1,431
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"Change
Price:$195.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 15, 2010
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"Verified Purchase
So I ordered this model even though it had no reviews at the time. I was looking at the comparable Toro and Snowjoe models, but couldn't bring myself to buy either since there were so many negative reviews in addition to the positive ones.

I went with the Greenworks for two reasons:
1) The 4-year Warranty
2) The 20" width

Well, let me say that so far I feel I absolutely made the right choice.
The unit looks great, and seems to be built with very high quality parts.
How it was packaged was also excellent. There's no way this baby's going to get damaged in delivery like I heard about with the competitors.
The only negative was that Greenworks actually went overboard with their packing... They actually put the unit together by screwing directly through the plastic covers that go on the parts so I couldn't get all the plastic off the pieces without taking some pieces apart.
I see this as no big deal as again it is their effort to make sure everything is protected for delivery but just letting everyone know about it.

Once built (very easy to do I might add), the machine is very easy to maneuver since it has quite large rubber wheels. I know there have been negative reviews about the Toro due to the cheap tiny wheels. No issue here!
The handle is adjustable to 3 levels (I'm 6'2") and I was able to make it comfortable for my height.

Well I had to wait a week until the snow came, but come it sure did! I live in northeast Ohio, so the last few days have been a downpouring of the white stuff.
I had purchased 2 50-foot outdoor cords rated at 13 amp (this unit is 12 so we're fine).
I also purchased some Snow Jet non-stick coating spray and used it per the directions prior to the first use. I had read about it as a way to avoid the snow clogging in the thrower or chute while working.
The first time I used this thrower, I noticed how easily it moved the snow. The chute is very easy to adjust in direction, and it easily shoots at leat 6-10 feet so you're able to make sure you don't shoot snow over an area you've already worked on.
Once I got used to it, I was able to do the whole driveway and walk in 15 minutes the second time. Piece of cake!
The snow was soft the first time but a mixture of wet snow and ice the second time. This made no difference it worked just as well. It also worked perfectly on the slush at the bottom of the driveway where the street plows make that big mess all the time.

The blades are steel covered with rubber, and it really hugs the ground and pulls the snow off.
I'm not going to say it will get you to bare ground in all spots, but it sure tries and it's more than good enough to get your vehicles in and out which is the main purpose right?
I mean if you want to get the bottom layer of ice completely off you'll need rock salt and a shovel anyway.
This thing did get some of the ice off, but I didn't want to push too hard to get it to do that and possibly damage the blades.

Bottom line is that I got this for $200 on Amazon and I already feel it's my top purchase of the year. I had a Snowjoe 12" snowbroom last year and it broke, then I had to do the old shovel routine. It would take me at least 2 hours to do my driveway and walk last year.
Now, with twice having at least 6 inches of snow on the driveway, I was done in 15 minutes and back in the warm house.
As long as the wind was in my favor, I didn't get too much snow on me and certainly saved my back.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with this one. I only hope its longevity matches its performance so far, but with a 4-year warranty, I can afford to take that chance.

It didn't hurt that Amazon gave me free shipping and it showed up the NEXT DAY!
I did not pay for overnight and I got this the next day after I ordered it. I still don't know how that was possible but I'm not complaining!
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2011
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"Verified Purchase
I've used a similar Toro 1800 for 8 years to clear a driveway in NH. It's been great, but I just did a side-by-side test with this, and it powered through dense snow I piled up for testing with no problem, and actually threw the snow further (GreenWorks 19 feet; Toro 14 feet). And the features and build quality seem better than my old Toro. I thought that meant that, together with the 4-year warranty and the lower price compared to the Toro, this was a clear winner. But now I see that Toro has upped the ante--they have just this year improved their electric model 1800, and now both units have some of the same advantages compared to my old Toro. The right decision might be different for different people, but the Greenworks is very attractive at this price.

