1,922 Reviews
 (1,116)

4.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect
I love the griffin survivor case. I love the soft yet grippy rubber feel. I love the integrated screen protector. I love the military grade protection that keeps it safe from the curious fingers and inevitable blunders of my daring 9 month old. This case has truly allowed my iPad to become this stay-at-home mom's best companion.

I was at first considering the...
Published on June 6, 2011 by John Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw...3 stars, could have been a 5
Published on November 15, 2011 by Cat&Rus

4.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect, June 6, 2011

I was at first considering the Otter Box, but after reading reviews on the iPad2 version, I had my doubts that it would have the ruggedness I wanted. And it really isn't that attractive. I also would have had to install Ghost Armor or something to protect the screen - a process that would have kept me from using my new toy for an additional 24-48 hours above the shipping time for all the protective iPad gear. Not acceptable. I have not noticed any loss of touch response from the built in screen cover either. The Survivor is also pleasant to look at. Sure, it's not purple (everything should be available in my favorite color) but it has an elegance to its slight bulk - like the beautiful muscular definition of a dancer.

The included snap on is plenty functional. I was at first worried that, like every case other than the Otter Box, it would require a desk to be functional. Needless to say, as a stay-at-home mom, I am rarely at a desk. With the stand popped open I can still rest it on my lap and type easily. Case in point: I am currently sitting on the bed next to my daughter as she falls asleep. I have not any any trouble using the buttons or accessing any ports with this case, even though they are all completely covered.

Sadly, it does have its faults. It is not ideal for photographers on the go as the camera connection kit does not fit the plastic framing around the connection port. The framing does not interfere with the charging/sync cable but the camera connector pieces are wider than the charger plug and hit the plastic framing before the plug can meet the port. This is a supper bummer for me because part of the reason I got the iPad was so that I could more easily blog and post pictures of my little been sprout for family to see. With the camera connection kit I would have been able to pop the SD card into the iPad at any time and edit, post, and share. As it stands now, I'm still stuck being dependent on the desk top to sync recent pictures.

The only other minor complaint, very minor, is that I think I may still want some kind of travel case for it, just to provide a hard cover over the screen in certain situations - like packing a backpack for air travel. Like i said this is a very minor concern at the moment, considering that I haven't done, nor am I planning to do, anything about this in the near future.

To conclude, the Survivor case has a striking balance between rugged functionality and sleek sensory appeal, like expertly designed kevlar lined leather chaps and jacket on a motorcycle hottie. The only way Griffin could improve on this lovely yet tough case is to widen the plastic framing around the connection port to accommodate the camera connection kit, and perhaps design an accessory snap on hard cover for the screen. This cover would of course have to be compatible with the current snap on stand. I wouldn't want to have to take one off to use the other.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw...3 stars, could have been a 5, November 15, 2011
We wanted optimum protection possible for our Ipad2 especially since we have two toddlers. After much review of different Ipad2 cases, my wife and I decided to go for the Griffin Survivor. Having served active duty in the Marines, I pushed for this product because unlike its competitors with almost similar protective design, only the Griffin Survivor has port covers! so come sand, rain, wind or shine this was going to be our be-all and end-all Ipad2 case. Well, at least that was the plan. The silicone that connects the bottom port cover is TOO THIN. A week after I started using it, the bottom port cover broke. Thinking that I may have received an anomaly, I contacted Amazon and immediately exchanged it for another...that ones bottom port cover BROKE FASTER THAN THE FIRST ONE(about 3 days). "You're only as strong as your weakest link," maybe I was unlucky with this product compared to others but this was my experience with the Griffin Survivor and with protection compromised, I cant recommend at this time. I will buy this product again once this design flaw is addressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars rushed to market? but great item, July 8, 2011
--BE SURE TO READ UPDATE AT END!!---

I like this device, just not as bad as I really would like to; the plastic screen shield on it seriously detracts from its utility. Before writing this review I waited a few extra days to let my finger grease coat the screen shield, hoping to enable a smoother interfacing, however still no differance! my finger gets caught from the friction produced by the shield and finger. That is one thing otterbox always did well on was it screen guards. Besides the texture, the screen guard sits on top of the screen to high, creating an "air pocket" sensation. The texture and air pocket serious affects game playing and seriously hampers the ipad experience (finger on smooth glass). Even after a week of usage, both these issues are still very annoying.

