with no obstructions, surrounded by lawn on both sides is where this machine proved it's worth, especially when the snow is heavy as it was today. It was easy to direct the snow where I wanted and it would clear down the the flagstone in one or two sweeps. Finally, I was happy with my purchase decision.

Summary: In the end, the machine did about as good a job as my first pass with a manual snow shovel (e.g. my husband still had to go back and do some cleanup). While it made shoveling the walkway a breeze, it only facilitated the effort in other areas.

A few other notes:

- This machine is heavier and a little more difficult to maneuver than I would have hoped. It took some getting used to. It's better for wide open areas..the weight and the trigger hold/release system doesn't make this effortless when working in areas requiring a lot of maneuvering. I know people talk about doing deeper snow in layers...I haven't tried this yet but it seems that this will require some arm muscle to pull off.
- You need a wide area in which you can throw the snow as this doesn't have the control of a large snow blower. Nor is it great when you want to throw the snow over walls.
- I am just over 5' tall and found myself extending the handle. It seems to me that this might be an issue for someone who is tall (but then the weight of the machine might not be as much an issue for them).
- This is just based on one use. But today's snow seemed to describe the conditions this device was designed for.

I'm giving it 4 stars because it really does what it claims well. You just need to understand the limitations. I think my hopes/expectations were too high based on my co-worker's raves and wanting to justify this purchase. It only replaces the snow shovel in some places where our larger snow blower can't go. That being said, even a more powerful/functional snow blower requires a lot of stopping/adjusting/clearing.

I don't have the Turo to compare it to so this part of my review is just my hypothetical conclusion: From pictures, it looks like the Turo might throw the snow higher (seems like the hood has more of an arc upwards than the Greenworks) which would work better for my porch. Plus 2 lbs lighter now seems more relevant as using the snow shovel requires more lifting/maneuvering than I had thought. It seems the only feature benefit of the Greenworks model seems to be the longer warranty. With winter nearing its end, the Turo snow shovel is fluctuating around $99 bringing the difference to $20. While I am not regretting my purchase, I kind of wish I waited.

Here's the Turo model my friend has: