2,357 Reviews
 (1,307)

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 MPH Save
Published 23 months ago by David English

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of older model...
Make sure when you receive this item, that is in in fact model GB35108.

The difference is significant.
-The old model has a clam shell design that envelopes the iPad. Then you wrap the clam shell with a silicone case.
-The new model (GB35108)has a front panel that snaps on over the silicone case.

In addition, the port flaps have hinges to...
Published on September 28, 2012 by A. Hawkbird

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 MPH Save, January 19, 2013
I had one of these on my Ipad so I bought this one for my wife's Christmas present. Why? Because one day I was getting in my car and left my ipad on the roof. I drove about 15 miles before getting on the expressway. As I came off of the ramp and started to increase my speed, I heard a noise and looked into the rear view to see my Ipad fly off the top of my car and come down on a guard rail and then bounce into the woods....After swearing about how stupid I was I pulled over and started looking for the pieces...when I found it...it wasn't broken and I turned it on on the way back to the car...it worked. It still works fine....I was going about 50 mph when it flew off....just a great product

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of older model..., September 28, 2012
This review is from: Griffin GB35108 Survivor Extreme-duty Military case for the new iPad (4th Generation), iPad 3 and iPad 2, Black (Personal Computers)
Make sure when you receive this item, that is in in fact model GB35108.

The difference is significant.
-The new model (GB35108)has a front panel that snaps on over the silicone case.

In addition, the port flaps have hinges to rotate out of the way, whereas the older model does not.

Unfortunately, I had to return mine as I want the new model as indicated on Amazon's "Item model number: GB35108", which I did not receive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! It's a counterfeit case!, November 5, 2012
I recently purchased this case as it was a great deal on Amazon vs the retail price of $79. When the a-frame stand broke, I contacted Griffin for a replacement stand. They asked for a picture of the box to ensure they sent the right stand, and after seeing the picture of the box responded telling me that the case I purchased was a counterfeit.
Here is the email from Griffin customer support:

"> So sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with your Survivor case. The reason you are having so much trouble is that the case you have is a counterfeit. The biggest indicator I can see is the typo on the front for compatibility. It should say "new iPad + iPad 2", but your box has no spaces so it shows "new iPad+iPad2". I would venture to guess that on the back in the bottom right, "Military-Duty Case With Stand" has the word stand misspelled. I would also guess if you were to pull up the sticker that is covering over the bar code on the bottom, it would show Griffin P/N GB05202. That part number is for an olive green case for an iPhone. The actual P/N for the black iPad Survivor case would be either GB02480 or GB35108.
> With those indicators of it being counterfeit, I would suggest contacting your original point of purchase (in this case, probably the Amazon reseller). They may be unaware they have purchased counterfeits from their wholesaler, but it is definitely not a genuine Griffin product. So sorry for the inconvenience. I hope this answers your questions, and feel free to let me know if I can be of further help."

I'd stay away from this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit!, November 27, 2012
I just recieved the counterfeit version of the this case just as described the the customer reviews.....I am returning it....This has never happened to me before and this is one of the reasons that I order online from Amazon. Quality control....attention to detail...extremely disappointing

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete Review Thoroughly Researched, June 10, 2013
I did a lot of research on this case from Amazon, I will try to clear up some speculation and heresay with facts and confirmation or denial of what others have said:

When I came to look for this case on Amazon, I did it because I could not afford the full retail price listed on the Griffin website. I read many many reviews and started to worry if it would be worth a shot at only paying 45 dollars for this case. I am only 19 and I am the only income for my family, working income. But my parents are unable to work and my father is on disability. This was my only option for this case. And I don't regret it. It was stressful wondering if what I was getting would be legit or not.

As many many others have said. The main two issues with buying this discounted case on Amazon is that it is either counterfeit or an older model. I did extensive research and both issues are true. Griffin is a company that is so often victim of counterfeiting. Griffin is a good company, but many people try to counterfeit it, from what I can gather it's the way they trademark, or patent things that leaves them so vulnerable to being target of knock offs. Not only counterfeits, but wholesalers often intentionally give customers the wrong model. Both of these issues are real, and do happen, very often. However in my case, I've been given the luck of the majority. I have looked my box, and case, over and over thoroughly while doing more research on it, and I have found that not only does my case happen to be real, but it is the new model even. With those two issues being real, there are still more people getting a genuine product than those getting scammed, but it's still a risk.