Another issue with this product is its stand. Simply, it sucks. It falls over very easily and you cannot use it to set the ipad up in portrait mode. I leave the stand off to lessen the overall weight.

BTW the material used has the same "toughness" of otterbox's OtterBox Defender Series Hybrid Case for iPad 2 (APL2-IPAD2-20-E4OTR).

This prodcuts shortcomings wont prevent me from recommending it, but I will suggest that the MSRP of $70 is WAY to high, $50 is what I would consider its price ceiling (Ipad $42 for mine).

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! after about 4-6 weeks of use my suspicious are true, the dock connector's rubber flap is junk!!! its tearing, its very thin and gets alot of use (usb sync cable). Bummer..Ill still leave it rated as 3-star item, but in order to get my money's worth I think an item like this should last at least a year!!! I guess ill see how long the flap can withstand the forces against it...

UPDATE...12/26/2011

After about 6months of use the rubber flap hasn't deteriorated anymore than the initial tear...prob more due to my care than the material design.... also the plastic screen protector was only a annoyance the first few days of having it, I havent had any issues with it since the initial break-in period... eventually, I stopped using the stand, it just sucks...... THIS IS WAAAYYYYY BETTER THAN THE OTTERBOX CASE!!!!! -changing rating to 5star,from 4-

UPDATE...summer 2012
The rubber flap finally tore off, no biggie. Everything else is fine. Great case. And as Ive written previously, the screen protector is fine to use. When i do replace my ipad2 for the ipad mini, i will search out this case for it first!

3.0 out of 5 stars Totally Unusable As Is ... But, December 7, 2011
The Survivor heads the top of every list of tough child-proof, drop-proof, klutz-proof cases to protect the iPad 2. I've always been an Otterbox devotee but the reviews consistently criticized the Defender for its poor quality. Four or five other cases are on that list including the Gumdrop. I opted for the Griffin but it was on backorder and I needed a case before I got the iPad, so I bought the Gumdrop. My husband urged me to order the Griffin as well because of its reputation, and mine.

I tried out the Gumdrop for two weeks before the Griffin for another two weeks. Both cases feel strong and grippy and have built-in screen protectors. The lack of a built-in screen protector on the Otterbox Defender - which is included in all the other Defender series cases except this one - ruled it out for me. Griffin and Gumdrop weigh about the same as far as I can tell and both feel like they would be equally protective against damage from impact.

These are my findings:

Gumdrop:
- The tabs covering the different ports are very strong and thick. You feel like they're really doing something. I like that. The speaker and cameras are not covered, unlike the Griffin with tabs covering each, but I don't envision submerging my iPad underwater as much as I see it being dropped or thrown onto the floor so the lack coverage over those areas doesn't bother me.
- The thick tab covering the headphone jack prevents my L shaped earphone cord from going in all the way. I discovered this at the gym, to my embarassment. I either have to get new earphones (I'm not likely to replace my etymotic earbuds anytime soon), or get an adapter for them.
- The case smells VERY strongly of tire rubber which did not dissipate even after two weeks. Oddly, it actually looks like a tire. One would think with a name like Gumdrop the case would be slightly cute. Maybe Hummer might be a better name, or John Deere.

Griffin Defender:
- I love the grippiness of the rubber outer case of the Griffin. There's no pattern to make it grippy like the Gumdrop, which relies on the tire tread pattern, where the rubber itself is very smooth. The Griffin has no pattern, but the rubber itself is kind of brushed, and that makes it almost sticky. I prefer the Griffin.
- The stand is useless. The base is very narrow - about 1 1/2 inches. It falls over easily, but its removable.
- I HATE the flaps that cover all the ports on the Griffin, and I would be astonished if they actually provide any significant protection against damage to the iPad. They are thin and move around constantly and seem totally useless, wheras the tabs on the Gumdrop are tough and thick like the case itself. It takes effort to move those tabs. It's impossible to imagine the thin tabs on the Griffin make the case waterproof although they probably keep out the dust pretty well. Even worse is that the tabs covering the back camera and speaker will not stay open for more than about thirty seconds. Imagine your three year old trying to watch Winnie the Pooh with muffled sound. It sucks. The flaps are designed to be held open with a tiny protrusion on the tab that theoretically fits into a corresponding hole in the case. They don't work. They don't stay open. It is so frustrating. I tried taping the speaker flap open - tape doesn't stick to rubber apparently, not even duct tape. I tried to glue it down with rubber cement, and then fabric glue. No good. I finally had success with a rubber band wrapped around the iPad. Pretty. Pretty ridiculous. The flaps are so stupid. They render the case completely unusable.

