4.0 out of 5 stars Early title in the Miss Silver series
Written in 1929, this is either the first or second book in the Miss Silver series (depending on which reference I checked). It's my first read in the series and I expect I'll read a few more -- Miss Silver is a knitter after all.
Published on August 14, 2001 by Carol Peterson Hennekens

3.0 out of 5 stars Main Character Rarely Appears
Well written but no feel for the main character - as if the writer had not decided what to do with her. Plot felt too contrived, too unbelievable.
Published 3 months ago by William

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Early title in the Miss Silver series, August 14, 2001
Carol Peterson Hennekens (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Mask (Hardcover)
This story revolves around an 18 year old girl who may or may not be an heiress. In the meanwhile, a conspiracy appears to exist that threatens the girl's safety. Most of the book focuses on the girl and some acquaintances who take it upon themselves to protect her. One of the friends hires Miss Silver but her appearences are infrequent.
Bottom-line: A good 1920's English mystery for those who are fond of Christie and others. I'm hoping for more Miss Silver in other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely early British cozy, July 5, 2009
Miss Ivonne (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Mask (Hardcover)
The comparison of "Grey Mask" to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple is a natural one, although Miss Silver's debut actually preceded Miss Marple's. Yet, "Grey Mask" put me more in mind of Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn novels. Both are more slyly humorous. Miss Maud Silver, a retired governess with a propensity to quote Tennyson, is also considerably more formidable and professional in aspect than the deceptively fuzzy Miss Marple.

Don't get me wrong: Lovers of any of the Miss Jane Marple cozies will love Miss Maud Silver, as well. It's a terrible pity that Miss Silver is so much less well known than Miss Marple, Hercules Poirot, Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey, Roderick Allen, or Josephine Tey's Alan Grant. With any luck, that can change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally on Kindle, September 2, 2011
Sparky (Del Mar, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have loved Patricia Wentworth's novels for many years. After purchasing my Kindle 2 years ago I was very disappointed that they were not available. If you are a fan of Dorothy Sayers you will most likely love Patricia Wentworth's as well. The Grey Mask is first class! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but..., September 24, 2011
This review is from: Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was written in 1929. That said, it was written in such a way, that it wasn't "dated" so much. A jilted man returns to England, after 4 years abroad, only to discover his house being used as a meeting place for some evil clandestine group. This is full of mystery and intrigue, and Miss Silver, a spinster (one assumes) PI, of sorts. Strangely, we don't see a lot of Miss Silver, but she seems to know a whole lot about what's going on.

I enjoyed the book, but Margo, a 15 yr old supposed-heiress, and Freddy, a scatter-brained widower, did get on my nerves, as they prattled incessantly. This is the first of a series. I will most likely read more, but probably not end-to-end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Miss Silver, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Grey Mask (Hardcover)
I've read and enjoyed several Miss Silver mysteries and finally decided to read the whole series (32 books) in order. "Grey Mask" was the first, published in 1929. Set in England, it's a cozy mystery that is not dated, although a modern reader may be a bit lost at first: there are no psychopathic serial killers, gruesome forensic details, high-tech hijinks, graphic sex, terse sentences, strong language, or lousy editing. Here is a well-crafted story with multiple, rounded characters, plot twists, clean language, well-written sentences and it's obvious that the publishers did some due diligence and edited the book. Miss Silver, the star of the series, is only introduced here and plays a lesser role, but her trademark characteristics are described nicely. She is a retired governess who dresses in drab fusty clothing, carries around a knitting bag, and quotes Tennyson when occasion permits. But this somewhat colorless nonentity has a keen mind and a decisive personality. People like to confide in her and she has the ability to put together all sorts of trivia to come up with a correct solution to problems that seem insoluble. This is not the finest book in the series, but it is competently written and has a bit of gentle humor to get the reader through. Apart from the Miss Silver books, Patricia Wentworth wrote many others. Most are out of print but it seems that some are being released again, particularly on Kindle. I prefer the paper books but I did get another one in the series on Kindle and found it was formatted nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1) (Kindle Edition)
I should preface this by saying that I'm a big fan of historical mystery books, so it's not particularly surprising that I also enjoyed this book.

The mystery itself was entertaining, but what really surprised me was the depth of the characters presented, which I felt surpassed many of the characters presented in other similar novels by other authors. I also enjoyed that Miss Silver was a secondary character, rather than the focus of the story...I felt that was one of the main reasons that I was able to connect more with the rest of the characters in the story.

I also very much enjoyed the writing style.

If you haven't read this author before, give her a try! Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Robot Reading Grey Mask, September 22, 2011
drkhimxz (Freehold, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book lent itself well to the male robot on Kindle, as always allowing for the usual faults (words with same spelling but multiple meanings and, one would hope cured in the next edition, spelling out forms of address-saying M, R, S, not Misses, etc.). I was carried right along with the story.
As I write two reviews precede mine, one a strong WOW, one a strong BOOOOO. I found it (listening only, never reading the text) a tricky plot with good characterizations and adequate suspense to keep one hanging on to the end. Interestingly, while vital to the plot, Miss Silver plays a small part in the proceedings, most of the story being carried by the romantic leads and subordinate romancers. The hero, about whom we can have no doubts, is the leading man. His one time lady love, about whom we must have doubts, plays a mildly subordinate leading lady. The 18 year old who is innocent in all respects, is the source of whatever humor there is in the script.
The book is not up with those of the classic writers, Christie, Sayers and the like, but still is rewarding reading. As I say, do not expect to see much of Miss Silver, she tends to fade into the woodwork, so to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1st Miss Silver, October 4, 2009
This review is from: Grey Mask (Hardcover)
Wentworth is an often overlooked doyenne of the classic mystery. Miss Silver (not to be confused with Miss Marple) is a great sleuth.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable Golden Age cozy, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this first Miss Silver book from 1929. She's sort of a younger Miss Marple type. This book is filled with criminal conspiracy. Great plot.

Miss Silver seems to be someone who is consulted from time to time, not necessarily a main character. In future books, I wonder if other characters are involved and also whether Miss Silver plays a bigger role.

Eager to read more of these!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Silver is the Bomb, August 16, 2013
Ruth D. Strickland (San Francisco Bay Area, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grey Mask (Hardcover)
I am a recent fan of Patricia Wentworth's and "Miss Silver's" adventures are great! I prefer the old mystery/romances because the heroes and heroines aren't constantly jumping in and out of bed, and the four-letter words are mild and kept to a minimum.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Grey Mask (The Miss Silver Mysteries, 1)
$6.15