The two Toro 1800s are the old Toro 1800 18-Inch 12 Amp Electric Curve Snow Thrower #38025 and the new Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower. The main advantage of the Toros over the Greenworks is that they are lighter--25 lbs for the new Toro 1800 vs. 37 lbs for the Greenworks. For smaller, weaker people the Toro could be easier to handle. Or, for things like clearing steps or decks, you can easily lift the Toro to do that. You can lift the Greenworks too, but I think I'd opt to just use a shovel before I'd bother with lifting the Greenworks.

Since I got the Greenworks, we've only gotten a light snow , but to test the GreenWorks side-by-side with the (old) Toro, I pushed all the snow in the top 1/3 of my driveway into a pile as high as their front openings (both about a foot), and tried powering through with each. Both went through easily. The Greenworks threw most of the snow about 19 feet; the Toro about 14.5 feet.

Since that hadn't been a challenge for either, I then used the Greenworks to collect lots of snow into one area, and then shoveled that into a deeper pile. At that point, the snow was getting extremely dense, from going through the snowblower once or twice and being piled up. That pile was harder to get through with either machine. The motors were both powerful enough that the rotors didn't get bogged down. However, pushing the machines into the dense pile is hard work--unlike big gas machines, these aren't self propelled. And jamming the GreenWorks into the dense pile was harder. Not to the point where there was any question that it was up to the job--just that I had to back out and roll in again more times, and each of those was more work with a heavier machine. At the time, I assumed that it was harder to push the Greenworks in mainly because it's wider. But upon looking at the Toro website, I see that they explain that their funny "powercurve" blade shape is intended to help pull the machine into the snow. I think that works to help make it easier to get through really dense snow.

All in all, I expect that clearing a large driveway with a heavy snow would be about as much work with either. With the Greenworks, you can make fewer passes since it does a little wider swath each time, but you are handling a heavier piece of equipment so it's more work. So I consider them equal on performance. But that's with the old Toro--the new one is rated to draw 15 A instead of 12 A, so presumably it's a little more powerful, although the current rating doesn't prove anything.

So next consider features and quality. Comparing them side-by-side, I thought the Greenworks had better build quality and features..but then I looked at the new Toro and some of the improvements in the Greenworks are also in the new Toro! For example:
-Wheels: Greenworks has the biggest wheels, but the new Toro has wheels almost as big, vs. the dinky ones on the old Toro.
-Both have a handle that is easy to take off or fold for summer storage, unlike the old Toro.
And the new Toro has some other nice improvments like better chute adjustment mechanisms.

But the Greenworks has some nice advantages too:
-Better quality safety switch system on the GreenWorks. It's both easier to hold on, and harder to accidentally activate. It's actually quite possible to accidentally activate the Toro if you carry it by the handle that has the switch. The Toro has a plastic key that is a good way to prevent kids from playing with it, but that only helps if you bother to take the key out, and are you really going to do that?
-Metal blade (with rubber bumpers) on the Greenworks vs. all plastic on the Toro.
-Adjustable handle height--slightly taller than the Toro at the tallest setting and has two steps lower available.
-Circuit breaker built in--probably makes it less likely to burn out the motor.
-Sturdier handle with more steel and less plastic, compared to the Toro.
The Greenworks also has a better anchor point for the cord to prevent it pulling out of the plug, compared to the old Toro, but I can't really tell how that's set up on the new one. In any case, it's nice on the Greenworks.

Both of them require minor assembly. I can't remember much about assembling the Toro, but I was very impressed by the way the GreenWorks was packaged, with the parts you need for each thing attached right where you need them, and most of them requiring no tools. I'm used to getting a bag of parts with a confusing diagram, making asembly a puzzle. None of that here--very clear how it goes together and very quick.

Durability might be an issue to consider. I know that the Toro held up well, though not indefinitely. After 7 winters it needed the switch replaced--inexpensive but a pain to take apart. The Greenworks is somewhat unproven...but the fact that it comes with a steel blade and a 4 year warranty means it might be considerably better than the Toro.

Comparing them side-by-side makes them both seem impressive: the Toro for packing so much power in a small, light unit (and the new one might be even more powerful), but the GreenWorks is impressive for being more solidly built, having lots of details done nicely and being an amazing bargain at 2/3 the price with double the warranty.

I uploaded some pictures of them side-by-side--you can see them below the main picture on the product page.

Update: After a few years, none of my assessment above has changed, but I find myself choosing the Toro most of the time, just because it's lighter. The decision probably comes down to the tradeoff between weight and cost--the Greenworks is a real bargain if you don't mind the weight.
review image review image review image
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"
Yes, I finally got to test this on heavy snowfall and it works great. Cord is a minor hassle. Be sure to buy a LONG cord rated for cold weather. The video shows it plowing through 8.5" snowfall.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2011
Size Name: 9 Amp 16"Verified Purchase
I had ordered the Greenworks 16inch Snow Thrower and overnighted it. We're in South Dakota in the middle of a three day blizzard and I was sick and tired of snowing. It came 2 hours ago. I had it put together and outside working within 15 minutes. It actually took me longer to put my snow pants on. I have a 2 1/2 car driveway and I live on a corner lot so I have a lot of pavement to clear. We (my niece and I) got the entire area cleaned in an hour. We are talking around 15 inches of snow, and 10 inches of it was 3 days old. The snowthrower had no problem clearning anything and didn't catch on the pavement and did everything I wanted it to do! The best part was it started every single time with no problems at all. I used to have a huge gas powered snow blower that had all kinds of gears and reverse, and I have to say I prefer the Greenworks handsdown!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2010
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"Verified Purchase
We ordered this on a Saturday and it arrived the following Wednesday. Two days later we are in the midst of a 20inch snowfall/blizzard. This machine works like a charm. We chose it for the 4 year warranty. We see now that it's a very capable machine and perfect for an old-fashioned Minnesota blizzard. It took less than 5 minutes to assemble and can be used even by someone with severe back and neck limitations. Highly recommended!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2010
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"Verified Purchase
I will start by saying I am a female and the primary user of this snow blower. I had an OLD Toro that I always fought with to start because either my arm isn't long enough or I just don't have the upper body strength to start the thing. I wanted something easy for me to start and that would help me through a Cleveland (Ohio) winter. After looking at several models - the price, size of the deck and warranty sold me on this machine.

When the machine arrived, I was able to carry it into my house to assemble it (so the machine is pretty light). I think it took me longer to unpack the machine than it did to put it together. After assembling, I was able to lift the machine back up and move it to it's spot in the garage.

When we got our first snow, I thought to put this machine into action. It took some getting used to on not to trip/unplug the cord, but I think I finally got that part down (I knew it had a cord when I ordered it, so I'm not rating this snow thrower any less because my clumsy behavior). As promised, it chewed through the snow easily! It's about as loud as a shop vac, so I don't feel TOO terrible using it at 6:00am because I doubt it'll wake my neighbors. It's easy to push and maneuver. I am overall very happy with the machine!!

EDIT 2/6/2014: My machine still runs as good as the day I got it! Several of my neighbors have been inquiring about my little snow thrower after they've been having problems with theirs. Several of my friends and family have also purchased this machine knowing how much I like it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2011
Size Name: 12 Amp 20"
I bought this unit to replace my Snow Joe 622U1 that blew apart and would not be warrantied by Snow Joe. Turns out the 2 year warranty doesn't cover the main plastic housing. I just used it to remove 6" of snow this past weekend so I will do a first impression review.

Some people were complaining that the factory wrapped the handles in plastic and then assembled everything. This makes it impossible to remove the plastic unless you unscrew everything. This isn't really a big deal and is merely an aesthetic complaint. I tend to be picky so I loosened a few nuts and screws so I could remove all the plastic wrap.

Others complained about the smell of the snow blower. The smell is actually coming from the rubber wheels and is not unusual. It dissipates after a while and within a few minutes our cats were playfully jumping in and out of the empty box.

The unit appeared to be packaged very well and nothing was damaged during shipping. It was shipped to me in the factory packaging.

Out of the box the entire unit appears to be very sturdy for what it is.