So which did I keep?

The Griffin. It doesn't smell and it's prettier than the Gumdrop (I don't like the tire tread design). I also didn't want to get an extender cable for my earphones. I thought it would look stupid and make the cord too long, and somehow I resented that I had to adapt my own equipment to accommodate this case. So how did I deal with the Griffin flaps over the camera and speaker? I used an exacto knife and cut them off. Apart from the flaps and the stand I like just about everything else about the case. I like how it looks and feels. I feel confident that it will protect my iPad. And as I said, I don't plan on going swimming with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars TESTED IT'S RUGGEDNESS BY ACCIDENT, April 20, 2012
This Griffin Survivor case proved its worth when I wiped out trying to catch a train here in Chicago. It was dark and I tripped on an asphalt hump that I did not see. I had my iPad2 in my hand and the thing flew probably 10 feet as I wiped out. The Griffin did its job. The iPad2 came out of the ordeal better than I did. I'm still limping from the ordeal but the iPad2 was just fine. Now if Griffin would only make a protective case for klutzy iPad2 owners !

4.0 out of 5 stars Griffin Survivor = Best iPad Protection vs. Gumdrop, Yet Slightly Inconvenient, December 7, 2011
IlDavo (Southern California USA) - See all my reviews
My household has 2 iPads. I'm protecting one with this Griffin Survivor Case IPAD2 - Black and another with a substitute Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case for Apple iPad 2, White-Black, (DS-IPAD2-WHI-BLK)that an Amazon marketplace vendor shipped when they were out-of-stock of these Survivor cases. I'm therefore in a position to compare the two!

Similarities: Survivor and Gumdrop cases both protect the full iPad -- front and back. Both provide transparent screen protection that they secure via integral hard plastic snap rings. Both wrap the body of the iPad in thick rubber. Both interconnect rubber body protection with a hard plastic ring that "grabs" the iPad body. In fact, whereas they differ in the degree to which they use their hard plastic (see difference, below), the manner in which the plastic grabs the iPad and simultaneously interlink with the rubber suggests that the same engineers designed both.

Differences:

Hard Plastic infrastructure:
The Survivor uses two interlocking hard plastic pieces -- a ring for the front and a hard shell for the back, whereas the Gumdrop uses a single plastic ring that simply "hugs" the iPad at opposite corners (no hard plastic on the back of the iPad). The Survivor therefore appears to offer more physical drop/bump protection than the Gumdrop.

Rubber Exterior:
The Survivor's rough, black rubber feels thicker and heavier. The Gumdrop's ribbed rubber feels smoother (more like silicone?), thinner and lighter.

Port, Button, Switch and Speaker Access:
The Survivor covers everything except the front-facing camera in rubber. Detents in the rubber help locate buttons that you press right through the rubber. Tabs indicate areas where you can pull away rubber coverings to expose ports, switches, rear camera, mic and speaker. The Survivor provides integral hard plastic holes in the case that are apparently intended to hold these pull-aways in place when you'd like to keep them exposed (to listen to sound through the speaker or take a picture with the rear camera, for instance). The holes don't work for this purposes, however, so taking a picture requires the user to hold the rubber pull-away open with one hand while working camera controls with the other. Not fun, but probably worth the hassle if you need ultimate protection.
The Gumdrop covers most iPad ports and switches, as well, yet it provides much more pronounced "knobs" to help you locate buttons you press through the rubber case as well as rubber pull-aways for port access. The Gumdrop offers a perforated grill in the rubber over the iPad speaker -- thus offering less apparent protection for the speaker, but eliminating the need to pull away anything to listen to iPad audio. The Gumdrop also full exposes the rear-facing camera, so again, there's less protection but much greater convenience.

'Net:
The Griffin Survivor covers everything on the iPad and therefore clearly offers better protection against bad weather and accidental spills. Its hard plastic + rubber body protection appears to offer greater drop & bump protection, as well. The trade-off is the inconveniece of having to pull away and hold rubber covers that block iPad elements you want to access (camera, mic and speaker).
The Gumdrop leaves camera, mic and speaker somewhat exposed. It does not integrate hard plastic into rear body protection. It feels slightly thinner and lighter. The Gumdrop's much more convenient when it comes to using camera, mike and speaker.

