5.0 out of 5 stars This one is capable of audio!
This is the Griffin model that's selling for almost twice this much on Apple's website. It is capable of carrying audio over HDMI from my 13" Macbook Pro 2010 model. Seems like a strong converter. I have no fear of it bending and tearing over time. Everything looks and sounds great.
Published on May 4, 2010 by J. Burley

3.0 out of 5 stars Connects display to iMac Thunderbolt
This adapter works well and seems to be well made. Only time will tell about its lifespan, but I am using it with a desktop so it will not be subjected to periodic plugging/unplugging or cable tugging.

Published on June 11, 2012 by olderbutwiser

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is capable of audio!, May 4, 2010
J. Burley (Portland. OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Griffin Technology GC17096 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI Video Display Converter (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio AND Video work to HDMI TV from OS X 10.6.6, February 8, 2011
I have a macbook pro that I purchased January 2011 with OS X 10.6.6 and I wanted to have an HDMI output that would work to my Samsung TV with both sound and video. This Item worked without any issues. I did not have any problems with the computer or television. I did not have to turn either of them on or off. My TV has a specific HDMI port for DVI. I made sure to plug the cord into that port. The picture went through to the TV as soon as I plugged in the adapter and cord and changed the source on the TV to the corresponding HDMI. For sound, on the Mac, I had to go into System Preferences>Sound>Output>HDMI. Once selected, at the bottom it said, "The Selected Device has no output controls". I don't know what that means, but apparently I didn't need that for sound to go through to my TV. The only thing I noticed was that if I had a specific program/video playing before I plugged in the adapter, the sound would not go through. I had to quit the program, plug in the adapter and cords, and then open the application. The adapter seems to be of good quality. I do not have any reason to believe that it will go bad from normal use. I would recommend this product if you find yourself in a situation similar to mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars best hdmi converter available for the macbook pro, November 27, 2011
This item was purchased 5 months ago and it's still going strong. I previously went through 2 converters from various sellers on amazon and they both broke within a month. I'm student and constantly plugging and unplugging my macbook to take it to class. This means a lot of stress on the converter, but Griffin has done a good job making a converter that will keep up with me. The included adapter is a plus. If you are looking for an affordable and well designed adapter, look no further.

3.0 out of 5 stars Connects display to iMac Thunderbolt, June 11, 2012

Its packaging and Amazon's description advertise it solely for laptops with the mini DisplayPort, but as several other reviewers have mentioned it is also for adding a second monitor to an iMac through Thunderbolt (same connector profile; combines PCI Express and DisplayPort). I use this adapter with a DVI cable between a 27" iMac and a Dell ST2421L display, and the installation was simply plug-and-play. The monitor auto-senses VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I had the DVI cable so I haven't tried HDMI, but in this two-part adapter the signal actually goes from mini DisplayPort to HDMI in the dongle and then from HDMI to DVI in the second part.

Updated 11 Oct 2012: The HDMI to DVI adapter failed within a relatively short time. The picture was all static; it was not a total signal loss and not the fault of the DVI cable (I tried another). I removed the adapter and have been running with the HDMI dongle and cable without a problem for several months. I dropped the rating to 3 stars, but a more accurate assessment would be 5 stars for HDMI and zero stars for DVI.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, design a little annoying, February 9, 2012
This product is great for using with your Macbook Pro. I have the model from early 2010 when they started having the audio and video come out of the Mini DisplayPort and this product did the trick. I really love it and use it all of the time. I would say the one negative is that the piece is very rigid and doesn't allow you to bend it freely. After about a year and a half the base is finally bending because the plastic wore away, fortunately it still works fine! I would recommend if the rigid base doesn't bother you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Quality Adaptor, March 4, 2011
James Rose (Marysville, WA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this adapter along with a HDMI Cable to send a high definition audio and video signal from my 2010 iMac to my HDTV. Set up was easy, just a few steps in the iMac settings and before I knew it I was able to have a choice of mirroring my iMac display or extending the desktop. Another setting switched the sound over to the TV. I was a little concerned at first because the picture didn't look quite right and the mouse was a little "jumpy" on the TV, but it turned out that I neeeded to adjust the refresh rate in the iMac external monitor settings from 24 to 60. Then things looked perfect.
The adaptor construction seems very rugged. I like the smooth exterior, nothing for it to snag on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with OS X 10.6.5 and new 13.3" MacBook Pro, December 28, 2010
I bought this adapter from Amazon and it worked perfectly with the MacBook Pro 13.3' that I bought in early December of this year, running Mac OS X 10.6.5. I did not need any firmware upgrades.

With the TV that I was connecting to turned off, I connected the MacBook Pro using this adapter and an HDMI cable, turned on the MacBook, then turned on the TV, and the TV mirrored the display after I'd selected HDMI input on the TV's setup menu. There were a couple of seconds where both displays were blank while they synced. I did have to go to System Preferences>Sound on the MacBook Pro and select HDMI to get sound to the TV.

I've seen a fair amount of discussion on the web about viewing an external mirrored display with the MacBook Pro closed by connecting a USB or Bluetooth mouse or keyboard. Apple even has a posting on its support site addressing this. After I had the TV mirroring the display I just pressed the F1 key to dim the display on the MacBook Pro until it was gone, which, I think, accomplishes the same thing. With the MacBook Pro remaining open, you have ready access to the trackpad and cursor to control playback functions (visible only on the remote display (TV) once you essentially shut off the MacBook Pro's display with the F1 key).

Bill H.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted (8 months), November 17, 2012
This is the second converter I've had to replace. While it functioned well during the 8 months I don't know whether it's really worth it to keep paying this much money each time. It seems like there are only bad to worse options in this scenario.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy and Satisfied, June 25, 2012
I bought this adapter because I had bought a non brand adapter before from amazon which died on me a few weeks of use. I did my research and found that this adapter is carried by the apple store but at a much higher price than amazon. So I went for it and so far it has been working beautifully. No complaints, only praises. Its durable, not flimsy, easy to connect, and does the job. I should have gotten this one that those off brand low cost adapters because now I lost that money since those die on you after a few weeks of use. Spend the extra cash and be safe in having one that does the job done. I hope this helps those out there considering it. Don't buy, and I repeat, don't buy the cheaper ones because you will be disappointed. I know I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adapter, May 20, 2012
I've been using this adapter with two mid-2010 macbook pros for about a year and a half. The video and audio output works flawlessly with both our Samsung LCD TV and HP LCD monitor.

My only complaint is that I lost it during a move and now need to order another! :)

$39.99 $25.69
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies