Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 20, 2011
Like many others my HTC Evo first saw this charger as a USB charger and would not draw enough power to maintain a charge while GPS navigating and streaming music at the same time.

Following the USB charger spec I cracked open the case and soldered the two middle (USB data) pins together on both sides of the unit.

The disassembly of the case damaged it slightly and this obviously voided my warranty, but the results are as good as one could hope for. In our Nissan Altima the modded version of this adapter was able to positively charge both the Evo under full load as well as an iPad 2 at the same time.

I've posted a photo of the pins to solder for reference for those who are brave and own a soldering iron.
review image
100100 comments|560 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2011
I purchased this looking for a smaller charger and I love Griffin products. The description for this product says that it is "2 A" and can charge a variety of electronic devices which connect to a USB charger. The packaging more clearly describes the charger as having two USB ports which produce 1 A each. It appears that the description is adding the two together which is not helpful. Ipods and Iphones only need 1A or 1 amp chargers while the Ipad needs a 2A or 2 amp charger. Two 1 amp charging ports does not equal one 2 amp charging port.

Other than that - a great product.
1717 comments|328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2012
What an utter disappointment! I studied a lot of the Amazon customer reviews on this, and decided to buy two of this directly from Amazon. Although I could've gotten a better price from another Amazon vendor, I chose Amazon explicitly because I was worried about getting a fake product, like some others were concerned. Another reason why I ordered two of them is because many other reviewers had suggested to open it and solder the D+ and D- pins together (see some of the customer images and notes) in order to use it as a proper charger. With that in mind, I was going to use one as a guinea pig, in case if I render it useless, and use the second one for real.

When the package arrived, they did not come in the original boxes with UPC code, etc. It simply came in a plastic bag. I was instantly wary. Then I noticed that both did not come the same way! One by itself, and another one along with a supposed "Micro USB" cable, as Griffin Technology site's product description had. I automatically assumed that the first one was fake.

After carefully studying the devices side by side, it was apparent that one of them has got to be fake. The logo color was off, the logo printing was skewed, the warning message were different font and size, and most telling of all? The fake one was poorly assembled with large gaps, whereas the other one has closer finish and build. (See my uploaded pics.)

Naturally, I didn't even bother trying out the fake one. But when I tried out the better of the two (I can't even attest that what I got from Amazon was authentic), it didn't work, as I had expected. And that wasn't the worst of my immediate worries. I was not able to remove it from my ciggy lighter receptacle! In the Acura, the receptacle is recessed, so it is impossible to use your fingers to pull it out! The only method I was able to pull that out was with dental floss. Fold a long floss in half, turn it into a lasso, and lasso the end of the Powerjolt. Do the same again but on the opposite end. I am sure I could find a tool, like a screw thong type device, but I didn't have one big enough to fit the girth.

When I was finally able to pull the Powerjolt out of the receptacle, I decided to crack it open to do my soldering. That's when I noticed the difference in gap separation between the two. And I also noticed that I could peer inside through the negative pins, which between the two, had completely different designs and layouts (differently placed capacitors, different colored boards, etc). That's when I decided to not even bother with soldering, and return both.

One of the biggest concerns for me, after reading someone's critical review that it kept on burning out, was that in the nearly impossible off chance that it starts smoking (due to being a fake), I will have no easy way to pull this out of my recessed receptacle. I'm not going to always have dental floss in the car, or any specialty thong to pull this out with in a hurry. So I decided to return these. Not to mention that the second package came with an USB Apple plug, not Micro USB plug, even though the package sticker indicates otherwise.

Oh, and one more thing? These came with greasy fingerprints all over. I'm not sure if that was from the factory, but all the little nuances did not give me any confidence that these are authentic. I am very disappointed with Amazon, and because of this experience, now I will think twice before opting for the Amazon Frustration-Free packaging. What assurance do I have that Amazon works with authorized suppliers?
review image review image review image review image review image review image
66 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
My Wife has the real Griffin Dual USB she bought from Walmart and it works like it should.
I thought i would save a couple bucks and some time by ordering it online. It stop working within a day! When i compared it to my Wifes' own that she has had for two years, You can see the fit and finish is way off and the plastic is cheap. Basically don't buy this knockoff Griffin charger. the only thing that makes this knockoff look like the original is the griffin logo.
Should have known better as soon as i saw the non branded packaging.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2010
I purchased this item to replace what looks like an older (and unsatisfactory) version of this product: Griffin Technology Powerjolt Dual Universal (Black). This new version has many benefits over the old... It does not work it's way out of the power socket like the old version, it is smaller, and it puts out more power (plenty to charge my DroidX which requires 850mA, this puts out 1A per socket).

