Griffin Technology Elevator Laptop Stand (GC16034)
Price:$29.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a beautiful, space saving laptop stand. I do love it, but NOT for the machine I intended. The description says any laptop over 10" - but I would not recommend it for 17" machines. The width on this stand is fixed - not adjustable. We are now using it for my little 13" machine. Originally, we intended to use it for our 17" laptop, but it really isn't deep enough to support the machine - nor wide enough - very precarious. Much of the weight in our 17" resides in the back. With the front clips installed on the stand, the back of the laptop hangs over the back edge and teeters off. I would not feel comfortable using this without front clips.

Great stand, but I wouldn't recommend it for any laptop over 15"

Otherwise, the quality is great, as is the case with most Griffin products.

Amazon is great - fast shipping and I strongly recommend Prime.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a laptop stand that allowed me to use my laptop as a desktop replacement. This stand is simple, nice looking, functional and contrary to a review I read, stable. I suppose, there might be a laptop with a super slippery bottom that might allow the laptop to fall if it is bumped by accident, but honestly it is hard for me to envision any laptop falling or sliding off the stand on it's own. I am currently using the stand with my Sony Vaio 15.6" laptop. In any case, let me return to my review:
1. The stand lifts the laptop monitor up to a height that is the perfect height for me.. the top of the monitor is just below eye level.
2. The design of the stand allows it to not have any side rails so that any keyboard, no matter what size, can be stored under the laptop freeing up the maximum desk space when the laptop is not in use.
3. The stand is very sturdy and stable. The stand has a very slight angle forward to counter-balance the monitor screen and expose the laptop keyboard to the user. The high quality rubber on the solid metal bracing provides a sturdy and stable base for the laptop. As I stated earlier, I can't imagine this falling or slipping off the stand unless the table is not stable or if it is accidentally knocked off or yanked off by a cable, but this is true of most stands. There are plastic little tabs that stick up on the front of the stands for a super slippery laptop with a near zero frictional coefficient. ;)
4. The laptop stand looks cool. The laptop floats in the air. I have a cable that connects to the second monitor and a USB cable for additional storage, but other than that the stand, laptop, second monitor, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse create a very functional, cool looking, and clean desktop.
I shopped for a long time for this stand and am very pleased with it. Oh, the amazon price was substantially lower than what I saw this stand for elsewhere (or even with other vendors on Amazon.)
I hope this is helpful.

Rich
on March 15, 2011
I've owned this for 4 years, and for the most part it's been great. I logged on today to replace it. My MB Pro 13 inch has fallen off 4 or 5 times now when I've walked away from my desk. The most recent time it fell onto a concrete floor. At that point I decided it's worth it to replace this stand with the M-stand which has a lip to prevent your machine sliding down. It's served me well, but that costly flaw means it's not worth keeping.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2009
THIS STAND IS DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRUST IT TO SUPPORT YOUR LAPTOP.

This stand loses grip over time. A few nights ago, I watched (in slow motion horror accompanied by a classic muffled/panicked "nooooooooooo...." for added effect) as my macbook pro slid off the stand and onto my kitchen floor. The laptop was fully on the stand prior to sliding off. After that, the laptop wouldn't boot.

I took my laptop to the Apple store to have it diagnosed. My hard drive was broken because of the fall. This was not all. I now have a big dent on my laptop and a ding in my kitchen floor.

I called Griffin Technology to see what they could do for me. They said that since the stand was more than 2 months old that it was not a manufacturing defect and that they would be unable to cover the cost of the replacement hard drive and shell. The hard drive and new torx set cost over $120. I don't even want to guess how much a new macbook pro shell would cost me.

It is concerning that Griffin believes that a $30+ stand which supports a multi-thousand dollar computer should only be stable for one to two months.

I spent the next day dissembling my laptop, installing a new hard drive, attempting to bend my laptop shell back into shape, reassembling my laptop, restoring OS-X and the environment that I had on the computer.