As others have said, the flaps should rotate on hinges, and mine do. But they've also said that they are so flimsy that they break off on the first day. I've tested mine, pulled and tugged, and they wont come off for me. Again, I am with the majority of people getting a genuine product.

People have said that the screen protector causes some of the responsiveness to weaken. I have noticed this as well, especially in the corners. But most of the time this is not noticeable. But the corners are very weak, for example, go to settings, wallpaper, and find the background you want. When you go to select "Both" as the wallpaper, you have to press hard. The corners are very very weak, as a matter of fact, changing your wallpaper is annoying at first if you have this case. I will not lie, it is freaking annoying. BUT, you can get used to it, remember you need to press slightly harder, and stop expecting it to be feather sensitive. After a while it is not really noticeable, the annoyance goes away.

Another problem people have stated, is a rainbow effect. I do have some distortion, but only when the screen is off. it looks like a lava lamp pattern, only is lines inside of lines inside of lines. Like this ((((. But with my case, when I unlock it, this isn't apparent, and there's no rainbow effect.

Last issue I'd like to point out, is the issues with the stand. Yes, it only works in landscape. But with my case it's not flimsy, it is very sturdy and durable. When you pull it out, it's hard getting it out as you have to pull it with your nail, you know, one of those fingernail grooves. The only way I can see it breaking, is if you try to force it open, which is always the wrong thing to do, with anything in life. But when closing it, I could see it breaking, except there's an easy way to do it most people don't think about. It is an A like shape. Picture an A, you have two slanted legs, and in the middle you have a prong holding them out. /|\ If you simply push the middle prong it folds in very gently and easily, do not force the legs down, push the prong in the middle.

To summarize this. All of the reports of it being a scam, are true, there are fakes, there are companies that give you an old model instead of the new. There are defects in the screen, but for the majority it's never noticeable. just about all the reports of issues are confirmed by many people. But in the majority of the cases, they are not true. In my case I got a completely legit, and genuine product. It has issues, like being less responsive, but that's nothing I can't simply adjust to. And the issues with the stand, are probably the customers own fault for trying to force it open or shut. People complain that it broke first time they dropped it. If you drop it on the corner of a table, or on a sharp rock, it doesn't matter what case you use, nothing can stop that flat of a screen with that much weight or momentum. The case does not make your iPad invincible, it has some issues, which for me I can easily adjust to.

The question is, are you willing to let go of that perfect Apple glitz and glamour, for a durable heavy duty case? Are you willing to pay less, and try your luck and see if you are one of the majority and get exactly what you need, for half the cost? I had no choice, I had to get a cheaper version, and with all the reports of issues, I was worried and skeptical, and now that I see I am part of the majority who get an excellent product, I am completely happy with this case from Amazon. If anything I am impressed. This case is actually better constructed than my otter box for my iPhone 4s at bestbuy, and Otterbox Defenders are amazing.

It's all depending on what you need, can pay, or want to take a chance on. It worked for me it might for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars 100% Protection, but..., June 29, 2012
St.Eve (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I just received this case a couple of days ago and installed it with ease. My iPad (3rd generation) not only feels so much more protected in this case, but due to the texture and grooves on the back and sides of the case, it doesn't feel like the iPad is going to slip out of my hands.

The entire iPad is protected with this case. I have no worries letting my kids (6 & 3 years old) and their friends play on our iPad. The volume buttons and power buttons fit perfectly. Although the speaker on the bottom of the iPad is blocked (but can be opened by simply flipping the built-in flap up) the sound still comes out and can be heard at a quite decent volume..

The screen protector may not take away from the beautiful retina display, but it does cast a glare on the screen when viewed at certain angles or under certain lighting conditions. The screen protector also cause the iPad's touchscreen to be less responsive. I find myself having to press harder on the screen protector in order to get the iPad to respond rather than just touching the screen.

The stand on this case also works well. The only downside is that the stand doesn't work in portrait mode. I have the stand attached, in the closed position, to the side of the case all the time, so it's always readily accessible. Although the stand attaches pretty snug to the case, it can easily be removed when trying to flip it open. This is mainly due to the fact that the stand could be attached to either sides of the case. Why they didn't make it compatible with the bottom on the case, to allow standing up in portrait mode is beyond me.