The handle assembly on the GreenWorks is MUCH beefier than the Snow Joe 622U1. It also feels like it is just a tad bit longer which is good for someone 6ft like me. There is a foam grip and time will tell how long this will last. The thing I love most about the handle on the GreenWorks is that all I need to do is loosen the handle bolts and un-clip the auger rod and the entire assembly can be folded forward for transportation. I take the snow blower to my Mother's house in the trunk of my car so this is a big feature to me.

The on/off controls are pretty simple. Someone complained that they wouldn't be able to easily manipulate the handle when wearing gloves. I tried it with winter gloves and didn't have an issue whatsoever. Basically, the way it works is that you slide a switch left and it pushes the handle out of the switch housing so you can squeeze it and activate the auger. When using the blower I tend to keep the handle halfway depressed to save time. My electric lawn mower uses the same type of switch.

The auger is a bit smaller than the 622U1 but it is also combination of steel and rubber so it should be very strong. Like the 622U1 the GreenWorks uses nylock nuts to hold everything together so I would STRONGLY suggest you check them before each and EVERY use. If those bolts let loose the auger will surely punch a hole through the case of the unit. Nylock nuts are notorious for loosening when exposed to freezing temps.

The discharge chute on the GreenWorks isn't quite as good as the 622U1 but seems to be a bit stronger. On the 622U1 you can adjust the angle that snow leaves the chute. The GreenWorks has this ability as well but as soon as snow hits the deflector it goes to the fully upright position. The 622U1 was a little bit better at not doing this. The 622U1 would eventually deflect but not as easy as the GreenWorks. Also out of the box it was very difficult to turn the rod that rotates the discharge chute. I put some petroleum jelly on the mechanism and now it rotates very smoothly. GreenWorks could stand to do a little further R&D on their discharge chute. With the chute facing forward I was easily throwing snow 30ft. However, when turned to either the left or right a lot of the distance is lost. Turned full left or right snow was only throwing about 12ft or so. This is still plenty to clear a driveway.

The GreenWorks has a pigtail for the electrical connection which is critical when you're dealing with heavy gauge extension cords and vibration. On one occasion my extension cord caught fire while using the Snow Joe because the plug is molded into the handle. Combine a heavy cord, cold temps, and vibration and the cord is guaranteed to vibrate itself loose. This causes a voltage drop/current increase which makes things get really hot. The pigtail helps negate the vibration. As long as the cord is tied around the handle you shouldn't have any problems. Also on the handle is the reset button. If the unit overheats you can push the button to reset it.

The wheels on the GreenWorks are very sturdy and much larger than the 622U1. This makes the unit quite a bit more stable and lets me not worry about breaking a wheel. The 622U1 wheels are only about 4" tall and are made of pretty thin plastic. Due to their size as soon as I would run them through heavy snow it would build up on the wheels and keep them from spinning. This makes it more difficult to push the unit. The GreenWorks wheels are a combination of plastic and rubber. I don't expect them to give me any problems.

I find the scraper on the GreenWorks to be a bit better than the 622U1. The GreenWorks unit does a much better job of scraping down to the pavement. Use this thing on rocks or dirt and you will certainly suck a lot of it up.

I took off the access panel and the auger drive pulley is built a lot thicker than on the 622U1. On my 622U1 this pulley shattered into dozens of pieces when the auger blade let loose. Also, the belt tensioner pulley is steel unlike the 622U1 which uses plastic.

The GreenWorks is definitely heavier than the 622U1. Some people might not like this fact but I am of the opposite opinion. The heavier weight is due to the more robust construction. It also has a 4 year warranty vs the standard 2 year.