Guidance:
Get the Survivor if you need ultimate protection in a case that still lets you use your iPad, directly (i.e.: doesn't require you to open a box or lid to access the screen). The Survivor's clearly the choice if your primary concern is weather when using outdoors. I plan to use mine for hard duty travel and camping.
Get the Gumdrop if you want good protection (albeit with a few risks vs. the Survivor) and maximum convenience. My 10-year-old daughter uses the Gumdrop to take her iPad to/from school and she much prefers its convenient camera, mic and speaker access to the Survivor she used before I got the Gumdrop. She also likes the Gumdrop's color choices (hers is white).

All-in-all, I think the Gumdrop's compromises are minor and make the Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case for Apple iPad 2, White-Black, (DS-IPAD2-WHI-BLK) the better choice for most who want a protective rubber case with integral transparent screen protection.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the older version - GET THE UPDATED VERSION, August 5, 2012
This review is from: Griffin GB02534 Survivor Extreme-duty Military case for the new iPad (4th Generation), iPad 3 and iPad 2, Pink (Personal Computers)
I don't own the griffin survivor, but I just wanted to let interested consumers know that the Griffin GB02534 Survivor is the older version and that is why there are some complaints about the covers for the cameras not staying open and a bit of gap between the built-in screen and the Ipad's screen. The UPDATED version of the Griffin survivor (pink) is the GB35379 which now has HINGED port/camera covers and there's less gap between the built-in screen and the Ipad's screen. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes one beautiful brick, May 17, 2012
jonizzzle (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
~~~UPDATE 5/18/12~~~
I just noticed that the Griffin case I received was a little different from the pictures, YouTube videos, and Griffin's website. I'm assuming that Griffin released an updated version because the case I received didn't have the problems that other reviewers mentioned. Some things that are different from the "older version":
1) the camera and speaker flaps swivel instead of having to attach it to a notch in the case to keep them open
2) the dock port is wider because I can use my iPad camera connection kit easily
3) the microphone (small hole on top of the iPad's rear) doesn't have it's own flap but instead have holes
4) putting the silicone layer on isn't as finicky to put on compared to the YouTube videos
5) redesigned plastic molding. The shape is different and when comparing the two versions I prefer this model

~~~ORIGINAL REVIEW 5/17/12~~~
I actually saw a customer at the Apple Store use this on their iPad 2 and thought how cool it looked. Wen the 3rd Gen came out I wished this would still be compatible with it and perfectly does. You may think it adds an excessive amount of bulk and weight to it and would make it feel clumsy but it makes it otherwise. Getting the case on the iPad was tricky because the manual was inside the case and prying it open took a couple of minutes and same thing with putting it on. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who likes to frequently swap iPad cases because this one will not come on and off easily.

The thickness it adds makes it more comfortable to hold the iPad because it gives it more girth. The integrated screen protector was a little different at first but doesn't compromise the sensitivity of the screen. I usually stray away from any kind of screen protectors out there because it degrades the quality of the screen but this one does nothing to the iPad's beautiful retina display. The flaps that cover the iPad's ports cover everything and doesn't look to be flimsy and break easily but I'll update this review if anything. The camera flap actually swivels so it doesn't have to be held while it's in use. Same thing goes for the speaker flaps. The buttons (sleep/wake, volume rocker, and home button) feel more comfortable and a bit easier to press so that's a plus. The stand it comes with is very practical because it has a low profile while attached to the case and can be detached easily. The legs of the stand are rubberized to avoid slippage so that's a nother plus.

Overall this case seems to be built pretty well and very comfortable to use as I am typing this whole review while it's on my iPad 3rd Gen. The price point (~$40 when I purchased) is totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., October 22, 2011
Easy to install, durable and offers great protection. I don't have to worry about the five year old dropping the iPad and breaking the glass.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product sold is not for the new iPad (3rd generation), August 23, 2012
All the Griffin survivor cases for the new iPad are the following product numbers (GB35380, GB35379, GB35108, GB35111, GB35786, GB35434, GB35110, GB35451). They all begin with GB3####. The product Amazon is listing / selling is not compatible with the iPad 3. I purchased it in black, GB02480, and you cannot plug in the charger without removing the hard plastic case under the silicon sleeve.