** Update **
I recently purchased the iPad camera connection kit and the connector cannot be plugged into my iPad unless I remove this entire case. A big disadvantage if you're using the camera connection kit frequently.

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE!!!!! Do not purchase ANY of these., February 1, 2013
Just contacted Griffin Technologies, sent them pics, etc. They confirmed my pink/black case IS A FAKE.

My purchase sold by Crawford's Superstore and FULFILLED by Amazon. Amazon shouldn't be touching these w/a 10ft pole without confirming if these are fake or real.

The first real dead give away on my packaging (from what Griffin said) was the round tamper-evident stickers on the side (for sealing the edges). Mine have the Griffin "G" logo all over them. Griffin does not use these. The person helping me gave me this website for future questions about fakes.

[...]

The material on the silcone/rubber shell was terribly made. Over run on all of the edges of the flaps, discoloration/marks on the inside of the shell and the plastic material seemed flimsy & thin compared to my other Survivor iPad case.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can focus on work in the field!, September 11, 2012
Mark (San Jose, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm went into this with the assumption that the user experience is not going to be quite the same as a bare iPad - it is only fair.

I bought the product because when I do field work it involves water, dirt, dust, and the resulting mud. I also did not want to be as concerned about dropping it without any protection and without a screen protector.

I have to press a touch or minuscule more than with the bare screen, but hardly more and just a little more on the edges, presumably because that is where the screen protector is attached to the frame. The need to press down a bit more is so minor it would not be a reason not to get it especially if you need this level of protection.

When installing the product you put on the back plastic frame, wrap the silicone around it and then snap on the front screen protector. It is important to get the silicone on correctly and that involves going around it a few times and massaging the silicone into and around the back frame for literally only 2 minutes the first time around.

There is a bit more glare in the direct sunlight than just the iPad screen, it appears more diffused than the glare that you would normally see with the iPad. I also wish there was a cover for the screen for when it goes into a bag. You would also need to make sure the home button is not accidentally pushed so it doesn't drain the battery in a bag.

I called the company and asked them if I could purchase the front screen protector if this one was scratched and they said they will sell it for $10 + shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!, August 12, 2012
This case offers excellent protection. 4 stars because it is difficult to put on and take off. It could also use screen protection and stand similiar to the otterbox. The attached stand is kind of worthless. Overall this case is much better than the otterbox and gumdrop models. Make sure to purchase this model as it the newer one with the better port protection!

1.0 out of 5 stars They sent me GB02480 Instead of GB35108, November 14, 2012
I'm glad some of you other guys got the newer model cause I got ripped. If this is truly the older model wow. I could tell right away it was but I would be surprised if the one i got wasn't a complete knock off counterfeit product. It reminded me of the knock off fake Otterbox that we have for our iPod. This iPad case we got was a joke and didn't look right at all and was NOTHING like the one I bought at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. The one they sent me is definitely NOT the newer GB35108 model. They even went as far as to put a sticker over the part of the box that shows the model number cause I went and looked yesterday at the box at Walmart LOL. The one I got came from Bargain Warehouse24. Weird tho cause when you order it, it says it is a order from Amazon and I don't see Bargain Warehouse24 anywhere on the other link "New" either. I don't write reviews often but I had to on this one. If you order this product make sure you first go to Walmart look hard at that one so you know the difference cause either people on here are getting lucky and getting the newer model OR they just don't know the huge difference in a knock off Vs a real one. I will definitely be returning this one and getting the one from Walmart so I don't have to play this Model Game.

Want to know another trick? Try this:
The problem with this product from Griffin is the Stand as others on here have said but try this. This Griffin "GB35108" is great but no good stand, yet the Bottom piece "Stand" with the Otterbox Version is great but the part that holds the iPad is not as good as this Griffin. So.... Combine them both like I tried it at the store. It takes this Griffin and makes it even better. Take this Griffin just like it is. Then take the bottom half of the Otterbox "Stand" and put the face of the Griffin into the bottom "Stand" part of the Otterbox. Just ease it in carefully.They should fit perfect for each other and you will have a great new stand for your Griffin AND a VERY solid hard shell protection for your iPad on the screen face part when not in use. Try is at the store and you will see they was both made for each other. I was blown away how nice they mated together and it takes the best of both worlds cause both seem to be missing something. Your welcome :)