5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book for Dealing with Loss of Spouse, March 19, 2008
This review is from: Grieving Mindfully: A Compassionate and Spiritual Guide to Coping with Loss (Paperback)
My wife, best friend and soul mate for 31 years died in July, 2007. I have read several books on the subject of grieving and coping with the loss of a spouse. This book is the best and most useful of all. I am now reading it again for the third time. It has been transformational for me as I try to find a "new normal" in my life. I would highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with the loss of a loved one. I would also recommend re-reading it at different times after the loss. You will get different things out of it as the time passes since your loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has something for everyone, September 22, 2005
Dr. Kumar has presented the reader with tools, lessons, and goals for coping with grief that are not only compassionate and fulfilling, but also practical and realistic. His guidance can be applied to almost every aspect of life and its stressful times, not only the loss of a friend or family member. The book encourages ones ability to embrace change as an inevitable part of life, whatever the circumstances. I have already employed several of his mindfulness exercises and have found the results emotionally rewarding. This book has something to contribute to everyone's understanding of life and death. I have already recommended this book to many people I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A way through., August 19, 2006
Dr Kumar has taken his years of practice in grief counseling, his Bhuddist belief in the importance of consciously living in the present, and the knowlege he as absorbed from other experts to beautifully write a gentle guide for those of us who are dealing with the loss of someone or something basic to our lives.

There is not an unecessary word in this book perhaps because of the evident respect and compassion with which Kumar seems to have for his grieving readers and his desire to show them how to make their present lives manageable and even enjoyable.

This book should be read by every person who had suffered an invaluable loss. I hope it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Grieving People and Those Who Love Them, October 24, 2007
Who would expect to come into contact with a Mindfulness Meditation Primer during a time of excrutiating pain and sadness?

Probably only a handful of us - and the blessing is that in Dr. Kumar's
gently paced grief guide, we find all that and more. It is written in short, easy digestable chunks with both "how-to's" and soul-methods to facilitate a never-simple process we all experience at some point in our lives.

Highlights for me include the definition and application of radical acceptance and the 5 Steps to Facilitate Closure. These two nuggets contain gifts that will multiply many times over... and over again.

This is a title that belongs on people's shelves because we will all grieve eventually - and chances are someone close to you is grieving right now. Your compassion may be called into duty (and privilege) right this moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 11, 2005
My rabbi often talks about the goal of judaism as sanctifying aspects of our life. Dr. Kumar has done just that with his book. In fact, he has applied the principle to perhaps the most challenging of circumstances, dealing with the death of someone we love. This book helps us to cope with grace and compassion. Dr. Kumar's words capture the very essence of his message. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this book., July 20, 2007
My significant other of 11 years died from metastatic melanoma at the age of 50. My life has been turned up-side-down and this book has been very comforting. I believe it is one of the best grief books I read - and I read many. It is based on Buddhist principles that are far more effective in dealing with grief than any Christian denomination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably helpful, January 29, 2012
First of all, if you're looking at this book and the reviews and deciding whether or not to get it, it probably means that either you or a loved one are grieving and trying to find some help. If so, get this book, you'll be happy that you did.

I picked up this book when dealing with a very shocking and difficult break-up, which I don't think is the typical reason people might be looking for this book, but, as the book points out, grieving can occur whenever you lose anything that you value. It could be the loss of a loved one, and also the loss of a job, a relationship, or any other change in your life where something that you once "had" is now gone. The book, I think, was a key part of my getting over that loss as well as I did, and now I read the book whenever I'm struggling with another loss.

The key part of the book is that it teaches you to accept grief for what it is, not what other people say it should be or what you think you should be experiencing at a given point. That acceptance is crucial, both in helping you to not beat yourself up over something you can't help at a time when you already feel pretty low, and also because it sets the foundation for the other methods described to help you cope. It's not something I've picked up anywhere else, and it's very helpful.

Also, although it's based on some basic Buddhist principles, mainly impermanence, the methods taught could easily be used by everybody. The book doesn't really get into Buddhism that much, and doesn't describe things in Buddhist terms, so it worked well for me as a secular Buddhist, and I think should work for most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, compassionate and very helpful book., January 20, 2013
This book is absolutely beautiful....helpful with wonderful guidance and advice. I highly recommend it to anyone who has suffered loss. Extreme grief CAN transform us into a higher mindset and understanding. We can grow and go forward. This book will speak to you, it will touch you and it will empower you to continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grieving Mindfully is wonderful!, November 26, 2009
This is the fourth book, I've just finished reading on grief and by far the best. The author is a Buddhist, Ph.D. Psychologist, Dr Kumar, and works at a grief/ cancer center in Miami. Although, the book touches on Buddhist concepts, especially as they apply to grief, this is not a religious book and certainly applies to anyone suffering a loss from any religious persuasion.

I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer on 9/5/09. She died 5 weeks after being diagnosed. This book helps me to have the courage to embrace the pain of loss in a compassionate way, instead of running away from it. The author talks quite a bit about the concept of "impermanence," basically that nothing stays the same and that we, our lives, and our life situations, are alway in a state of flux and flow. When the pain of grief hits, it too, is impermanent and unpredictable which gives me the courage to embrace it, knowing that it won't last forever.

The book says a whole lot more than that, but that's just an example of one concept in the book.

The other book I would recommend is "On Death and Dying" by Elisabeth Kubler Ross and David Kessler. That is a 5 star book in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help, Healing, and Hope, March 1, 2012
About a month after my husband's death, a friend gave me Sameet Kumar's book. I was at my lowest, mired in my grief and my loss, tossed around on a tsunami of conflicting emotions that I didn't understand. "Grieving Mindfully" showed me that all of the up- and downswings that I had been feeling - and still feel - are perfectly normal. Grief is the reverse side of the coin called love. Love wouldn't exist without it.

Grieving Mindfully: A Compassionate and Spiritual Guide to Coping with Loss