5.0 out of 5 stars Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail with this
Published 23 months ago by Filipe

2.0 out of 5 stars Zippers not secure
Published 11 months ago by G. G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail with this, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
I just completed my 2012 thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail and carried this pack the whole way. It held up wonderfully especially since I packed 55lbs in it for 6 months straight. Customer service is un-rivaled with Gregory and they really give you the feeling that you're buying more than just a product when you shop with them. With the 3 main factors of a pack, weight, durability and comfort, Gregory is in my opinion the best route you can go. I still have my pack from the trail and have used it on several adventures. I also feel assured that if anything happens to the pack, they will fix or replace it. Like I said, you're buying more than just a product with them. I also loved how the weight was distributed on my back with a correct pack job. For traveling or backpacking, this is your best bet. If you want to check out a complete gear breakdown I made after the A.T., search deandradeuf in youtube and watch my gear guide video. Hope this helps. Happy Trails.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2013 Gregory Z55, fantastic pack with Jetstream LTS, August 28, 2014
Willwonder (West Hills, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
I own and use the 2013 Gregory Z55, it is a fantastic pack with Jetstream LTS suspension. The newer 2014 model changed the hip belt and suspension so my review will be a comparison between the 2 model years. The biggest difference between the 2013 and 2014 model is the hip belt and suspension. The 2013 hipbelt is adjustable and has an HDPE stiff insert to spread the load better into the wings of the belt, I don't believe the 2014 has the stiffener nor is it adjustable which is unfortunate. The 2013 belt has mesh hip bags instead of solid nylon ones on the 2014, the mesh bags are very functional and allows venting to the belt. The 2013 Jetstream suspension uses an HDPE sheet and aluminum stays to transfer the load to the hip belt. With my pack on there is a visible space between my pack and back, also there is a 1/2" space between the mesh backing and visible HDPE sheet beyond. The 2014 'trampoline' suspension uses a perimeter spring wire with mesh material against your back. I don't own the 2014 Z55 but my opinion would be that it would not carry or distribute the load as well. Also, as the load increases in your pack, the spring steel will flex rearward pushing the load further from your center of gravity. With either suspension, it's important to pack your back well so you don't have a large mass far off of your center of gravity. The 2013 Z55 has a narrow profile with a lot of compression straps so this will help the volume stay closer to the centerline of your body.

The other significant change is that the 2014 Z55 has a u shaped access pocket as opposed to the straight side zipper on the 2013. The 'shovel' pocket on the 2013 is huge where as the 2014 pocket is more restricted due to the location of the U shaped access zipper. The 2014 loses the lower pair of side compression straps, the 2013 has them and are useful for securing poles, skiis, and fishing rods. The 2013 Z55 does not come with a pack cover whereas the 2014 includes an integrated one.

I own the large size Z55 which is actually 61 Liters, the perfect volume and size for me, my fully loaded pack for 4 days averages 25lbs. For larger group trips I am often the pack mule and use an old Jansport external frame because for me, loads in excess of 45lbs carry better on an external. I could probably lash on one my kids and still carry comfortably.

Overall, I'm very happy with the 2013 Z55, the Z65 would have been too big so I just have to pack smarter. The 2014 Z55 lost too many of the things I love about the 2013 pack. I chose Gregory because all they do is make packs and have been doing it well for 30 years. The materials are superior as is the craftmanship. I'm 6' tall and 165 LB's the large size fit me perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars utimate hobo pack, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
This pack is extraordary in the application as a main pack for hoboin across america.. it exceeds. Its suspension system is second to none.. durable rugged and gangster.. highly reccomended for hobo action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
This pack is everything it is advertised to be! I can't say enough nice things about it. For me, this pack fits a niche for Spring through Summer (and Fall depending on area of the country) for 3-5 day backpacking trips. If I'm really smart in my packing, I can probably stretch its effectiveness range even further. This pack carries like a dream. I highly recommend it. However, I also recommend getting yourself properly fitted before purchasing online. No matter how nice the pack, if it is not the right size, you'll have a miserable experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zippers not secure, February 16, 2014
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
I used this pack for a few years on several backpacking trips. It worked pretty well. I then took it ice climbing this past weekend. The weather was right around freezing with heavy snow falling on the pack. In the middle of the day, I went to unzip one of the outer pocket zippers and realized that the zipper had completely detached from the pack's fabric. It was apparently only attached with some form of glue that really didn't like that combination of weather conditions. Later in the day a second zipper detached in the exact same way. By the end of the day, both the zipper on the top flap and the back of the pack had come almost completely off and I had to repack loose gear in the main body container, limiting organization options. I'm just glad this happened on a day trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet backpack, June 6, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
I use it on just about ever trip I go on that requires more than an overnight stay. Great quality, comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 5, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
For a first time buyer of a hiking pack its exactly what I was looking for. Waiting to go hiking now! Very compact and packs together well.

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes everything you can give it!, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
This is a great pack--a good size, comfortable, flexible, and the manufacturer seems to have thought of everything--every pull, strap, loop and zipper has a reason. The finish is great. We walked through Ireland for three weeks, through pastures, brambles, beaches, forests, packing and unpacking every night and the pack took everything and emerged in perfect condition. The pack is small and compact enough to fit in the overhead compartment of a commercial airliner, so it is a cheap way to carry everything you really need and do it at the lowest possible cost. And this one model works for men and women with all of its adjustments. We even washed it when we got home and it is as good as new.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful backpack, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Gregory Z55 Backpack (Sports)
It's a wonderful backpack!
A comfortable pack.
I like climbing in a few days.
It's very practical for my plan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 29, 2014