I should have trusted my first instinct to not buy products from Griffin.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I recently purchased this in Sydney, and though I can't confirm what you'll receive from Amazon, I can confirm from other reviews that the latest versions of this Griffin product come with plastic clips on the end which precent the laptop from ever sliding off the stand.

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of this product. The two aluminium struts feel substantial and have a decent, have generous rubber pads for feet, and I'm seeing some decent operating temperature improvements on my 2010 i7 15" Macbook Pro - probably a drop somewhere around 5 degrees Celsius for the toasty CPU temperatures. There's only the slightest wobble when the Macbook is touched (as can be expected), but as a stand to keep the Macbook alongside an external monitor it's great. It raises the laptop to eye-level, and leaves a little space underneath to maybe put an external hard drive, router, or whatever else you might fancy with your newfound desk space. All for a decent price.

I'm not giving this product five stars, only because I'm not so keen on the look of the plastic base unit, and I wish the plastic clips had been integrated into the original design so that the aluminium simply curved upwards. While it's fantastic that the whole unit is detachable and therefore easily portable, I just find the clear acrylic looks a bit tacky. From a functional standpoint, I'm pleased.
on March 26, 2011
When first purchased, this stand worked well. It's stylish, inexpensive, holds the laptop at a nice angle, and collapses down to a very portable size. However, after a couple of years the rubber pads lose their "stick" and your laptop will just slide right off. It will still hold my older 13" white plastic Macbook fairly securely, but my unibody 13" MacBook Pro slides off far too easily now.

I can't really recommend this stand. It becomes a danger to your laptop after a couple of years. I need to replace mine with a Rain Designs stand, or something similar that has a "lip" at the bottom and will safely hold the laptop.

UPDATE: it's possible to 'refresh' the rubber with rubbing alcohol. You'll have give it a rubdown every so often, but it does extend the life of the stand and lets you safely stick a unibody laptop on it. However, unless you need a portable stand, I'd still get something with a lip that doesn't rely on rubber.
on September 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
Product looks great! It has the same metal finish as a MacBook Pro so it looks sleek and professional. My only problem with the stand is that It's higher than I thought , and the angle of the dip is less acute than what the picture illustrates. It's almost a 90 degree angle , which is basically a flat surface.
on October 26, 2011
The product does what it does - it lifts up your laptop. But that doesn't mean Griffin did it right.

I often find the Elevator lacking in sturdiness. Just a slight touch to the arms almost guarantees a vigorous shake. The arms are also too small that I doubt it would collapse one day.

I have put the Griffin Elevator away and now use mStand, as it's just much sturdier and much more aesthetically pleasing.

Update: This product is unacceptable. I'm using a wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse to work with my MacBook Pro, and every time I place my hands on and leave from the table, the product wobbles vigorously. This is hands down the worst notebook stand I've ever seen and I advise against using it. I'm getting the mStand.
on April 10, 2012
I read some of the reviews and see how some say good things and bad. All I can say is this stand is perfect for what I was trying to accomplish.
It elevates my 17" MBP sturdily allowing me to store my Large Intuous pad underneath when not in use. With the help of a wireless keyboard & magic track pad, I have a completely versatile work station allowing me to switch easily between typing and design. Plus the stand puts my screen more at eye level for my Photoshop work, instead of before having to look down, or slide down in my chair to do detailed work.

The arms hold my laptop well, the skids keep it in place and the clips in the front keep it from sliding down. I really should have configured this a long time ago - but VERY happy that I at least did it recently.
review image
on December 26, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is the second (identical) stand that I have purchased. I've been using one for my 14" MacBook Pro to lift it up above my Wacom Cintiq tablet and it's perfect. Minimal design, and allows for plenty of air flow underneath (and space for cables and connectors). The second stand that I purchased was for my husband's set up on his desk - he kept threatening to steal mine.

I've had absolutely no issues with sliding, bouncing, or any other movement. There are little clear shelf clips that attach to the ends that keep your laptop from sliding off - those are not plainly visible in the photos in this listing.