After my experience with the Snow Joe I will definitely not be buying another one of their products. The GreenWorks 26032 is just a much better built product.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2011
Size Name: 8 Amp 12"Verified Purchase
I have used this item twice since purchase--a 2 inch and a 4 inch snowfall. It does an excellent job of throwing loose snow from my driveway. The only problem I have noticed is that the plastic scraper (also known as the snow spade) wears down rapidly. I am using the thrower on a concrete drive and pushing it across the concrete is like grinding the plastic away. Replacement scrapers are $20 so I hope I don't have to replace it several times a year. It seems to me that the scraper should have a metal wear surface that would hold up better than the plastic. I am in the process of trying to design aluminum "skid" for that purpose.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2012
Updated 5/9/14:

I received the snowblower before I received my extension cord, so I'll begin with the assembly. The box arrived in good shape, and the blower was easy to unpack from its box. There are two handle pieces and the chute deflector packed on top of the snowblower itself. Everything was in good condition, but when I was unpacking it I discovered a washer and a nut in the bottom of the box. This went to the O-ring for the chute deflector handle. I also found a machine screw in the box, and was unable to locate where it had been removed from. So make sure to CHECK YOUR BOX FOR LOOSE NUTS AND BOLTS!

The handle was easy to assemble, and based on other people's worries about vibrations causing things to come loose, I applied some lok-tite onto the threads for the chute deflector handle and the bottom handle assembly. Everything fit together perfectly, and the reviews about the handle being covered in plastic before assembly was not the case with the blower I received. I could unwrap everything before assembling. You may want to apply lock-tite to some of the nuts and bolts, otherwise you may lose them with the vibrations of the machine in operation. Greenworks is great about providing replacements, but better safe than sorry.

The extension cord arrived, and though we don't have any really fresh snow, it did snow 2 days ago. Good time to test it out on wet mucky snow and see how it works. There was still a bank of snow at the bottom of our driveway, and the snowblower handled it well! Since it was solid and wet, it took some effort to push it into the bank, but it chewed through it with little other problems. Even though the snow was wet, it tossed it a very good distance (about 15 feet). Though if you're not feeding it enough snow (under 3 inches) it just sort of bubbles up and lands on top of the blower itself.

I had no issues operating the handle switch, though it does feel a little bit flimsy. There is a conveniently located loop on the back of the switch so that you can make a slack knot to ensure that your extension cord does not get pulled out of the plug on accident. It sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a snow blower, a high whine, and it squeaks VERY LOUDLY when it stops. That's most likely due to the belt, so don't be alarmed if yours makes that noise as well. After 3 years of operation, this has pretty much stopped.

A very important thing is that it is light and easy to maneuver. Our driveway is at a 10-15 degree incline, so this will work wonders when we're clearing with it, as it won't take us running down the hill after it. All in all, so far it has performed well and I am confident that if we get a blizzard before winter is over, I'll now be able to handle it without breaking my back.

UPDATE 1/25/12: Winter finally arrived in Michigan - we've had several snows leaving anywhere from 4 to 8 inches and even up to 11-12 inches in drifts on our driveway. This snow-blower has handled them all. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST to avoid the ice lockup of the chute that you spray WD-40 in there and move it back and forth before you start blowing - every time. This will prevent the ice from building up in there until you are done.

The only complaint I have about this machine is how it handles smaller amounts of snow. If you try to blow anything under about 3" it will just bubble out the top onto the snow blower and maybe a few feet away. Makes a mess until you get into deeper piles. However it still throws a good 2-3 feet at that point. When you get into deeper drifts, this thing really flings the snow! I've discovered you can counteract the small snow performance by moving faster through the snow so it has more to throw. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and hope that it continues to operate well through the years!

UPDATE 1/22/13: Snowblower is still working fine. I may need to replace the blade on the bottom after this season - it doesn't seem like it's getting down to the pavement as well as it used to. Otherwise, it still throws and clears the snow just great!

UPDATE 2/20/13: At some point during this season I failed to check the bolts on the thrower chute and they rattled loose and I lost them, so one side of the chute no longer is attached properly. As you can imagine this makes snowblowing kind of difficult. However, I called the company and they have sent replacement bolts to me free of charge! Awesome service from Greenworks and I can still use my snowblower!

UPDATE 4/19/13: I wanted to remark again how awesome their customer service has been. I needed to replace the blade (which is plastic, and had worn down from continued use) so I simply called them up, gave them a model number and one was sent to me. It cost $20. It was easy to replace - pop off the old one pop on the new one. Other than that, it still works like a charm. Looking forward to many seasons with this blower.