I have been using it for a couple of months so far, and it's performed flawlessly.

EDIT 10/4/2012: I want to point out that I purchased a retail version from a big-box retailer, my review reflects my experience with the genuine product, and am not endorsing a specific seller here on Amazon. Looking over some of the recent reviews, there appears to be recent reports of counterfeit products being shipped by Amazon sellers! That is disappointing, please take this into consideration when purchasing!

FWIW, my original review is roughly two years old and the genuine product is still performing like a champ. Some other thoughts, my DroidX and X2 both charged at full power off of this, but my Galaxy Nexus dropped back into 500Ma range. I changed over to a Charge-Only USB cable (an alternative to cracking open the case and soldering the terminals) and charging resumed to a full 1000Ma of power.
on April 6, 2012
As previously stated this is not a genuine Griffin product. Came in a plastic bag, not the retail packaging. Tried this in my 2011 GTI. Charger would not charge my blackberry, my Wife's droid or her Ipod. Tried both 12v outlets in the car (one in the front, 1 in the rear) and tried a different cable. Even tried using it in our RX-8 with no change. Left it in the 12v socket with nothing plugged into it when I went for a 1/2 hr drive. Noticed burning smell in the car, pulled the charger from the socket and it was very warm to the touch, almost hot. Too cheap to bother returning.
on June 2, 2011
I researched chargers and bought one online for vacation, sadly its not getting here in time for the trip so I went and bought this one at the Wall. The reason I have had to research chargers is because the HTC Evo 4g has 2 separate charge settings. One is called USB(500 mah which comes from your computer or lower end chargers) and the other is AC(1 Amp which is wall chargers, etc...)

Now even though many chargers say 1 Amp per usb as this product does, some smart phones can't "see" the extra charge because manufacturers didn't link 2 points on the chip inside the charger. I have seen people on the internet open these things and solder those 2 points together and resolve the issue, however I don't know how to solder, so I am left with a car charger that says it charges at 1 Amp but when I plug in my phone it only charges at half the speed the box advertises.

Why is this so important? If I use my GPS or internet while its using this charger, it will drain the battery faster than it is being charged, the charger will be fighting a losing battle the entire trip. I gave the charger 3 stars because it will work for 95% of the people who buy it, but anyone who has a high end smart phone will have to buy this to find out if it charges their phone at its advertised speed.
on December 30, 2011
Be warned, this is not an actual Griffin Powerjolt. It appears to be a knockoff. The imprinted logo and brand name is low resolution, it does not come in retail packaging, and does not come with the USB to iPod cable the real one does (I have two of the real ones). It probably works (judging from the many positive reviews), but I didn't trust it so didn't try. Amazon does carry the real thing for a little more. I'm giving it one star since the listing is miss leading and the description says "Integrated coiled cable resists tangles" but it doesn't actually include a cable.
on July 29, 2012
This item looks and fits wonderful. However it lasted a week. Now it has this horrible burnt smell so its going in the trash. Its not worth the postage to return it. I am most disappointed.
on April 26, 2011
I have had this charger for about 3 months now. I bought it thinking that it would save on space in the car. It does. This is so small that it hardly even sticks out. Charges my Droid X well. About 2 weeks ago mine busted though. I went to charge my phone and the little white guide in the charger snapped and got stuck in my USB cable. Also I would not suggest leaving it plugged in when not in use. I had forgot about the little thing and was cleaning out my car when I noticed it was still plugged in. I pulled it out and it was hot, the heat from the charger was crazy. I wonder if that had something to do with the plastic breaking. I am still unsure if I will buy another one or not.
66 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse