Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Before we get too far into the review...ask yourself this question, "Am I buying a Greenworks Hedge Trimmer WITH or WITHOUT a battery?" The reason is that they are sold both ways, and for people like me, who already have a Greenworks 40V Lithium ion battery a bare tool will work fine... others may end up with a great hedge trimmer and no way to power them! So make sure you recognize if you are buying a "Bare Tool" or one that includes the tool, battery, and charger (the one with the charger and batery will cost 4x over the bare tool).

Now on to the review.

The Greenworks 40V Lithium Ion 22 inch Hedge Trimmer is EXCELLENT. Trimming the hedges is one of my least favorite activities. I am not a fan of gas powered trimmer and corded trimmers require the use of extension cords (and the fact that I cut through my extension cord about 25% of the time!). Black and Decker has made rechargeable hedge trimmers for years, but they were always severely lacking both power and run time. Every time you hit a twig that was greater than 1/8" (or there about) the trimmer would jam.

The Greenworks 40V Lithium Ion trimmer eliminates all of these problems. The 40V 4Ah battery has plenty of power and run time. You can see it in the video, but the Greenworks trimmer allows me to cut through my Holly bush with ease.

- Weight - the unit isn't exactly light... plus the battery (which is about the size of a brick), but it is not so heavy that you will get fatigued from your trimming job

- The head is adjustable - you can see this in the video, but this is a very nice feature. It allows you to twist the head so that you can trim perpendicular to ground. It may not sound like much, but it helps save the strain on your back from having to twist in order to trim the sides of your hedges. This feature alone makes the Greenworks worth its price.

- Battery life - Is very good - I never actually measured the run time (Because you frequently go on/off as you cut through your hedges) but the 4Ah battery has lots of life.

- Cutting Power - Again, it is much better than the old Black & Decker rechargeable models... you can see in the video, but I have yet to have a problem.

- Functionality - I have not noticed any hidden annoyances in the trimmer, such as too much vibration, hard to squeeze triggers, or other run time issues.

- Battery - The Greenworks 40V fits other Greenworks tools, such as the lawn mower, blower, and lawn trimmer

-Durability - So far I have not had an issue, but it is early - I will update the review if I come across an issue.

Final Verdict - While it may be difficult to justify buying the Hedge Trimmer, Battery, and Charger for this purpose ALONE - but since there are other tools that require the same battery, it is VERY EASY to justify the Hedge Trimmer if you own another Greenworks 40V product. Buy with confidence

5 Stars
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
This one sold from this vendor doesn't come with the battery nor the charger so make sure you understand that off the bat. The price is $49.99 plus shipping is done by FedEx I got it in 2-days. I am using the Greenworks 24102A Leaf Blower 40v 4 amp ion-battery with this one. Until I can get another battery and two more chargers. I also have the Greenworks 25292 19-inch Lawn Mower 40v 4 amp that has dual ion-batteries only one charger. Anyway these products are fun to use.

This hedger has adjustable head, that's important for me where I don't have flip my two hands around in angle.

Right now the current 40v 4 amp ion-battery last about 35+ minutes.

Full updated report will come after using this device today!

Update 4.25.12
Gave this 5 stars.. Works perfect I was able to cut my over grown Cherry Shrubs along with some ferns that turned into huge mushroom type about 7 ft tall but I was more concern cutting it in a rounder shape. Thank to the adjustable head I was able too. Press the button in and turn left or right. Don't get this on RYOBI 24-inch hedger 40v 4 amp. Greenworks you! Battery life as exceeded and still 3 out of 4 bar lights are left. I even kept on swapping between the Green Leaf Blower 40v 4 amp and this model with the 40v 4 amp ion-battery.

Update 5.20.12
I've notice that the unit was damage when I got it as the box it came in had oil stain on it. Where I only used it once starting making a metal on metal noise. That means the getting enough oil to the motor. Also where I kept it on was some boxes and when I had lifted it up there it was a huge oil stain. So this arrived defective. I've contacted the seller and they have already arranged a replacement. 2-day ship back to them at their expensive and 1 day return. Total down time was 3 days. Good service and better packing on the new replacement.
on August 21, 2013
I'm sure this is a great tool if you have the right battery. Buyers beware, this tool only works with specific models of the Greenworks 40V battery, and they are not included in the listing. This tool is not compatible with the G-Max 40V Greenworks battery!
on December 11, 2012
I purchased this product since I got the lawn mower which came with two batteries. The trimmer works very well. Before this I was using an electric trimmer with a cord. Going cordless is amazing. It is much easier to navigate around the house to get to all the bushes with this tool.

The cutting power of this tool does not lack even after using the tool for 45 min stretches. As other reviewers have stated, the tool is a tad hefty with the large Greenworks battery attached. It is still very light considering it is battery powered with a long life battery. The battery does a good job of balancing the tool and I found it a lot easier to handle than any corded model. To make things easier it does have an adjustable head which helps a lot when shaping bushes.

Overall this is a great tool and I am very happy with it. I also have the Greenworks edger/trimmer and their current largest lawnmower which also work well. When you get them all together, they a pretty good value and it is easy to swap the battery between them. I would recommend the Greenworks products to others.
on August 8, 2012
Handyman by trade and use cordless tools daily. I have had two other cordless hedge trimmers in the past and they have worked well. This is the only 40v I have ever owned and it works incredibly. I only buy the best tools and decided to give these a try because I hate corded tools as well as the maintenance required for gas tools. This is the perfect solution. It has plenty of power to cut through your hedges and I guarantee you wont run out of battery power. With one battery I edge my lawn, blow off the driveway, trim all my hedges, and even cut down a 12" oak tree and cut it into 7 logs. Every homeowner that does their own yard work should own these products. ZERO carbon footprint on all their tools. They work great and have the best warranty of any other yard have nothign to lose.
on September 28, 2012
I have three of GreenWorks products 40 volt:line trimmer, 17"mower & hedge trimmer
They all work great with plenty power to spare for my average size city lot.

thanks GreenWorks,& Thank you AMOZON: for all the quality products that you carry, Mike
on March 12, 2013
This product works great for small trimming and pruning requirements. I would not recommend it for heavy duty trimming of shrubs with twig sizes exceeding a half inch. Nevertheless, it is a nice addition to the 40V Lithium-Ion family of products.
on August 28, 2012
Light, easy to use, just swing and go, has cut down our trimming from 6hrs with a 12v timmer and the tractor running to no tractor running and job done in 1 1/2hrs. Uses common battery as with other Greenworks tools.
on October 21, 2013
If you're like me , you've cut more than one cord with a hedge trimmer, no matter how careful you are. This trimmer is a great alternative. It's not as powerful as an electric trimmer, but it's so much more convenient than a corded model. The RPMs are lower than an electric trimmer but what's the rush? I use it for shaping shrubs like globe cedars and have cut branches almost as thick as my little finger. I can trim 8 shrubs and use only 1/4 of the battery. The 22" blade is good for my purposes. Ideal would be 20". The swivel head is a great idea. It's one of those "you don't what you're missing until you have it" situations.
on October 7, 2013
I've owned this hedge trimmer as well as the pole trimmer for a few months now and have trimmed all hedges, and I have many, 3 times so far and the battery still shows it is half full. While the trimmer's speed is not what a corded one is, it cuts through Azaleas, Potocarpus, Hollies, vibernums and boxwoods perfectly. I just ordered the blower and should post a review in a few months.