UPDATE 2/3/14: So I was very sad that this machine may have finally bitten the dust. We've had a hell of winter so far here in Michigan - 10 - 12" of snow in waves and this machine handled it all like a champ, even when the drifts were 3 times higher than the machine itself. That is, until I hit a block of ice hidden in the snowbank. The machine locked up, and once restarted now has an alarming wiggle and no longer throws the snow like it should. I have diagnosed it to the point that the impeller blade is bent and I was dreading the replacement cost. I just called Greenworks and the part is 37 DOLLARS. Only 37 dollars!! That's insanely cheap! I don't have to buy a new snowblower! Again, their customer service and warranty is REMARKABLE!!

5/9/14: Replacing the impellor blade was much harder than I initially thought; in fact it's almost impossible to the point that I was minutes from taking it to a shop or throwing this away. First, the instructions in the manual omit the fact that there's a bolt on both sides of the impellor. Second, the bolt requires an 8 sided socket, which I couldn't find locally. In the end I had to take my dremel tool to it to make it a size I could manage. Even then it was covered in red lok-tite and took a breaker bar to eventually get moving. Yeesh!! At least now I know that the belt and pulleys are in good shape because I had to tear down the whole drive mechanism to get this part replaced. I am happy, however, that I fixed it and it's ready for another season.
review image review image review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2011
New Review:
The first day I got my snow thrower it worked fine, it had been warm inside while being built and all was good. I went outside, blew some snow and it worked great, see old review below for how nicely that went. I put it in the garage and a few days later we got a few inches of snow and I just went out to remove it. I immediately tried moving the shoot and didn't even crank the handle hard and the damn thing popped off. Now the snow thrower shoot can't be moved. The handle is metal, but forks to thin tongs, that easily bent, which connect to a plastic block that kinda looks like a lego. The shoot has a tiny bit of ice on it, but not much at all. If you don't have a heated garage this things probably going to keep breaking on you. If you do have a heated garage it's a crap shoot. This machine is surprisingly well built for the price, but the few design flaws it has are going to kill it.

Old Review:

This snow thrower is great. I'll start with two points though: It is now a 2 stage 600 dollar snow blower. It won't cut through 2 feet of snow like it's not there. It has a 3 prong (grounded) power system. Anyone who's bought a power cable in the last 10 years won't care, but I had to buy a new cable (30 dollars at Walmart). I didn't care but if your tight on money this could be a problem. I bought a medium weight 13 amp cable and it works fine. What it is:

This little guy is light, I assembled it upstairs and carried it outside with ease. I'd say around 35-40 lbs. Assembly was fairly easy and straight forward. Putting the shoot hood on takes working with a few small parts so if you have shaky hands that one step may take you a little longer.

This machine is quiet. I'm post concussion and noise really bothers me, this is not as noisy as a vacuum cleaner.

This works brilliantly on concrete. My sidwalk/driveway has about a half inch of caked on ice/snow and it went over that and blew the extra 1.5 inch off that was above the caked on. Wheels move easily, the machine has a great center of balance, and you'll hardly notice it's not self propelled. Off of concrete it's a bit harder, since the wheels will sink into snow a bit, but this should come as no supprise.

Since blowing an inch of snow off concrete just wasn't a good enough test for me, I decided to try it against the banks in the yard to clear a spot for my garbage can. Test Conditions: Fargo, ND. 45 inches of snow so far this year. Snow: 2 feet, semi-compacted. Had rained a few weeks ago so some good portions of ice are mixed in. Snow thrower: I slide it against the bank, it went in about 3 inches and then would stop. I'd wait till snow stopped coming out, back up, go in again. I cleared a 4ft by 4ft hole in about 5 minutes with little trouble. Moving the iced snow from that spot with a shovel would have hurt.

End result: I can't believe this thing works, but it does, and it seems sturdy. I love that it's not 600 dollars like a full on snowblower and I really love that I don't have to crank on the thing to get it started.
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations