Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2007 8:04:40 AM PST
As the authors of Firms of Endearment, we wanted to be the first to post to this discussion site provided by Amazon.com. Thanks for checking in.

We are anxious to learn about and learn from our readers' reactions to Firms of Endearment (FoE). Many people who read advance copies of the pre-publication manuscript said they found our book deeply inspiring. Several advance readers told us that they took the manuscript to bed with them to scan and ended up spending the entire night reading it.

Our vision for FoE from the very beginning was to inspire, not to instruct. The deep learning could come later, once people became intrigued with the ongoing moral restructuring of companies worldwide to make themselves intentional contributors to a better world. This is exemplified in Jeff Immelt's (CEO of GE) comment that today, to be a great company, you have to first be a good company - good for the environment, good for society, good for everyone you touch.

We set out in this book to inspire readers in all walks of life to become active contributors to the social transformation of capitalism taking place. We believe this historic event represents the biggest wave of change in capitalistic thinking since Adam Smith published The Wealth of Nations in 1776.

Our view is that the future of humankind rests more in the hands of free market enterprises than in government. This view draws from the inevitable burdens on public budgets created by aging societies the world over, leaving less money for social agendas. With the rising scale and scope of corporate power, and high levels of effectiveness and efficiency attainable in well-functioning free markets, companies are in a position to do more - profitably - for society than ever before. Many companies have already developed strategies and policies for contributing to making the world a better place-and have learned that they usually end up with a strong edge over their more traditional competitors and outperform for shareholders in the process.

We plan additional writings on this topic and are keenly interested in learning from our readers. Please consider commenting in this space or through our website, www.firmsofendearment.com which has a link to our blog.

Raj Sisodia
David Wolfe
Jag Sheth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2007 6:30:07 PM PST
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to devouring your new book. I am a consultant to C-Level executives and am in the process of completing my Doctorate in Organization Change from Pepperdine University. I have attempted over and over to convince my clients that it is in their best interest to take into consideration society and the environment, that the new generation of consumers demand nothing less. I look forward to being able to use your work to add credibility to my arguments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2007 12:20:36 PM PST
Thank you for your interest, Don. We look forward to receiving your comments in a couple of weeks! Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 9:35:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2007 9:37:14 AM PST
David Wolfe says:
Don, I echo Raj's statement. We firmly believe what the director of teh Institute of the Future recently said: "A massive revolution is in the making, a revolution certain to reshape every organization on the planet from bridge clubs to global governments." Firms of Endearment is about how that revolution is changing our ideas about the fundamental purpose of corporations.

Phillip Kotler, dean of American marketing said this about FoE:

"This book not only challenges capitalism's traditional marketing paradigm but the very "genes" of capitalism. If any book is going to launch a New Capitalism of Caring, it is this book that redefines great companies as stakeholder value builders, not just shareholder agents."

Thanks for your interest -- and support!

David
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose by Rajendra Sisodia (Hardcover - February 10, 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (50)