5.0 out of 5 stars FM Transmitters for Ipod - 3 Options
I've tried three different types of FM Transmitters for IPOD and here are my rankings in order:

1) Griffin Itrip - $30-$50 depending on model

2) Griffin Road Trip - $80.

3) Belkin Tunecast - $40

Published on December 2, 2005 by Mynt

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy construction, but a good idea
The whole reason I got my IPod was so I could listen to all my music in the car without bringing a whole bunch of CDs, so some sort of car adapter was high on my to-buy priority list. I read all the positive reviews for this one and went for it - but what a bad idea!

To be fair, here are the good points:

1) It's cool that you can hook it up to your...
Published on March 27, 2006 by guitarchick24

5.0 out of 5 stars FM Transmitters for Ipod - 3 Options, December 2, 2005
Mynt "Mynt" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Griffin Technology 4030-ROAD RoadTrip FM Transmitter and Auto Charger and Cradle for iPod (Electronics)

1) Griffin Itrip - $30-$50 depending on model

2) Griffin Road Trip - $80.

3) Belkin Tunecast - $40

First let's talk about sound quality. On all of the FM Transmitters, the sound quality isn't that great. It's somewhere in between AM Radio and FM Radio quality, a long ways from CD clarity. However, being able to play your IPod in the car on a roadtrip or at a party is a great convenience. After a short while, you don't notice the lower quality. My friends and I have happily listened to the IPod for hours.

The next important item is battery power. The Belkin Tunecast runs off AAA batteries and does not draw power from the IPod. The Griffin Itrip draws power from the IPod. The Griffin Roadtrip must be plugged into your car's lighter or auto power adapter. Of these three I like the Griffin Itrip the best. I can take the IPod a party and broadcast for a few hours unplugged or use a charger for unlimited play. In the car, I typically have my IPod charging to a separate auto charger. However it's not a requirement so I can also charge my cell phone and still listen to my music.

Tuning the Transmitter to a blank station: The Road Trip and the Tunecast were both easier to change radio frequencies. The Itrip could be tricky to adjust the radio station. This is important because you need to be tuned to a blank station. Reviewers who talk about station interference merely need to tune their Transmitter to a blank station. I've used the Transmitters all over the country including NYC and I've always been able to find a frequency on the dial to use.

The next consideration is usability. I liked how the Itrip attached to my IPod so it handled as one unit. Judging a separate Tunecast component and the IPod was awkward in the card. When using the Griffin Roadtrip, you must take the IPod out of its case and mount it to the cigarette lighter. At that angle it was impossible to read the screen, so if you wanted to make any selections or adjustments, you had to remove IPod and temporarily lose the signal. With the Itrip, you can hold the IPod on your hand and pick out songs while still listening to your music. Depending on the design of your case, you may not need to remove it to use the Belkin Tunecast or Griffin Itrip, which protects the easily scratched IPod.

Finally price - all three items do essentially the same task. The cost of a car chargers for your IPod is approx $30, so if you factor that in that cost, all three device are essentially the same price.

I prefer the Griffin Itrip for the reasons stated, but I know others who prefer to mount their IPod with the Griffin Roadtrip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy construction, but a good idea, March 27, 2006

To be fair, here are the good points:

1) It's cool that you can hook it up to your computer and listen to your digital music in your house and in your car

But here's why it's not so good:

1) The design is awkward, depending on your car. I drive a 97 Honda, with the cigarette lighter/power source on the bottom of the front panel. I had to use both of the swivel arms to make the adapter fit comfortably in my car (using only one meant it was too short and too close to the front panel). However, when I did that, the cradle was in an awkward, free floating position that got in the way of my gear shift. There's something wrong with the design when you can only plug in your IPod transmitter AFTER you've started driving.

2) Shoddy construction. I had only used my RoadTrip for about a week when one of the swivel arms broke, meaning it couldn't support the weight of the cradle plus IPod. Not cool.

3) I sent in my RoadTrip to Amazon for a replacement, which they did quickly. However, the replacement conked out a week later when I was using it to listen to my music via my computer and a household stereo!

Since I'm not the type of person to treat my electronics harshly, I have to conclude that it was manufacturer defect. But twice? Hmm...

I'll be searching for a different brand, instead of taking a chance on a third replacement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works GREAT., August 2, 2005
This is a nice little I Pod accessory, The Griffin Road Trip works terrific; I put it on 88.5 hear in Southeastern, CT and I get NO interference, anywhere I go. It is fantastic to have my whole CD collection, at my beck and call, in my car. Because of the position of my car lighter/electornic accessory plug, I don't have to use the extra extender arm, which might look a bit cumbersome, so the unit even looks good in my car, besides performing great. And on top of all that the Griffin Road Trip charges my I Pod up fast. I would highly recommend his product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 7, 2006
Felix (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using this unit for over a month now, and after having tried other, similar products, I can say that this is the best bang for your buck.

While the audio quality is, as with every FM transmitter, not CD quality, it is definitely good. The signal is strong and can over-power most local radio stations. It charges the iPod fast, fits in my Ford Ranger perfect without using the extension, and is convenient to use.

The only other product anywhere close in quality is the Monster iCarPlay, which does not include a cradle, so your accessing your iPod is very distracting while driving.

The changing of channels is very easy compared to other products with two easily accessible buttons.

It fits all kinds of iPods...even the iPod video. Meaning on long trips your passengers can watch movies, listening to the audio on the stereo, and not have to worry about battery life.

The FM transmitter is detachable and can be used with any computer, powered through USB.

If you are thinking about using an FM transmitter, this is the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality & easy to use, December 2, 2005
Overall, I am very pleased with the Roadtrip. The sound quality is fantastic! I was previously using a Griffin Itrip and thought the sound quality from it was good, however after using the Roadtrip for about five minutes I noticed parts of music that I normally only heard through headphones. The setup for the Roadtrip is pretty easy. I do agree that the one drawback is the size, it was much larger than I expected. However, it is fairly easy to manipulate into the position you need it to be in and it is nice being able to see the face of the Ipod while driving down the road (in a safe manner of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best FM transmitter for iPods on the market!, January 7, 2006
krtsphd (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
After having bought the "Monster Cable iCarPlay Plus Wireless FM Transmitter/Charger for iPod" (and then promptly returned it because there was just too much static/interference), I decided to try the Griffin RoadTrip. First, I was shocked at the difference in sound quality between the two products! The Griffin sounds crisp and clear and there is NO static! I live in Boston and have set the frequency to 88.5 and have not had a single problem. Second, the Griffin is so much more convenient and easier to use because you just plug it in and turn it on (it remembers whatever frequency you used previously). No wires, no having to dangle my Nano around the rearview mirror just to get music to play (albeit with frequent static and a constant hissing sound in between songs), and best of all, I now have a nice, solid, safe place to put my Nano that's right at my fingertips. My only caution is that the holder-adapter that's designed to fit the Nano will only fit if I take mine out of the leather "Marware" protective cover I bought to keep it from getting all scratched up (I have the 2G Black one). An easy solution (at least for me) was to keep my leather cover on and simply use the "larger" holder instead of the smaller "Nano-sized" one. Griffin conveniently provides two different thicknesses of padding to customize the fit for virtually all iPods (except the Shuffle, of course) so I just put in one of the pads and my Nano stays nice and secure and will never get scratched. I highly recommend the RoadTrip and am frankly, shocked that others have rated it so poorly. I love it and could not be happier with my purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product as far as fm transmittion goes..., May 29, 2006
penicillin "Valon" (Mississauga, Ontario) - See all my reviews
After reading many reviews of the fm transmittion criteria, I found myself in the market for one. The best reviews that I could find where the Monster IcarPlay (newer) and the Kensington 33185, I could not find either specific model anywhere near me, so I went down to the local bestbuy and got myself the Griffin RoadTrip. I was quite skeptical to see how this would perform because I read many negative reviews regarding Griffin products. After purchasing it for $118 CAD (about $105 US), I went in the car and tried it out. the set up is quite basic and after a few minutes I was listening to my nano with decent sound quality (same as local radio stations). I live in the biggest suburbia in North America, Mississauga, Ontario and the transmittion is quite good.

Pros:
It does not skip, even as the ipod wiggles from the road bumps
It stays in tact
Easy to use
Good sound quality
Comes with everything you need, every ipod model capability
Can be used with your PC or Mac to transmit sound for you home stereo
Convinient
comes with Doc+holder+clip (s)

Cons
Constant access to the ipod battery could mean that the battery's life is ending faster than it should.
the sound quality isn't top notch. (after all it is a transmitter, very minor complaint)

Ipod users limit your sounds to minimum when the ipod is playing because it will not have an effect on the transmittion at all.
This is probabbly a good thing.

Over all I'd like to give it a 5, but 4 seemes more appropriate, due to price and capability.
As far as fm transmittion goes this product will not dissapoint you.

2.0 out of 5 stars May be okay, but it didn't work well for me, April 18, 2006
B. GENIER (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This worked, but the sound quality was very disappointing. There was background noise on every frequency I tried.

A friend hooked up their Transpod in my car and it was world's better...gonna invest in that, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest iPod accessory, September 23, 2005
This transmitter makes your car iPod-friendly in a most painless way. The adjustable attachments make it possible to set it up with just the right angle to read your screen. I have used it in both my cars - one needs the extra length attachment due to the location of the power outlet. You can change fm stations to get the best reception. I tried another device that only tuned to one station and it did not work. I live in the Seattle area and have no problem finding a good station. In keeping with the clean white iPod design, the device looks good. Unlike the other transmitter I tried which had the iPod dangling at the end of a power cord, the roadtrip seats your iPod securely. I am very happy with the performance of this product and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Road Trip gets an A+!, December 26, 2005
This thing is sweet. After first trying other FM transmitters (small Belken brand with headphone connect and the Monster brand dock connector) I am sooo relieved to find out there is a transmitter that really works!! The sound comes in as clearly as the any other radio stations. Moreover, I can use it to broadcast music from my computer through my stereo.

The cigarette lighter in my car (94 Subaru Legacy) is behind the steering wheel on the right and the set up works out perfectly so my windshield wiper lever is just in front of the Road Trip. I can see how it may not work in other cars depending on where the lighter is, but for me, it couldn't be better.

5,000 of my favorite songs on virtually any sound system I want? You bet the Road Trip gets five stars!

Rate and Discover Movies