Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

86%
14%

on May 6, 2013
The Gretsch New Yorker Supreme Mandolin G9310 is an all solid mahogany instrument that contrasts with the traditional build of solid spruce top, solid maple back and sides. It does not have the punch or quite the volume of a spruce top but makes up for that lack - if it can be considered that - with a mellow woody tone that is wonderfully resonant and quite pleasing to the ears. Overall the workmanship on mine is very nice. No sloppy joints or glue marks. Nicely cut f holes, good functional tuners, comfortable neck, handsome headstock, beautiful looking wood. There are two exceptions however. First, the top has what feels like little bumps on the surface most likely from inadequate sanding and dust removal between coats of varnish. No imperfections are visible but they can be felt all over the top of the mandolin. When I get a chance I'll smooth over the top with Scratch Out and remove the imperfections. Second, the pick guard is an inferior piece of plastic that is out of place on this otherwise fine looking instrument. I promptly removed it and filled and stained in the two resulting screw holes. They are inconspicuous due to their location and the finish job. Those are quite minor peeves with the instrument and at the price not enough to dissuade me from loving this instrument or giving it a high recommendation. I purchased this from an on line vendor who promised "expert setup." Their words not mine. No set up that I could detect was performed on the Gretsch. I had to carefully remove the nut and file it down as originally there was over 1/8" (.125") between the top of the first fret and bottom of the first string. Try fretting mandolin chords like that !!! I set it up with .013 at the first fret with no buzzing on any of the strings and excellent intonation up and down the fretboard after placing and adjusting the bridge. So there is a caveat for anyone buying this instrument not getting an expert set up from a vendor. You'll either do it yoursef or have to pay a luthier. I enjoy this mandolin as much as a Breedlove I own costing almost five times as much and that is not to detract from the great sound and playability of the Breedlove. The Gretsch is just that good. I give the Gretsch G9310 a five star rating not for hard core bluegrass players but for those wishing to sit at home and play a variety of music for the joy of self entertainment and a truly pleasing sound on an attractive instrument.
88 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2015
Funny to me how reviews on this Mandolin (and I guess just about any other product under the sun) can have such conflicting views. That being said, I am fairly blown away at the quality, playabilty and sound of this instrument...at this price or even higher. Scary what comes out of China these days. I almost feel guilty for buying it. Anyway, if you're a beginer or intermediate player and you need a nice mando to get you through until you can afford a Gibson, this is a great one to buy. My absolute only gripe is that the black plastic pick-guard is not up to the quality of the rest of the mandolin. So, off mine will come. The Gretsch New Yorker is back!
on March 11, 2016
I've seen and heard this mandolin on you tube and really liked the sound. So with that, I ordered one and received it today. This Gretsch Mando is really nice! First I noticed the great fit and finish. No flaws whatsoever. The tuners are much better than my other mandolin and the frets are smooth and even. The only negative is the pickguard. Flimsy and cheap, I took it off. I've been playing this instrument for a couple hours and can't seem to put it down! It stays in tune and I love the mellow tone! I've read some reviews that are not nearly as positive and maybe the quality control at the factory isn't as good as it could be, but this one is great! Im very happy with this instrument. Can't beat the price either!
on April 5, 2013
Great quality, great price and great service! My son loves the mandolin and we will buy again from this vendor.
on February 16, 2013
I did not own this model, but just tried it at local GC today and the beauty and its sound quality really got me.
Being all solid wood, the sound is warm and loud. The neck is very smooth for my left hand, the look is superb, no binding on the edges are needed and this means very high quality workmanship. You got to hold it play it to have this good feel.
I have owned more than a dozen mandolins and this one is the best at this price, can compete with the Kentucky KM-254 (which I owned last year).
It's now on my "to buy list" (after I sell off one of my existing mandolin).
on November 22, 2014
Good choice for the money. Played a much more expensive one the other day and sighed a bit, but this one has good tone and action and keeps in tune for forever. Worth the money.
on September 5, 2013
Piece of junk. Extra glue built up where the neck meets the body. The seems and joints are all uneven. You can even feel little bumps in the finish when you run your fingers over it because it wasn't sanded finely enough before the finish was applied. I returned mine immediately.